Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Not getting many kids.

I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of shootings
and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy weather isn't
helping. In the middle of the night, two people called 911 and reported
seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building at the Everett
Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think that it was just a man
with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying that. I could see maybe
one person making a mistake like that. But two? Nope.

I am glad that I didn't buy as much candy as I usually do because we got far
less kids than in years past. Seems we get fewer and fewer each year. I
didn't go all out with the decorations as I have in the past. I just threw
a string of purple lights on the Rhodie around 4:00 p.m. and put out 4 fake
pumpkins and that lantern that I bought at Costco.

If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they have
gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the way of
the wind! Oh and almost all that I did get were driven in by their
parents. I only saw two groups that were walking. But I also think that we
don't have many kids of any age who live near here now. There will be some
moving in next door but they are still working on that house. Most of the
houses on this street are pretty small so I guess we don't have a lot of
families here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they
> have gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the
> way of the wind! Oh and almost all that I did get were driven in by
> their parents. I only saw two groups that were walking. But I also think
> that we don't have many kids of any age who live near here now. There
> will be some moving in next door but they are still working on that house.
> Most of the houses on this street are pretty small so I guess we don't
> have a lot of families here.

No. I didn't even hear or see kids walking, but it was raining earlier. I
think the kids are going to church parties, house parties etc. for the most
part around here. I do live on a short street which is fairly dark, so not
really traveled much anymore by kids.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:34:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of shootings
>and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy weather isn't
>helping. In the middle of the night, two people called 911 and reported
>seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building at the Everett
>Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think that it was just a man
>with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying that.

Of course not. BE AFRAID... BE AFRAID OF EVERYTHING.

> I could see maybe
>one person making a mistake like that. But two? Nope.

I can. You're Über-paranoid because you swallow the crap that passes
for news, which ironically generates more genuine violence of one
description or another. And more paranoia. And so the cycle continues,
as does the politicians that manipulate and exploit you. You are part
of the problem that need not even exist in the first place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
>> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they
>> have gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the
>> way of the wind! Oh and almost all that I did get were driven in by
>> their parents. I only saw two groups that were walking. But I also
>> think that we don't have many kids of any age who live near here now.
>> There will be some moving in next door but they are still working on that
>> house. Most of the houses on this street are pretty small so I guess we
>> don't have a lot of families here.

> No. I didn't even hear or see kids walking, but it was raining earlier. I
> think the kids are going to church parties, house parties etc. for the
> most part around here. I do live on a short street which is fairly dark,
> so not really traveled much anymore by kids.

I think they're doing that here too. My street is very long so it would be
easy pickin's. But of the kids I did get, I didn't see much in their bags
or pumpkins. I know when Angela went to a few houses around here she would
generally only get one little thing at each place. I usually give a big
handful unless I am running low. That's if I don't give out the full sized.
I have done that a few times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:34:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of shootings
>and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy weather isn't
>helping. In the middle of the night, two people called 911 and reported
>seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building at the Everett
>Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think that it was just a man
>with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying that. I could see maybe
>one person making a mistake like that. But two? Nope.
>
>I am glad that I didn't buy as much candy as I usually do because we got far
>less kids than in years past. Seems we get fewer and fewer each year. I
>didn't go all out with the decorations as I have in the past. I just threw
>a string of purple lights on the Rhodie around 4:00 p.m. and put out 4 fake
>pumpkins and that lantern that I bought at Costco.

I give up. I googled "Rhodie" and apparently it's either a "white
Zimbabwean or expatriate Rhodesian", or a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog.

If you are throwing purple lights on either of these, it's no wonder
you're not getting many kids.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 12:47:52 AM UTC-4, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:34:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of shootings
> >and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy weather isn't
> >helping. In the middle of the night, two people called 911 and reported
> >seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building at the Everett
> >Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think that it was just a man
> >with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying that.

