Old 20-03-2015, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT, sort of: Opening store produce bags

How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

TIA

Old 20-03-2015, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Mar 2015 18:26:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

TIA

Same way I get plastic trash bags, etc. open. Rub the offending stuck
together two layewrs back and forth slightly with my palms. Usually
fnds the separate sheets of plastic.

John Kuthe...

---

Old 20-03-2015, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2015 12:26 PM, KenK wrote:
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

Well you certainly own up to one of the more disgusting habits!

If you insist on wetting your fingers, a lot of the produce is sprayed
regularly with water.
Graham

Old 20-03-2015, 08:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 2:26:31 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

Well, yes. But you might try touching the produce first.
It's often damp enough to transfer just enough to your
fingers to open the bag.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 20-03-2015, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 2:26:31 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

Shop on a hot day and attack those bags with sweaty palms. Gee, usually I can part them with some rubbing of fingers.

I started a new habit - when I get out of the car, I toss a bottle of gel cleaner on my car seat - so no way can I plunk down in the car without grabbing the bottle and taking a shot of the stuff. I also wash my hands the second I enter the house, esp. before putting food away.

Old 20-03-2015, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 3:55:36 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:16:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 2:26:31 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

Well, yes. But you might try touching the produce first.
It's often damp enough to transfer just enough to your
fingers to open the bag.

Ewww! Don't be fondling my potential produce just so you can wet your
dirty fingers!

So, you don't wash your produce before you eat it?

Cindy Hamilton
Old 20-03-2015, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Mar 2015 18:26:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

Rub it between your fingers & thumb or rub between both hands.
Personally, if it doesn't open using thumb and fingers, I resort to
wetting them.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Old 20-03-2015, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
KenK wrote:
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

Well, yes. But you might try touching the produce first.
It's often damp enough to transfer just enough to your
fingers to open the bag.

Ewww! Don't be fondling my potential produce just so you can wet your
dirty fingers!

Normal people wash their produce when they get it home... who knows
how many filthy Austin tex mex ass wipe fingers touched it since it
was harvested in the field, dwarf?

Normal people wet their fingers on the piece of produce they are
buying, or they wait 10 seconds for the spritzers to spray their
fingers. With lots of produce sold by weight like leaf lettuce I make
sure to shake off the extra water, the clinging water can weigh more
than the lettuce. I always place the bags of produce in my cart open
end down so that they can drain while I continue shopping, and then
give them a good shake at the check out before they're weighed. The
markets are cheating shoppers by charging them like $1.89/lb for
clinging water.
Old 20-03-2015, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" wrote in message
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

TIA

I can't see what good wetting your fingertips would do? I would never do
that for any reason! I just shake the bag a bit and work it back and forth
between my fingers. If you really want wet fingers for whatever reason,
then wet them using the wet produce!

Old 20-03-2015, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On 20 Mar 2015 18:26:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this -
fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

I've never had a problem just rubbing my thumb and forefinger together
with the bag between them (unless I'm trying to open the wrong end of
the bag!). But I do see a lot of older women that probably use lotion
on their hands that have a hard time with it.

I suppose it matters what kind of bags your store uses - some are
thicker and clingier than others.

-sw

I am constantly trying to open the wrong end. In many cases the correct end
isn't obvious.

Old 21-03-2015, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
BBQ BBQ is offline

On 20 Mar 2015 18:26:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

TIA

that's why I always bring hand sanitizing gel with me. Put some and
you are ready to go!
--

http://GasGrills.biz | The Best Grills Website for the Serious Griller!

Old 21-03-2015, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 4:35:57 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
"KenK" wrote in message
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

TIA

I can't see what good wetting your fingertips would do? I would never do
that for any reason! I just shake the bag a bit and work it back and forth
between my fingers. If you really want wet fingers for whatever reason,
then wet them using the wet produce!

Sure, and contaminate the wet produce with what washes off your filthy hands...yuck. Then someone else picks up that wet produce and takes it home.
All produce should be well washed before storage and also before usage.
Old 21-03-2015, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 11:26:31 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:
How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

One thing I like about this relatively new chain, Sprouts, is that
the bags open quite easily. They are folded in threes on their roll.
Old 21-03-2015, 05:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:05:00 +0100, BBQ
wrote:

On 20 Mar 2015 18:26:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

TIA

that's why I always bring hand sanitizing gel with me. Put some and
you are ready to go!

That stuff doesn't feel clean to me. I'd rather have the alcohol
based wipes to use on my cart and consequently my hands.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Old 21-03-2015, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 20 Mar 2015 18:26:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
get dirty in stores.

I'm just an old worrywart?

TIA

that's why I always bring hand sanitizing gel with me. Put some and
you are ready to go!

That stuff doesn't feel clean to me. I'd rather have the alcohol
based wipes to use on my cart and consequently my hands.

I think we've found the ultimate First World Problem