Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soft chalupa

On 2015-01-20 5:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 06:43:26 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm not playing a game here. I asked what I thought would be a simple
>> question. Apparently it wasn't. I have said repeatedly here that I will
>> not take pics of my food. Frankly I think that is a really silly thing to
>> do. I know that some people are into that. I'm not. I'm not into pics of
>> anything and I rarely ever take any of anything.

> Then you're left with the pictures on Yelp and Google images. Do some
> footwork. If there was an easy answer you wouldn't need to ask here.

oh jesus... move on. You know she is a retard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 5:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 06:41:45 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Because I asked him (the owner) what the soft one was. He said it was just
>> a flour tortilla. Not fried. Picture this. Big flour tortilla. Beans
>> inside. Also lettuce and tomato. Normally there would be other stuff too
>> but I have that left out. I do think the tortillas are key here. His dad
>> makes them and they are vastly superior to anything I can buy. But they are
>> heated somehow and I don't think it is in the oven.

> We can't figure it out how for you. You have to do it all by
> yourself.

oh jesus, move on. You know she is a retard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I think of it as vulcanizing. I have never had any luck with baked goods
> of any type being nuked without ruining the texture. They can be heated
> in the oven or in a toaster oven. I would rather have things old and
> stale than nuked.

OTOH, today's flour tortillas are so screwed up, nuking hardly effects
them. Yes, real flour tortillas have almost zip for ingredients:
flour, lard, salt, water. But, look at the f/t's on the shelf. "No
trans fats" is the claim of almost every commercial maker. How does
one get non trans fats from lard. You don't. They use corn oil or
canola oil or hydrogenated cottenseed/palm oil, etc.

Not only do flour tortillas nuke with few negative effects, but those
pre-fab tostada shell thingies do, too. Smear some refritos n' cheese
on 'em, nuke 'em, then add lettuce/onions/cilantro, etc. I will not
nuke baked goods, but tortillas are OK.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 5:17 PM, sf wrote:

>> His dad makes them but at his own restaurant. The griddle very well might
>> be the difference. I have tried using a skillet.

> Oh, good grief! There is no difference whatsoever in outcome between
> the two and neither will give you what you're supposedly asking for.

Oh good grief. Move on. You know she is a retard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2015-01-20, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> I think of it as vulcanizing. I have never had any luck with baked goods
>> of any type being nuked without ruining the texture. They can be heated
>> in the oven or in a toaster oven. I would rather have things old and
>> stale than nuked.

> OTOH, today's flour tortillas are so screwed up, nuking hardly effects
> them. Yes, real flour tortillas have almost zip for ingredients:
> flour, lard, salt, water. But, look at the f/t's on the shelf. "No
> trans fats" is the claim of almost every commercial maker. How does
> one get non trans fats from lard. You don't. They use corn oil or
> canola oil or hydrogenated cottenseed/palm oil, etc.
>
> Not only do flour tortillas nuke with few negative effects, but those
> pre-fab tostada shell thingies do, too. Smear some refritos n' cheese
> on 'em, nuke 'em, then add lettuce/onions/cilantro, etc. I will not
> nuke baked goods, but tortillas are OK.
>
> nb

Some purchased tortillas are just vile. I don't care for the Mission ones
and I bought some cheap ones at Winco that were even worse. Just look at
all the crap in the mission.

http://www.missionmenus.com/en/produ...soft-taco-10ct

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 8:09 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-01-20 8:45 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> Nothing like a rousing game of "Why don't you - Yes, but" to liven up
>> the newsgroup :-)
>>
>> (I actually downloaded the text of the book "The Games People Play".
>> I've only read a bit of it so far, but it's interesting.)

> I forget who it was that had the brilliant idea of replying with "That
> is too bad. What are you going to do about it?".

Moe did, IIRC.

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 5:18 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:48:15 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/20/2015 1:42 PM, Janet B wrote:

>>> It's really simple. There are cloth tortilla warmers you put in the
>>> MC. The tortillas come out hot, soft.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Great solution! :-D
>>

> Which is not a chalupa.

