Old 28-04-2015, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More European horse meat!

Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
meat out of the food supply.

It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read
a quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their
diameter and density this is difficult to translate into concrete
pounds of meat.

Bon appetit!

Old 28-04-2015, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
meat out of the food supply.

It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.

Bon appetit!

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?
Graham

Old 28-04-2015, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:33:49 -0600, graham wrote:

On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
meat out of the food supply.

It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.

Bon appetit!

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

Camilla Parker Bowels could have sat on it for a Lady Godiva
reenactment. Shudder.

Or

Could result in the accidental death of Sarah Jessica Parker.

What is it about the name 'Parker' and horses anyway?
Old 29-04-2015, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2015 6:33 PM, graham wrote:
On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
meat out of the food supply.

It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.

Bon appetit!

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?
Graham

Oregonian is an idiot.

There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Jill
Old 29-04-2015, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message

There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not EVER
been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just trying to
offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a rat's ass.
Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Jill

It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people voted
against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.

Cheri

Old 29-04-2015, 01:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/04/2015 5:58 PM, Cheri wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Jill

It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people
voted against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.

Cheri

AIUI, Petanuts managed to get the slaughter of horses banned in much, if
not all the US. As a result, many horses are shipped up to Canada where
there are no restrictions and the meat is exported.
Graham

Old 29-04-2015, 02:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message

There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Jill

It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people
voted against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.

Cheri

AIUI, Petanuts managed to get the slaughter of horses banned in much, if
not all the US. As a result, many horses are shipped up to Canada where
there are no restrictions and the meat is exported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDzeuWc5Vkk

Graham

--Bryan
Old 29-04-2015, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:33:49 -0600, graham wrote:

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

Nothing. Taste, texture, and some health issues aside, muscle meat is
muscle meat. What's wrong is being told that what you're eating is
something that it's not. The problem as I recall it is that horse
was/is being mixed in with other meats in prepared foods (meatballs
and suchlike) without this being indicated on the label.

Anyone else here remember Merkel's 'roos?
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...-sifted-in-n-y

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Old 29-04-2015, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2015 5:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
rat's ass.

Phew....you are creepy!
Old 29-04-2015, 08:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-28 23:03:21 +0000, jmcquown said:

Oregonian is an idiot.

And you're a biddy but that doesn't stop you from offering opinions you
are not qualified to dispense.

There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat

I have gone on record here before saying that I have no issue with the
consumption of horsemeat, and that I would actually like to legally
hunt the wild horses that the federal government rounds up and sells at
a ridiculous expense.

except it has not EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's

It was never common in the USA except as a famine or emergency food.
Horses were typically too valuable to eat, being kept until they died
of disease or old age and therefore being unfit for food.

He's just trying to offer of political view, as usual.

What's political about unscrupulous mercantilists adulterating the food
supply? This is something that impacts people regardless of their
political bent.

I don't really give a rat's ass.

Not "really" but surely you give enough of a rat's ass to get your perm
all frizzy and post here proclaiming your lack of concern about the
matter. Very odd indeed...

Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Unless you are eating imported European "beef" products anyway!

Old 29-04-2015, 08:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-28 23:58:28 +0000, Cheri said:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Jill

It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people
voted against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.

Cheri

The taboo against horsemeat dates back to the Christianization of
England and Scotland, where horsemeat and the horse sacrifice was an
important part of kingship and religious rituals in pagan times.
Closely related rituals existed across Germanic nations, into India and
Iran.

Old 29-04-2015, 08:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-29 03:50:39 +0000, Opinicus said:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:33:49 -0600, graham wrote:

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

Nothing. Taste, texture, and some health issues aside, muscle meat is
muscle meat. What's wrong is being told that what you're eating is
something that it's not. The problem as I recall it is that horse
was/is being mixed in with other meats in prepared foods (meatballs
and suchlike) without this being indicated on the label.

Anyone else here remember Merkel's 'roos?
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...-sifted-in-n-y

I'm not sure how somebody could mistake, other than intentionally, this
issue of adulteration for some kind of diatribe against consumption of
horse meat.

Then again these folks are your typical pro-Roundup, pro-GMO,
pro-artificial adulterant types so what else can one expect?

Old 29-04-2015, 10:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message
On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
meat out of the food supply.

It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.

Bon appetit!

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

When I've lived in Germany/Belgium et al the horsemeat was in one freezer,
pork in the next, beef in the next etc.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 29-04-2015, 12:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:18:14 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"graham" wrote in message
On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
meat out of the food supply.

It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.

Bon appetit!

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

When I've lived in Germany/Belgium et al the horsemeat was in one freezer,
pork in the next, beef in the next etc.

and what about canine protein? The Chinese will tell you canine is the
most tasty of proteins! Besides, you should use your cows for plowing!
Check out this Chinese fresh canine market...
https://youtu.be/589NAoC9Q6Y

William

Old 29-04-2015, 03:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-28, jmcquown wrote:

Oregonian is an idiot.

You state the obvious.

Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Actually, there was a horse meat store across the street from where I
worked in a Salem Oregon cannery. This in about '74. It didn't do
much business and so eventually closed, but the fact remains that it
DID exist.

nb