Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turmeric

Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..

Not: Toom_er_ick

Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
so much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"La Mirada" > wrote in message
> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>
> Not: Toom_er_ick
>
> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed so
> much.

I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me so much that I
mentioned it to someone who was complaining of something similar. She then
asked me how it should be pronounced because her whole family said it that
way. Who started that? And why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 5:27:07 PM UTC-4, La Mirada wrote:
> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>
> Not: Toom_er_ick
>
> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
> so much.

I take turmeric caps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2015 4:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "La Mirada" > wrote in message
>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>
>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>
>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
>> so much.

> I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me so much
> that I mentioned it to someone who was complaining of something
> similar. She then asked me how it should be pronounced because her
> whole family said it that way. Who started that? And why?

Beats the heck out of me, perhaps folks just have a problem with
sequential consonants.

But it happens a lot, no question.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 5:27:07 PM UTC-4, La Mirada wrote:
>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>
>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>
>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
>> so much.

> I take turmeric caps.

What ails you? How do you find their effectiveness?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 15:21:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>
>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>
>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed so
>> much.

>I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me so much that I
>mentioned it to someone who was complaining of something similar. She then
>asked me how it should be pronounced because her whole family said it that
>way. Who started that? And why?

How do you think language has evolved over time?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 15:26:57 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

>Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>
>Not: Toom_er_ick
>
>Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
>so much.

I like this one better:

Pronounced: Mass_Ah_Chew_Setts

Not: Mass_ah_Two_Setts

Pronounced: Woos_Tah_Shire_Sauce

Not: Wor_Chester_Shire_Sauce

I am not a Massachusetts native but I was trained by one

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 5:27:07 PM UTC-4, La Mirada wrote:
>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>
>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>
>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
>> so much.

> I take turmeric caps.

Me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"La Mirada" > wrote in message
> On 6/5/2015 4:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "La Mirada" > wrote in message
>>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>>
>>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>>
>>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
>>> so much.

>> I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me so much
>> that I mentioned it to someone who was complaining of something
>> similar. She then asked me how it should be pronounced because her
>> whole family said it that way. Who started that? And why?

> Beats the heck out of me, perhaps folks just have a problem with
> sequential consonants.
>
> But it happens a lot, no question.

Another two that I hear a lot are "fith" for fifth, and "ohways" for always.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 15:21:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>>
>>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>>
>>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
>>> so
>>> much.

>>I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me so much that
>>mentioned it to someone who was complaining of something similar. She
>>then
>>asked me how it should be pronounced because her whole family said it that
>>way. Who started that? And why?

> How do you think language has evolved over time?

Not like that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 18:01:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me so much that
>>>mentioned it to someone who was complaining of something similar. She
>>>then
>>>asked me how it should be pronounced because her whole family said it that
>>>way. Who started that? And why?

>> How do you think language has evolved over time?

>Not like that!

Well, I think it partly did. I know I hear regional variations which
are sometimes explained in this way. Or maybe that's just an 'Ossy'
thing (the way Americans pronounce Aussie). Just joking...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/15 5:26 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..

What's the difference in pronunciation between "er" and "ur"?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2015 6:43 PM, William wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 15:26:57 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
>
>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>
>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>
>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets flubbed
>> so much.

> I like this one better:
>
> Pronounced: Mass_Ah_Chew_Setts
>
> Not: Mass_ah_Two_Setts
>
> Pronounced: Woos_Tah_Shire_Sauce
>
> Not: Wor_Chester_Shire_Sauce
>
> I am not a Massachusetts native but I was trained by one
>
> William

+1

good one.

Qway=hog...

Or Q-hog?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one
>> gets flubbed so much.

> I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me
> so much that I mentioned it to someone who was complaining of
> something similar. She then asked me how it should be
> pronounced because her whole family said it that way. Who
> started that? And why?

Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the word
and if they have remembering it properly. French cooking terms
are often mangled, more often I would say than German or Italian,
although there is no reason for it.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 9:58 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one
>>> gets flubbed so much.

>> I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me
>> so much that I mentioned it to someone who was complaining of
>> something similar. She then asked me how it should be
>> pronounced because her whole family said it that way. Who
>> started that? And why?

> Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the word
> and if they have remembering it properly. French cooking terms
> are often mangled, more often I would say than German or Italian,
> although there is no reason for it.

Of course there is, haven't you figured it out yet as a Canuck -
Frenchies are loathed!

You've made an entire nation despise you with your relentless separatism
and french language Bullshit.

That whole Frenchy immersion thing in your schools was an imperialist
Napoleonic disaster.

Merde!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

La Mirada > wrote in
:

**** you, asshole.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Desmond Tutu
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 10:56 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> La Mirada > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the
>>> word and if they have remembering it properly. French
>>> cooking terms are often mangled, more often I would say than
>>> German or Italian, although there is no reason for it.

>> Of course there is, haven't you figured it out yet as a Canuck
>> - Frenchies are loathed!
>>
>> You've made an entire nation despise you with your relentless
>> separatism and french language Bullshit.
>>
>> That whole Frenchy immersion thing in your schools was an
>> imperialist Napoleonic disaster.

> **** you, asshole.

Oh, truth hurts, doesn't it?

http://www.societyforqualityeducatio...s/hammerly.pdf

The fact that French Immersion (FI) is a linguistic failure may be
the best-kept secret in Canadian education. But why shouldn’t it be a
failure? How can a single teacher, who may not even be a native speaker
of French, “immerse” 30 students?
It has been known since 1975 that there are serious problems with
FI. A 1976 article by Irène Spilka showed that the original St. Lambert
group — which FI advocates and “researchers” (basically the same people)
touted as “highly-successful” — was doing very poorly, with one or
more errors in nearly 53% of their simple sentences. Moreover, Spilka
found no significant progress in grammaticality from grade two to grade
six and a growing, rather than a decreasing, gap between FI students and
their Francophone peers.
In 1985, a group of students interviewed as they were completing
13 years in FI had an almost identical percentage (53.8%) of incorrect
sentences. And in the first five months of 1995, FI students who completed
my bilingual French Immersion Test did very poorly indeed — an
average of 4.42 errors per sentence and one error-free sentence (out of
50), plus use of the wrong gender with 6.46 out of 20 very common
nouns.
As I have been saying for 13 years, FI students graduate speaking
and writing rapidly in “Frenglish”, not French. Frenglish uses French
words but mostly English structures. Frenglish might be “cute” at age
six, but it is an embarrassment at age 20, as well as an impediment to
holding any significant bilingual job (it would be senseless for an employer
to put someone who speaks or writes so poorly in charge of the
telephone or correspondence). The FI/education establishment, however,
has kept these facts from the public. They have acknowledged that there
are serious problems with FI, but only in obscure research reports and
other such publications. In public, they continue to defend and promote
immersion nationally and internationally. A major scandal would have
exploded a long time ago if the establishment weren’t so successful in
holding a tight lid over the situation.
FI fails for many reasons, most of them related to “progressive”
(really regressive) educational views. Among the progressive trends that
have affected FI are the beliefs that everything should be as easy as
possible
for the students (not much effort, no drills or systematic practice);
that the correction of errors shouldn’t be stressed because it hurts
selfesteem;
that creativity (even with what one doesn’t control) is central to
learning; and that communication, however defective, is more important
Organization for Quality Education, September 1995, Page 2
than accuracy and mastery. Under such conditions, excellence is impossible,
dysfunctionality inevitable.
Thus, the learning of a second language in the classroom is done
in FI in the relaxed, unsystematic way in which very young children acquire
their mother tongue at home. But the learners and the learning
conditions are very different. Native language acquisition conditions
cannot be recreated years later, within four classroom walls, with older
children who already know a language, are more cognitively mature, and
are not surrounded by native speakers of the target language. The result
of this lack of fit is Frenglish.
FI is hopeless. It cannot be patched up because it is fundamentally
flawed, as it is based on incorrect assumptions. FI puts the communicative
cart before the linguistic control horse. Adding several hours a week
of grammar to FI —however that may be done — won’t help, for whatever
good it might do will be destroyed by the constant encouragement
of premature free communication the rest of the week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I speak English, Hillbilly and Elizabethan English.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 11:53 AM, wrote:
> I speak English, Hillbilly and Elizabethan English.

