Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches properway to eat sushi

On 9/10/2015 11:06 AM, gtr wrote:
> everybody goes in my "weasel watch" category first, where their posts
> are flagged yellow and I can be on guard.

Against what, having an open mind?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091008342616136-xxx@yyyzzz...

>>> Ask for a knife and fork and teach them some western etiquette

>> Given I've never had any and don't really expect to ...

> You've never eaten sushi!! Amazing. It's truly a delight.
>
>> ah do they do sushi in Hong Kong???

> They do sushi almost everywhere on the planet that refrigeration (and
> electricity) is consistent, and people are wealthy enough to eat in
> restaurants. They certainly have *exceptional* sushi in Hong Kong.

Ahh then I expect my granddaughter will be making it when she gets home next
year She said she has lots of recipes already to try on us

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 17:46:55 +0000, Ophelia said:

>>> ah do they do sushi in Hong Kong???

>> They do sushi almost everywhere on the planet that refrigeration (and
>> electricity) is consistent, and people are wealthy enough to eat in
>> restaurants. They certainly have *exceptional* sushi in Hong Kong.

> Ahh then I expect my granddaughter will be making it when she gets home next
> year She said she has lots of recipes already to try on us

I leave sushi prep to those who've spent 10-20 years (minimum) doing
the task. They are amazing artisans. Certainly finding sashimi-grade
fish is the critical aspect, and it is surprising how easy it is to
distinguish 2nd rate/amateur sushi rice, but for me the endless
potential for surprise is another important bonus in sushi bars; and
that certainly applies to easily replicated cooked foods as much as it
does sushi/sashimi.

If you haven's seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011), it's very much worth
the effort.

That said, if your granddaughter has collected recipes in Hong Kong, I
hope they are of some of the more Hong Kong-specific foods that are
replicable anywhere. I'm sure they'll be of interest.

There's a tiny "fast-food" Chinese joint, "Lucky Star" near a local I
use to frequent in Orange, CA. I'd seen the joint dozens of times but
it didn't look feasible. One night I was having a beer and making chat
with a stranger I met at the bar, and he told me he was from Portland
but whenever he came through town he made a point of going to "Lucky
Star" and would be going after he had a couple of pints.

That little nothing of joint? What's could possibly be the draw? He
told me the place was more than fabulous; the chef/owner there had run
a dining push-cart in Hong Kong for years, saved his money and moved to
the US where he'd opened this place, which was about half a block from
two major hospitals. He was the only one in the shop.

I remembered the story. A week later the wife is running late at work
so around dinner time I ventured over to get some take out--and found
myself queuing behind about 8 people in scrubs from the hospitals;
always a good sign! It was exceptionally good; well worth taking the
time to stop by when you're from out of town. Everything wokked up in
front of you when you order it. Nothing on the warmer but rice, if
memory serves.

A limited menu, but profound. I also noted the most people picked one
of the daily specials, usually seafood and specific vegetable dishes.
Since that first time, I always almost always ordered his

I LOVE finding little treasures like this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 19:47:12 +0000, gtr said:

> That little nothing of joint? What's could possibly be the draw? He
> told me the place was more than fabulous; the chef/owner there had run
> a dining push-cart in Hong Kong for years, saved his money and moved to
> the US where he'd opened this place, which was about half a block from
> two major hospitals. He was the only one in the shop.

Apparently some times of day his uncle or brother-in-law or something
runs the cash register and generally gets bitched at. Here they are
about their tasks:

https://youtu.be/W0apT5h5B9M

As I watch this there are a number of things I don't quite understand,
and a number that I guess about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091012471253781-xxx@yyyzzz...

>>> They do sushi almost everywhere on the planet that refrigeration (and
>>> electricity) is consistent, and people are wealthy enough to eat in
>>> restaurants. They certainly have *exceptional* sushi in Hong Kong.

