Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chinese versus Mexican "black bean"

Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?

Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
"black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 1:45 PM, JRStern wrote:
> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?

Great question, I'm thinking the latter.

> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
>
> J.

Great stuff, many uses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 14:47:23 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 5/3/2015 1:45 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
>> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?

>Great question, I'm thinking the latter.
>
>> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
>> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
>>
>> J.

>Great stuff, many uses.

I have a local restaurant that has a chicken with spicey garlic black
bean sauce, and I could live on it! Onions, green peppers, tiny bits
of jalapeno. I have no idea if they make the sauce or get it premade
in barrels.

Well, my local Kroger/Ralphs does not have the fermented black beans
or the premade sauce from Kikkoman or anyone else.

http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks...=10512&fam=105

Have to try a local Japanese market, and if that doesn't work have to
dig up a Chinese market. Or sneak into the restaurant's kitchen ...

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 2:57 PM, JRStern wrote:
> On Sun, 03 May 2015 14:47:23 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> On 5/3/2015 1:45 PM, JRStern wrote:
>>> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
>>> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?

>> Great question, I'm thinking the latter.
>>
>>> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
>>> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
>>>
>>> J.

>> Great stuff, many uses.

> I have a local restaurant that has a chicken with spicey garlic black
> bean sauce, and I could live on it! Onions, green peppers, tiny bits
> of jalapeno. I have no idea if they make the sauce or get it premade
> in barrels.

Damn, that sounds super good!

> Well, my local Kroger/Ralphs does not have the fermented black beans
> or the premade sauce from Kikkoman or anyone else.
>
> http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks...=10512&fam=105
>
> Have to try a local Japanese market, and if that doesn't work have to
> dig up a Chinese market. Or sneak into the restaurant's kitchen ...
>
> J.

The variety you'll find at any good Asian market will be worth the
drive, trust me.

I've got a really tasty black bean and garlic soybean oil paste in a jar
that I use like BBQ souce.

Shake on a little 5 spice powder and beef skewers just wake right up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?
>
> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
>
> J.

You might be able to find black bean sauce in the store. You are correct that a bottle of that stuff is the way to go. You probably won't find Chinese salted black beans though. The Chinese black beans are fermented soy beans and the Mexican black beans are made of something that's not soybean. The Chinese black beans are used as a seasoning, Mexican black beans are just beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 4:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
>> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
>> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?
>>
>> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
>> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
>>
>> J.

> You might be able to find black bean sauce in the store. You are correct that a bottle of that stuff is the way to go. You probably won't find Chinese salted black beans though. The Chinese black beans are fermented soy beans and the Mexican black beans are made of something that's not soybean. The Chinese black beans are used as a seasoning, Mexican black beans are just beans.

The Chinese style are just killer good.

The jar of black bean/garlic soybean oil I have is extra tasty on top of
sushi rice too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 6:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
>> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
>> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?
>>
>> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
>> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
>>
>> J.

> You might be able to find black bean sauce in the store. You are correct
> that a bottle of that stuff is the way to go. You probably won't find
> Chinese salted black beans though. The Chinese black beans are fermented
> soy beans

Is that what that is ... I like to order Hunan Beef from the local
chinese place, I love all the vegetables ... but I have to pick out
these horrible black beans that leave a dirt taste in my mouth.
Blech.

Guess I could try ordering it Without the Yucky black bean things.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:06:08 PM UTC-10, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 5/3/2015 4:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
> >> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
> >> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?
> >>
> >> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
> >> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
> >>
> >> J.

> > You might be able to find black bean sauce in the store. You are correct that a bottle of that stuff is the way to go. You probably won't find Chinese salted black beans though. The Chinese black beans are fermented soy beans and the Mexican black beans are made of something that's not soybean. The Chinese black beans are used as a seasoning, Mexican black beans are just beans.
> >

> The Chinese style are just killer good.
>
> The jar of black bean/garlic soybean oil I have is extra tasty on top of
> sushi rice too!

Well OK - I sold! I had some chili over rice this morning. Boy, that was good stuff.

You might be interested in shio koji, which is sorta the same thing as Chinese black bean in that it's fermented salty stuff except that it's made with rice. I've never used it myself but I've had a bag of the stuff in my refrigerator for months just waiting. I figure it'll last forever though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:28:37 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/3/2015 6:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
> >> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
> >> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?
> >>
> >> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
> >> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
> >>
> >> J.

