Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Leg of Lamb at Costco

In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
your store.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:58:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:55:34 -0600, Janet B wrote:
>
>> In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
>> your store.
>> Janet US

>They've been $3.99/lb here for years. Maybe they went up in the last
>month, though.
>
>-sw

Lucky you! They've been close to $6/lb for a year or so.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2015 7:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:55:34 -0600, Janet B wrote:
>
>> In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
>> your store.
>> Janet US

> They've been $3.99/lb here for years. Maybe they went up in the last
> month, though.
>
> -sw

Must be like the price of corned beef after St. Patrick's Day.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-10 19:55, Janet B wrote:

> In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
> your store.

Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had some last
year and it was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 5:53:02 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-04-10 19:55, Janet B wrote:
> >
> > In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
> > your store.
> >

> Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had some last
> year and it was delicious.

Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size chops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
> your store.
> Janet US

I need olive oil and plan to go tomorrow, so I'll check it out.
Thanks.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:53:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-04-10 19:55, Janet B wrote:
> >
> > In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
> > your store.
> >

> Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had some last
> year and it was delicious.

I had an issue with Australian lamb for many years and it wasn't for a
lack of trying. I finally gave it up in favor or NZ, but I tried it
again a few months ago and discovered the flavor had drastically
improved. I don't know if the store changed suppliers or what
happened, but it was good enough to change my attitude and I'll try
the lamb at Costco with an open mind.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Janet B wrote:
>

> > In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
> > your store.

> I need olive oil and plan to go tomorrow, so I'll check it out.
> Thanks.

Both online at the same time. You're up late and I'm up early. I'm
heading to the grocery in about 2 hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 5:53:02 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2015-04-10 19:55, Janet B wrote:
> > >
> > > In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
> > > your store.
> > >

> > Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had some last
> > year and it was delicious.

> Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size chops.

That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
"American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That was
back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only conclude it
was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:31:40 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:53:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-04-10 19:55, Janet B wrote:
>> >
>> > In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
>> > your store.
>> >

>> Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had some last
>> year and it was delicious.
>>

>I had an issue with Australian lamb for many years and it wasn't for a
>lack of trying. I finally gave it up in favor or NZ, but I tried it
>again a few months ago and discovered the flavor had drastically
>improved. I don't know if the store changed suppliers

You didn't like 'Australian lamb' but now suspect "the store changed
suppliers". Well, which is it then?

>or what
>happened, but it was good enough to change my attitude and I'll try
>the lamb at Costco with an open mind.

Seriously, you're an imbecile. Then again, maybe the 'Australian Lamb'
factory have brought out a new model? Jesus H...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:38:24 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>> > Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had some last
>> > year and it was delicious.

>> Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size chops.

>That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
>"American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
>posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That was
>back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only conclude it
>was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

You're *such* an idiot.
And you'll never, ever, realise just by how much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 12:38:37 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:

> > > Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had some last
> > > year and it was delicious.

> > Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size chops.

> That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
> "American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
> posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That was
> back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only conclude it
> was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

The REALl butcher, at the real butcher store here in town sells local, pastured and organic where possible meat. He sells local American lamb. I asked him about why his legs and boneless legs and chops etc. seemed larger that what I could find elsewhere. He explained that in the US lambs are generally slaughtered later and Australian lamb is slaughtered earlier.
So, what is true for you is not necessarily true everywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:57:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 12:38:37 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > > wrote:

> > > Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size chops.

> > That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
> > "American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
> > posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That was
> > back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only conclude it
> > was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

> The REALl butcher, at the real butcher store here in town sells local, pastured and organic where possible meat. He sells local American lamb. I asked him about why his legs and boneless legs and chops etc. seemed larger that what I could find elsewhere. He explained that in the US lambs are generally slaughtered later and Australian lamb is slaughtered earlier.
> So, what is true for you is not necessarily true everywhere.

Neither is your experience.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 7:05:44 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:38:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:

> >> Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size chops.

> >That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
> >"American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
> >posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That was
> >back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only conclude it
> >was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

> You couldn't possibly palm off mutton as lamb!! Don't you even know
> the saying about old women dressed like teens ? Mutton dressed as
> lamb - because it's so obvious.

