Old 20-11-2015, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tried and True:: That "Wise" 25 Year Survival Food

My free sample of Wise Foods (the survivalist or emergency folks)
finally arrived. Just over a month after I requested it. I prepared the
sample "entree" per the package directions tonight. Uh oh.

It's supposed to be "Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini". Surely they
know rotini is pasta? Dehydrated vegetables include carrots, zucchini
and peas. In a "creamy chicken flavored sauce". Oooh, sounds
absolutely yummy! (I hope everyone realizes I'm being sarcastic.)

Per the directions, added 1 cup boiling water to the packet in a soup
bowl. (Oddly, the advertisements show them pouring water directly into
the packet. How silly is that?) Cover and let stand 12-15 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Uncover and let cool 2-3 minutes.

I followed the directions. I took pictures of the resulting sludge:

http://i65.tinypic.com/290txyc.jpg

That was after I let it sit/steep per the package directions, and
stirred it more than a couple of times. Looks more like soup than pasta
with any sort of sauce., doesn't it? Not very attractive.

Then there's this picture of just the preparation directions:

http://i65.tinypic.com/1j2vm.jpg

All I can tell you is this is some pretty crappy food. I sure as heck
wouldn't want to stock enough of this Wise deydrated food for a week
much less 25 years. YMMV.

Jill

Old 20-11-2015, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
It looks like there's some tiny squiggly noodle like things in there.
Roundworms, maybe?

Your brain, you decide.
Old 20-11-2015, 04:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:10:09 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

I've only seen or eaten freeze-dried camping food (years ago). None
of it looked like that. The only thing I didn't care for at that time
was the slight chewiness of the vegetables. Otherwise all the food
looked pretty much as it was supposed to.
I'd put that stuff in an envelope and send it back
Janet US
Old 20-11-2015, 04:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

It was a free sample so no, I won't be sending it back. I always did
question the "lasts for 25 years thing". I can see why - no one would
want to eat this stuff, not today or in 25 years. Also, that was a
single serving "entree". Approximately 1 cup of food. I guess in case
of disaster no one actually needs to eat food for energy. Heh.

Jill
Old 20-11-2015, 01:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2015 7:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:10:09 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Per the directions, added 1 cup boiling water to the packet in a soup
bowl. (Oddly, the advertisements show them pouring water directly into
the packet. How silly is that?)

That's how many of the packages work. They have a ziplock closure
built into the bag that keeps the heat/steam in. No ziplock on yours?

Nope, no ziplock. Maybe some of the other packets have ziplocks. shrug

The question becomes "why?" I suppose whatever disaster cuts off our
food supply might also destroy all the cookware and bowls... heh.

I followed the directions. I took pictures of the resulting sludge:

http://i65.tinypic.com/290txyc.jpg

It looks like there's some tiny squiggly noodle like things in there.
Roundworms, maybe?

Not sure how pasta can be the first ingredient yet it isn't really
visible. But when you see TVP in the ingredient list, you know this
brand is the bottom the barrel shit.

It's also very expensive!

I'll say again, my Mountain House brand entrees were surprisingly
good. Lots of freeze dried chicken (not TVP!) and decent pasta that
rehydrated surprisingly well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

All I can tell you is this is some pretty crappy food. I sure as heck
wouldn't want to stock enough of this Wise deydrated food for a week
much less 25 years. YMMV.

Be sure to send them your comments. Really **** them off and tell
them the Mountain House brand was much better.

-sw

Your Mountain House brand definitely *looks* better! Looks like a
decent serving size, too, unless you doubled up.

Due to so many alleged food allergies and sensitivities, a large number
of people wouldn't be able to eat this "Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini":

Contains: Milk, Soy, Wheat. Processed on equipment that also processes
milk, soy, wheat, egg, shellfish, fish, tree nuts and peanuts.

Ah, but according to the little catalog they sent along with the sample,
they do make gluten-free versions of some things. Whew! They had me
worried for a minute!

Jill

Old 20-11-2015, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

But main thing, Jill. How did it taste?

Forget for the moment how it looked to you. Not very attractive
sludge?
Yes, it looks more like a hearty soup to me, but not awful.

As a matter of fact, it looks just like a heartier version of
YOUR signature butternut squash soup which you are so proud of.

Compa
http://i65.tinypic.com/2n5e0p.jpg

lol ;-D
Old 20-11-2015, 05:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 08:15:18 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Due to so many alleged food allergies and sensitivities, a large number
of people wouldn't be able to eat this "Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini":

Contains: Milk, Soy, Wheat. Processed on equipment that also processes
milk, soy, wheat, egg, shellfish, fish, tree nuts and peanuts.

The Apocalypse is a good time to get rid of all the people with food
allergies and intolerances so we can start fresh with a clean gene
pool.

You sick nazi *******!

Old 20-11-2015, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 2:10:16 PM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

The real question you should be asking yourself is will this be a better meal option than boiled rat or some dried up baby carrots you found under the dumpster. When the shit hits the fan, any kind of packaged, non-perishable food is going to be a valuable commidity.
Old 20-11-2015, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

=======

Very true. Fortunately, most people in this country, including me, have
never known true "starvation" type hunger, which would make that food seem
like a feast.

Cheri

Old 20-11-2015, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2015 12:03 PM, Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I believe I already said it was bad.

Barely present noodles and dehydrated vegetables in a salty dried
"chicken gravy".

As a matter of fact, it looks just like a heartier version of
YOUR signature butternut squash soup which you are so proud of.

Compa
http://i65.tinypic.com/2n5e0p.jpg

lol ;-D

Two totally different things, Gary. My roasted butternut squash soup
doesn't purport to be anything other than just what it is. A nice tasty
Fall soup.

Thanks for mentioning it.

I picked up butternut squash at the farm stand. I mentioned that in
another post. I already cooked the cabbage I bought at the farm stand.
I adore cabbage. I'll be eating buttered cabbage with thinly sliced
pork tenderloin.

Jill
Old 20-11-2015, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:03:31 -0500, Gary wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Makes my doctored ramen look Five Star Gormet... of course a lot more
work... typically takes about an hour to prep all the ingredients and
cook. I'll usually make a 2-3 quart batch so makes a couple three
lunches.
Old 20-11-2015, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2015 8:45 AM, Cheri wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

These survival foods are sure to be a disappointment if one is
considering it for Sunday dinner or church potluck or if you have the
audacity to serve it to your hubby.

OTOH, they will surely brighten up your family's sad, devastated, faces
in the aftermath of full-scale, thermonuclear, Armageddon. They're gonna
feel like it was Xmas again and loudly will they cheer for your
foresight and brilliance!
Old 20-11-2015, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:44:25 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

On 11/20/2015 8:45 AM, Cheri wrote:

Very true. Fortunately, most people in this country, including me, have
never known true "starvation" type hunger, which would make that food
seem like a feast.

These survival foods are sure to be a disappointment if one is
considering it for Sunday dinner or church potluck or if you have the
audacity to serve it to your hubby.

OTOH, they will surely brighten up your family's sad, devastated, faces
in the aftermath of full-scale, thermonuclear, Armageddon. They're gonna
feel like it was Xmas again and loudly will they cheer for your
foresight and brilliance!

Ok, no more disaster movies for you!

--
Bruce