>> Ahh then I expect my granddaughter will be making it when she gets home
>> next
>> year She said she has lots of recipes already to try on us

> I leave sushi prep to those who've spent 10-20 years (minimum) doing the
> task. They are amazing artisans. Certainly finding sashimi-grade fish is
> the critical aspect, and it is surprising how easy it is to distinguish
> 2nd rate/amateur sushi rice, but for me the endless potential for surprise
> is another important bonus in sushi bars; and that certainly applies to
> easily replicated cooked foods as much as it does sushi/sashimi.
>
> If you haven's seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011), it's very much worth the
> effort.
>
> That said, if your granddaughter has collected recipes in Hong Kong, I
> hope they are of some of the more Hong Kong-specific foods that are
> replicable anywhere. I'm sure they'll be of interest.

She loves to cook so I expect she will collect a lot, but when she comes to
cook for us, she will bring only non spicy recipes! She knows us ... )

> There's a tiny "fast-food" Chinese joint, "Lucky Star" near a local I use
> to frequent in Orange, CA. I'd seen the joint dozens of times but it
> didn't look feasible. One night I was having a beer and making chat with a
> stranger I met at the bar, and he told me he was from Portland but
> whenever he came through town he made a point of going to "Lucky Star" and
> would be going after he had a couple of pints.
>
> That little nothing of joint? What's could possibly be the draw? He told
> me the place was more than fabulous; the chef/owner there had run a dining
> push-cart in Hong Kong for years, saved his money and moved to the US
> where he'd opened this place, which was about half a block from two major
> hospitals. He was the only one in the shop.
>
> I remembered the story. A week later the wife is running late at work so
> around dinner time I ventured over to get some take out--and found myself
> queuing behind about 8 people in scrubs from the hospitals; always a good
> sign! It was exceptionally good; well worth taking the time to stop by
> when you're from out of town. Everything wokked up in front of you when
> you order it. Nothing on the warmer but rice, if memory serves.
>
> A limited menu, but profound. I also noted the most people picked one of
> the daily specials, usually seafood and specific vegetable dishes. Since
> that first time, I always almost always ordered his
>
> I LOVE finding little treasures like this.

Oh yes!!! )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091013054456108-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-09-10 19:47:12 +0000, gtr said:
>
>> That little nothing of joint? What's could possibly be the draw? He
>> told me the place was more than fabulous; the chef/owner there had run
>> a dining push-cart in Hong Kong for years, saved his money and moved to
>> the US where he'd opened this place, which was about half a block from
>> two major hospitals. He was the only one in the shop.

> Apparently some times of day his uncle or brother-in-law or something
> runs the cash register and generally gets bitched at. Here they are
> about their tasks:
>
> https://youtu.be/W0apT5h5B9M
>
> As I watch this there are a number of things I don't quite understand,
> and a number that I guess about.

You sure have big broom cupboards!!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:39:30 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> Ask for a knife and fork and teach them some western etiquette

>>Given I've never had any and don't really expect to ... ah do they do
>>sushi
>>in Hong Kong???

> Yes. Even in Scotland, I bet

It wouldn't surprise me) The reason I was asking about HK was because of
the GD)) She will be cooking stuff for us that she has learned there, so

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 4:14:56 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> She loves to cook so I expect she will collect a lot, but when she comes to
> cook for us, she will bring only non spicy recipes! She knows us ... )

Hong Kong food is not spicy.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 10:38:25 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
> >>
> >>You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
> >>eat sushi
> >>The right way to eat sushi
> >>
> >>By Jenn Harris contact the reporter
> >>
> >>Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.
> >>According to Tokyo sushi chef Naomichi Yasuda, we've been doing it all
> >>horribly wrong.
> >>
> >>In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
> >>right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
> >>hands. We know, we were shocked too when we learned that using
> >>chopsticks to shove pieces of blue crab roll into your mouth was not
> >>proper sushi etiquette.
> >>
> >>And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
> >>dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
> >>then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
> >>sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
> >>sushi.
> >>
> >>Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at Sushi
> >>Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know who
> >>you are.
> >>
> >>And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
> >>soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
> >>and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
> >>when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
> >>because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.
> >>
> >>And just when you thought he couldn't say anything more to shock you, he
> >>drops this bit of wisdom like a sake bomb:
> >>
> >>"What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
> >>ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
> >>second ingredient."
> >>
> >>Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

> > 1. As long as it ends up in my mouth in a civilised manner, it's all
> > good.
> > 2. It's all about the fish. That's why sashimi's better.
> >

> The problem with that for me, would be the size of that shushi. I couldn't
> put a whole one in my mouth at once!
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming and shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no matter what anybody says.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 3:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> >The problem with that for me, would be the size of that shushi. I couldn't
>> >put a whole one in my mouth at once!
>> >
>> >--
>> >http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming and shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no matter what anybody says.