> Of course not. BE AFRAID... BE AFRAID OF EVERYTHING.
>
> > I could see maybe
> >one person making a mistake like that. But two? Nope.

> I can. You're Über-paranoid because you swallow the crap that passes
> for news, which ironically generates more genuine violence of one
> description or another. And more paranoia. And so the cycle continues,
> as does the politicians that manipulate and exploit you. You are part
> of the problem that need not even exist in the first place.

You don't even live here, half-wit. What the **** would you know? Don't you have to go milk the dingos?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they have
> gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the way of
> the wind! Oh and almost all that I did get were driven in by their
> parents. I only saw two groups that were walking. But I also think that we
> don't have many kids of any age who live near here now. There will be some
> moving in next door but they are still working on that house. Most of the
> houses on this street are pretty small so I guess we don't have a lot of
> families here.

We got zero kids, but this is normal, they have to drive between the homes out here. Every year John buys candy and no one comes. Then he has to eat it himself ! LOL
On Friday, October 31, 2014 11:35:54 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of shootings
> and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy weather isn't
> helping. In the middle of the night, two people called 911 and reported
> seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building at the Everett
> Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think that it was just a man
> with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying that. I could see maybe
> one person making a mistake like that. But two? Nope.
>
> I am glad that I didn't buy as much candy as I usually do because we got far
> less kids than in years past. Seems we get fewer and fewer each year. I
> didn't go all out with the decorations as I have in the past. I just threw
> a string of purple lights on the Rhodie around 4:00 p.m. and put out 4 fake
> pumpkins and that lantern that I bought at Costco.
>
> If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they have
> gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the way of
> the wind! Oh and almost all that I did get were driven in by their
> parents. I only saw two groups that were walking. But I also think that we
> don't have many kids of any age who live near here now. There will be some
> moving in next door but they are still working on that house. Most of the
> houses on this street are pretty small so I guess we don't have a lot of
> families here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:34:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they have
> gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the way of
> the wind!

I thought there were fewer this year too... but then I realized that
it's Friday night, so probably more people had Halloween parties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:42:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> it was raining earlier.

Hubby says that had something to do with it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
> On you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
>> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they
>> have
>> gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the way of
>> the wind! Oh and almost all that I did get were driven in by their
>> parents. I only saw two groups that were walking. But I also think that
>> we
>> don't have many kids of any age who live near here now. There will be
>> some
>> moving in next door but they are still working on that house. Most of
>> the
>> houses on this street are pretty small so I guess we don't have a lot of
>> families here.

> We got zero kids, but this is normal, they have to drive between the homes
> out here. Every year John buys candy and no one comes. Then he has to eat
> it himself ! LOL

I see a plan here ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> >
> >"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > > If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very
> > > many? Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has
> > > told me they have gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or
> > > Treating is going the way of the wind! Oh and almost all that
> > > I did get were driven in by their parents. I only saw two
> > > groups that were walking. But I also think that we don't have
> > > many kids of any age who live near here now. There will be some
> > > moving in next door but they are still working on that house.
> > > Most of the houses on this street are pretty small so I guess we
> > > don't have a lot of families here.

> > No. I didn't even hear or see kids walking, but it was raining
> > earlier. I think the kids are going to church parties, house
> > parties etc. for the most part around here. I do live on a short
> > street which is fairly dark, so not really traveled much anymore
> > by kids.

> I think they're doing that here too. My street is very long so it
> would be easy pickin's. But of the kids I did get, I didn't see much
> in their bags or pumpkins. I know when Angela went to a few houses
> around here she would generally only get one little thing at each
> place. I usually give a big handful unless I am running low. That's
> if I don't give out the full sized. I have done that a few times.

I had a smaller night than normal but not by much. My particular block
doenst have any kids on it right now so many skip us thinking we aren't
out there with candy.

The weather here is variable at Halloween so some years the kids can
wear normal costumes in comfort, and other years have to use a coat
over them. It was about 60F by 6pm this year and 54F by 8pm so the
drop off was expected. Some parents drove the kids to centers of
running about with obvious decorations.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-01 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:42:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> it was raining earlier.