I doubt if ANYONE has ever tried to "pawn off" mutton as lamb.

If she found that Australian lamb was "awful" then it was old or not
handled properly.

As a meat cutter, I cut up lamb from Australia and New Zealand. My
customers knew what they were getting and what they wanted. Never had a
complaint.

Personally, I prefer Canadian grown lamb and I presume American grown lamb
is much the same. Our Canadian grown lamb is delicious and I love it
oven-broiled and cut about 1 inch thick or better.
=======

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-11 5:27 PM, Roy wrote:

>> You couldn't possibly palm off mutton as lamb!! Don't you even know
>> the saying about old women dressed like teens ? Mutton dressed as
>> lamb - because it's so obvious.

> I doubt if ANYONE has ever tried to "pawn off" mutton as lamb.
>
> If she found that Australian lamb was "awful" then it was old or not
> handled properly.
>
> As a meat cutter, I cut up lamb from Australia and New Zealand. My
> customers knew what they were getting and what they wanted. Never had a
> complaint.
>
> Personally, I prefer Canadian grown lamb and I presume American grown lamb
> is much the same. Our Canadian grown lamb is delicious and I love it
> oven-broiled and cut about 1 inch thick or better.

Canadian lamb is pretty good. NZ lamb is not as good, but it is a heck
of a lot easier on the wallet.

I only had Australian lamb once and there was nothing wrong with it at
all. Maybe it depends to some degree on how much you like lamb compared
to other meats. I love lamb and I could use a very cruse scale to
rate various cuts of meats. Lamb tenderloin would be at the top of
the list, followed by rack of lamb or loin chops. Then we go to beef
tenderloin, rib eyes, Porterhouse. People who rank lamb lower in a
list like that might start quibbling about the source, but I usually
figure that even the worst examples of those prime cuts of lamb are
better than the best cuts of beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/04/2015 3:27 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 7:05:44 AM UTC-6, wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:38:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

>>> That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
>>> "American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
>>> posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That was
>>> back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only conclude it
>>> was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

>> You couldn't possibly palm off mutton as lamb!! Don't you even know
>> the saying about old women dressed like teens ? Mutton dressed as
>> lamb - because it's so obvious.

> I doubt if ANYONE has ever tried to "pawn off" mutton as lamb.
>
> If she found that Australian lamb was "awful" then it was old or not
> handled properly.
>
> As a meat cutter, I cut up lamb from Australia and New Zealand. My
> customers knew what they were getting and what they wanted. Never had a
> complaint.
>
> Personally, I prefer Canadian grown lamb and I presume American grown lamb
> is much the same. Our Canadian grown lamb is delicious and I love it
> oven-broiled and cut about 1 inch thick or better.
> =======

I've eaten:
English (including salt-marsh)
French
Alberta
Australian
New Zealand
and it has all been good! Some might have had a stronger flavour than
others but since I like the taste, I can accept them all.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 18:17:31 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-04-11 5:27 PM, Roy wrote:
> >
> >> You couldn't possibly palm off mutton as lamb!! Don't you even know
> >> the saying about old women dressed like teens ? Mutton dressed as
> >> lamb - because it's so obvious.

> > I doubt if ANYONE has ever tried to "pawn off" mutton as lamb.
> >
> > If she found that Australian lamb was "awful" then it was old or not
> > handled properly.
> >
> > As a meat cutter, I cut up lamb from Australia and New Zealand. My
> > customers knew what they were getting and what they wanted. Never had a
> > complaint.
> >
> > Personally, I prefer Canadian grown lamb and I presume American grown lamb
> > is much the same. Our Canadian grown lamb is delicious and I love it
> > oven-broiled and cut about 1 inch thick or better.
> >

> Canadian lamb is pretty good. NZ lamb is not as good, but it is a heck
> of a lot easier on the wallet.
>
> I only had Australian lamb once and there was nothing wrong with it at
> all. Maybe it depends to some degree on how much you like lamb compared
> to other meats. I love lamb and I could use a very cruse scale to
> rate various cuts of meats. Lamb tenderloin would be at the top of
> the list, followed by rack of lamb or loin chops. Then we go to beef
> tenderloin, rib eyes, Porterhouse. People who rank lamb lower in a
> list like that might start quibbling about the source, but I usually
> figure that even the worst examples of those prime cuts of lamb are
> better than the best cuts of beef.