> > You might be able to find black bean sauce in the store. You are correct
> > that a bottle of that stuff is the way to go. You probably won't find
> > Chinese salted black beans though. The Chinese black beans are fermented
> > soy beans

> Is that what that is ... I like to order Hunan Beef from the local
> chinese place, I love all the vegetables ... but I have to pick out
> these horrible black beans that leave a dirt taste in my mouth.
> Blech.
>
> Guess I could try ordering it Without the Yucky black bean things.
>
> nancy

I don't see that in too many beef dishes over here - mostly they use it in seafood. I guess they they should smash the beans up more. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 6:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:28:37 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Is that what that is ... I like to order Hunan Beef from the local
>> chinese place, I love all the vegetables ... but I have to pick out
>> these horrible black beans that leave a dirt taste in my mouth.
>> Blech.
>>
>> Guess I could try ordering it Without the Yucky black bean things.

> I don't see that in too many beef dishes over here - mostly they use it
> in seafood. I guess they they should smash the beans up more. :-)

Yeah, if I can't pick them out, I'm definitely not ordering that
again.

ancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:43:10 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/3/2015 6:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:28:37 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Is that what that is ... I like to order Hunan Beef from the local
> >> chinese place, I love all the vegetables ... but I have to pick out
> >> these horrible black beans that leave a dirt taste in my mouth.
> >> Blech.
> >>
> >> Guess I could try ordering it Without the Yucky black bean things.

> > I don't see that in too many beef dishes over here - mostly they use it
> > in seafood. I guess they they should smash the beans up more. :-)

> Yeah, if I can't pick them out, I'm definitely not ordering that
> again.
>
> ancy

How about some nice pressed duck instead? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 5:45:44 AM UTC+10, JRStern wrote:
> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?

Yes. Salty fermented soybeans. Like solid soy sauce.

> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.

Our Vietnamese and Chinese grocery stores have many Chinese varieties, but even our regular supermarkets have some, which is quite OK. The Korean version can be good too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 4:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:06:08 PM UTC-10, W. Lohman wrote:

>>> You might be able to find black bean sauce in the store. You are correct that a bottle of that stuff is the way to go. You probably won't find Chinese salted black beans though. The Chinese black beans are fermented soy beans and the Mexican black beans are made of something that's not soybean. The Chinese black beans are used as a seasoning, Mexican black beans are just beans.
>>>

>> The Chinese style are just killer good.
>>
>> The jar of black bean/garlic soybean oil I have is extra tasty on top of
>> sushi rice too!

> Well OK - I sold! I had some chili over rice this morning. Boy, that was good stuff.
>
> You might be interested in shio koji, which is sorta the same thing as Chinese black bean in that it's fermented salty stuff except that it's made with rice. I've never used it myself but I've had a bag of the stuff in my refrigerator for months just waiting. I figure it'll last forever though.

I added that to my shopping list, thanks!

http://kojiya.jp/shiokoji/

And now I know what to look for.

I'm not afraid of healthy fungi either, so this should be fun to smaple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 5:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:43:10 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I don't see that in too many beef dishes over here - mostly they use it
>> > in seafood. I guess they they should smash the beans up more. :-)

>> Yeah, if I can't pick them out, I'm definitely not ordering that
>> again.
>>
>> ancy

> How about some nice pressed duck instead? :-)

Ooooh, yes please!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 5:16 PM, Timo wrote:
> On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 5:45:44 AM UTC+10, JRStern wrote:
>> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
>> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?

> Yes. Salty fermented soybeans. Like solid soy sauce.
>
>> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
>> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.

> Our Vietnamese and Chinese grocery stores have many Chinese varieties, but even our regular supermarkets have some, which is quite OK. The Korean version can be good too.

Koreans really get fermentation, our local Asian mart has a pretty good
Kimchi selection.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 1:15:58 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2015 15:02:55 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
> >> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
> >> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?
> >>
> >> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
> >> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.
> >>
> >> J.

> >You might be able to find black bean sauce in the store. You are correct that
> >a bottle of that stuff is the way to go. You probably won't find
> >Chinese salted black beans though. The Chinese black beans are
> >fermented soy beans and the Mexican black beans are made of
> >something that's not soybean. The Chinese black beans are used as a
> >seasoning, Mexican black beans are just beans.