> Hubby says that had something to do with it too.

How lazy and spoiled are kids these days that they won't go out for free
candy if it is raining?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 15:51:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-11-01 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:42:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> it was raining earlier.

> > Hubby says that had something to do with it too.
> >

> How lazy and spoiled are kids these days that they won't go out for free
> candy if it is raining?

I think the kids are all for it, but their parents are not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:34:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of shootings
>>and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy weather isn't
>>helping. In the middle of the night, two people called 911 and reported
>>seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building at the Everett
>>Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think that it was just a
>>man
>>with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying that. I could see maybe
>>one person making a mistake like that. But two? Nope.
>>
>>I am glad that I didn't buy as much candy as I usually do because we got
>>far
>>less kids than in years past. Seems we get fewer and fewer each year. I
>>didn't go all out with the decorations as I have in the past. I just
>>threw
>>a string of purple lights on the Rhodie around 4:00 p.m. and put out 4
>>fake
>>pumpkins and that lantern that I bought at Costco.

> I give up. I googled "Rhodie" and apparently it's either a "white
> Zimbabwean or expatriate Rhodesian", or a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog.
>
> If you are throwing purple lights on either of these, it's no wonder
> you're not getting many kids.

Good grief! It's short for Rhodedenron.

http://www.rhododendron.org/news/plantsv6n1.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:34:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
>> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they
>> have
>> gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the way of
>> the wind!

> I thought there were fewer this year too... but then I realized that
> it's Friday night, so probably more people had Halloween parties.

I don't know of any here.

We did have an arrest on our street on Sat. though. Saw the guy getting
cuffed. Still haven't heard what the deal was there. But a neighbor who
used to live here referred to the house he was in front of as "the crack
house". So that might have something to do with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "rosie" wrote:
> > We got zero kids, but this is normal, they have to drive between the homes
> > out here. Every year John buys candy and no one comes. Then he has to eat
> > it himself ! LOL

> I see a plan here ... ;-)

I'll bet he buys the good stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/31/2014 6:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of
> shootings and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy
> weather isn't helping. In the middle of the night, two people called
> 911 and reported seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building
> at the Everett Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think
> that it was just a man with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying
> that. I could see maybe one person making a mistake like that. But
> two? Nope.
>
> I am glad that I didn't buy as much candy as I usually do because we got
> far less kids than in years past. Seems we get fewer and fewer each
> year. I didn't go all out with the decorations as I have in the past.
> I just threw a string of purple lights on the Rhodie around 4:00 p.m.
> and put out 4 fake pumpkins and that lantern that I bought at Costco.
>
> If you get Trick Or Treaters where you live, are you getting very many?
> Everyone I have spoken to on the phone or on Facebook has told me they
> have gotten far less this year. Perhaps Trick Or Treating is going the
> way of the wind! Oh and almost all that I did get were driven in by
> their parents. I only saw two groups that were walking. But I also
> think that we don't have many kids of any age who live near here now.
> There will be some moving in next door but they are still working on
> that house. Most of the houses on this street are pretty small so I
> guess we don't have a lot of families here.

We don't get any trick-or-treaters in my condo. I cannot say why but
perhaps it's God giving one of his faithful servants protection from
witches, zombies, and Michael Jacksons.

OTOH, the kid that was living with us for 4 years grabbed his belongings
and moved back to his parent's house on Halloween. I guess you could say
that the number of kids we had on Halloween was -1.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "rosie" wrote:
>> > We got zero kids, but this is normal, they have to drive between the
>> > homes
>> > out here. Every year John buys candy and no one comes. Then he has to
>> > eat
>> > it himself ! LOL

>> I see a plan here ... ;-)

> I'll bet he buys the good stuff.

