Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soft chalupa

This is actually a menu option at one of my favorite Mexican places. I
don't really care for the deep fried ones as they are so greasy but these
are divine.

The problem? Mine are not nearly as good at home. Pretty sure the cause is
the tortillas. He gets them from his dad who makes them fresh. I have been
buying Surita which are good but not as good as his. And I don't want
to try buying them from him as they won't be as fresh.

I did try the Tortillaland fresh ones prior. They were fine but I don't
remember them being superior or anything. *sigh*

I might also be doing something wrong with my cooking/heating method.
Twice, it appeared to be sort of dry fried. Then once when he (the owner)
seemed to be the only one working and busier than usual, it wasn't quite as
good. The tortilla was soft.

I get mine with beans only. No meat. So in a nutshell it is just the
tortilla, beans, lettuce and tomato. Which is really about the same thing I
was making at home to begin with except that I was nuking the tortilla.

Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask Alfredo. And
I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:50:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

What this NG needs right now is a rusty nail.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:31:56 PM UTC-7, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:50:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> What this NG needs right now is a rusty nail.
>
> --Bryan

Here you go Bryan...fresh from a quick Internet search.

Rusty Nail

1 1/2 oz Scotch whisky
1/2 oz Drambuie
1 twist lemon peel

Pour the scotch and drambuie into an old-fashioned glass almost filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with the lemon twist.

Julie could use one of those after eating all that Mexican food no doubt.
============

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:49:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask Alfredo. And
> I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

Don't ask me, I haven't eaten a gordita yet. I know they are sold
here now because they finally made it on the menu of the neighborhood
Mexican restaurant we eat at most, but I didn't order it.

Google Image "chalupa recipe" and I'm sure you'll find a website that
works for you. Swagbucks obviously can't help you with that.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 16:31:53 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:50:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> What this NG needs right now is a rusty nail.

It was a legitimate question, but someone who is a limited cook
wouldn't know that.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2015 1:40 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:49:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask Alfredo. And
>> I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

> Don't ask me, I haven't eaten a gordita yet. I know they are sold
> here now because they finally made it on the menu of the neighborhood
> Mexican restaurant we eat at most, but I didn't order it.
>
> Google Image "chalupa recipe" and I'm sure you'll find a website that
> works for you. Swagbucks obviously can't help you with that.

My guess would be that your problem is nuking the tortilla. They get
like cardboard if you aren't very careful. Either microwave them with
the filling on top, or wrap them with damp paper towels before putting
into the microwave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:50:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

*snip for sanity

Maybe you can get them included in your potato delivery service.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This is actually a menu option at one of my favorite Mexican places.
> I don't really care for the deep fried ones as they are so greasy but
> these are divine.
>
> The problem? Mine are not nearly as good at home. Pretty sure the
> cause is the tortillas. He gets them from his dad who makes them
> fresh. I have been buying Surita which are good but not as good as
> his. And I don't want to try buying them from him as they won't
> be as fresh.
>
> I did try the Tortillaland fresh ones prior. They were fine but I
> don't remember them being superior or anything. sigh
>
> I might also be doing something wrong with my cooking/heating method.
> Twice, it appeared to be sort of dry fried. Then once when he (the
> owner) seemed to be the only one working and busier than usual, it
> wasn't quite as good. The tortilla was soft.
>
> I get mine with beans only. No meat. So in a nutshell it is just
> the tortilla, beans, lettuce and tomato. Which is really about the
> same thing I was making at home to begin with except that I was
> nuking the tortilla.
>
> Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask
> Alfredo. And I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

Julie,

It's not done in the microwave. Instead, you heat a cast iron
(preferred) pan and drop the tortilla in there for about 30 seconds,
then flip then fix.

You can't use a microwave for this one.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:49:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask Alfredo.
> >> And
> >> I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

> > Don't ask me, I haven't eaten a gordita yet. I know they are sold
> > here now because they finally made it on the menu of the neighborhood
> > Mexican restaurant we eat at most, but I didn't order it.
> >
> > Google Image "chalupa recipe" and I'm sure you'll find a website that
> > works for you. Swagbucks obviously can't help you with that.

> And yet it didn't. Chalupas? Yes. Even things that appear to be nachos
> and tostadas but are called chalupas. But no soft chalupas.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...9161900AAt5akf

http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/ta...-copycat-81138
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 3:50:02 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:

> This is actually a menu option at one of my favorite Mexican places. I
> don't really care for the deep fried ones as they are so greasy but these
> are divine.

> Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask Alfredo. And
> I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

As we should all know by now, chalupa is the Czech word for "cottage." (Also
Polish and Ukrainian) And, unless you are making something like a tent,
there is no way to make a soft cottage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 1:16:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> As we should all know by now, chalupa is the Czech word for "cottage." (Also
> Polish and Ukrainian)

But Ju-Ju is asking about a Mexican dish. Chalupa in Spanish means (open) boat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 00:57:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:49:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask Alfredo.
> >> And
> >> I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

> > Don't ask me, I haven't eaten a gordita yet. I know they are sold
> > here now because they finally made it on the menu of the neighborhood
> > Mexican restaurant we eat at most, but I didn't order it.
> >
> > Google Image "chalupa recipe" and I'm sure you'll find a website that
> > works for you. Swagbucks obviously can't help you with that.

