Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Induction hobs and stainless cookware

I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.

Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.

If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2015 2:45 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
> the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>
> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
> they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
> stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
> compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
> it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>
> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.

I haven't tried with RevereWare, but I have a number of stainless steel
pieces. The _only_ ones which work on my induction hob, are the ones a
magnet sticks to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to the
> bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>
> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so they're
> nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
> "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
> (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but since
> it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>
> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.

Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction plane
converter which allows regular pans to be used.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:45:25 AM UTC-10, zxcvbob wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
> the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>
> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
> they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
> stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
> compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
> it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>
> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

They make 3500W portables? Hoo boy, that would be something! I dumped most of my cookware because I got an induction range. I certainly won't be going back to non-induction. OTOH, they got induction units that work with all metals in Asia. That's cool. Beats the heck out of me why we're so backwards in cooking technology in the states. That's not right!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:45:25 AM UTC-10, zxcvbob wrote:
>> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>> the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>>
>> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>> they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
>> stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
>> compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
>> it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>>
>> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> They make 3500W portables? Hoo boy, that would be something! I dumped most of my cookware because I got an induction range. I certainly won't be going back to non-induction. OTOH, they got induction units that work with all metals in Asia. That's cool. Beats the heck out of me why we're so backwards in cooking technology in the states. That's not right!

We're like that with everything.

How freaking long did it take us to get rack and pinion steering and
McPherson struts?

Next cooktop I get I'm spec'ing induction with an open coil electric
grilling burner.

I don't know who makes that setup, but I will find it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>> the
>> bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>>
>> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>> they're
>> nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
>> "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
>> (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but since
>> it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>>
>> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>>

> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction plane
> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>
> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html

I've seen those (no need for something that fancy and expensive) but
afraid it would get too hot and melt or break the glass cooktop.

It would be interesting to put a circle of carbon steel or magnetic
stainless *inside* a non-induction pot, so the food (presumably liquid)
can conduct the heat away as fast as it's produced.

Overall it sounds like my Revere cookware /probably/ won't work

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>>> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>>> the
>>> bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>>>
>>> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>>> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>>> they're
>>> nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
>>> "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
>>> (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but since
>>> it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>>>
>>> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>>> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>>>

>> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction
>> plane
>> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>>
>> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html

> I've seen those (no need for something that fancy and expensive) but
> afraid it would get too hot and melt or break the glass cooktop.
>
> It would be interesting to put a circle of carbon steel or magnetic
> stainless *inside* a non-induction pot, so the food (presumably liquid)
> can conduct the heat away as fast as it's produced.
>
> Overall it sounds like my Revere cookware /probably/ won't work

Well, good luck. I hope you can get what you need.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 3:27:18 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:45:25 AM UTC-10, zxcvbob wrote:
> > I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> > cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
> > the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
> >
> > Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> > before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
> > they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
> > stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
> > compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
> > it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
> >
> > If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> > steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

> They make 3500W portables? Hoo boy, that would be something! I dumped most of my cookware because I got an induction range. I certainly won't be going back to non-induction. OTOH, they got induction units that work with all metals in Asia. That's cool. Beats the heck out of me why we're so backwards in cooking technology in the states. That's not right!

Everything is cheap on the mainland. I don't care if my
stove spills heat all over; natural gas is inexpensive
and my furnace can use the help from November through
April. May through October I do a lot of cooking outside,
on a gas grill that is also powered by natural gas.

I have a portable induction burner that I received as
a Christmas present. I very rarely use it--typically
only when I drag it outdoors for caramelizing onions
or cooking bacon. The side burner on the gas grill just
isn't sufficiently well regulated for that.
well regulated. I also have a 40-year-old portable
electric coil two-burner hot plate that I sometimes use.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 11:24:30 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 3:27:18 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:45:25 AM UTC-10, zxcvbob wrote:
> > > I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> > > cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
> > > the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
> > >
> > > Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> > > before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
> > > they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
> > > stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
> > > compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
> > > it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
> > >
> > > If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> > > steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bob

> > They make 3500W portables? Hoo boy, that would be something! I dumped most of my cookware because I got an induction range. I certainly won't be going back to non-induction. OTOH, they got induction units that work with all metals in Asia. That's cool. Beats the heck out of me why we're so backwards in cooking technology in the states. That's not right!

