Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you think this will freeze well?

Hello all,

I made a batch of Buckeye candy yesterday for the Ohio State game (Go
Bucks!). Trouble is, it makes enough for about 8 million (OK, maybe a
few less than that). I was hoping to freeze the rest to have at
Christmas, but am not sure it would do well. Checked a few websites,
but not much help.

The recipe is butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar blended
thoroughly. Then rolled and dipped in chocolate.

What are everyone's thoughts? I know butter can be frozen, but not sure
about this mixture. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I made a batch of Buckeye candy yesterday for the Ohio State game (Go
> Bucks!). Trouble is, it makes enough for about 8 million (OK, maybe a
> few less than that). I was hoping to freeze the rest to have at
> Christmas, but am not sure it would do well. Checked a few websites,
> but not much help.
>
> The recipe is butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar blended
> thoroughly. Then rolled and dipped in chocolate.
>
> What are everyone's thoughts? I know butter can be frozen, but not sure
> about this mixture. Any help is appreciated

They're basically fat and sugar.. both freeze well. I can't swear to the
chocolate but I would freeze them anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

> What are everyone's thoughts? I know butter can be frozen, but not
> sure about this mixture. Any help is appreciated.

I would imagine that they'd freeze well. Heck, during summer I freeze Reeses
PB cups. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I made a batch of Buckeye candy yesterday for the Ohio State game (Go
> Bucks!). Trouble is, it makes enough for about 8 million (OK, maybe a
> few less than that). I was hoping to freeze the rest to have at
> Christmas, but am not sure it would do well. Checked a few websites,
> but not much help.
>
> The recipe is butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar blended
> thoroughly. Then rolled and dipped in chocolate.
>
> What are everyone's thoughts? I know butter can be frozen, but not sure
> about this mixture. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Kris

It will freeze OK, but the chocolate will develop a white "bloom" on the
outside and you may want to re-dip them after they thaw. I haven't made
Buckeyes in a long time, but the last time I made them, they kept forever!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I made a batch of Buckeye candy yesterday for the Ohio State game (Go
> Bucks!). Trouble is, it makes enough for about 8 million (OK, maybe a
> few less than that). I was hoping to freeze the rest to have at
> Christmas, but am not sure it would do well. Checked a few websites,
> but not much help.
>
> The recipe is butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar blended
> thoroughly. Then rolled and dipped in chocolate.
>
> What are everyone's thoughts? I know butter can be frozen, but not sure
> about this mixture. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Kris

It sounds awful, so how much worse could it get?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> It sounds awful, so how much worse could it get?

It is a grand combination! peanut butter and chocolate.. just like a
Reese Cup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> It sounds awful, so how much worse could it get?

> It is a grand combination! peanut butter and chocolate.. just like a Reese
> Cup.

I guess I'm imagining a bunch of grunting neanderthals getting cranked up on
this shit while watching fatball. Not a pleasant vision.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LOL! I made these because I'm married to a double Buckeye (Ohio State
for both undergrad and grad school).

He doesn't even care that much about the games, unless obnoxious
Michigan fans give him grief about the game, which they have non-stop
this last week.

Kris

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >
> >> It sounds awful, so how much worse could it get?

> > It is a grand combination! peanut butter and chocolate.. just like a Reese
> > Cup.

> I guess I'm imagining a bunch of grunting neanderthals getting cranked up on
> this shit while watching fatball. Not a pleasant vision.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> LOL! I made these because I'm married to a double Buckeye (Ohio State
> for both undergrad and grad school).
>
> He doesn't even care that much about the games, unless obnoxious
> Michigan fans give him grief about the game, which they have non-stop
> this last week.

Football game food!
In Texas we grew up eating "Chili Pies" at High school games. A small
bag of fritos torn open lengthwise, and chili ladled on top. Onions,
jalepenos and cheese as desired. Plastic spoon.

I imagine they do a lot of brats and such in Ohio and Michigan?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
news
> Kris wrote:
>> LOL! I made these because I'm married to a double Buckeye (Ohio State
>> for both undergrad and grad school).
>>
>> He doesn't even care that much about the games, unless obnoxious
>> Michigan fans give him grief about the game, which they have non-stop
>> this last week.
>>

> Football game food!
> In Texas we grew up eating "Chili Pies" at High school games. A small bag
> of fritos torn open lengthwise, and chili ladled on top. Onions, jalepenos
> and cheese as desired. Plastic spoon.
>
> I imagine they do a lot of brats and such in Ohio and Michigan?