> You don't have to buy the prefab sauce. Why not just buy the beans and
> add a tablespoon or so to a stir fry? Great stuff.
>
> --
> Bruce

The beans are too hardcore for me. The stuff in the jar is more lightweight and comes in a more convenient form.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 17:33:42 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 5/3/2015 5:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Yeah, if I can't pick them out, I'm definitely not ordering that
>>> again.
>>>
>>> ancy

>> How about some nice pressed duck instead? :-)
>>

>Ooooh, yes please!

Me too.

Hard to find anymore, probably comes in frozen.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 12:45:45 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

> Does Chinese "black bean" sauce use the same black beans as Mexican
> black beans, or is the Chinese "black bean" black soybeans?
>
> Actually I'm just off to the market to see what they offer, premade
> "black bean sauce" seems to be the way to go.

Chinese black beans are salted and preserved. I'd rather use those
and make my own sauce.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 May 2015 16:46:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> The beans are too hardcore for me. The stuff in the jar is more lightweight and comes in a more convenient form.

Equal parts salted black beans, onion and grated garlic, cover with
oil. Whiz in a blender to make a paste.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 May 2015 15:35:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> I had some chili over rice this morning. Boy, that was good stuff.

Second day chili over rice is great!

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 23:38:35 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 3 May 2015 16:46:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>> The beans are too hardcore for me. The stuff in the jar is more lightweight and comes in a more convenient form.

>Equal parts salted black beans, onion and grated garlic, cover with
>oil. Whiz in a blender to make a paste.

First of all, which beans, the frijoles or "black soy" beans?

Second, if you start with dried beans, takes you all day to get them
ready to roll.

Third, the Chinese version is "fermented", exactly whatever that
means.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 9:44 AM, JRStern wrote:
> On Sun, 03 May 2015 23:38:35 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 3 May 2015 16:46:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The beans are too hardcore for me. The stuff in the jar is more lightweight and comes in a more convenient form.

>> Equal parts salted black beans, onion and grated garlic, cover with
>> oil. Whiz in a blender to make a paste.

> First of all, which beans, the frijoles or "black soy" beans?
>
> Second, if you start with dried beans, takes you all day to get them
> ready to roll.
>
> Third, the Chinese version is "fermented", exactly whatever that
> means.
>
> J.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chin...blackbeans.htm

Definition: These are not the black beans you'll find in Mexican
cooking. Fermented black beans (also called salted or dried black beans)
are made from soybeans that have been dried and fermented with salt;
other spices such as chilies and/or wine and possibly ginger may be
added. Because of their strong flavor, fermented black beans are
frequently paired with other strong seasonings, such as garlic and
chilies. They make a frequent appearance in Cantonese cooking; you’ll
find them in dishes such as Shrimp With Lobster Sauce. Fermented black
beans are normally rinsed before being used in cooking; otherwise, they
will impart too much of a salty flavor to the dish. Often you’ll find
recipes calling for the beans to be mashed with garlic.

Fermented black beans are sold in plastic bags in Asian markets. At
home, remove the beans from the package and store in a sealed container
in a cool, dark place. The beans will last for several months. You can
also find fermented black beans sold in jars - these can be used instead
if necessary but they don't have as much flavor.

If you don’t live near an Asian market, premade black bean sauce is
often available in the international or ethnic section of many supermarkets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 7:09:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> How about some nice pressed duck instead? :-)

Or pressed rat and warthog?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2015 09:58:03 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 5/4/2015 9:44 AM, JRStern wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 May 2015 23:38:35 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> Equal parts salted black beans, onion and grated garlic, cover with
>>> oil. Whiz in a blender to make a paste.

>> First of all, which beans, the frijoles or "black soy" beans?
>>
>> Second, if you start with dried beans, takes you all day to get them
>> ready to roll.
>>
>> Third, the Chinese version is "fermented", exactly whatever that
>> means.
>>
>> J.
>>

>http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chin...blackbeans.htm
>
>Definition: These are not the black beans you'll find in Mexican
>cooking. Fermented black beans (also called salted or dried black beans)
>are made from soybeans that have been dried and fermented with salt;
>other spices such as chilies and/or wine and possibly ginger may be
>added. Because of their strong flavor, fermented black beans are
>frequently paired with other strong seasonings, such as garlic and
>chilies. They make a frequent appearance in Cantonese cooking; you’ll
>find them in dishes such as Shrimp With Lobster Sauce. Fermented black
>beans are normally rinsed before being used in cooking; otherwise, they
>will impart too much of a salty flavor to the dish. Often you’ll find
>recipes calling for the beans to be mashed with garlic.
>
>Fermented black beans are sold in plastic bags in Asian markets. At
>home, remove the beans from the package and store in a sealed container
>in a cool, dark place. The beans will last for several months. You can
>also find fermented black beans sold in jars - these can be used instead
>if necessary but they don't have as much flavor.
>
>If you don’t live near an Asian market, premade black bean sauce is
>often available in the international or ethnic section of many supermarkets.

