Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Parmesan cheese sold at stores including Walmart and Whole Foodsmight not be what you think it is

On 2/17/2016 4:08 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> http://www.chron.com/technology/busi...rmesan-cheese-
> sold-at-stores-including-Walmart-6834174.php
>
> A new report shows your favorite Parmesan cheese may contain some
> ingredients that you might find disconcerting.
>
> Bloomberg News tested store-bought grated cheeses for cellulose, revealing
> that all of the cheeses tested contained the anti-clumping additive made
> of wood pulp.
>
> Walmart's Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8%
> cellulose, while Jewel-Osco's Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan
> Cheese clocked in at 8.8%.
>
> Kraft had 3.8%.
> Cheese makers and retailers told Bloomberg they were investigating the
> test results further.
>
> Cellulose is a safe additive, Bloomberg notes, listed as an ingredient in
> these "100%" cheeses. However, an acceptable level is 2% to 4%.
>
> Whole Foods does not list cellulose as an ingredient, but the Whole Foods
> 365 Parmesan tested at 0.3% cellulose.
>
> The company told Bloomberg it is investigating the matter, but believes
> the test may have been a false positive.
>
> Cheese makers often mix in higher levels of the wood pulp when making
> cheese because it is more inexpensive than pure Parmesan.
>
> The FDA is investigating another cheese marker: Castle Cheese Inc.
>
> The company’s president is scheduled this month to plead guilty to pumping
> products full of cellulose and using cheaper cheddar instead of real
> Romano.

I used to work with a Vietnamese gal that has a family candy factory in
VN. She told me that some people there are making food product filled
with plastic. I'm not sure what kind of plastic she was talking about
but it seems to me that cellulose would be an upgrade in quality! What's
the problem?