To whom?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2015 9:58 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one
>>> gets flubbed so much.

>> I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me
>> so much that I mentioned it to someone who was complaining of
>> something similar. She then asked me how it should be
>> pronounced because her whole family said it that way. Who
>> started that? And why?

> Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the word
> and if they have remembering it properly.

It's "lab - or - at - ory" while we are at it.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

La Mirada wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>
> Not: Toom_er_ick
>
> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets
> flubbed so much.

It's an accent. They vary.

It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
but she meant *route*.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2015 3:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
> La Mirada wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>
>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>
>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets
>> flubbed so much.

> It's an accent. They vary.
>
> It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
> Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
> drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
> but she meant *route*.

Which is pronounced "root" :-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 14:38:46 -0600, graham > wrote:

> On 06/06/2015 9:58 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> > :

> >> I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me
> >> so much that I mentioned it to someone who was complaining of
> >> something similar. She then asked me how it should be
> >> pronounced because her whole family said it that way. Who
> >> started that? And why?

> > Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the word
> > and if they have remembering it properly.

> It's "lab - or - at - ory" while we are at it.

No it's not and it's not Hhherb, VIT-a-min, SHED-ual, al-loo-MIN-ee-um
or JAG-you-ar either.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2015 3:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
> La Mirada wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>
>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>
>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets
>> flubbed so much.

> It's an accent. They vary.
>
> It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
> Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
> drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
> but she meant *route*.

I think most of us say "cuemin" for cumin but apparently it's "come in".
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 14:38:46 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2015 9:58 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>> > :

>> > Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the word
>> > and if they have remembering it properly.

>> It's "lab - or - at - ory" while we are at it.

> No it's not and it's not Hhherb, VIT-a-min, SHED-ual, al-loo-MIN-ee-um
> or JAG-you-ar either.

how they get LEFT-tenant, I'll never know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 14:38:46 -0600, graham > wrote:

>It's "lab - or - at - ory" while we are at it.

Is that an eloquent, public speaking Labrador?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 15:14:09 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 06/06/2015 3:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> La Mirada wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>>
>>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>>
>>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets
>>> flubbed so much.

>> It's an accent. They vary.
>>
>> It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
>> Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
>> drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
>> but she meant *route*.
>>

>Which is pronounced "root" :-)
>Graham

Here in REAL hillybilly territory it's pronounced rout, but always
with the designation number and whether it's County or State, and
expressed written as in Cty Rte 23, or St Rte 24.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 18:03:51 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Here in REAL hillybilly territory it's pronounced rout, but always
>with the designation number and whether it's County or State, and
>expressed written as in Cty Rte 23, or St Rte 24.

Is there any USAian dialect that doesnt drop the 'h' in herb and
pronounce it 'erb'? That's the one that grates on my nerves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 5:14 PM, graham wrote:
> On 06/06/2015 3:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> La Mirada wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>>
>>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>>
>>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets
>>> flubbed so much.

>> It's an accent. They vary.
>>
>> It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
>> Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
>> drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
>> but she meant *route*.
>>

> Which is pronounced "root" :-)
> Graham

Uh, yeah. Root and route are pronounced the same way in my world, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 5:32 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 15:18:54 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> It's an accent. They vary.
>>>
>>> It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
>>> Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
>>> drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
>>> but she meant *route*.
>>>

>> I think most of us say "cuemin" for cumin but apparently it's "come in".