> Everything is cheap on the mainland. I don't care if my
> stove spills heat all over; natural gas is inexpensive
> and my furnace can use the help from November through
> April. May through October I do a lot of cooking outside,
> on a gas grill that is also powered by natural gas.
>
> I have a portable induction burner that I received as
> a Christmas present. I very rarely use it--typically
> only when I drag it outdoors for caramelizing onions
> or cooking bacon. The side burner on the gas grill just
> isn't sufficiently well regulated for that.
> well regulated. I also have a 40-year-old portable
> electric coil two-burner hot plate that I sometimes use.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'd probably use gas if I lived up North and had a choice. My guess is that people will be using gas and induction ranges in the future.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:45:15 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>
>Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
>stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
>compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
>it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>
>If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

No the Revere Ware won't work. Not even the ones with a steel plate.
We have a Nu Wave Pro. If you happen to be looking at it, they offer
a number of a pots and pans that are not too exorbitant.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:45:15 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>> the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>>
>> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>> they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
>> stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
>> compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
>> it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>>
>> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> No the Revere Ware won't work. Not even the ones with a steel plate.
> We have a Nu Wave Pro. If you happen to be looking at it, they offer
> a number of a pots and pans that are not too exorbitant.

Two words - All Clad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote in
:

> OTOH, they got induction units
> that work with all metals in Asia. That's cool. Beats the heck out of
> me why we're so backwards in cooking technology in the states. That's
> not right!

Can you give us a source or references for that statement? Since the
definition of induction cooking is use of a magnetic field to excite metal
and produce heat, it would seem that use of non-magnetic metal cookware,
like aluminum, is a contradiction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> "Ophelia" > Wrote in message:
>>

>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>>> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>>> the
>>> bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>>>
>>> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>>> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>>> they're
>>> nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
>>> "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
>>> (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but since
>>> it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>>>
>>> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>>> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>>>

>> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction
>> plane
>> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>>
>> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html
>>

> Kind of pricey but good to know! TY!

Yes they do look expensive. I suppose the trade off is how much it would
cost to replace all your pots.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:17:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
web.com...

>>> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction
>>> plane
>>> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>>>
>>> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html
>>>

>> Kind of pricey but good to know! TY!

>Yes they do look expensive. I suppose the trade off is how much it would
>cost to replace all your pots.

Unless you are replacing your stove there is no need to replace all of
your pots and pans. He is talking about getting the equivalent of a
hot plate. We have one. DH purchased some of the pots and pans that
work on it. Some of our regular pots and pans also work on it. Ours
gets used almost daily.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:17:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
aweb.com...

>>> Kind of pricey but good to know! TY!

>>Yes they do look expensive. I suppose the trade off is how much it would
>>cost to replace all your pots.

> Unless you are replacing your stove there is no need to replace all of
> your pots and pans. He is talking about getting the equivalent of a
> hot plate. We have one. DH purchased some of the pots and pans that
> work on it. Some of our regular pots and pans also work on it. Ours
> gets used almost daily.

Yes, I realised that, I was just speaking in general.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> "Ophelia" > Wrote in message:
>>

>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>>> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>>> the
>>> bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>>>
>>> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>>> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>>> they're
>>> nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
>>> "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
>>> (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but since
>>> it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>>>
>>> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>>> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>>>

>> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction
>> plane
>> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>>
>> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html
>>

> Kind of pricey but good to know! TY!

Hey, look at this one:

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...-prodst09262i/

It seems they don't all have to be horrendously expensive!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/15 5:55 PM, Abiquiu wrote:

> Two words - All Clad.

Buy new, or test before you buy. A lot of older All Clad was
non-induction-compatible stainless steel.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/15 3:04 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction plane
> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>
> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html

I've tried several. As expected, they're very inefficient in heat
transfer, and you lose all of the fast response which is so important to
many induction users.

I've found them useful only for very, very low-heat tasks.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 12/10/15 3:04 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction
>> plane
>> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>>
>> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html

> I've tried several. As expected, they're very inefficient in heat
> transfer, and you lose all of the fast response which is so important to
> many induction users.
>
> I've found them useful only for very, very low-heat tasks.

