Posted to rec.food.equipment,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.physics

Default induction hobs and titanium stents

[Yep. Weird crossposting.]

I have recently acquired:

(a) a Kenwood induction hob
(b) a bare-metal titanium stent in a coronary artery.

I'm not sure of the physics here, but I've sorta persuaded myself
I'm getting chest pain if I go too near the hob when it's running.

Do these hobs produce free fields that could transfer electrical
potentials or thermal energy to a braid of titanium wire in my
heart?

(I am not particularly hypochondriacal about the coronary artery
disease - it all happened rather too fast to be scary. But I do
draw the line at getting my heart cooked in the pursuit of better
soup).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Posted to rec.food.equipment,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.physics

Jack Campin wrote:

>[Yep. Weird crossposting.]
>
>I have recently acquired:
>
> (a) a Kenwood induction hob
> (b) a bare-metal titanium stent in a coronary artery.
>
>I'm not sure of the physics here, but I've sorta persuaded myself
>I'm getting chest pain if I go too near the hob when it's running.
>
>Do these hobs produce free fields that could transfer electrical
>potentials or thermal energy to a braid of titanium wire in my
>heart?

They may possibly cause inductive electrical currents to flow in your
stent resulting in it heating up. Bare metal stents are largely
stainless steel covered with titanium.

Love in the truth,

Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-certified Cardiologist
Posted to rec.food.equipment,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.physics

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote in article >:

>[Yep. Weird crossposting.]

That's what makes it interesting. :-)

>I have recently acquired:

> (a) a Kenwood induction hob
> (b) a bare-metal titanium stent in a coronary artery.

>I'm not sure of the physics here, but I've sorta persuaded myself
>I'm getting chest pain if I go too near the hob when it's running.

>Do these hobs produce free fields that could transfer electrical
>potentials or thermal energy to a braid of titanium wire in my
>heart?

I think you might be wise to pursue this, Jack, if only for your peace
of mind. I don't have an induction doodad around here--they're too
newfangled for me--but I have had three stents for the last 11 years.
I do know that anything involving induction has a force field that
*could* interact with many metals. But according to one Google
article [http://www.keytometals.com/Article122.htm] titanium is only
weakly affected by magnetism as contrasted with iron, for example.

OTOH, if it were my situation, I probably wouldn't make too much of
it, just as don't fret about high-tension power lines and mobile
phones at my ear. Whatever you decide, good luck with your new stent!
--
Don Kirkman

Posted to rec.food.equipment,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.physics

>> I have recently acquired:
>> (a) a Kenwood induction hob
>> (b) a bare-metal titanium stent in a coronary artery.
>> I'm not sure of the physics here, but I've sorta persuaded myself
>> I'm getting chest pain if I go too near the hob when it's running.
>> Do these hobs produce free fields that could transfer electrical
>> potentials or thermal energy to a braid of titanium wire in my
>> heart?

Hasn't somebody out there got a scrap stent that they can simply put
on an induction hob and turn the power on to see if it heats up?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:14:03 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
> wrote:

>>> I have recently acquired:
>>> (a) a Kenwood induction hob
>>> (b) a bare-metal titanium stent in a coronary artery.
>>> I'm not sure of the physics here, but I've sorta persuaded myself
>>> I'm getting chest pain if I go too near the hob when it's running.
>>> Do these hobs produce free fields that could transfer electrical
>>> potentials or thermal energy to a braid of titanium wire in my
>>> heart?

>Hasn't somebody out there got a scrap stent that they can simply put
>on an induction hob and turn the power on to see if it heats up?

YOu know, this is a fascinating thread. Someone posted that some
"titanium" stents are merely titanium plated, so the properties of the
underlying metal might take precedence. After all, the main function
of the exterior layer, be it S/S. titanium, or some polymer, is to
avoid coagulation of platelets and other problematic stuff in the
blood.

It is not inconceivable that a radio/electromagnetic field could
cause/induce a current, which might cause heat, or worse, electrical
leakage into the artery tissue. WhooBoy, that's scary. I empathize
with the OP.

But, if this were the case, would not the MFR issue warnings about
going through metal detectors, retail store sensors, and the like
because they might cause ill effects with the stent? Can you have
an MRI with a stent? Do the MRI people even ask whether you have
a stent in place? If not, why not?

Who made the stent? Do they have an advice (read: warning) on how
to live with the stent in place? I know that if I ever have a defib
unit implanted for my cardiac condition, there WILL be advisories
about where I can and cannot go.

Just food for thought. I don't think the OP is overreacting.

Alex, who also understands psychosomatic pain and phantom pain.