I have no clue what she's calling a "chalupa". She won't provide
pictures (or links of pictures someone elese took that are anything
close to what she claims) so who knows? It's some obscure restaurant in
the Bothell area. How about she just keeps eating them at the
restaurant instead of trying to get us to guess?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 5:18 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:42:57 -0700, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:53:05 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Ever heard of steaming? That's about the only option left for heating
>>> flour tortillas if they are not fried and they aren't heated in an oven.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It's really simple. There are cloth tortilla warmers you put in the
>> MC. The tortillas come out hot, soft.
>> Janet US

> Except you'd end up with a soft taco, not a chalupa.

Who knows what exactly she's talking about? Even she can't describe it
to the point where we have any idea. Apparently they only exist as a
chalupa at one particular place somewhere in Washington.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:18:42 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:48:15 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>> On 1/20/2015 1:42 PM, Janet B wrote:

>> > It's really simple. There are cloth tortilla warmers you put in the
>> > MC. The tortillas come out hot, soft.
>> > Janet US
>> >

>> Great solution! :-D
>>

>Which is not a chalupa.

I know that, you know that, everyone here knows that. However, she is
insisting that it is a flour tortilla.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 7:07 PM, Sky wrote:
> On 1/20/2015 8:09 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2015-01-20 8:45 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing like a rousing game of "Why don't you - Yes, but" to liven up
>>> the newsgroup :-)
>>>
>>> (I actually downloaded the text of the book "The Games People Play".
>>> I've only read a bit of it so far, but it's interesting.)

>> I forget who it was that had the brilliant idea of replying with "That
>> is too bad. What are you going to do about it?".

> Moe did, IIRC.

Then good for him. He gets credit for giving her the opportunity to
solve her problem without rejecting the good advice that people offer
with the best of intentions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 7:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Which is not a chalupa.
>>

> I have no clue what she's calling a "chalupa". She won't provide
> pictures (or links of pictures someone elese took that are anything
> close to what she claims) so who knows? It's some obscure restaurant in
> the Bothell area. How about she just keeps eating them at the
> restaurant instead of trying to get us to guess?

I guess you are just going to have to move on. You know she is retarded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:23:07 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/20/2015 5:18 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:42:57 -0700, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:53:05 -0500, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:

snip

>>> It's really simple. There are cloth tortilla warmers you put in the
>>> MC. The tortillas come out hot, soft.
>>> Janet US

>> Except you'd end up with a soft taco, not a chalupa.
>>

>Who knows what exactly she's talking about? Even she can't describe it
>to the point where we have any idea. Apparently they only exist as a
>chalupa at one particular place somewhere in Washington.
>
>Jill

My opinion is that the proprietor has used a flour tortilla as a cheap
and labor saving method of producing what they call a chalupa. After
all, starting with masa and then doing a double cooking with shaping
and filling in between does use labor with not very much return.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 5:50 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:39:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of
>>> what I
>>> am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep
>>> finding
>>> Taco Bell stuff.

>> Take a picture of it with your phone.
>>

> Don't be ridiculous, sf! We're supposed to guess what she's talking
> about.
>
> Jill

Why?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2015-01-20 5:17 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> His dad makes them but at his own restaurant. The griddle very well
>>> might
>>> be the difference. I have tried using a skillet.

>> Oh, good grief! There is no difference whatsoever in outcome between
>> the two and neither will give you what you're supposedly asking for.
>>

> Oh good grief. Move on. You know she is a retard.

It's a good thing she came back, since fortunately for some... this thread
will go on forever.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 7:35 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:18:42 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:48:15 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Great solution! :-D
>>>

>> Which is not a chalupa.

> I know that, you know that, everyone here knows that. However, she is
> insisting that it is a flour tortilla.
> Janet US

She's also insisting it is a chalupa (whatever that may mean in her
lexicon) made with *warmed* flour tortillas. She rejects every possible
method or suggestion for warming them so I'd guess she's just SOL. To
the people who say we don't try to help... we really do. It's simply
impossible.

