Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best way to store fresh produce?

I sometimes go to the farmers' market and come home with tons of fresh
fruit and veg. Within days the kitchen counters (where I leave the
stuff that doesn't fit in the fridge) are abuzz in fruit flies. What
do people do? What's an elegant solution?

I've been told Tupperware makes containers that can help the fruit and
veg last a lot longer - but I always thought you had to leave the
produce on a shelf so it could breathe?

Supposedly Tupperware uses some kind of magical plastic that makes the
stuff last?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
> I sometimes go to the farmers' market and come home with tons of fresh
> fruit and veg. Within days the kitchen counters (where I leave the
> stuff that doesn't fit in the fridge) are abuzz in fruit flies. What
> do people do? What's an elegant solution?
>
> I've been told Tupperware makes containers that can help the fruit and
> veg last a lot longer - but I always thought you had to leave the
> produce on a shelf so it could breathe?
>
> Supposedly Tupperware uses some kind of magical plastic that makes the
> stuff last?

Actually it's a magical plastic that has made the owners of Tupperware
very rich by selling it for at least 4 times what it's worth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" > wrote

>I sometimes go to the farmers' market and come home with tons of fresh
> fruit and veg. Within days the kitchen counters (where I leave the
> stuff that doesn't fit in the fridge) are abuzz in fruit flies. What
> do people do? What's an elegant solution?

You need to wash the fruit the instant you get home. Wash off fruit
fly eggs that came with your produce. Sorry to gross you out.

To get rid of flies, and I am not the expert, just this is how I did,
I put a glass of wine on the counter. They seemed partial to white
wine. I would actually use a wine glass.

> I've been told Tupperware makes containers that can help the fruit and
> veg last a lot longer - but I always thought you had to leave the
> produce on a shelf so it could breathe?
>
> Supposedly Tupperware uses some kind of magical plastic that makes the
> stuff last?

I've never tried them, here's the link:

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/...y_co de=18002

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:25:11 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> To get rid of flies, and I am not the expert, just this is how I did,
>> I put a glass of wine on the counter. They seemed partial to white
>> wine. I would actually use a wine glass.

> Wouldn't a wine glass be a little too top-heavy for them to sip
> from?

Heh, they seem to do just fine. Seems they invite a few of
their friends in for a party, if I really have a fruit fly problem.
I haven't had a problem since I made it a priority to wash stuff
when I brought it home.

Though, I don't wash potatoes and the *worst* time I had was when
I had some rotten ones hiding in the cabinet. (shudder)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" >

>> To get rid of flies, and I am not the expert, just this is how I did,
>> I put a glass of wine on the counter. They seemed partial to white
>> wine. I would actually use a wine glass.

> While you chug the rest of the bottle I assume

What, I'm supposed to throw good soave down the drain??
Whatsamatta fa you?

>> I've never tried them, here's the link:
>>
>> http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/...em_detail?fv_i
>> tem_category_code=18002

> You've never tried Tupperware? I'll be damned.

Not the new, fruit/vegetable preserver ones, silly.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I sometimes go to the farmers' market and come home with tons of fresh
> fruit and veg. Within days the kitchen counters (where I leave the
> stuff that doesn't fit in the fridge) are abuzz in fruit flies. What
> do people do? What's an elegant solution?
>
> I've been told Tupperware makes containers that can help the fruit and
> veg last a lot longer - but I always thought you had to leave the
> produce on a shelf so it could breathe?
>
> Supposedly Tupperware uses some kind of magical plastic that makes the
> stuff last?

Stop buying so much that you can't fit into the refrigerator. That negates
whatever money you saved at the farmer's market. And, do a google search for
"composting" - the process by which gardeners turn vegetable scraps into a
nice soil additive. Do the exact opposite of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:45:58 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Though, I don't wash potatoes and the *worst* time I had was when
>> I had some rotten ones hiding in the cabinet. (shudder)

> Rotten potatoes don't smell like any other rotten produce. They
> smell like dead animal. I was looking for dead meat when I
> finally traced the smell tot he bag with potatoes.

Gawd, I didn't know where the flies were coming from, and
I didn't know that vague odor was some potatoes that got pushed
to the side out of sight in the cabinet. They were liquid. The smell
when I dragged them out. I get the chills just thinking about it.

> The only time I've ever had rotten potatoes was when WebVan
> delivered them do me, already rotten.

It happens.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I sometimes go to the farmers' market and come home with tons of fresh
> fruit and veg. Within days the kitchen counters (where I leave the
> stuff that doesn't fit in the fridge) are abuzz in fruit flies. What
> do people do? What's an elegant solution?
>
> I've been told Tupperware makes containers that can help the fruit and
> veg last a lot longer - but I always thought you had to leave the
> produce on a shelf so it could breathe?
>
> Supposedly Tupperware uses some kind of magical plastic that makes the
> stuff last?

