Tess

Default Can you freeze nog?

Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.

Cheers : )

- Tess

Wayne Boatwright

"Tess" > wrote in news:PZikd.6612$_J2.6304
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.
>
> Cheers : )
>
> - Tess

Frozen eggnog will separate and lose its texture when thawed. It's not very
pleasant.

Commercial eggnog usually has a very long shelf life since most of it is
ultra-pasteurized. Check the sell-by date. You may be able to stock up just
keep it refrigerated.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> "Tess" > wrote in news:PZikd.6612$_J2.6304
> @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
>> Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.
>>
>> Cheers : )
>>
>> - Tess

> Frozen eggnog will separate and lose its texture when thawed. It's
> not very pleasant.

Agreed.

> Commercial eggnog usually has a very long shelf life since most of it
> is ultra-pasteurized. Check the sell-by date. You may be able to
> stock up just keep it refrigerated.

Or make your own. You could obviously leave out the liquor, but what would
be the point? <G>

18 eggs
1-1/2 lbs. sugar
2 quarts whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
1/5th rye whiskey
1/2 pint brandy
1/2 pint light rum

Separate 18 eggs. Using a 2 gallon plastic bucket and a wooden spoon
(important - don't use a metal spoon!), mix egg yolks and sugar together
until you have a creamy batter. Add the whiskey, brandy and rum and stir
constantly to avoid curdling. Stir in the milk and cream until well
blended. Use a blender to whip the egg whites to a (fairly thick) froth.
Add to mixture in bucket and fold under gently. Bottle and chill
immediately. Makes 7 quarts.

Jill

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> "Tess" > wrote in news:PZikd.6612$_J2.6304
> @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
>> Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.
>>
>> Cheers : )
>>
>> - Tess

> Frozen eggnog will separate and lose its texture when thawed. It's
> not very pleasant.

Agreed.

> Commercial eggnog usually has a very long shelf life since most of it
> is ultra-pasteurized. Check the sell-by date. You may be able to
> stock up just keep it refrigerated.

Or make your own. You could obviously leave out the liquor, but what would
be the point? <G>

18 eggs
1-1/2 lbs. sugar
2 quarts whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
1/5th rye whiskey
1/2 pint brandy
1/2 pint light rum

Separate 18 eggs. Using a 2 gallon plastic bucket and a wooden spoon
(important - don't use a metal spoon!), mix egg yolks and sugar together
until you have a creamy batter. Add the whiskey, brandy and rum and stir
constantly to avoid curdling. Stir in the milk and cream until well
blended. Use a blender to whip the egg whites to a (fairly thick) froth.
Add to mixture in bucket and fold under gently. Bottle and chill
immediately. Makes 7 quarts.

Jill

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> "Tess" > wrote in news:PZikd.6612$_J2.6304
> @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
>> Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.
>>
>> Cheers : )
>>
>> - Tess

> Frozen eggnog will separate and lose its texture when thawed. It's
> not very pleasant.

Agreed.

> Commercial eggnog usually has a very long shelf life since most of it
> is ultra-pasteurized. Check the sell-by date. You may be able to
> stock up just keep it refrigerated.

Or make your own. You could obviously leave out the liquor, but what would
be the point? <G>

18 eggs
1-1/2 lbs. sugar
2 quarts whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
1/5th rye whiskey
1/2 pint brandy
1/2 pint light rum

Separate 18 eggs. Using a 2 gallon plastic bucket and a wooden spoon
(important - don't use a metal spoon!), mix egg yolks and sugar together
until you have a creamy batter. Add the whiskey, brandy and rum and stir
constantly to avoid curdling. Stir in the milk and cream until well
blended. Use a blender to whip the egg whites to a (fairly thick) froth.
Add to mixture in bucket and fold under gently. Bottle and chill
immediately. Makes 7 quarts.

Jill

Dave Smith

Tess wrote:

> Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.

There is not much in commercial eggnog to go bad. It has a long shelf
life.

Dave Smith

Tess wrote:

> Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.

There is not much in commercial eggnog to go bad. It has a long shelf
life.