Very well-stated sir!

I mean heck, the Italians manage to consume pasta without the noise
level ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 20:20:19 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091013054456108-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2015-09-10 19:47:12 +0000, gtr said:
>>
>>> That little nothing of joint? What's could possibly be the draw? He
>>> told me the place was more than fabulous; the chef/owner there had run
>>> a dining push-cart in Hong Kong for years, saved his money and moved to
>>> the US where he'd opened this place, which was about half a block from
>>> two major hospitals. He was the only one in the shop.

>> Apparently some times of day his uncle or brother-in-law or something
>> runs the cash register and generally gets bitched at. Here they are
>> about their tasks:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/W0apT5h5B9M
>>
>> As I watch this there are a number of things I don't quite understand,
>> and a number that I guess about.

> You sure have big broom cupboards!!!!

No, just big hyperbole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 11:44:30 AM UTC-10, Kokopelli wrote:

> > Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming and shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no matter what anybody says.

> Very well-stated sir!
>
> I mean heck, the Italians manage to consume pasta without the noise
> level ;-)

That's right! And those guys really know how to treat their women too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 20:39:50 +0000, Bruce said:

>>> I've never mastered them either, though my youngest sis is an expert at
>>> it. I finally gave up, so good luck.

>> At first it keeps you from over eating. I saw somebody using
>> chopsticks in a Chinese restaurant when I was about 22. I vowed never
>> to eat Chinese food without chopsticks and began the hand-cramping
>> process then. About 10 years later I realized I had eaten enough
>> Chinese food to master it. About then I discovered Japanese food and
>> fortunately I was ready.
>>
>> I say "elegant" above but what I really mean I guess, is that it
>> somehow seems more refined to eat food with these tiny tongs rather
>> than either *stabbing* everthing or scooping some, and having it fall
>> everywhere as you try to get it to your mouth.

> You're comparing a normal person with chopsticks to an uncoordinated
> ogre with knife and fork.

I don't know from "normal". I was comparing perceptions about processes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 4:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming and shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no matter what anybody says.

It's a cultural thing. Who are non-Japanese to say it's wrong? It's
just different.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 6:26 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 9/10/2015 4:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their
>> noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't
>> feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming
>> and shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no
>> matter what anybody says.
>>

> It's a cultural thing. Who are non-Japanese to say it's wrong? It's
> just different.

dsi1 lives in Hawaii.... gee, maybe he's of Japanese descent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 9/10/2015 4:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their
>> noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't
>> feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming and
>> shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no matter what
>> anybody says.
>>

> It's a cultural thing. Who are non-Japanese to say it's wrong? It's just
> different.

it actually enhances the flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 4:26 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 9/10/2015 4:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their
>> noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't
>> feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming
>> and shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no
>> matter what anybody says.
>>

> It's a cultural thing. Who are non-Japanese to say it's wrong? It's
> just different.

It's noisy, period.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 5:00 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
>> On 9/10/2015 4:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their
>>> noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't
>>> feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming and
>>> shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no matter what
>>> anybody says.
>>>

>> It's a cultural thing. Who are non-Japanese to say it's wrong? It's just
>> different.
>>

> it actually enhances the flavor.

And the sound level.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 12:26 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 9/10/2015 4:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Shoving the entire sushi down their gullets and nosily slurping their
>> noodles down are a couple of nasty practices of the Japanese. I don't
>> feel any obligation to eat the way they do in that respect. Cramming
>> and shooting food into/down your pie hole is simply not cool - no
>> matter what anybody says.
>>

> It's a cultural thing. Who are non-Japanese to say it's wrong? It's
> just different.

That's a pretty gracious and accepting way at looking at it. You're not
fully living up to the potential of your name. You're gonna need to work
on that!