Are you trying to tell me I don't like lamb?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:27:32 -0600, graham > wrote:

> Some might have had a stronger flavour than
> others but since I like the taste, I can accept them all.

I can't the muttony tasting kind. Thankfully, the last Australian
lamb I bought had toned that flavor way down.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-11 6:46 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Personally, I prefer Canadian grown lamb and I presume American grown lamb
>>> is much the same. Our Canadian grown lamb is delicious and I love it
>>> oven-broiled and cut about 1 inch thick or better.
>>>

>> Canadian lamb is pretty good. NZ lamb is not as good, but it is a heck
>> of a lot easier on the wallet.
>>
>> I only had Australian lamb once and there was nothing wrong with it at
>> all. Maybe it depends to some degree on how much you like lamb compared
>> to other meats. I love lamb and I could use a very cruse scale to
>> rate various cuts of meats. Lamb tenderloin would be at the top of
>> the list, followed by rack of lamb or loin chops. Then we go to beef
>> tenderloin, rib eyes, Porterhouse. People who rank lamb lower in a
>> list like that might start quibbling about the source, but I usually
>> figure that even the worst examples of those prime cuts of lamb are
>> better than the best cuts of beef.

> Are you trying to tell me I don't like lamb?

Sorry Princess. I quoted what I posted and what I replied to, and your
name appears not even once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 4:11:36 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 14:27:58 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> wrote:

> >> You couldn't possibly palm off mutton as lamb!! Don't you even know
> >> the saying about old women dressed like teens ? Mutton dressed as
> >> lamb - because it's so obvious.

> >I doubt if ANYONE has ever tried to "pawn off" mutton as lamb.
> >
> >If she found that Australian lamb was "awful" then it was old or not
> >handled properly.
> >
> >As a meat cutter, I cut up lamb from Australia and New Zealand. My
> >customers knew what they were getting and what they wanted. Never had a
> >complaint.
> >
> >Personally, I prefer Canadian grown lamb and I presume American grown lamb
> >is much the same. Our Canadian grown lamb is delicious and I love it
> >oven-broiled and cut about 1 inch thick or better.
> >=======
> >

> I didn't say anyone was trying to 'pawn' off anything -

I was referring to what a previous poster said and NOT you. I was just
restating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 4:55:42 PM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:

> In my store, all sizes, $4.49/pound. (Australian lamb) Check out
> your store.

Be awa there is a thin plastic packet of some kind in the pack,
underneath the meat. I missed it the first time I bought it and sliced
right into it, releasing some sort of blood-soaked gel.

I buy that Costco OZ lamb from time to time, mostly to cut up for
stew. It is neither wonderful nor terrible. I prefer NZ lamb, which is hard
to find these days, but not for any reason I can articulate. The
American-grown lamb we get in stores is top-notch, with prices to match.

Everyone in my wife's family liked lamb except her dad. I think I have
mentioned this befo he ate so much NZ mutton during the war that he
eschewed the ovines ever since.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 5:48:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 4:11:36 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> >> I didn't say anyone was trying to 'pawn' off anything -

> >I was referring to what a previous poster said and NOT you. I was just
> >restating.

> So you should have stated that and not left my post as if that was
> what you were answering.

OKAY...I'm sorry...my error.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/04/2015 4:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:27:32 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> Some might have had a stronger flavour than
>> others but since I like the taste, I can accept them all.

> I can't the muttony tasting kind. Thankfully, the last Australian
> lamb I bought had toned that flavor way down.

Your original experience may have been a hogget rather than a lamb.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:28:41 -0600, graham > wrote:

> On 11/04/2015 4:50 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:27:32 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> >> Some might have had a stronger flavour than
> >> others but since I like the taste, I can accept them all.