I haven't been to my local Asian market yet, later today or tomorrow,
but just went to an independent local market, and they had this:

http://us.lkk.com/en/Products/retail...ack-bean-sauce

Only it was in a stubby jar not a tall bottle, about $3.99 for 8
ounces. But I didn't buy it on the spot for two reasons, first that
it was made in China (!!!!), second I couldn't find an expiration date
and I suspect low turnover.

Does anyone want to vouch for LKK foods? No lead, melamine, or motor
oil involved?

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 11:30 AM, JRStern wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2015 09:58:03 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>>> First of all, which beans, the frijoles or "black soy" beans?
>>>
>>> Second, if you start with dried beans, takes you all day to get them
>>> ready to roll.
>>>
>>> Third, the Chinese version is "fermented", exactly whatever that
>>> means.
>>>
>>> J.
>>>

>> http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chin...blackbeans.htm
>>
>> Definition: These are not the black beans you'll find in Mexican
>> cooking. Fermented black beans (also called salted or dried black beans)
>> are made from soybeans that have been dried and fermented with salt;
>> other spices such as chilies and/or wine and possibly ginger may be
>> added. Because of their strong flavor, fermented black beans are
>> frequently paired with other strong seasonings, such as garlic and
>> chilies. They make a frequent appearance in Cantonese cooking; you’ll
>> find them in dishes such as Shrimp With Lobster Sauce. Fermented black
>> beans are normally rinsed before being used in cooking; otherwise, they
>> will impart too much of a salty flavor to the dish. Often you’ll find
>> recipes calling for the beans to be mashed with garlic.
>>
>> Fermented black beans are sold in plastic bags in Asian markets. At
>> home, remove the beans from the package and store in a sealed container
>> in a cool, dark place. The beans will last for several months. You can
>> also find fermented black beans sold in jars - these can be used instead
>> if necessary but they don't have as much flavor.
>>
>> If you don’t live near an Asian market, premade black bean sauce is
>> often available in the international or ethnic section of many supermarkets.

> I haven't been to my local Asian market yet, later today or tomorrow,
> but just went to an independent local market, and they had this:
>
> http://us.lkk.com/en/Products/retail...ack-bean-sauce
>
> Only it was in a stubby jar not a tall bottle, about $3.99 for 8
> ounces. But I didn't buy it on the spot for two reasons, first that
> it was made in China (!!!!), second I couldn't find an expiration date
> and I suspect low turnover.
>
> Does anyone want to vouch for LKK foods? No lead, melamine, or motor
> oil involved?
>
> J.

You betcha. I've been using their products for years.

I would guess most of our product comes from their Los Angeles factory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2015 12:01:09 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 5/4/2015 11:30 AM, JRStern wrote:

>>> http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chin...blackbeans.htm
>>>
>>> Definition: These are not the black beans you'll find in Mexican
>>> cooking. Fermented black beans (also called salted or dried black beans)
>>> are made from soybeans that have been dried and fermented with salt;
>>> other spices such as chilies and/or wine and possibly ginger may be
>>> added. Because of their strong flavor, fermented black beans are
>>> frequently paired with other strong seasonings, such as garlic and
>>> chilies. They make a frequent appearance in Cantonese cooking; you’ll
>>> find them in dishes such as Shrimp With Lobster Sauce. Fermented black
>>> beans are normally rinsed before being used in cooking; otherwise, they
>>> will impart too much of a salty flavor to the dish. Often you’ll find
>>> recipes calling for the beans to be mashed with garlic.
>>>
>>> Fermented black beans are sold in plastic bags in Asian markets. At
>>> home, remove the beans from the package and store in a sealed container
>>> in a cool, dark place. The beans will last for several months. You can
>>> also find fermented black beans sold in jars - these can be used instead
>>> if necessary but they don't have as much flavor.
>>>
>>> If you don’t live near an Asian market, premade black bean sauce is
>>> often available in the international or ethnic section of many supermarkets.