My point is that Americans should not feel any obligation to eat in this
manner because it's just not our cultural thing. The reality is that
most Americans would cringe at the way they slurp their noodles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upm444PAxyo
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 21:48:32 +0000, gtr said:

>>> https://youtu.be/W0apT5h5B9M
>>>
>>> As I watch this there are a number of things I don't quite understand,
>>> and a number that I guess about.

>> You sure have big broom cupboards!!!!

> No, just big hyperbole.

Okay, maybe this one isn't hyperbole--less than a broom-closet. You
actually sit off the curb in the street. Three items. A back-street
place in late-night Kyoto from last fall:

http://grab.by/KkEc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 21:52:50 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Yes. Even in Scotland, I bet

>>It wouldn't surprise me) The reason I was asking about HK was because
>>of
>>the GD)) She will be cooking stuff for us that she has learned there,
>>so

> Lucky you.

Yes)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091014483226659-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-09-10 20:20:19 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>>> Apparently some times of day his uncle or brother-in-law or something
>>> runs the cash register and generally gets bitched at. Here they are
>>> about their tasks:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/W0apT5h5B9M
>>>
>>> As I watch this there are a number of things I don't quite understand,
>>> and a number that I guess about.

>> You sure have big broom cupboards!!!!

> No, just big hyperbole.

Ahh lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091021410068371-xxx@yyyzzz...

>>> You sure have big broom cupboards!!!!

>> No, just big hyperbole.

> Okay, maybe this one isn't hyperbole--less than a broom-closet. You
> actually sit off the curb in the street. Three items. A back-street
> place in late-night Kyoto from last fall:
>
> http://grab.by/KkEc

Ok, that one I could accept)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote in news:2015091008285156154-xxx@yyyzzz:

>.
>
> I've never heard or seen a Japanese person "explode" or scream, and
> have been there a lot. But I'm sure it happens. Especially at
> restaurants in tourist areas--like Kamakura.

Yep, very, very unusual, but it happened. In two years in Japan, it only
happened one other time, when we were walking around in Tokyo. We passed
an old man in a WWII Japanese army uniform who started yelling loudly at us
when he saw our USN uniforms. The other Japanese people around him seemed
quite embarrased by his behavior, and several of them tried to hush him.

Overwhelmingly, the Japanese people I met during two years in Yokosuka were
invariably polite and genuinely friendly. It was a great experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 10:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The Kamimaze are pretty well documented:-)
>
> -sw

Become one, soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:03:25 PM UTC-10, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> gtr > wrote in news:2015091008285156154-xxx@yyyzzz:
>
> >.
> >
> > I've never heard or seen a Japanese person "explode" or scream, and
> > have been there a lot. But I'm sure it happens. Especially at
> > restaurants in tourist areas--like Kamakura.
> >

> Yep, very, very unusual, but it happened. In two years in Japan, it only
> happened one other time, when we were walking around in Tokyo. We passed
> an old man in a WWII Japanese army uniform who started yelling loudly at us
> when he saw our USN uniforms. The other Japanese people around him seemed
> quite embarrased by his behavior, and several of them tried to hush him.
>
> Overwhelmingly, the Japanese people I met during two years in Yokosuka were
> invariably polite and genuinely friendly. It was a great experience.

My dad was in Japan in 1946 as part of the occupation forces. He said the people in the street would move out of the way when he walked down the street in uniform. Their defeat was total and they would look down on the ground when he passed them. He said it was the most pitiful thing he ever saw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 12:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:03:25 PM UTC-10, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> gtr > wrote in news:2015091008285156154-xxx@yyyzzz:
>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> I've never heard or seen a Japanese person "explode" or scream, and
>>> have been there a lot. But I'm sure it happens. Especially at
>>> restaurants in tourist areas--like Kamakura.
>>>

>> Yep, very, very unusual, but it happened. In two years in Japan, it only
>> happened one other time, when we were walking around in Tokyo. We passed
>> an old man in a WWII Japanese army uniform who started yelling loudly at us
>> when he saw our USN uniforms. The other Japanese people around him seemed
>> quite embarrased by his behavior, and several of them tried to hush him.
>>
>> Overwhelmingly, the Japanese people I met during two years in Yokosuka were
>> invariably polite and genuinely friendly. It was a great experience.