> > I can't the muttony tasting kind. Thankfully, the last Australian
> > lamb I bought had toned that flavor way down.
> >

> Your original experience may have been a hogget rather than a lamb.
> Graham

The Australian "lamb"? Who knows. It was nasty for years, decades.
It was labeled "lamb", as it still is. I put it down to feed, but it
could have been age. That would explain why the taste changed for the
better. My theory was they had feed lots for lamb where they finished
sheep destined for sale here with feed that's more palatable to
American tastes. No idea what the reality is and no one else here
knows either, including you.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-11 11:06 PM, sf wrote:

>> Everyone in my wife's family liked lamb except her dad. I think I have
>> mentioned this befo he ate so much NZ mutton during the war that he
>> eschewed the ovines ever since.

> My mother told me that many lamb hating men from the WWII era had
> eaten mutton back then and it's a flavor that will ruin most people on
> "lamb" forever. She hated mutton, but knew the difference between
> mutton and lamb - so she cooked leg of lamb for us once or twice a
> year.

My father was one of those whose hatred is a result of the war years.
He spent about 3 years in England and Scotland during the war and was
fed a lot of mutton. He would not touch lamb.

One thing I find interesting is the polar attitudes that people have
about lamb. They seem to love it or hate it. Among our friends and
relatives there are not many couples where both like it. My wife and I
both like it. My oldest brother loves is, as did his late wife. My next
older brother loves it but his wife hates it. My younger brother hates
it and his wife loves it. My SiL loves it but her husband hates it. My
son is not all that crazy about lamb but he used to endure it because I
make a curry with the leftovers and he loves that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-12, Dave Smith > wrote:

> One thing I find interesting is the polar attitudes that people have
> about lamb. They seem to love it or hate it. Among our friends and
> relatives there are not many couples where both like it. My wife and I
> both like it. My oldest brother loves is, as did his late wife. My next
> older brother loves it but his wife hates it. My younger brother hates
> it and his wife loves it. My SiL loves it but her husband hates it. My
> son is not all that crazy about lamb but he used to endure it because I
> make a curry with the leftovers and he loves that.

I like goat.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/04/2015 8:07 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-04-12, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> One thing I find interesting is the polar attitudes that people have
>> about lamb. They seem to love it or hate it. Among our friends and
>> relatives there are not many couples where both like it. My wife and I
>> both like it. My oldest brother loves is, as did his late wife. My next
>> older brother loves it but his wife hates it. My younger brother hates
>> it and his wife loves it. My SiL loves it but her husband hates it. My
>> son is not all that crazy about lamb but he used to endure it because I
>> make a curry with the leftovers and he loves that.

> I like goat.
>
> nb

You got mine!:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2015 10:07 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-04-12, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> One thing I find interesting is the polar attitudes that people have
>> about lamb. They seem to love it or hate it. Among our friends and
>> relatives there are not many couples where both like it. My wife and I
>> both like it. My oldest brother loves is, as did his late wife. My next
>> older brother loves it but his wife hates it. My younger brother hates
>> it and his wife loves it. My SiL loves it but her husband hates it. My
>> son is not all that crazy about lamb but he used to endure it because I
>> make a curry with the leftovers and he loves that.

> I like goat.
>
> nb

Now you've done it! The price of goat will go up!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-12 10:07 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-04-12, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> One thing I find interesting is the polar attitudes that people have
>> about lamb. They seem to love it or hate it. Among our friends and
>> relatives there are not many couples where both like it. My wife and I
>> both like it. My oldest brother loves is, as did his late wife. My next
>> older brother loves it but his wife hates it. My younger brother hates
>> it and his wife loves it. My SiL loves it but her husband hates it. My
>> son is not all that crazy about lamb but he used to endure it because I
>> make a curry with the leftovers and he loves that.

> I like goat.

It's not baaaaaad.
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:11:08 -0400, Susan > wrote:

>On 4/11/2015 5:27 PM, Roy wrote:
>> I doubt if ANYONE has ever tried to "pawn off" mutton as lamb.
>>
>> If she found that Australian lamb was "awful" then it was old or not
>> handled properly.

>Or she doesn't like the taste of lamb raised on that particular forage
>in Oz. Costco Australian lamb is gamier/lambier than American lamb
>from, say, Colorado. Must be what they're grazing on.