Of course! Only the best is good enough for ... the kids ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:56:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> I just threw a string of purple lights on the Rhodie around 4:00 p.m. and put out 4
>>>fake pumpkins and that lantern that I bought at Costco.

>> I give up. I googled "Rhodie" and apparently it's either a "white
>> Zimbabwean or expatriate Rhodesian", or a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog.
>>
>> If you are throwing purple lights on either of these, it's no wonder
>> you're not getting many kids.

>Good grief! It's short for Rhodedenron.
>
>http://www.rhododendron.org/news/plantsv6n1.htm

Thank you. I googled Rhodie, and didn't see anything except what I
indicated above, plus a place called Rhodie's Smokin BBQ in Preston
WA.

Rhodie must be slang for Rhododendron. Or it's a term that's more
common in Washington. I've never heard it used here in Ontario.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:56:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I give up. I googled "Rhodie" and apparently it's either a "white
>>> Zimbabwean or expatriate Rhodesian", or a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog.
>>>
>>> If you are throwing purple lights on either of these, it's no wonder
>>> you're not getting many kids.

>>Good grief! It's short for Rhodedenron.
>>
>>http://www.rhododendron.org/news/plantsv6n1.htm

> Thank you. I googled Rhodie, and didn't see anything except what I
> indicated above, plus a place called Rhodie's Smokin BBQ in Preston
> WA.
>
> Rhodie must be slang for Rhododendron. Or it's a term that's more
> common in Washington. I've never heard it used here in Ontario.

Dunno. Everyone refers to them as that here though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:48:08 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:56:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>Good grief! It's short for Rhodedenron.
> >>
> >>http://www.rhododendron.org/news/plantsv6n1.htm

> > Thank you. I googled Rhodie, and didn't see anything except what I
> > indicated above, plus a place called Rhodie's Smokin BBQ in Preston
> > WA.
> >
> > Rhodie must be slang for Rhododendron. Or it's a term that's more
> > common in Washington. I've never heard it used here in Ontario.

> Dunno. Everyone refers to them as that here though.

The usual people who refer to them as rhodies are those who work with
them. Nobody I know does, except florists who are talking among
themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:48:08 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:56:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> . ..

>> > Thank you. I googled Rhodie, and didn't see anything except what I
>> > indicated above, plus a place called Rhodie's Smokin BBQ in Preston
>> > WA.
>> >
>> > Rhodie must be slang for Rhododendron. Or it's a term that's more
>> > common in Washington. I've never heard it used here in Ontario.

>> Dunno. Everyone refers to them as that here though.

> The usual people who refer to them as rhodies are those who work with
> them. Nobody I know does, except florists who are talking among
> themselves.

My parents never worked with them and they call them that. So do all of my
friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 1:57:50 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:34:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I think that the recent high school shooting and the threats of shootings
> >>and such in this area have frightened people. And rainy weather isn't
> >>helping. In the middle of the night, two people called 911 and reported
> >>seeing a man with a rifle, running through the building at the Everett
> >>Boeing Plant. The 5:00 a.m. news said they now think that it was just a
> >>man
> >>with a long, folded up umbrella. I am not buying that. I could see maybe
> >>one person making a mistake like that. But two? Nope.
> >>
> >>I am glad that I didn't buy as much candy as I usually do because we got
> >>far
> >>less kids than in years past. Seems we get fewer and fewer each year. I
> >>didn't go all out with the decorations as I have in the past. I just
> >>threw
> >>a string of purple lights on the Rhodie around 4:00 p.m. and put out 4
> >>fake
> >>pumpkins and that lantern that I bought at Costco.

> > I give up. I googled "Rhodie" and apparently it's either a "white
> > Zimbabwean or expatriate Rhodesian", or a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog.
> >
> > If you are throwing purple lights on either of these, it's no wonder
> > you're not getting many kids.

> Good grief! It's short for Rhodedenron.
>
> http://www.rhododendron.org/news/plantsv6n1.htm

You have very serious mental issues.