Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Tried and True:: That "Wise" 25 Year Survival Food

My free sample of Wise Foods (the survivalist or emergency folks)
finally arrived. Just over a month after I requested it. I prepared the
sample "entree" per the package directions tonight. Uh oh.

It's supposed to be "Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini". Surely they
know rotini is pasta? Dehydrated vegetables include carrots, zucchini
and peas. In a "creamy chicken flavored sauce". Oooh, sounds
absolutely yummy! (I hope everyone realizes I'm being sarcastic.)

Per the directions, added 1 cup boiling water to the packet in a soup
bowl. (Oddly, the advertisements show them pouring water directly into
the packet. How silly is that?) Cover and let stand 12-15 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Uncover and let cool 2-3 minutes.

I followed the directions. I took pictures of the resulting sludge:

http://i65.tinypic.com/290txyc.jpg

That was after I let it sit/steep per the package directions, and
stirred it more than a couple of times. Looks more like soup than pasta
with any sort of sauce., doesn't it? Not very attractive.

Then there's this picture of just the preparation directions:

http://i65.tinypic.com/1j2vm.jpg

All I can tell you is this is some pretty crappy food. I sure as heck
wouldn't want to stock enough of this Wise deydrated food for a week
much less 25 years. YMMV.

Jill