This is the bit I don't get for some time with sf, or anyone else who
thinks that way. There is no single 'lamb farm' in Australia,
Australian lamb is raised on a wide range of climates and vegetation,
so there is quite a wide variation in the finished product, depending
on what region it originated from. And I can't see how all Aus lamb
exported to the U.S can always be from the same place. So how can it
all taste the same? That doesnt even account for the different breeds
of sheep either...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 12:31:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-04-12 10:07 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2015-04-12, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I find interesting is the polar attitudes that people have
>>> about lamb. They seem to love it or hate it. Among our friends and
>>> relatives there are not many couples where both like it. My wife and I
>>> both like it. My oldest brother loves is, as did his late wife. My next
>>> older brother loves it but his wife hates it. My younger brother hates
>>> it and his wife loves it. My SiL loves it but her husband hates it. My
>>> son is not all that crazy about lamb but he used to endure it because I
>>> make a curry with the leftovers and he loves that.

>> I like goat.
>>

>It's not baaaaaad.

Goat is as good as lamb IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:

> > > Some people seem to have an issue with Australian lamb. I had
> > > some last year and it was delicious.

> > Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American lamb.
> > American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian lamb.
> > To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size
> > chops.

> That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
> "American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
> posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That was
> back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only conclude it
> was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

USA has no age restrictions on age of the animal and calls it all Lamb.
Other countries have age restrictions on how you label it. In the USA,
mutton (3 tooth and past that) is sold as 'lamb'.

USA folks dont eat our own lamb because:

1- historically priced very high and maintained that way due to the
cattle industry.

2- no control on age, you get what you get and the price can be 20$ a
lb for hogget (dropping now based on imports).

3- cost has been so high and quality low drove prices up for so long
that most current shoppers do not know how to cook lamb properly so
give up after a try or two.

The main problem with the imports is:

1- USA folks are so used to aged (mutton) that they do not recognize
the difference.

2- USA folks have no clue that actually mutton can be superior in the
right cooking methods for some dishes. Schwarma (sp?) for example will
not be right with a younger meat.

The current shoulder blade cuts i get are definately mutton level aged
animals and *perfect* for the curries I use them with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_and_mutton

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Je_us wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:38:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:

> out >> > > your store.

> some last >> > year and it was delicious.
> >>
> >> Australian lamb is slaughtered at a younger age than American

> lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian
> lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size
> chops.
> >
> > That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
> > "American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
> > posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That
> > was back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only
> > conclude it was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

> You're such an idiot.
> And you'll never, ever, realise just by how much.

She's not an idiot, just a case of never having lived outside the USA
so has the thought patterns of one who has not lived abroad. 'What she
sees is how it is' and this is not questioned.

American 'lamb' is normally hogget or mutton by definition elsewhere.
The few times they get actual baby lamb, they dont knw what to do with
t and in fact, most do not know what to do with hogget or mutton either.

Don't blame her or others like her. It was a meat prety much not
available for 50 years or more unless you raised sheep yourself. Before
then it was available in pockets here and there across the USA but not
a mainstay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:51:15 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Je_us wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:38:24 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> out >> > > your store.

>> some last >> > year and it was delicious.

>> lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian
>> lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size
>> chops.
>> >
>> > That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
>> > "American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
>> > posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That
>> > was back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only
>> > conclude it was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

>> You're such an idiot.
>> And you'll never, ever, realise just by how much.

>She's not an idiot,

Okay...

>just a case of never having lived outside the USA
>so has the thought patterns of one who has not lived abroad.

I haven't lived abroad either, but what sort of reasoning would
account for assuming all lamb from one (very large and diverse
country) would all be the same? That would be like if I assumed all
lamb raise in the U.S (or anywhere else) is the same (I went into this
further elsewhere in the thread). There's no such thing as 'Australian
lamb' in the way she thinks there is.

>'What she
>sees is how it is' and this is not questioned.

I do realise that's how she thinks, yes.

>American 'lamb' is normally hogget or mutton by definition elsewhere.
>The few times they get actual baby lamb, they dont knw what to do with
>t and in fact, most do not know what to do with hogget or mutton either.