The only good feature of the Tupperware containers is the ridged bottom.
Most refrigerator vegetable drawers already have those, but it's not enough.
There are plastic grids you can buy and place in the drawers. If one
vegetable goes bad and starts to ooze, the rest of the stuff in the drawer
won't be sitting in the liquid. Get the grids, forget the Tupperware.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:25:11 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > To get rid of flies, and I am not the expert, just this is how I did,
> > I put a glass of wine on the counter. They seemed partial to white
> > wine. I would actually use a wine glass.

> Wouldn't a wine glass be a little too top-heavy for them to sip
> from?
>
> -sw

Hey, this is the best trick to get rid of fruit flies- Take a tall jar
or glass with a narrow top. Put a piece of fruit in the bottom,
sprinkle w/ a little yeast to make it ferment faster. Cover the top w/
plastic wrap. Now, make a funnel (paper cone) about with a really
small hole at the bottom. Poke a tiny hole in your plastic wrap, and
insert the cone about 1/2 way down into the glass, being careful not to
rip the plastic- you don't want any gaps between the fumnnel and
plastic. You will have to mess w/ it to get it just right and balanced,
but when you do, put it near the little buggers- they can get in, but
can't figure out how to get out via that little hole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just saw these containers from Sharper Image. They are
supposed to keep your food fresher as the plastic is infused
with silver. Perhaps those are what the OP was referring to.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

There are quite a few types of prioduce that shouldn't be refrigerated b/c
they'll lose flavor, go bad or stop reipening. Others do keep better in the
fridge.

Here are some guidelines (but do Google for more reliable sources than my
memory):

Never refridgerate stuff from the nightshade family: tomatoes, eggplant,
bell peppers (ie capsicUm and all other peppers, potatoes
Also nothing from the squash family: melons, zucchini, cucumbers,
pumpkins/squash

Fine in the fridge: soft red fruits, carrots, most tubers that aren't
potatoes

No harm, but ripening will stop and will not restart after being taken out
of the fridge: bananas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jke" > wrote in message
> There are quite a few types of prioduce that shouldn't be refrigerated b/c
> they'll lose flavor, go bad or stop reipening. Others do keep better in
> the fridge.
>
> Here are some guidelines (but do Google for more reliable sources than my
> memory):
>
> Never refridgerate stuff from the nightshade family: tomatoes, eggplant,
> bell peppers (ie capsicUm and all other peppers, potatoes
> Also nothing from the squash family: melons, zucchini, cucumbers,
> pumpkins/squash
>
> Fine in the fridge: soft red fruits, carrots, most tubers that aren't
> potatoes
>
> No harm, but ripening will stop and will not restart after being taken out
> of the fridge: bananas

Most of this is WAY too much generalization to be useful. Much depends on
room temperature, and how ripe the stuff is to begin with. For instance,
bell peppers seem fine from the outside until suddenly, they're not and you
have a pile of mush on the counter. Zucchini and cucumbers behave NOTHING
like acorn squash and others with tough skins, in terms of their tendency to
rot quickly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> There are quite a few types of prioduce that shouldn't be refrigerated b/c
> they'll lose flavor, go bad or stop reipening. Others do keep better in the
> fridge.
>
> Here are some guidelines (but do Google for more reliable sources than my
> memory):
>
> Never refridgerate stuff from the nightshade family: tomatoes, eggplant,
> bell peppers (ie capsicUm and all other peppers, potatoes
> Also nothing from the squash family: melons, zucchini, cucumbers,
> pumpkins/squash

Not true. Your memory sucks. Only tomatoes should not be
refrigerated... all the other items you mention should be refrigerated
or some kept in a fairly cool dark place... certainly not at normal
room temperature... of all those items only tomatoes continue to ripen
off the plant. Some claim melons continue to ripen once picked but
actually they do not, instead they begin to ferment/rot, like harvested
pineapple does not ripen further, it ferments/rots too.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Jke" > wrote in message
> > There are quite a few types of prioduce that shouldn't be refrigerated b/c
> > they'll lose flavor, go bad or stop reipening. Others do keep better in
> > the fridge.
> >
> > Here are some guidelines (but do Google for more reliable sources than my
> > memory):
> >
> > Never refridgerate stuff from the nightshade family: tomatoes, eggplant,
> > bell peppers (ie capsicUm and all other peppers, potatoes
> > Also nothing from the squash family: melons, zucchini, cucumbers,
> > pumpkins/squash
> >
> > Fine in the fridge: soft red fruits, carrots, most tubers that aren't
> > potatoes
> >
> > No harm, but ripening will stop and will not restart after being taken out
> > of the fridge: bananas
> >

> Most of this is WAY too much generalization to be useful. Much depends on
> room temperature, and how ripe the stuff is to begin with. For instance,
> bell peppers seem fine from the outside until suddenly, they're not and you
> have a pile of mush on the counter. Zucchini and cucumbers behave NOTHING
> like acorn squash and others with tough skins, in terms of their tendency to
> rot quickly.