And no, Dave, we don't need you to tell us what you think about it anymore.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 5:18 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:48:15 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Great solution! :-D
>>>

>> Which is not a chalupa.
>>

> I have no clue what she's calling a "chalupa". She won't provide pictures
> (or links of pictures someone elese took that are anything close to what
> she claims) so who knows? It's some obscure restaurant in the Bothell
> area. How about she just keeps eating them at the restaurant instead of
> trying to get us to guess?

I assumed that a chalupa was a chalupa. When you order a chalupa in any
Mexican place here except for Taco Bell, what you get is a large, flour
tortilla, folded in half and deep dried, filled with what you'd put in a
taco, plus sometimes guacamole and sour cream. This is similar but it is
not deep dried. I can't even find pics of a standard (for here) fried
chalupa.

I am not at the restaurant now and don't know when I will go there again. I
am not into taking pics of food or anything else.

I asked what I thought was a simple question but apparently not, since the
term "chalupa" seems to mean a wide variety of things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:47:32 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-01-20 4:28 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> I certainly NEVER nuke any bread product, regardless of damp paper towels, or other quirky
>> "tricks," nuking always makes the bread tough. The same would apply to tortillas.
>>

>I think of it as vulcanizing. I have never had any luck with baked goods
>of any type being nuked without ruining the texture. They can be heated
>in the oven or in a toaster oven. I would rather have things old and
>stale than nuked.

these warmers replicate putting them in the oven wrapped in foil. I
like mine, I just wish I had the 12-inch instead of the 10
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 5:18 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:42:57 -0700, Janet B >
>> wrote:

>>> It's really simple. There are cloth tortilla warmers you put in the
>>> MC. The tortillas come out hot, soft.
>>> Janet US

>> Except you'd end up with a soft taco, not a chalupa.
>>

> Who knows what exactly she's talking about? Even she can't describe it to
> the point where we have any idea. Apparently they only exist as a chalupa
> at one particular place somewhere in Washington.

I don't think I could describe it any better. A large flour tortilla,
folded in half and heated in some sort of what to where it remains soft but
not steamed. Filled with what you'd put in a taco. I tried to heat it in a
skillet and it was close but no cigar. I do think though that perhaps it
has to do more with the qualities of the tortilla than anything else. I am
using a different brand of tortilla only because I am not going to drive all
the way out to Lake Steven's to his dad's restaurant to get some tortillas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:23:07 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 1/20/2015 5:18 PM, sf wrote:

> snip

>>> Except you'd end up with a soft taco, not a chalupa.
>>>

>>Who knows what exactly she's talking about? Even she can't describe it
>>to the point where we have any idea. Apparently they only exist as a
>>chalupa at one particular place somewhere in Washington.
>>
>>Jill

> My opinion is that the proprietor has used a flour tortilla as a cheap
> and labor saving method of producing what they call a chalupa. After
> all, starting with masa and then doing a double cooking with shaping
> and filling in between does use labor with not very much return.
> Janet US

What they call a chalupa here in WA, is a large flour tortilla, folded in
half. Every restaurant you order this at will serve you this except for
Taco Bell. If you want to call Taco Bell a restaurant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 8:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I don't think I could describe it any better. A large flour tortilla,
> folded in half and heated in some sort of what to where it remains soft
> but not steamed. Filled with what you'd put in a taco. I tried to heat
> it in a skillet and it was close but no cigar. I do think though that
> perhaps it has to do more with the qualities of the tortilla than
> anything else. I am using a different brand of tortilla only because I
> am not going to drive all the way out to Lake Steven's to his dad's
> restaurant to get some tortillas.

Took long enough to say so. So you know where/what kind of tortillas
his dad uses? Does he make them from scratch? He's the guy you need to
be asking. You already knew that.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 7:35 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:18:42 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>> Which is not a chalupa.

>> I know that, you know that, everyone here knows that. However, she is
>> insisting that it is a flour tortilla.
>> Janet US
>>

> She's also insisting it is a chalupa (whatever that may mean in her
> lexicon) made with *warmed* flour tortillas. She rejects every possible
> method or suggestion for warming them so I'd guess she's just SOL. To the
> people who say we don't try to help... we really do. It's simply
> impossible.
>
> And no, Dave, we don't need you to tell us what you think about it
> anymore.

