Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More European horse meat!

Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
meat out of the food supply.

It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read
a quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their
diameter and density this is difficult to translate into concrete
pounds of meat.

Bon appetit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
> meat out of the food supply.
>
> It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
> adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
> much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
> quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
> and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.
>
> Bon appetit!

So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:33:49 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
>> meat out of the food supply.
>>
>> It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
>> adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
>> much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
>> quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
>> and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.
>>
>> Bon appetit!
>>

>So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

Camilla Parker Bowels could have sat on it for a Lady Godiva
reenactment. Shudder.

Or

Could result in the accidental death of Sarah Jessica Parker.

What is it about the name 'Parker' and horses anyway?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2015 6:33 PM, graham wrote:
> On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
>> meat out of the food supply.
>>
>> It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
>> adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
>> much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
>> quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
>> and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.
>>
>> Bon appetit!
>>

> So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?
> Graham

Oregonian is an idiot.

There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not EVER
> been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just trying to
> offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a rat's ass.
> Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.
>
> Jill

It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people voted
against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/04/2015 5:58 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
>> EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
>> trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
>> rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.
>>
>> Jill

> It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people
> voted against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.
>
> Cheri

AIUI, Petanuts managed to get the slaughter of horses banned in much, if
not all the US. As a result, many horses are shipped up to Canada where
there are no restrictions and the meat is exported.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDzeuWc5Vkk

> Graham

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:33:49 -0600, graham > wrote:

>So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

Nothing. Taste, texture, and some health issues aside, muscle meat is
muscle meat. What's wrong is being told that what you're eating is
something that it's not. The problem as I recall it is that horse
was/is being mixed in with other meats in prepared foods (meatballs
and suchlike) without this being indicated on the label.

Anyone else here remember Merkel's 'roos?
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...-sifted-in-n-y

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2015 5:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
> EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
> trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
> rat's ass.

Phew....you are creepy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-28 23:03:21 +0000, jmcquown said:

> Oregonian is an idiot.

And you're a biddy but that doesn't stop you from offering opinions you
are not qualified to dispense.

> There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat

I have gone on record here before saying that I have no issue with the
consumption of horsemeat, and that I would actually like to legally
hunt the wild horses that the federal government rounds up and sells at
a ridiculous expense.

> except it has not EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's

It was never common in the USA except as a famine or emergency food.
Horses were typically too valuable to eat, being kept until they died
of disease or old age and therefore being unfit for food.

> He's just trying to offer of political view, as usual.

What's political about unscrupulous mercantilists adulterating the food
supply? This is something that impacts people regardless of their
political bent.

> I don't really give a rat's ass.

Not "really" but surely you give enough of a rat's ass to get your perm
all frizzy and post here proclaiming your lack of concern about the
matter. Very odd indeed...

> Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Unless you are eating imported European "beef" products anyway!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-28 23:58:28 +0000, Cheri said:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not
>> EVER been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just
>> trying to offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a
>> rat's ass. Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.
>>
>> Jill

> It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people
> voted against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.
>
> Cheri

The taboo against horsemeat dates back to the Christianization of
England and Scotland, where horsemeat and the horse sacrifice was an
important part of kingship and religious rituals in pagan times.
Closely related rituals existed across Germanic nations, into India and
Iran.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-29 03:50:39 +0000, Opinicus said:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:33:49 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

> Nothing. Taste, texture, and some health issues aside, muscle meat is
> muscle meat. What's wrong is being told that what you're eating is
> something that it's not. The problem as I recall it is that horse
> was/is being mixed in with other meats in prepared foods (meatballs
> and suchlike) without this being indicated on the label.
>
> Anyone else here remember Merkel's 'roos?
> http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...-sifted-in-n-y

I'm not sure how somebody could mistake, other than intentionally, this
issue of adulteration for some kind of diatribe against consumption of
horse meat.

Then again these folks are your typical pro-Roundup, pro-GMO,
pro-artificial adulterant types so what else can one expect?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
>> meat out of the food supply.
>>
>> It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
>> adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
>> much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
>> quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
>> and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.
>>
>> Bon appetit!
>>

> So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

When I've lived in Germany/Belgium et al the horsemeat was in one freezer,
pork in the next, beef in the next etc.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:18:14 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"graham" > wrote in message
>> On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>>> Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
>>> meat out of the food supply.
>>>
>>> It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
>>> adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
>>> much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
>>> quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
>>> and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.
>>>
>>> Bon appetit!
>>>

>> So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?

