Posted to rec.food.cooking
Oregonian Haruspex Oregonian Haruspex is offline

Default More European horse meat!

On 2015-04-28 23:58:28 +0000, Cheri said:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
>> EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
>> trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
>> rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.
>>
>> Jill

> It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people
> voted against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.
>
> Cheri

The taboo against horsemeat dates back to the Christianization of
England and Scotland, where horsemeat and the horse sacrifice was an
important part of kingship and religious rituals in pagan times.
Closely related rituals existed across Germanic nations, into India and
Iran.