> And yet it didn't. Chalupas? Yes. Even things that appear to be nachos
> and tostadas but are called chalupas. But no soft chalupas.

I've only eaten chalupa once and it was a long time ago. Chalupas
look like a mini version of a taco to me.
http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/04/chalupas/
I'm sure I googled "baked soft chalupa" and came up with recipes.
Here's one
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-109433
Around here, tortillas are sold in what my family calls "baby size"
which is 4 or 5 inches across. I use them for everything, but I
imagine their main function is as a chalupa shell.

Chalupa means boat. If they are crispy shells, they will serve as a
boat. You need to find a picture to post so I know what the heck
you're talking about.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 3:50:02 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> This is actually a menu option at one of my favorite Mexican places. I
>> don't really care for the deep fried ones as they are so greasy but these
>> are divine.

>> Does anyone know how to make a soft chalupa? Yeah, I can ask Alfredo.
>> And
>> I probably will. But it makes for quick, cheap eats!

> As we should all know by now, chalupa is the Czech word for "cottage."
> (Also
> Polish and Ukrainian) And, unless you are making something like a tent,
> there is no way to make a soft cottage.

Apparently the word means a variety of things. Here, it is usually a fried
flour tortilla, folded in half and filled with what you would put in a taco.
But the soft one isn't fried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 00:57:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:49:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > Don't ask me, I haven't eaten a gordita yet. I know they are sold
>> > here now because they finally made it on the menu of the neighborhood
>> > Mexican restaurant we eat at most, but I didn't order it.
>> >
>> > Google Image "chalupa recipe" and I'm sure you'll find a website that
>> > works for you. Swagbucks obviously can't help you with that.

>> And yet it didn't. Chalupas? Yes. Even things that appear to be nachos
>> and tostadas but are called chalupas. But no soft chalupas.

> I've only eaten chalupa once and it was a long time ago. Chalupas
> look like a mini version of a taco to me.
> http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/04/chalupas/
> I'm sure I googled "baked soft chalupa" and came up with recipes.
> Here's one
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-109433
> Around here, tortillas are sold in what my family calls "baby size"
> which is 4 or 5 inches across. I use them for everything, but I
> imagine their main function is as a chalupa shell.
>
> Chalupa means boat. If they are crispy shells, they will serve as a
> boat. You need to find a picture to post so I know what the heck
> you're talking about.

The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what I
am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep finding
Taco Bell stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2015 5:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of
> what I am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just
> keep finding Taco Bell stuff.

Taco Bell commercials is about the only place I've ever seen a chalupa.
The local Tex-Mex restaurants don't have them on the menu.

However: take a gander at this:

http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/04/chalupas/

Step by step and pretty much how to quick fry then remove the tortilla
from the oil and it will still be puffy, soft and probably flexible.

Or these images:

http://tinyurl.com/qcjmaa3

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/19/2015 5:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of
>> what I am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just
>> keep finding Taco Bell stuff.

> Taco Bell commercials is about the only place I've ever seen a chalupa.
> The local Tex-Mex restaurants don't have them on the menu.
>
> However: take a gander at this:
>
> http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/04/chalupas/
>
> Step by step and pretty much how to quick fry then remove the tortilla
> from the oil and it will still be puffy, soft and probably flexible.

Right. That's for the more common fried one. That's not what this is. No
oil added.

> Or these images:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/qcjmaa3

None of those are what I am talking about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what I
>am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep finding
>Taco Bell stuff.

Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:40:01 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what I
>>am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep finding
>>Taco Bell stuff.

>Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
>If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
>em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what
>>am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep
>>finding
>>Taco Bell stuff.

> Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
> If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
> em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

No. As I said repeatedly, these are flour tortillas. I know what gorditas
are. I have made them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:40:01 -0500, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>>The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what
>>>am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep
>>>finding
>>>Taco Bell stuff.

>>Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
>>If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
>>em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita

Nope. Not at all like that. These use a flour tortilla. No corn. I can't
eat corn any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:07:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>>The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what
>>>am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep
>>>finding
>>>Taco Bell stuff.

>> Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
>> If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
>> em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

>No. As I said repeatedly, these are flour tortillas. I know what gorditas
>are. I have made them.

Julie, I fear you are just going to have to ask the person who made
them for you. None of us here can help you.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:07:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
>>> If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
>>> em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

>>No. As I said repeatedly, these are flour tortillas. I know what
>>gorditas
>>are. I have made them.

> Julie, I fear you are just going to have to ask the person who made
> them for you. None of us here can help you.

Obviously so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 9:40:14 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:

> Julie, I fear you are just going to have to ask the person who made
> them for you. None of us here can help you.