With some produce (cukes, winter squash) extended storage at normal
room temperatue depends a lot on whether they're wax coated... uncoated
those two need prompt refrigeration after harvest... unrefrigerated,
unwaxed, cukes will get slimy within about three days... winter squash
will become pocked with rotten spots, like skin cancer. I grow far
more winter squash than I can consume before they rot even with
refrigeration, and I don't even attempt to add a wax coating (which
only extends usefulness a few more days). Instead I give a lot to
neighbors (we trade crops), those I keep are still more than I can
consume before they rot so those I cook and freeze. Most of my cukes I
pickle by fermentation. Anyone who grows their own veggies, especially
cukes, do not wash and do rub off those cuke prickles until just prior
to consuming/pickling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> There are quite a few types of prioduce that shouldn't be refrigerated b/c
> they'll lose flavor, go bad or stop reipening. Others do keep better in the
> fridge.
>
> Here are some guidelines (but do Google for more reliable sources than my
> memory):
>
> Never refridgerate stuff from the nightshade family: tomatoes, eggplant,
> bell peppers (ie capsicUm and all other peppers, potatoes
> Also nothing from the squash family: melons, zucchini, cucumbers,
> pumpkins/squash
>
> Fine in the fridge: soft red fruits, carrots, most tubers that aren't
> potatoes
>
> No harm, but ripening will stop and will not restart after being taken out
> of the fridge: bananas

I always refrigerate my eggplants,squash and bell peppers.
I never put bananas in the fridge unless they're already too far gone
for eating out of hand and I'm just holding them a bit longer to bake with.
My window sill over the sink is home for the tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Jke wrote:
> > There are quite a few types of prioduce that shouldn't be refrigerated b/c
> > they'll lose flavor, go bad or stop reipening. Others do keep better in the
> > fridge.
> >
> > Here are some guidelines (but do Google for more reliable sources than my
> > memory):
> >
> > Never refridgerate stuff from the nightshade family: tomatoes, eggplant,
> > bell peppers (ie capsicUm and all other peppers, potatoes
> > Also nothing from the squash family: melons, zucchini, cucumbers,
> > pumpkins/squash
> >
> > Fine in the fridge: soft red fruits, carrots, most tubers that aren't
> > potatoes
> >
> > No harm, but ripening will stop and will not restart after being taken out
> > of the fridge: bananas
> >

> I always refrigerate my eggplants,squash and bell peppers.
> I never put bananas in the fridge unless they're already too far gone
> for eating out of hand and I'm just holding them a bit longer to bake with.
> My window sill over the sink is home for the tomatoes.

I suspect that with some produce, it depends on where you live. Here in
Denver, it's very dry. I've experimented over the years, starting with
the "standard" reccommendations. A few times I've even put on of the
same item in the fridge and one in the basket on the counter, both
about the same ripeness, and watched to see what happened. I've found
that tomtoes last much longer in the fridge, even though I know this is
not supposed to work. Cukes and peppers in the fridge too. I leave out
potatos, mangos, bananas, apples and papayas. Peaches, pears and
nectarines I leave out if I want them to ripen, put in the fridge if I
don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
I've found
> that tomtoes last much longer in the fridge, even though I know this is
> not supposed to work. Cukes and peppers in the fridge too. I leave out
> potatos, mangos, bananas, apples and papayas. Peaches, pears and
> nectarines I leave out if I want them to ripen, put in the fridge if I
> don't.

I'm with you on everything BUT the tomatoes. While they may "last"..your
refrigerated tomato has lasted but is now (IMO) a vastly inferior fruit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"salgud" > wrote:

> I've found
> that tomtoes last much longer in the fridge, even though I know this is
> not supposed to work.

I concur...
Tomatoes last a LOT longer if refrigerated.

I'm told it kills their flavor but I've not noted a significant
difference as long as I allow them to come to room temp before consuming
them raw.

Grocery store tomatoes don't have a lot of flavor anyway.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If someone could figure out why zucchini last forever
(until they actually catch a bug somehow and then they
deflate in minutes) and transfer that to the rest
of the veggies in the produce section...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
.. .