Ok, I have no experience of them at all. I just thought I might mentioned
what I had seen.

As Susan pointed out though, it will probably just be one plate so not too
many pans will be needed. It's not as though it is a whole hob.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2015 8:59 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 12/10/15 5:55 PM, Abiquiu wrote:
>
>> Two words - All Clad.

> Buy new, or test before you buy. A lot of older All Clad was
> non-induction-compatible stainless steel.

True. I have some of the older All-Clad - it doesn't work on my
induction hob.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:
> On 12/10/15 5:55 PM, Abiquiu wrote:
>
>> Two words - All Clad.

> Buy new, or test before you buy. A lot of older All Clad was
> non-induction-compatible stainless steel.
>
> -- Larry

Point taken, agreed.

A cheap refrigerator magnet will suss out the usable stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 10:04:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> > I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> > cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to the
> > bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
> >
> > Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> > before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so they're
> > nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
> > "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
> > (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but since
> > it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
> >
> > If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> > steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
> >

> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction plane
> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>
> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The people that use that product seem to be pleased with it. I don't much care for it because it ruins with the purity of the concept - plus I just dumped a bunch of pans. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 10:04:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> > I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
>> > cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
>> > the
>> > bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
>> >
>> > Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
>> > before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
>> > they're
>> > nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
>> > "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
>> > (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but
>> > since
>> > it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
>> >
>> > If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
>> > steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
>> >

>> Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction
>> plane
>> converter which allows regular pans to be used.
>>
>> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html
>>

> The people that use that product seem to be pleased with it. I don't much
> care for it because it ruins with the purity of the concept - plus I just
> dumped a bunch of pans. Hee hee.

If you were happy to do that then why not)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 11:12:08 AM UTC-10, zxcvbob wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> >> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> >> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
> >> the
> >> bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
> >>
> >> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> >> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
> >> they're
> >> nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all stamped
> >> "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction compatible?
> >> (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to it, but since
> >> it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
> >>
> >> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> >> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
> >>

> > Bob I don't know if you have seen them, but you can get an induction plane
> > converter which allows regular pans to be used.
> >
> > http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html
> >

> I've seen those (no need for something that fancy and expensive) but
> afraid it would get too hot and melt or break the glass cooktop.
>
> It would be interesting to put a circle of carbon steel or magnetic
> stainless *inside* a non-induction pot, so the food (presumably liquid)
> can conduct the heat away as fast as it's produced.
>
> Overall it sounds like my Revere cookware /probably/ won't work
>
> Bob

That's good idea, I think it might work well if the metal of the cookware is fairly thin and flat to the surface i.e., like Revere Ware.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 10:32:52 PM UTC-10, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> dsi1 <> wrote in
> :
>
> > OTOH, they got induction units
> > that work with all metals in Asia. That's cool. Beats the heck out of
> > me why we're so backwards in cooking technology in the states. That's
> > not right!

> Can you give us a source or references for that statement? Since the
> definition of induction cooking is use of a magnetic field to excite metal
> and produce heat, it would seem that use of non-magnetic metal cookware,
> like aluminum, is a contradiction.

Evidently you can induce eddy currents in non-ferrous metals like aluminum and copper to heat them up. The problem with these units, as I understand it, is lower efficiency, noisy operation, and your pans tend to levitate - although that would be a plus in my book.

"There have been attempts to get around the limitations of induction cooking: Panasonic introduced a model in 2009 that they claimed worked with all metal cookware, widening the range of pans that could be used. This worked by increasing the frequency of the alternating magnetic field, so the current in the pans flowed faster, and produced the heating effect in a wider range of metals. However, this model does not seem to be available outside of Japan, and it was more expensive than normal induction cooktops, so it doesn't seem to have been a success. According to some reports, this high-frequency field caused the pans to levitate slightly, so the manual recommended that the pans should always be fairly full, otherwise the pans had a habit of sliding off the cooktop."

http://www.cnet.com/news/appliance-s...tion-cooktops/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 10:32:52 PM UTC-10, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> dsi1 <> wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> OTOH, they got induction units
>>> that work with all metals in Asia. That's cool. Beats the heck out of
>>> me why we're so backwards in cooking technology in the states. That's
>>> not right!