I'd slow cook it and savor the beautiful flavour of it, be it lamb,
hogget or mutton I'm aware lamb isn't very common in the U.S but
I'll bet a wide variety is available if one looks for it, especially
since it is something of a specialty meat there.

I have three Dorper wethers destined to be eaten this year, they would
just fit the description of mutton at this stage. Incidentally,
Dorpers self-shed their fleece and taste a lot less 'gamey' (which is
really just the taste of lanolin that is evident in the wool). A lot
of people who think they don't like lamb might like Dorper lamb.

>Don't blame her or others like her. It was a meat prety much not
>available for 50 years or more unless you raised sheep yourself. Before
>then it was available in pockets here and there across the USA but not
>a mainstay.

I don't blame her for any of that, it's just the lack of reasoning
leading to blanket statements such as that one about 'Aus lamb'. All
one has to do is spend just a moment to think about it to realise it's
flawed logic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2015 9:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Je_us wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:38:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

>> out >> > > your store.

>> some last >> > year and it was delicious.

>> lamb. American lamb is larger and more 'muttony' than Australian
>> lamb. To me American lamb has more flavor and I like the larger size
>> chops.
>>>
>>> That is absolutely not true for any lamb I've ever eaten labeled
>>> "American". However, a few years ago someone (I think it was Marty)
>>> posted the regulations and we had zero parameters for lamb. That
>>> was back when Australian lamb tasted awful, so I could only
>>> conclude it was so they could import mutton and sell it as "lamb".

>> You're such an idiot.
>> And you'll never, ever, realise just by how much.

> She's not an idiot, just a case of never having lived outside the USA
> so has the thought patterns of one who has not lived abroad. 'What she
> sees is how it is' and this is not questioned.
>
> American 'lamb' is normally hogget or mutton by definition elsewhere.
> The few times they get actual baby lamb, they dont knw what to do with
> t and in fact, most do not know what to do with hogget or mutton either.
>
> Don't blame her or others like her. It was a meat prety much not
> available for 50 years or more unless you raised sheep yourself. Before
> then it was available in pockets here and there across the USA but not
> a mainstay.

I did not grow up eating lamb (or mutton) but please don't attempt to
speak for all in the US. I first tasted it in 1977. I fell in love
with it. IOW, I've been buying at eating lamb for a long time. I never
really noticed where it came from until sf mentioned it and I checked
the label on chops and shanks in the last year. Mostly it's Australian
and it tasted just fine to me. Not gamey. It's much more expensive now
than it used to be. But I'd say since 1977 is a long time for me to
have been cooking and eating lamb. I wasn't raised it but I do enjoy
it. It's very versatile. Lends itself to many methods of cooking
(depending on the cut, of course).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 5:07:32 PM UTC-7, Je�us wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:11:08 -0400, Susan > wrote:
>

> >On 4/11/2015 5:27 PM, Roy wrote:
> >> I doubt if ANYONE has ever tried to "pawn off" mutton as lamb.
> >>
> >> If she found that Australian lamb was "awful" then it was old or not
> >> handled properly.

> >Or she doesn't like the taste of lamb raised on that particular forage
> >in Oz. Costco Australian lamb is gamier/lambier than American lamb
> >from, say, Colorado. Must be what they're grazing on.

> This is the bit I don't get for some time with sf, or anyone else who
> thinks that way. There is no single 'lamb farm' in Australia,
> Australian lamb is raised on a wide range of climates and vegetation,
> so there is quite a wide variation in the finished product, depending
> on what region it originated from. And I can't see how all Aus lamb
> exported to the U.S can always be from the same place. So how can it
> all taste the same? That doesnt even account for the different breeds
> of sheep either...

Ah, but we're talking about one retailer who has one supplier, the
Australian Lamb Company Pty Ltd. Do they impose standards on their
ranchers? Are they perceived to be supplying a consistent product?

Lamb used to be a lot more common and reasonably priced. I used to make
a special lamb curry that was half kidneys -- just try to find lamb kidneys
in a supermarket meat counter today.