What you mean is: None of us here are as mentally ill as Julie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2015 8:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 1/19/2015 5:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of
>>> what I am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just
>>> keep finding Taco Bell stuff.

>> Taco Bell commercials is about the only place I've ever seen a
>> chalupa. The local Tex-Mex restaurants don't have them on the menu.
>>
>> However: take a gander at this:
>>
>> http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/04/chalupas/
>>
>> Step by step and pretty much how to quick fry then remove the tortilla
>> from the oil and it will still be puffy, soft and probably flexible.

> Right. That's for the more common fried one. That's not what this is.
> No oil added.
>>
>> Or these images:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/qcjmaa3

> None of those are what I am talking about.

Then ask them at the restaurant. It's apparent no one knows what the
heck you're calling a huge chalupa available only in some local place.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/19/2015 8:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Taco Bell commercials is about the only place I've ever seen a
>>> chalupa. The local Tex-Mex restaurants don't have them on the menu.
>>>
>>> However: take a gander at this:
>>>
>>> http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/04/chalupas/
>>>
>>> Step by step and pretty much how to quick fry then remove the tortilla
>>> from the oil and it will still be puffy, soft and probably flexible.

>> Right. That's for the more common fried one. That's not what this is.
>> No oil added.
>>>
>>> Or these images:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/qcjmaa3

>> None of those are what I am talking about.

> Then ask them at the restaurant. It's apparent no one knows what the heck
> you're calling a huge chalupa available only in some local place.

It's not only in some local place. All of the Mexican places here serve
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:45:33 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> It's not only in some local place. All of the Mexican places here serve
> them.

"All the Mexican places here" means in your locale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2015 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 1/19/2015 8:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> None of those are what I am talking about.

>> Then ask them at the restaurant. It's apparent no one knows what the
>> heck you're calling a huge chalupa available only in some local place.

> It's not only in some local place. All of the Mexican places here serve
> them.

"Here" being where you live, meaning LOCAL. In your general area. Not
where everyone else on RFC lives. Ask the guy. He'll either tell you
or he won't.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2015 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Then ask them at the restaurant. It's apparent no one knows what the
>>> heck you're calling a huge chalupa available only in some local place.

>> It's not only in some local place. All of the Mexican places here serve
>> them.

> "Here" being where you live, meaning LOCAL. In your general area. Not
> where everyone else on RFC lives. Ask the guy. He'll either tell you or
> he won't.

Yeah, I know he will. I just assumed that there would be an actual recipe
for it somewhere but apparently not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:39:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what I
> am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep finding
> Taco Bell stuff.

Take a picture of it with your phone.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:45:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> >> None of those are what I am talking about.

> > Then ask them at the restaurant. It's apparent no one knows what the heck
> > you're calling a huge chalupa available only in some local place.

> It's not only in some local place. All of the Mexican places here serve
> them.

So take a picture to post, but asking will probably solve your problem
faster.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:07:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >>The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what
> >>am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep
> >>finding
> >>Taco Bell stuff.

> > Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
> > If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
> > em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

> No. As I said repeatedly, these are flour tortillas. I know what gorditas
> are. I have made them.

Flour tortillas puff up and are not as hard as corn tortillas when
they are fried. They are crispy and flaky.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:07:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > Huge may be gordita, made with double thick corn tortilla:
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
>> > If you live in an Hispanic hood you can buy gordita tortillas, I loved
>> > em wrapped around fried pork and refried black beans.

>> No. As I said repeatedly, these are flour tortillas. I know what
>> gorditas
>> are. I have made them.

> Flour tortillas puff up and are not as hard as corn tortillas when
> they are fried. They are crispy and flaky.

Uh... Yeah. As I said... These are *not* the fried kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:45:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > Then ask them at the restaurant. It's apparent no one knows what the
>> > heck
>> > you're calling a huge chalupa available only in some local place.

>> It's not only in some local place. All of the Mexican places here serve
>> them.

> So take a picture to post, but asking will probably solve your problem
> faster.

No. It won't and I don't do pics like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:39:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what
>> am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep
>> finding
>> Taco Bell stuff.

> Take a picture of it with your phone.

Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 03:25:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:39:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The ones here are not mini. They are huge! I can not find a pic of what
> >> am talking about. Nothing looks like what we get here. I just keep
> >> finding
> >> Taco Bell stuff.

> > Take a picture of it with your phone.

> Nope.

Then you're out of luck.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 03:24:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:07:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> No. As I said repeatedly, these are flour tortillas. I know what
> >> gorditas
> >> are. I have made them.

> > Flour tortillas puff up and are not as hard as corn tortillas when
> > they are fried. They are crispy and flaky.

> Uh... Yeah. As I said... These are *not* the fried kind.

How do you know? Your only other alternative it to bake them in the
oven. You haven't given us a visual or even a decent description and
there is no way to read your mind.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 03:24:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:45:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> It's not only in some local place. All of the Mexican places here serve
> >> them.

> > So take a picture to post, but asking will probably solve your problem
> > faster.

> No. It won't and I don't do pics like that.

Then you're SOL.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room