>> Can you give us a source or references for that statement? Since the
>> definition of induction cooking is use of a magnetic field to excite metal
>> and produce heat, it would seem that use of non-magnetic metal cookware,
>> like aluminum, is a contradiction.

> Evidently you can induce eddy currents in non-ferrous metals like aluminum and copper to heat them up. The problem with these units, as I understand it, is lower efficiency, noisy operation, and your pans tend to levitate - although that would be a plus in my book.
>
> "There have been attempts to get around the limitations of induction cooking: Panasonic introduced a model in 2009 that they claimed worked with all metal cookware, widening the range of pans that could be used. This worked by increasing the frequency of the alternating magnetic field, so the current in the pans flowed faster, and produced the heating effect in a wider range of metals. However, this model does not seem to be available outside of Japan, and it was more expensive than normal induction cooktops, so it doesn't seem to have been a success. According to some reports, this high-frequency field caused the pans to levitate slightly, so the manual recommended that the pans should always be fairly full, otherwise the pans had a habit of sliding off the cooktop."
>
> http://www.cnet.com/news/appliance-s...tion-cooktops/

Dude!

Those are obviously Ayurvedic pans from India!!!!

;-)

Highly recommended for making ghee...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 12:55:04 PM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
> The Cook wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:45:15 -0600, zxcvbob >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm thinking about getting a 1800W (or maybe 3500W) portable induction
> >> cooktop. This will mainly be for brewing beer, and a magnet sticks to
> >> the bottom of my big brew kettle so I know it will work.
> >>
> >> Most of my cookware is Revere Ware; I think all the pieces were bought
> >> before they went bankrupt and reorganized in the late 1980's -- so
> >> they're nice and thick with copper bottoms. I think they are all
> >> stamped "Clinton, IL". Does anyone know if this stuff is induction
> >> compatible? (have you actually tried it?) A magnet does not stick to
> >> it, but since it is steel I don't know that that's a definitive test.
> >>
> >> If the only things usable on it are my big brew kettle, cast iron, my
> >> steel wok, and Graniteware, that's okay but kind of a letdown.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Bob

> > No the Revere Ware won't work. Not even the ones with a steel plate.
> > We have a Nu Wave Pro. If you happen to be looking at it, they offer
> > a number of a pots and pans that are not too exorbitant.
> >

> Two words - All Clad.

I've bought several high quality, SS frying pan with a very nice non-stick coating at Safeway for under $30 on sale. It's surprising how hard it is to get a non-stick induction pan. Most non-stick pans are spun-aluminum but that's going to change as more people switch over to induction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 12:55:04 PM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
>> The Cook wrote:

>>> No the Revere Ware won't work. Not even the ones with a steel plate.
>>> We have a Nu Wave Pro. If you happen to be looking at it, they offer
>>> a number of a pots and pans that are not too exorbitant.
>>>

>> Two words - All Clad.

> I've bought several high quality, SS frying pan with a very nice non-stick coating at Safeway for under $30 on sale.

Wow, they're really offering some good stuff out your way.

> It's surprising how hard it is to get a non-stick induction pan.

Anolon.

> Most non-stick pans are spun-aluminum but that's going to change as more people switch over to induction.

Yeppers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:08:53 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 10:32:52 PM UTC-10, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> >> dsi1 <> wrote in
> >> :

> >> Can you give us a source or references for that statement? Since the
> >> definition of induction cooking is use of a magnetic field to excite metal
> >> and produce heat, it would seem that use of non-magnetic metal cookware,
> >> like aluminum, is a contradiction.

> > Evidently you can induce eddy currents in non-ferrous metals like aluminum and copper to heat them up. The problem with these units, as I understand it, is lower efficiency, noisy operation, and your pans tend to levitate - although that would be a plus in my book.
> >
> > "There have been attempts to get around the limitations of induction cooking: Panasonic introduced a model in 2009 that they claimed worked with all metal cookware, widening the range of pans that could be used. This worked by increasing the frequency of the alternating magnetic field, so the current in the pans flowed faster, and produced the heating effect in a wider range of metals. However, this model does not seem to be available outside of Japan, and it was more expensive than normal induction cooktops, so it doesn't seem to have been a success. According to some reports, this high-frequency field caused the pans to levitate slightly, so the manual recommended that the pans should always be fairly full, otherwise the pans had a habit of sliding off the cooktop."
> >
> > http://www.cnet.com/news/appliance-s...tion-cooktops/
> >

> Dude!
>
> Those are obviously Ayurvedic pans from India!!!!