> My dad was in Japan in 1946 as part of the occupation forces. He said the people in the street would move out of the way when he walked down the street in uniform. Their defeat was total and they would look down on the ground when he passed them. He said it was the most pitiful thing he ever saw.

Wow.

I wonder if the Germans were as chastened as a nation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 9:03 AM, Kokopelli wrote:
> On 9/11/2015 12:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:03:25 PM UTC-10, Alan Holbrook
>> wrote:

>>> Yep, very, very unusual, but it happened. In two years in Japan, it
>>> only
>>> happened one other time, when we were walking around in Tokyo. We
>>> passed
>>> an old man in a WWII Japanese army uniform who started yelling loudly
>>> at us
>>> when he saw our USN uniforms. The other Japanese people around him
>>> seemed
>>> quite embarrased by his behavior, and several of them tried to hush him.
>>>
>>> Overwhelmingly, the Japanese people I met during two years in
>>> Yokosuka were
>>> invariably polite and genuinely friendly. It was a great experience.

>> My dad was in Japan in 1946 as part of the occupation forces. He said
>> the people in the street would move out of the way when he walked down
>> the street in uniform. Their defeat was total and they would look down
>> on the ground when he passed them. He said it was the most pitiful
>> thing he ever saw.
>>

> Wow.
>
> I wonder if the Germans were as chastened as a nation.

Hitler, Hirohito, Roosevelt, Stalin - only one of them was generally
regarded as a God. If you want to thoroughly defeat a country, take away
their God. In this way, you'll also remove all their hopes and dreams.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 1:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/11/2015 9:03 AM, Kokopelli wrote:
>> On 9/11/2015 12:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> My dad was in Japan in 1946 as part of the occupation forces. He said
>>> the people in the street would move out of the way when he walked down
>>> the street in uniform. Their defeat was total and they would look down
>>> on the ground when he passed them. He said it was the most pitiful
>>> thing he ever saw.
>>>

>> Wow.
>>
>> I wonder if the Germans were as chastened as a nation.

> Hitler, Hirohito, Roosevelt, Stalin - only one of them was generally
> regarded as a God. If you want to thoroughly defeat a country, take away
> their God. In this way, you'll also remove all their hopes and dreams.

That's an observation that resonates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 9:50 AM, Kokopelli wrote:
> On 9/11/2015 1:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Wow.
>>>
>>> I wonder if the Germans were as chastened as a nation.

>> Hitler, Hirohito, Roosevelt, Stalin - only one of them was generally
>> regarded as a God. If you want to thoroughly defeat a country, take away
>> their God. In this way, you'll also remove all their hopes and dreams.

> That's an observation that resonates.

You have to wonder what would have happened if McArthur had executed
Hirohito. Look what it did for Jesus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 1:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/11/2015 9:50 AM, Kokopelli wrote:

>>> Hitler, Hirohito, Roosevelt, Stalin - only one of them was generally
>>> regarded as a God. If you want to thoroughly defeat a country, take away
>>> their God. In this way, you'll also remove all their hopes and dreams.

>> That's an observation that resonates.

> You have to wonder what would have happened if McArthur had executed
> Hirohito. Look what it did for Jesus.

OMG!

That the world did not need!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:
>
>> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
>>
>> You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
>> eat sushi

> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
> and keep your opinions to yourself.
>
> -sw

aha, that's the bit I was wondering about -- it's okay to be a slob as
long as you're not annoying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2015 7:24 AM, tert in seattle wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
>>>
>>> You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
>>> eat sushi

>> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
>> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
>> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
>> and keep your opinions to yourself.
>>
>> -sw

> aha, that's the bit I was wondering about -- it's okay to be a slob as
> long as you're not annoying

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 12:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.

Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.

Sushi Tutorial for 1st Time Sushi Chef ommilay Sushi 0 19-03-2012 08:27 PM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) ChoiManHansi Sushi 8 25-03-2006 01:31 AM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) Hansi General Cooking 3 24-03-2006 10:59 PM
Sushi in Tokyo beeldbouwer Sushi 14 10-11-2005 02:26 AM
What a Sushi Chef orders when he goes to another sushi bar ChefMatisse.com Sushi 2 07-03-2004 01:22 AM