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > "Tess" > wrote in news:PZikd.6612$_J2.6304
> > @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
> >

> Or make your own. You could obviously leave out the liquor, but what

would
> be the point? <G>
>
> 18 eggs
> 1-1/2 lbs. sugar
> 2 quarts whole milk
> 1 quart heavy cream
> 1/5th rye whiskey
> 1/2 pint brandy
> 1/2 pint light rum
>
> Separate 18 eggs. Using a 2 gallon plastic bucket and a wooden spoon
> (important - don't use a metal spoon!), mix egg yolks and sugar together
> until you have a creamy batter. Add the whiskey, brandy and rum and stir
> constantly to avoid curdling. Stir in the milk and cream until well
> blended. Use a blender to whip the egg whites to a (fairly thick) froth.
> Add to mixture in bucket and fold under gently. Bottle and chill
> immediately. Makes 7 quarts.
>
> Jill

Jill, you lush! ROFL.

kili <g>

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > "Tess" > wrote in news:PZikd.6612$_J2.6304
> > @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
> >

> Or make your own. You could obviously leave out the liquor, but what

would
> be the point? <G>
>
> 18 eggs
> 1-1/2 lbs. sugar
> 2 quarts whole milk
> 1 quart heavy cream
> 1/5th rye whiskey
> 1/2 pint brandy
> 1/2 pint light rum
>
> Separate 18 eggs. Using a 2 gallon plastic bucket and a wooden spoon
> (important - don't use a metal spoon!), mix egg yolks and sugar together
> until you have a creamy batter. Add the whiskey, brandy and rum and stir
> constantly to avoid curdling. Stir in the milk and cream until well
> blended. Use a blender to whip the egg whites to a (fairly thick) froth.
> Add to mixture in bucket and fold under gently. Bottle and chill
> immediately. Makes 7 quarts.
>
> Jill

Jill, you lush! ROFL.

kili <g>

WDW1

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > "Tess" > wrote in news:PZikd.6612$_J2.6304
> > @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
> >
> >> Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.
> >>
> >> Cheers : )
> >>
> >> - Tess

> > Frozen eggnog will separate and lose its texture when thawed. It's
> > not very pleasant.
> >

> Agreed.
>
> > Commercial eggnog usually has a very long shelf life since most of it
> > is ultra-pasteurized. Check the sell-by date. You may be able to
> > stock up just keep it refrigerated.

> Or make your own. You could obviously leave out the liquor, but what

would
> be the point? <G>
>
> 18 eggs
> 1-1/2 lbs. sugar
> 2 quarts whole milk
> 1 quart heavy cream
> 1/5th rye whiskey
> 1/2 pint brandy
> 1/2 pint light rum
>
> Separate 18 eggs. Using a 2 gallon plastic bucket and a wooden spoon
> (important - don't use a metal spoon!), mix egg yolks and sugar together
> until you have a creamy batter. Add the whiskey, brandy and rum and stir
> constantly to avoid curdling. Stir in the milk and cream until well
> blended. Use a blender to whip the egg whites to a (fairly thick) froth.
> Add to mixture in bucket and fold under gently. Bottle and chill
> immediately. Makes 7 quarts.
>
> Jill

Thank you all for the input! I like the idea of putting a bunch in the
'fridge - my 'fridge is very cold, I froze my carrots - and that's after
turning it down! It seems to me that if you want to keep something *very*
cold, the best place to put it is in the bottom, yes?

I've often thought about making my own - all those eggs is what keeps me
from it. I can sure cook, but there are a couple of things I'm just not good
at, and eggies are ones of them. The other, of all things is - rice!

Thanks, ya'll ~ Cheers!

- Tess

Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> Tess wrote:
>
> > Well, can you? It's out in the shops now, and I'd like to stock up.

> There is not much in commercial eggnog to go bad. It has a long shelf
> life.

I learned to read the ingredients, there's alway some more expensive
brand that is *way* better than the other. Then I doctor it up with
booze and nutmeg, like that and it's Christmas morning for me.

nancy
PENMART01

>"WDW1" writes:
>
>I can sure cook, but there are a couple of things I'm just not good at, and

eggies are >ones of them. The other, of all things is - rice!

Didja know that even if they can't cook anything else 90% of the world
population So what can you cook?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dave Smith

Nancy Young wrote:

> I learned to read the ingredients, there's alway some more expensive
> brand that is *way* better than the other. Then I doctor it up with
> booze and nutmeg, like that and it's Christmas morning for me.

No doubt. Over the past few years I have been surprised to see eggnog
prices so cheap. I was equally surprised to find that it didn't taste much
like eggnog. It tasted totally artificial. COnsidering how easy it is to
make eggnog, why not just whip up a batch at home. Cream, eggs, a bit of
nutmeg..... and run (or brandy).

Shawn Mann

After going to the store to get more, I noticed that the first time I
purchased "Holiday Nog" instead of actual Egg Nog... upon tasting it, I
realized how nasty the "Holiday Nog" was... I don't think it had ANY actual
egg in it. The real stuff is much better, even if store bought.

I will have to try Jill's recipe... thanks! Was going to look one up. I've
never made it at home before.

Peace,
Shawn M. J. Mann
www.Quillspirit-Cafe.com