I am not rejecting them all and I do know how to warm tortillas. But I can
tell that these are not steamed and probably not oven baked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 1/20/2015 5:50 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:39:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Take a picture of it with your phone.
>>>

>> Don't be ridiculous, sf! We're supposed to guess what she's talking
>> about.
>>
>> Jill

> Why?

I am sorry that I even asked. Apparently this delicacy is only available at
Ixtapa in Lynnwood. Go Alfredo! More for meeeeeee!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Oh, good grief! There is no difference whatsoever in outcome between
>>> the two and neither will give you what you're supposedly asking for.
>>>

>> Oh good grief. Move on. You know she is a retard.

> It's a good thing she came back, since fortunately for some... this thread
> will go on forever.

It would seem so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 9:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Here I did find an actual picture of a chalupa like you can get here but
> you will have to scroll down to see it. Note that this is *not* the
> restaurant that we dine at. We have eaten there a few times but not in
> recent years. Scroll down to "Combinations". The chalupa is pictured on
> a red/brown plate with beans, rice, and enchilada, a tomato slice and
> some fried thing. Not sure what the fried thing is.
>
> http://www.viva-jalisco.com/pages/menu.htm

Oh my. I realize this isn't the same restaurant but if it's indicative
of the type of place... well hey, that's Tex-Mex extraordinaire.

Yeah, I see what they're calling a chalupa. Sure looks like the flour
tortilla was lightly fried in that picture. So sorry you're having such
problems figuring it out.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 7:45 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 1/20/2015 5:50 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:39:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Take a picture of it with your phone.
>>>

>> Don't be ridiculous, sf! We're supposed to guess what she's talking
>> about.
>>
>> Jill

> Why?
>
> Cheri

Why champion? She ask for opinions and when she gets them rejects every
possible suggestion or option. Some people actually do try to help, you
know.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 8:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I don't think I could describe it any better. A large flour tortilla,
>> folded in half and heated in some sort of what to where it remains soft
>> but not steamed. Filled with what you'd put in a taco. I tried to heat
>> it in a skillet and it was close but no cigar. I do think though that
>> perhaps it has to do more with the qualities of the tortilla than
>> anything else. I am using a different brand of tortilla only because I
>> am not going to drive all the way out to Lake Steven's to his dad's
>> restaurant to get some tortillas.

> Took long enough to say so. So you know where/what kind of tortillas his
> dad uses? Does he make them from scratch? He's the guy you need to be
> asking. You already knew that.

I did describe it prior. His dad makes the tortillas from scratch. Yes.
He buys the corn ones from a place in Everett that also makes them from
scratch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 9:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Here I did find an actual picture of a chalupa like you can get here but
>> you will have to scroll down to see it. Note that this is *not* the
>> restaurant that we dine at. We have eaten there a few times but not in
>> recent years. Scroll down to "Combinations". The chalupa is pictured on
>> a red/brown plate with beans, rice, and enchilada, a tomato slice and
>> some fried thing. Not sure what the fried thing is.
>>
>> http://www.viva-jalisco.com/pages/menu.htm

> Oh my. I realize this isn't the same restaurant but if it's indicative of
> the type of place... well hey, that's Tex-Mex extraordinaire.

No. It is not the type of place that we eat at and in fact we don't like
that place. I realize that a lot of people do but it's not my style.

> Yeah, I see what they're calling a chalupa. Sure looks like the flour
> tortilla was lightly fried in that picture. So sorry you're having such
> problems figuring it out.

Yes. That is the fried one. That is not what I want. What I want is a
soft one and a search turned up no recipes whatever, nor did asking here.
Guess I will just have to ask Alfredo what he does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 11:28:07 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:
> On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:31:56 PM UTC-7, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:50:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > >

> > What this NG needs right now is a rusty nail.
> >
> > --Bryan

> Here you go Bryan...fresh from a quick Internet search.
>

> Rusty Nail
>
> 1 1/2 oz Scotch whisky
> 1/2 oz Drambuie
> 1 twist lemon peel
>
> Pour the scotch and drambuie into an old-fashioned glass almost filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with the lemon twist.
>
> Julie could use one of those after eating all that Mexican food no doubt.
> ============

The last time I drank scotch was when I was 13. I got *SO* sick. I
haven't touched any whisky since I was a teenager. I don't like Drambuie
either.