>When I've lived in Germany/Belgium et al the horsemeat was in one freezer,
>pork in the next, beef in the next etc.

and what about canine protein? The Chinese will tell you canine is the
most tasty of proteins! Besides, you should use your cows for plowing!
Check out this Chinese fresh canine market...
https://youtu.be/589NAoC9Q6Y

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-28, jmcquown > wrote:

> Oregonian is an idiot.

You state the obvious.

> Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.

Actually, there was a horse meat store across the street from where I
worked in a Salem Oregon cannery. This in about '74. It didn't do
much business and so eventually closed, but the fact remains that it
DID exist.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-29 11:58:26 +0000, William said:

> and what about canine protein? The Chinese will tell you canine is the
> most tasty of proteins! Besides, you should use your cows for plowing!
> Check out this Chinese fresh canine market...

I have eaten dogs and have no problem with this as a rule. I know you
think you're being cute for posting such a video but it's not
inevitable that a dog destined for the plate be abused its entire life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 11:49:08 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>On 2015-04-29 11:58:26 +0000, William said:
>
>> and what about canine protein? The Chinese will tell you canine is the
>> most tasty of proteins! Besides, you should use your cows for plowing!
>> Check out this Chinese fresh canine market...

>I have eaten dogs and have no problem with this as a rule. I know you
>think you're being cute for posting such a video but it's not
>inevitable that a dog destined for the plate be abused its entire life.

No, I was just pointing out the fact that depending on what part of
the world you are located in, different animals are preferred for
eating. I think meat is meat wherever you eat.

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:23:16 -0400, William > wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 11:49:08 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:
>
>>On 2015-04-29 11:58:26 +0000, William said:
>>
>>> and what about canine protein? The Chinese will tell you canine is the
>>> most tasty of proteins! Besides, you should use your cows for plowing!
>>> Check out this Chinese fresh canine market...

>>I have eaten dogs and have no problem with this as a rule. I know you
>>think you're being cute for posting such a video but it's not
>>inevitable that a dog destined for the plate be abused its entire life.

>No, I was just pointing out the fact that depending on what part of
>the world you are located in, different animals are preferred for
>eating. I think meat is meat wherever you eat.
>
>William

In Africa, Chimps and Gorillas are prized delicacies...

https://youtu.be/V7nsh7UtIS0

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:58:28 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> There is nothing really wrong with eating horsemeat except it has not EVER
>> been common in the US except for around the 1800's. He's just trying to
>> offer of political view, as usual. I don't really give a rat's ass.
>> Horsemeat is not generally sold in the US.
>>
>> Jill

>It was sold in CA for awhile, but they put it on the ballot and people voted
>against it so it's not sold for human consumption here anymore.
>
>Cheri

Back in the early 1950s my husband used to buy horsemeat from a
butcher shop in San Diego. He said it was a llttle grainier than beef
and tasted pretty good. The prime cuts were about .25 a lb.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 3:33:46 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
> On 28/04/2015 4:19 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> > Seems like our friends over the big pond can't seem to keep the horse
> > meat out of the food supply.
> >
> > It's tough to tell from the stories being published about this latest
> > adulteration scandal (which seems to also invlove "downer" horses) how
> > much meat has been recalled, but lots and lots of it for sure. I read a
> > quote that said "millions of meatballs" but depending on their diameter
> > and density this is difficult to translate into concrete pounds of meat.
> >
> > Bon appetit!
> >

> So what exactly is WRONG with eating horsemeat?
> Graham

The steaks are relatively small.

The current argument is that most horses now are ex-race horses, and that most
race horses are doped with something or other.

Horsemeat is generally to be found in Francophone countries, including
the Dutch-speaking parts of Belgium. It is now priced higher than beef,
the way lamb is in the US.

The cw when I was a kid was that horsemeat was fed to dogs.

I do not eat my fellow omnivore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2015 10:02 AM, Ophelia wrote:

One other example from this side of the pond of really impossibly dumb
legislative suggestions:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...d-be-mandatory

"Probably we should be debating a bill requiring every American to
attend a church of their choice on Sunday to see if we can get back to
having a moral rebirth," adding "that would never be allowed." ...
"I believe what's happening to our country is that there's a moral
erosion of the soul of America," she said.