>> I haven't been to my local Asian market yet, later today or tomorrow,
>> but just went to an independent local market, and they had this:
>>
>> http://us.lkk.com/en/Products/retail...ack-bean-sauce
>>
>> Only it was in a stubby jar not a tall bottle, about $3.99 for 8
>> ounces. But I didn't buy it on the spot for two reasons, first that
>> it was made in China (!!!!), second I couldn't find an expiration date
>> and I suspect low turnover.
>>
>> Does anyone want to vouch for LKK foods? No lead, melamine, or motor
>> oil involved?
>>
>> J.
>>

>You betcha. I've been using their products for years.
>
>I would guess most of our product comes from their Los Angeles factory.

It says "product of China", it may be bottled in Los Angeles or just
warehoused there, or not even, just have a post office box there.

But thanks for the recommendation, I'll be going by the Japanese
market in a little while, after I see what they have I hope to come
home with something.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 8:38 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2015 16:46:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> The beans are too hardcore for me. The stuff in the jar is more lightweight and comes in a more convenient form.

> Equal parts salted black beans, onion and grated garlic, cover with
> oil. Whiz in a blender to make a paste.

Part of the appeal of black beans is that you see it on the dish so you
can either eat it or discard it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 12:35 PM, JRStern wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2015 12:01:09 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>>> I haven't been to my local Asian market yet, later today or tomorrow,
>>> but just went to an independent local market, and they had this:
>>>
>>> http://us.lkk.com/en/Products/retail...ack-bean-sauce
>>>
>>> Only it was in a stubby jar not a tall bottle, about $3.99 for 8
>>> ounces. But I didn't buy it on the spot for two reasons, first that
>>> it was made in China (!!!!), second I couldn't find an expiration date
>>> and I suspect low turnover.
>>>
>>> Does anyone want to vouch for LKK foods? No lead, melamine, or motor
>>> oil involved?
>>>
>>> J.
>>>

>> You betcha. I've been using their products for years.
>>
>> I would guess most of our product comes from their Los Angeles factory.

> It says "product of China", it may be bottled in Los Angeles or just
> warehoused there, or not even, just have a post office box there.

Fair enough.

> But thanks for the recommendation, I'll be going by the Japanese
> market in a little while, after I see what they have I hope to come
> home with something.
>
> J.

I confess to just buying what looks most appealing as long as I can at
least read the ingredients list.

The print is so minute on some of the Chinese product you literally need
a magnifying lens to read the English on it.

I prolly have consumed some melamine inadvertently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 8:55 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2015 15:35:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> I had some chili over rice this morning. Boy, that was good stuff.

> Second day chili over rice is great!

I made the chili with a lot of Korean red pepper powder. I love that
stuff and use it a lot. One of these days, that stuff will make it big!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 7:11 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 7:09:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> How about some nice pressed duck instead? :-)

> Or pressed rat and warthog?
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Anyone for tennis?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 1:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/3/2015 8:55 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 May 2015 15:35:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I had some chili over rice this morning. Boy, that was good stuff.

>> Second day chili over rice is great!
>>

> I made the chili with a lot of Korean red pepper powder. I love that
> stuff and use it a lot. One of these days, that stuff will make it big!

That is the other thing Koreans have mastered - pepper.

I love the crystalline flakes of dried red pepper and especially the
tubs of Gochujang paste.

So versatile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 1:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/4/2015 7:11 AM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 7:09:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> How about some nice pressed duck instead? :-)

>> Or pressed rat and warthog?
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>

> Anyone for tennis?

"And Pressed Rat's collection of dog legs and feet."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 10:22 AM, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 5/4/2015 1:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 5/3/2015 8:55 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Second day chili over rice is great!
>>>

>> I made the chili with a lot of Korean red pepper powder. I love that
>> stuff and use it a lot. One of these days, that stuff will make it big!

> That is the other thing Koreans have mastered - pepper.
>
> I love the crystalline flakes of dried red pepper and especially the
> tubs of Gochujang paste.
>
> So versatile.

You're right about the flakes having a crystalline appearance. I can't
say what causes that. The really fine powdered stuff is just beautiful.
A deep ox-blood red that just draws you in - well, me anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 10:27 AM, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 5/4/2015 1:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Or pressed rat and warthog?
>>>
>>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>>

>> Anyone for tennis?

> "And Pressed Rat's collection of dog legs and feet."

And that, kids, is why you want to be laying off of the LSD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 3:20 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/4/2015 10:22 AM, W. Lohman wrote:

>>> I made the chili with a lot of Korean red pepper powder. I love that
>>> stuff and use it a lot. One of these days, that stuff will make it big!