Alcohol and I are in the process of becoming merely casual friends, if that.
I'm on day eleven of the Sinclair Method, and am averaging slightly over three
drinks a day, with three of those days being abstinent. I am committed to
never again drinking a bad tasting beverage just for the alcohol.

All of the regulars here know that I have been drinking too much for well over
half my life. I've never hidden my heavy alcohol use from anyone, and I've
seen alcohol use as a mixed bag. I don't deny the positives, nor the negatives,
but the negatives became prominent, and it was time to cut the rope. Sinclair
is a rational treatment for alcohol use disorder (AUD).

Those who label all alcohol use disorders as "alcoholism" are off base, and the
standard treatments for AUDs have a dismal record for treating AUDs, whereas
extinction therapy with opiate antagonists have proven to be remarkable, even
for those AUDs that have progressed to alcoholism, and outright astounding for
those whose dependency didn't involve some of the nastier characteristics
commonly associated with *alcoholism*.

Naltrexone breaks the connection between alcohol and stimulation of opiate
receptors, and the cravings are unlearned on a neurological level. The brain
is re-wired over time to associate alcohol with mere sedation, rather than
thrill. There's no moral judgement, no higher power beliefs required, just a
desire to reduce alcohol use to a healthful level, which for many means none
at all.

The regimen is simple. "One Little Pill" taken one hour before consuming
alcohol. One decides to drink, and takes the pill then drinks, or one decides
not to drink that day, and does not take the pill. Either choice is a step
forward because either choice puts a day of non-opiate receptor stimulation by
ethanol between the patient and his/her past dependency.

--Bryan
"Drink with care, and try Sinclair."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>Here I did find an actual picture of a chalupa like you can get here but you
>will have to scroll down to see it. Note that this is *not* the restaurant
>that we dine at.

Um, eating chalupas is in no way "dining", it's slumming... you've
proven it's slumming... you can't even recall how to replicate the
ghetto shit you ate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 20:01, jmcquown wrote:

> She's also insisting it is a chalupa (whatever that may mean in her
> lexicon) made with *warmed* flour tortillas. She rejects every possible
> method or suggestion for warming them so I'd guess she's just SOL. To
> the people who say we don't try to help... we really do. It's simply
> impossible.
>
> And no, Dave, we don't need you to tell us what you think about it anymore.

Perhaps not, but you seem to have a need to reply to her even though you
know that she will reject ever suggestion, which is one of the attention
seeking behaviours I pointed out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 21:17, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/20/2015 9:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Here I did find an actual picture of a chalupa like you can get here but
>> you will have to scroll down to see it. Note that this is *not* the
>> restaurant that we dine at. We have eaten there a few times but not in
>> recent years. Scroll down to "Combinations". The chalupa is pictured on
>> a red/brown plate with beans, rice, and enchilada, a tomato slice and
>> some fried thing. Not sure what the fried thing is.
>>
>> http://www.viva-jalisco.com/pages/menu.htm

> Oh my. I realize this isn't the same restaurant but if it's indicative
> of the type of place... well hey, that's Tex-Mex extraordinaire.
>
> Yeah, I see what they're calling a chalupa. Sure looks like the flour
> tortilla was lightly fried in that picture. So sorry you're having such
> problems figuring it out.

You are having a hard time making that clear to Julie. What do you think
you can do about it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>It is not the type of place that we eat at and in fact we don't like
>that place. I realize that a lot of people do but it's not my style.

You have no style, you schlub.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 21:21, jmcquown wrote:

>> Cheri

> Why champion? She ask for opinions and when she gets them rejects every
> possible suggestion or option. Some people actually do try to help, you
> know.