Those guys are fake, this is the real deal!

> ;-)
>
> Highly recommended for making ghee...

You gots yer ghee and then you gots yer MYSTICAL ghee. Which one would you insist be in your kitchen?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:08:53 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Evidently you can induce eddy currents in non-ferrous metals like aluminum and copper to heat them up. The problem with these units, as I understand it, is lower efficiency, noisy operation, and your pans tend to levitate - although that would be a plus in my book.
>>>
>>> "There have been attempts to get around the limitations of induction cooking: Panasonic introduced a model in 2009 that they claimed worked with all metal cookware, widening the range of pans that could be used. This worked by increasing the frequency of the alternating magnetic field, so the current in the pans flowed faster, and produced the heating effect in a wider range of metals. However, this model does not seem to be available outside of Japan, and it was more expensive than normal induction cooktops, so it doesn't seem to have been a success. According to some reports, this high-frequency field caused the pans to levitate slightly, so the manual recommended that the pans should always be fairly full, otherwise the pans had a habit of sliding off the cooktop."
>>>
>>> http://www.cnet.com/news/appliance-s...tion-cooktops/
>>>

>> Dude!
>>
>> Those are obviously Ayurvedic pans from India!!!!

> Those guys are fake, this is the real deal!

So you say, but have you ever been to Fairfield, Iowa???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXAB5L3EIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLj8DMqaC8

Or just?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJ0XtSgbp0

>> ;-)
>>
>> Highly recommended for making ghee...

> You gots yer ghee and then you gots yer MYSTICAL ghee. Which one would you insist be in your kitchen?

I'm taking the mystical stuff all day long!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:12:22 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> Two words - All Clad.

> > I've bought several high quality, SS frying pan with a very nice non-stick coating at Safeway for under $30 on sale.

> Wow, they're really offering some good stuff out your way.

I can't recommend the other pans sold at Safeway. They are the usual cheaply built aluminum stuff. This one is heavy SS sandwich construction with an all metal handle. For some reason, pans with all metal handles tend to be better quality. I need frypans with an all-metal handle - I use them in the oven.

> > It's surprising how hard it is to get a non-stick induction pan.

> Anolon.

They're nice pans and I'd get them - if they were under $30.

> > Most non-stick pans are spun-aluminum but that's going to change as more people switch over to induction.

> Yeppers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:12:22 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> I've bought several high quality, SS frying pan with a very nice non-stick coating at Safeway for under $30 on sale.

>> Wow, they're really offering some good stuff out your way.

> I can't recommend the other pans sold at Safeway. They are the usual cheaply built aluminum stuff. This one is heavy SS sandwich construction with an all metal handle. For some reason, pans with all metal handles tend to be better quality. I need frypans with an all-metal handle - I use them in the oven.

Some of thee plastic composites are reported to be good to 400F, but not
enough to tempt me to melt them down.

>>> It's surprising how hard it is to get a non-stick induction pan.

>> Anolon.

> They're nice pans and I'd get them - if they were under $30.

If...indeed...

Get you one of those Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupons and look for a sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Abiquiu" > wrote in message

>> I can't recommend the other pans sold at Safeway. They are the usual
>> cheaply built aluminum stuff. This one is heavy SS sandwich construction
>> with an all metal handle. For some reason, pans with all metal handles
>> tend to be better quality. I need frypans with an all-metal handle - I
>> use them in the oven.

I like my Woll pans because the handles unclip. I don't know how they would
work on an induction hob though. They are very hefty.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

New kitchen -- no more portable induction hobs! pltrgyst[_2_] Cooking Equipment 27 15-05-2013 01:43 PM
induction hobs and titanium stents Jack Campin - bogus address Cooking Equipment 11 11-11-2009 03:32 AM
Induction Hobs Stu Cooking Equipment 0 19-02-2008 12:50 AM
induction hobs [email protected] General Cooking 4 28-05-2007 10:58 PM
induction hobs whome General Cooking 7 23-08-2006 01:28 AM