>> That is the other thing Koreans have mastered - pepper.
>>
>> I love the crystalline flakes of dried red pepper and especially the
>> tubs of Gochujang paste.
>>
>> So versatile.
>>

> You're right about the flakes having a crystalline appearance. I can't
> say what causes that. The really fine powdered stuff is just beautiful.
> A deep ox-blood red that just draws you in - well, me anyway.

Oh yeah, me too.

Cooking Channel has a great Korean food show on now with Judy Joo:

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/show...de-simple.html

Must see TV.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 3:22 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/4/2015 10:27 AM, W. Lohman wrote:

>>> Anyone for tennis?

>> "And Pressed Rat's collection of dog legs and feet."
>>

> And that, kids, is why you want to be laying off of the LSD.

LOL!

....that and the trails...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2015 13:48:37 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 5/4/2015 12:35 PM, JRStern wrote:

>>> You betcha. I've been using their products for years.
>>>
>>> I would guess most of our product comes from their Los Angeles factory.

>> It says "product of China", it may be bottled in Los Angeles or just
>> warehoused there, or not even, just have a post office box there.

>Fair enough.
>
>> But thanks for the recommendation, I'll be going by the Japanese
>> market in a little while, after I see what they have I hope to come
>> home with something.
>>
>> J.

>I confess to just buying what looks most appealing as long as I can at
>least read the ingredients list.
>
>The print is so minute on some of the Chinese product you literally need
>a magnifying lens to read the English on it.
>
>I prolly have consumed some melamine inadvertently.

http://www.jfc.com/images/items/item28632.jpg

Dynasty brand

7 ounces, $1.99, product of USA

http://www.jfc.com/images/items/item28632.jpg

They also had bags of dried black soy beans for cheap, but they have
to be prepared like any dry bean, and are a distance away from the
sauce. I didn't see bags of fermented dried bean, or maybe I did and
they didn't have any English on them. Anyway, I thought I'd try this
first.

No expiration date on this one either, but I'm guessing they have a
lot more turnover there at my local Mitsuwa market.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 2:56:24 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/4/2015 7:11 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 7:09:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> >>
> >> How about some nice pressed duck instead? :-)

> > Or pressed rat and warthog?
> >
> > http://www.richardfisher.com
> >

> Anyone for tennis?

I love Cream--Tales of Brave Ulysses, White Room...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 4:56 PM, JRStern wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2015 13:48:37 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>>> It says "product of China", it may be bottled in Los Angeles or just
>>> warehoused there, or not even, just have a post office box there.

>> Fair enough.
>>
>>> But thanks for the recommendation, I'll be going by the Japanese
>>> market in a little while, after I see what they have I hope to come
>>> home with something.
>>>
>>> J.

>> I confess to just buying what looks most appealing as long as I can at
>> least read the ingredients list.
>>
>> The print is so minute on some of the Chinese product you literally need
>> a magnifying lens to read the English on it.
>>
>> I prolly have consumed some melamine inadvertently.

> http://www.jfc.com/images/items/item28632.jpg
>
> Dynasty brand
>
> 7 ounces, $1.99, product of USA
>
> http://www.jfc.com/images/items/item28632.jpg
>
> They also had bags of dried black soy beans for cheap, but they have
> to be prepared like any dry bean, and are a distance away from the
> sauce. I didn't see bags of fermented dried bean, or maybe I did and
> they didn't have any English on them. Anyway, I thought I'd try this
> first.
>
> No expiration date on this one either, but I'm guessing they have a
> lot more turnover there at my local Mitsuwa market.
>
> J.

I've used Dynasty, in fact my local grocer stocks it - good stuff.

You'll be happy with it.

Recently I was stoked to find a bottle version of spring roll sauce.
It's that lovely peanut/bean paste that's served with Goi Cuon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 6:26 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 2:56:24 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Or pressed rat and warthog?
>>>
>>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>>

>> Anyone for tennis?

> I love Cream--Tales of Brave Ulysses, White Room...
>
> --Bryan

"I told you not to wander 'round in the dark.
I told you 'bout the swans, that they live in the park.
Then I told you 'bout our kid, now he's married to Mabel..."

Chinese urine-soaked "virgin boy eggs" Appetizer or entree? pavane[_4_] General Cooking 5 02-04-2012 10:42 PM
What is Chinese "black" tea? pgwk Tea 9 10-05-2007 07:58 PM
"Golden Hooks" (Chinese Oven-Baked Marinated Shrimp) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 03-01-2006 08:40 PM