You seem to be having a problem with Julie doing that? What do you think
you can do about it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>Here I did find an actual picture of a chalupa like you can get here but
>>you
>>will have to scroll down to see it. Note that this is *not* the
>>restaurant
>>that we dine at.

> Um, eating chalupas is in no way "dining", it's slumming... you've
> proven it's slumming... you can't even recall how to replicate the
> ghetto shit you ate.

It's not that I can't recall how to do it. I haven't seen it being made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 7:45 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Don't be ridiculous, sf! We're supposed to guess what she's talking
>>> about.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Why?
>>
>> Cheri

> Why champion? She ask for opinions and when she gets them rejects every
> possible suggestion or option. Some people actually do try to help, you
> know.

I asked for opinions? Where did I do that? I asked if anyone had ever made
a soft chalupa. Apparently not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:02:07 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>>
>>>Here I did find an actual picture of a chalupa like you can get here but
>>>you
>>>will have to scroll down to see it. Note that this is *not* the
>>>restaurant
>>>that we dine at.

>> Um, eating chalupas is in no way "dining", it's slumming... you've
>> proven it's slumming... you can't even recall how to replicate the
>> ghetto shit you ate.

>It's not that I can't recall how to do it. I haven't seen it being made.

Anyone who claims to know how to cook should not only be able to
replicate a dish they've eaten, they should be able to make it
better... you're obviously no kind of cook. So far the only cooking
you've imparted here is boasting that you can open canned beans...
Bove is definitely a kitchen fraud.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 9:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 1/20/2015 9:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Here I did find an actual picture of a chalupa like you can get here but
>>> you will have to scroll down to see it. Note that this is *not* the
>>> restaurant that we dine at. We have eaten there a few times but not in
>>> recent years. Scroll down to "Combinations". The chalupa is pictured on
>>> a red/brown plate with beans, rice, and enchilada, a tomato slice and
>>> some fried thing. Not sure what the fried thing is.
>>>
>>> http://www.viva-jalisco.com/pages/menu.htm

>> Oh my. I realize this isn't the same restaurant but if it's
>> indicative of the type of place... well hey, that's Tex-Mex
>> extraordinaire.

> No. It is not the type of place that we eat at and in fact we don't
> like that place. I realize that a lot of people do but it's not my style.
>>
>> Yeah, I see what they're calling a chalupa. Sure looks like the flour
>> tortilla was lightly fried in that picture. So sorry you're having
>> such problems figuring it out.

> Yes. That is the fried one. That is not what I want. What I want is a
> soft one and a search turned up no recipes whatever, nor did asking
> here. Guess I will just have to ask Alfredo what he does.

I know yours did not contain pork. Forget about the pork. Does it look
*anything* like the soft flour tortilla with beans, lettuce and tomato
in the picture in this link?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pork-Chalupas/

Seems like the hot ingredients are what warm up the flour tortillas. No
special heating method required. And yes, you probably want to stop
buying crappy flour tortillas.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 9:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-01-20 20:01, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> And no, Dave, we don't need you to tell us what you think about it
>> anymore.
>>

> Perhaps not, but you seem to have a need to reply to her even though you
> know that she will reject ever suggestion, which is one of the attention
> seeking behaviours I pointed out.

You seem to think we aren't aware of posts we're replying to. Sorry, I
didn't just have a stroke. I am completely cognizant of my actions. Do
try to restrain yourself.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 22:22, jmcquown wrote:

>> Perhaps not, but you seem to have a need to reply to her even though you
>> know that she will reject ever suggestion, which is one of the attention
>> seeking behaviours I pointed out.
>>

> You seem to think we aren't aware of posts we're replying to. Sorry, I
> didn't just have a stroke. I am completely cognizant of my actions. Do
> try to restrain yourself.

That's a relief. I was beginning to wonder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:39:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>What they call a chalupa here in WA, is a large flour tortilla, folded in
>half. Every restaurant you order this at will serve you this except for
>Taco Bell. If you want to call Taco Bell a restaurant.

Where I live, there are no Mexican restaurants at all. So the concept
of "chalupa" is completely foreign to me.

Doris