> Just call it jintan. Problem solved.

Or simply don't bring it up in conversation.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-5, Michel Boucher wrote:
> La Mirada > wrote in
> :
>
> >> Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the
> >> word and if they have remembering it properly. French
> >> cooking terms are often mangled, more often I would say than
> >> German or Italian, although there is no reason for it.

> > Of course there is, haven't you figured it out yet as a Canuck
> > - Frenchies are loathed!
> >
> > You've made an entire nation despise you with your relentless
> > separatism and french language Bullshit.
> >
> > That whole Frenchy immersion thing in your schools was an
> > imperialist Napoleonic disaster.

> **** you, asshole.

If Anglo Canadians actually detested Francophones, then they would be
happy to see Quebec succeed, and that is not the case.

> "If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
> you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
> Desmond Tutu

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 06/06/2015 3:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > La Mirada wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
> > >
> > > Not: Toom_er_ick
> > >
> > > Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets
> > > flubbed so much.

> > It's an accent. They vary.
> >
> > It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
> > Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence.
> > 'I drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do
> > that but she meant route.
> >

> Which is pronounced "root" :-)
> Graham

Only in a small part of the USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 18:24:14 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/6/2015 5:14 PM, graham wrote:

>>> It's an accent. They vary.
>>>
>>> It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
>>> Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
>>> drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
>>> but she meant *route*.
>>>

>> Which is pronounced "root" :-)
>> Graham
>>

>Uh, yeah. Root and route are pronounced the same way in my world, too.

How about 'router'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 5:14 PM, graham wrote:
> On 06/06/2015 3:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> La Mirada wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Pronounced : Ter_mur_ick..
>>>
>>> Not: Toom_er_ick
>>>
>>> Lots of mispronunciation out there, I wonder why this one gets
>>> flubbed so much.

>> It's an accent. They vary.
>>
>> It's like I missed a spelling word in 7th grade as we moved to
>> Charlottesville. I even asked the teacher to repeat the sentence. 'I
>> drove my car up the root'. I was wondering why someone would do that
>> but she meant *route*.
>>

> Which is pronounced "root" :-)
> Graham

Often pronounced rout.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 2:38 PM, graham wrote:
> On 06/06/2015 9:58 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I have been complaining of that lately. It was bothering me
>>> so much that I mentioned it to someone who was complaining of
>>> something similar. She then asked me how it should be
>>> pronounced because her whole family said it that way. Who
>>> started that? And why?

>> Laziness. Most people cannot be bothered with reading the word
>> and if they have remembering it properly.

> It's "lab - or - at - ory" while we are at it.
> Graham

Not in the UK, that would be la-bore-a-tree.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 7:18:58 AM UTC+10, graham wrote:

> I think most of us say "cuemin" for cumin but apparently it's "come in".

The word came down almost unmodified from Old Sumerian ("gamun"), and then we screw it up in our generation.

(An old spelling of "turmeric" is "tarmarat".)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2015 6:44 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> If Anglo Canadians actually detested Francophones, then they would be
> happy to see Quebec succeed, and that is not the case.

Couldn't prove it by my observation. Two of our biggest customers are
in Canada. Every few weeks we happen to have a truck from Ontario and a
truck from Quebec at the same time. The drivers always seem to despise
each other and often make derogatory comments about the other.

Turmeric not a wonder spice graham[_4_] General Cooking 32 21-01-2017 06:38 PM
Turmeric stains Jeßus[_61_] General Cooking 12 27-12-2016 09:02 PM
turmeric Gill Smith General Cooking 10 15-11-2012 03:51 AM
Turmeric Nick Cramer Diabetic 34 04-01-2010 04:09 PM
Turmeric No One General Cooking 6 17-08-2006 08:29 PM