Posted to sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.equipment,sci.med,sci.med.physics

Jack Campin wrote:

>>> I have recently acquired:
>>> (a) a Kenwood induction hob
>>> (b) a bare-metal titanium stent in a coronary artery.
>>> I'm not sure of the physics here, but I've sorta persuaded myself
>>> I'm getting chest pain if I go too near the hob when it's running.
>>> Do these hobs produce free fields that could transfer electrical
>>> potentials or thermal energy to a braid of titanium wire in my
>>> heart?

>Hasn't somebody out there got a scrap stent that they can simply put
>on an induction hob and turn the power on to see if it heats up?

A small tuft of steel wool would be close enough to being equivalent.

Love in the truth,

Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-certified Cardiologist
and Author of "Trust the Truth:"
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002G22ZWG

Only the truth can cure the "hunger is starvation" delusion:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...81ab7d7ce78de?
Posted to sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.equipment,sci.med,sci.med.physics

Default SPAM

Spam

Posted to sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.equipment,sci.med,sci.med.physics

>> Hasn't somebody out there got a scrap stent that they can simply put
>> on an induction hob and turn the power on to see if it heats up?

> A small tuft of steel wool would be close enough to being equivalent.

Steel wool is ferromagnetic, titanium isn't.

I know steel heats on the thing. That's what it's for.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Posted to sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.equipment,sci.med,sci.med.physics

Jack Campin wrote:

>>> Hasn't somebody out there got a scrap stent that they can simply put
>>> on an induction hob and turn the power on to see if it heats up?

>> A small tuft of steel wool would be close enough to being equivalent.

> Steel wool is ferromagnetic, titanium isn't.

The stent in your coronary artery is stainless steel covered with
titanium.

Love in the truth,

Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-certified Heart Doctor
and Author of "Trust the Truth:"
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002G22ZWG

"... no one can say 'Jesus is LORD' except by the Holy Spirit." (1 Cor
12:3)
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...c93540862751c?

What are the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven?
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...b41e6999de315?

Only the truth can cure the "hunger is starvation" delusion:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...81ab7d7ce78de?
Posted to sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.equipment,sci.med,sci.med.physics

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:31:18 -0400 in rec.food.equipment, "Andrew B.
Chung, MD/PhD" > wrote,

>>Hasn't somebody out there got a scrap stent that they can simply put
>>on an induction hob and turn the power on to see if it heats up?

>A small tuft of steel wool would be close enough to being equivalent.

Don't forget to keep it a couple of feet away from the hob (the field
decreases rapidly with distance,) and inside a piece of meat.

Posted to sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.equipment,sci.med,sci.med.physics

David Harmon wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:31:18 -0400 in rec.food.equipment, "Andrew B.
> Chung, MD/PhD" > wrote,

>>> Hasn't somebody out there got a scrap stent that they can simply put
>>> on an induction hob and turn the power on to see if it heats up?

>> A small tuft of steel wool would be close enough to being equivalent.

> Don't forget to keep it a couple of feet away from the hob (the field
> decreases rapidly with distance,) and inside a piece of meat.

If the stink is magnetic then it will be effected if close enough. Induction
will not heat all metals for example aluminum, copper or 18/10 stainless
steel. However it will work with cast iron (enameled or not), carbon steels
(woks, French fry pans), or magnetic stainless steels. Your best bet is to
discuss it with your doctor ASAP as it could cause problems similar to a
microwave and pace makers.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.equipment,sci.med,sci.med.physics

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message

> If the stink is magnetic then it will be effected if close enough.
> Induction will not heat all metals for example aluminum, copper or 18/10
> stainless steel. However it will work with cast iron (enameled or not),
> carbon steels (woks, French fry pans), or magnetic stainless steels. Your
> best bet is to discuss it with your doctor ASAP as it could cause problems
> similar to a microwave and pace makers.

For the microwaves, check this out
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...to-malfunction

Pure titanium is paramagnetic. It may be an alloy that can affect any
properties though. Magnetic field decreases rapidly with distance so I doubt
it would be a problem. You need mass

http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.shtml
Furthermore, because its energy is transferred only to relatively massive
magnetic materials, you can turn an induction element to "maximum" and place
your hand flat over it with no consequences whatever--it will not roast your
non-ferrous hand! (Nor any rings or bracelets--the units all have sensors
that detect how much ferrous metal is in the area that the magnetic field
would occupy, and if it isn't at least as much as a small pot, they don't
turn on.)

Induction hobs and stainless cookware zxcvbob General Cooking 34 11-12-2015 06:49 PM
New kitchen -- no more portable induction hobs! pltrgyst[_2_] Cooking Equipment 27 15-05-2013 01:43 PM
Induction Hobs Stu Cooking Equipment 0 19-02-2008 12:50 AM
induction hobs [email protected] General Cooking 4 28-05-2007 10:58 PM
induction hobs whome General Cooking 7 23-08-2006 01:28 AM