This proves my point. Fatball fans use the game to somehow justify eating
things which most people would consider disgusting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

To be fair, Buckeyes are delicious - like a homemade peanut butter cup.

Kris

P.S. - and yes, brats are made a lot for football parties, tailgates,
etc.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> news
> > Kris wrote:
> >> LOL! I made these because I'm married to a double Buckeye (Ohio State
> >> for both undergrad and grad school).
> >>
> >> He doesn't even care that much about the games, unless obnoxious
> >> Michigan fans give him grief about the game, which they have non-stop
> >> this last week.
> >>

> > Football game food!
> > In Texas we grew up eating "Chili Pies" at High school games. A small bag
> > of fritos torn open lengthwise, and chili ladled on top. Onions, jalepenos
> > and cheese as desired. Plastic spoon.
> >
> > I imagine they do a lot of brats and such in Ohio and Michigan?

> This proves my point. Fatball fans use the game to somehow justify eating
> things which most people would consider disgusting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> It sounds awful, so how much worse could it get?

Peanut butter and chocolate don't go together? Who
knew?

I'm doing peanut butter meltaways at the moment. They'll
get shaped into small disks, dipped in couverture, and
laid into #6 minicups. Reese's PB cups, but with good
ingredients. They won't survive the first half hour on
TurkeyDay.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> To be fair, Buckeyes are delicious - like a homemade peanut butter
> cup.
>

> Kris
>
> P.S. - and yes, brats are made a lot for football parties, tailgates,
> etc.

Let me scroll down and see to whom and to what you are replying .... hold
on..... just a sec..

Oh.

Now, would you please quit top-posting so that we can read things in
context. Pretty please.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> P.S. - and yes, brats are made a lot for football parties, tailgates,
> etc.

What are brats? You are drunk, so you think you used this word in a previous
message, but in fact, you did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh. Right. I'm drunk. That explains why I'm emailing about freezing
buckeyes. That's what ALL inebriated folk do.

When in actuality I just mistakenly responded to 2 posts at once.

Lighten up Frances!

Kris

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > P.S. - and yes, brats are made a lot for football parties, tailgates,
> > etc.

> What are brats? You are drunk, so you think you used this word in a previous
> message, but in fact, you did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Frances?

"Kris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Oh. Right. I'm drunk. That explains why I'm emailing about freezing
> buckeyes. That's what ALL inebriated folk do.
>
> When in actuality I just mistakenly responded to 2 posts at once.
>
> Lighten up Frances!
>
> Kris
>

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Kris" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > P.S. - and yes, brats are made a lot for football parties, tailgates,
>> > etc.

>> What are brats? You are drunk, so you think you used this word in a
>> previous
>> message, but in fact, you did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It's a quote from the movie "Stripes".

Kris

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> Frances?
>

> "Kris" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Oh. Right. I'm drunk. That explains why I'm emailing about freezing
> > buckeyes. That's what ALL inebriated folk do.
> >
> > When in actuality I just mistakenly responded to 2 posts at once.
> >
> > Lighten up Frances!
> >
> > Kris
> >

> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >> "Kris" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> What are brats? You are drunk, so you think you used this word in a
> >> previous
> >> message, but in fact, you did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It's a quote from the movie "Stripes".

Ah....a TV head. Just as I thought. Have you ever seen the movie "Being
There"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Kris" > wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I made a batch of Buckeye candy yesterday for the Ohio State game (Go
> Bucks!). Trouble is, it makes enough for about 8 million (OK, maybe a
> few less than that). I was hoping to freeze the rest to have at
> Christmas, but am not sure it would do well. Checked a few websites,
> but not much help.
>
> The recipe is butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar blended
> thoroughly. Then rolled and dipped in chocolate.
>
> What are everyone's thoughts? I know butter can be frozen, but not sure
> about this mixture. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Kris

Sure. Or just keep them in a cool place.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, they freeze well.

Lynne

"Kris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I made a batch of Buckeye candy yesterday for the Ohio State game (Go
> Bucks!). Trouble is, it makes enough for about 8 million (OK, maybe a
> few less than that). I was hoping to freeze the rest to have at
> Christmas, but am not sure it would do well. Checked a few websites,
> but not much help.
>
> The recipe is butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar blended
> thoroughly. Then rolled and dipped in chocolate.
>
> What are everyone's thoughts? I know butter can be frozen, but not sure
> about this mixture. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make mine with graham cracker crumbs in them as well. You're right Kris
they do taste like Peanut Butter cups. They are SO good. Mine will keep
about a week outside the freezer, but I freeze them with no trouble at all
and pass them out as needed or should say as wanted during the holiday
season.

Lynne

ups.com...