> If someone could figure out why zucchini last forever
> (until they actually catch a bug somehow and then they
> deflate in minutes) and transfer that to the rest
> of the veggies in the produce section...
>
> --Blair

It's because zucchini are boring & tasteless. Even bacteria aren't
interested in them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:
>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
. ..

>> If someone could figure out why zucchini last forever
>> (until they actually catch a bug somehow and then they
>> deflate in minutes) and transfer that to the rest
>> of the veggies in the produce section...

>It's because zucchini are boring & tasteless.

So are chicken breasts, but throw a little curry
an onions on them...

>Even bacteria aren't
>interested in them.

Did you know that the average yogurt has 5 kinds
of beneficial bacteria in it?

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
m...
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:
>>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> If someone could figure out why zucchini last forever
>>> (until they actually catch a bug somehow and then they
>>> deflate in minutes) and transfer that to the rest
>>> of the veggies in the produce section...

>>It's because zucchini are boring & tasteless.

> So are chicken breasts, but throw a little curry
> an onions on them...

OK, but I'm not aware of any bacteria that know how to bread & deep fry
zucchini. Yet. :-)

>>Even bacteria aren't
>>interested in them.

> Did you know that the average yogurt has 5 kinds
> of beneficial bacteria in it?
>
> --Blair

Absolutely! Why, just last week, a tiny voice from my yogurt container asked
"Mind if we hop out of here and clean up your vegetable drawer?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> I always refrigerate my eggplants,squash and bell peppers.
> I never put bananas in the fridge unless they're already too far gone for
> eating out of hand and I'm just holding them a bit longer to bake with.
> My window sill over the sink is home for the tomatoes.

Hey, if it works for you, fgreat

I use the guidelines I posted and they work for me (in a moderate climate
often with a high humidity). Sometimes it is hard to tell whether a
different method would work better, anyway. So far, nothing better has come
along. So I stick to those guidelines simply because they work well enough.
If I were to find something better by chance, I'd adopt that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> Most of this is WAY too much generalization to be useful. Much depends on
> room temperature, and how ripe the stuff is to begin with. For instance,
> bell peppers seem fine from the outside until suddenly, they're not and
> you have a pile of mush on the counter. Zucchini and cucumbers behave
> NOTHING like acorn squash and others with tough skins, in terms of their
> tendency to rot quickly.

I can only go by my experience in my location, and by what I've read from
produce wholesalers/vendors and culinary journalists and cookbooks. Those
(the ones I've read) are usually catered towards the Dutch or similar
climates.

Things might work differently in other places in the world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "salgud" > wrote:
>
> > I've found
> > that tomtoes last much longer in the fridge, even though I know this is
> > not supposed to work.

> I concur...
> Tomatoes last a LOT longer if refrigerated.
>
> I'm told it kills their flavor but I've not noted a significant
> difference as long as I allow them to come to room temp before consuming
> them raw.
>
> Grocery store tomatoes don't have a lot of flavor anyway.
> --
> Peace!
> Om

I agree on both counts.

> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> > I always refrigerate my eggplants,squash and bell peppers.
> > I never put bananas in the fridge unless they're already too far gone for
> > eating out of hand and I'm just holding them a bit longer to bake with.
> > My window sill over the sink is home for the tomatoes.

> Hey, if it works for you, fgreat
>
> I use the guidelines I posted and they work for me (in a moderate climate
> often with a high humidity). Sometimes it is hard to tell whether a
> different method would work better, anyway. So far, nothing better has come

Why is it "hard to tell if a different method would work better,
anyway?" I think that if a different method works better, it should be
easy to tell--Try the two methods and see if there is a difference.

> along. So I stick to those guidelines simply because they work well enough.
> If I were to find something better by chance, I'd adopt that.

If you stick to the guidelines that work well enough, you wont ever
find something better by chance.

-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-bwg" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jke wrote:
>> > I always refrigerate my eggplants,squash and bell peppers.
>> > I never put bananas in the fridge unless they're already too far gone
>> > for
>> > eating out of hand and I'm just holding them a bit longer to bake with.
>> > My window sill over the sink is home for the tomatoes.

>> Hey, if it works for you, fgreat
>>
>> I use the guidelines I posted and they work for me (in a moderate climate
>> often with a high humidity). Sometimes it is hard to tell whether a
>> different method would work better, anyway. So far, nothing better has
>> come

> Why is it "hard to tell if a different method would work better,
> anyway?" I think that if a different method works better, it should be
> easy to tell--Try the two methods and see if there is a difference.

Experimentation is apparently discouraged in some families. The crippling
condition is passed on from one generation to the next.