Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking by kids, for kids

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant to
cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-01, Horry wrote:

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
like to expand his repertoire.

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives....

Why don't you just wrap him in animal balloons and pack him in a cotton
lined coffin?

By time I was twelve, I was building campfires with a flint and steel, had
earned my marksmanship and cooking merit badges, carried my own sheath
knife, and could cook a dinner for three. Give the kid a freakin' break,
fergawdsakes!

nb
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 01-02-2009, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Horry said...

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant to
cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

Thanks!

Horry,

Cheesesteaks?

Parent or butcher would have to machine thin slice the chilled rib eye meat
(grey kangaroo, lamb, beef?)

Parent would also have to medium dice onions. The kids could do the rest.

Andy
Cheesesteak BUM!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 02:28:03 +0000, Andy wrote:

Horry said...

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and
I'd like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant
to cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

Thanks!

Horry,

Cheesesteaks?

Parent or butcher would have to machine thin slice the chilled rib eye
meat (grey kangaroo, lamb, beef?)

Parent would also have to medium dice onions. The kids could do the
rest.

Sounds good... and appealing food for a kid.

Has anyone tried kangaroo meat cheesesteaks? A quick google search
didn't uncover anything... (AFAIK, cheesesteaks aren't particularly
common down here).

Thanks...

Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Horry" wrote

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

Generally stick to ones that have not too much more than 5 ingredients
(unless the extras are a little measure of dried spices etc). This is a
good age to learn some simple cassaroles.

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
like to expand his repertoire.

Definately time.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant to
cook things he doesn't like to eat

What does he like? There's really little a kid age 12 cant manage unless
they arent used to a knife yet, and if so, supervise for a few months til
they get the hang of it.

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

Actually, naked flames as in gas stove is fine. Hot liquids fine but teach
him to use a ladle to pull out a portion of soup, and get a strainer on a
handle so he can dip out hot pastas (eblows and the like shapes) from the
boiling water (vice lifting the pot to the sink). Get some tongs for that
too as spagetti shaped things are easier to manage that way.

On knives, 12 is old enough but no matter what the age, supervision and
showing 'safe cutting techniques' is needed at the start.

In my opinion, 12 is actually past the age when I expect a kid to be able to
handle basics in the kitchen with a knife. Maybe not yet to the 'slit a
pork loin so we can stuff it' level, but common things like chopping carrots
and such are well in line with that age. It's ok though if you are just
starting that. Not all kids are the same on all things and if this is the
age when you start, it's still in plenty of time.

In our home, cooking is a fun little event and normally involves all 3 of us
doing some portion. Charlotte could load the breadmaker by age 8 though
we'd have to put the pan in for her (not tall enough). By age 6 she was
helping wash vegetables and by age 7 able to handle a safety peeler (looks a
bit like a cheese slicer). By age 10 she was well into cutting vegetables
but not yet to 'fancy cuts' (home fries were her level). She's 15 now and i
can call her and tell her I'm running late and ask what's for dinner ;-)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Horry said...

[...]

I've enjoyed grey kangaroo steaks! Nothing like Philly cheesesteaks.

Prepared to perfection by the boss's Mom in Adelaide!

I prefer hers! Catherine Mary Joseph [RIP]

Best,

Andy
Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 01:22:15 +0000, Horry wrote:

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant
to cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

The kid is 12 years old and can't handle hot liquids or naked flames?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Horry wrote:

Has anyone tried kangaroo meat cheesesteaks? A quick google search
didn't uncover anything... (AFAIK, cheesesteaks aren't particularly
common down here).

You might start a national trend by being the first to cook it. You
might also throw the whole thing in the trash. I've never had the
opportunity to try kangaroo. The closest I could guess is "tastes like
possum" which I haven't eaten either.

leo
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" wrote
Horry said...

Cheesesteaks?

Parent or butcher would have to machine thin slice the chilled rib eye
meat
(grey kangaroo, lamb, beef?)

Agreed. Taught Charlotte the 'half frozen slicing' but later, was nearing
14. (in our case, for making jerky in the dehydrator).

Parent would also have to medium dice onions. The kids could do the rest.

Not really, parent may have to do the initial cut to say, quarters though
since it seems he (Horry's son I presume) is just starting knife skills.
Charlotte started earlier with knives so was able to handle this alone by
that age but a really big vidalia, I might halve for her back then.

Keeping in mind that you learn by doing, his initial cuts wont be so perfect
but they work fine for cooking!

Horry, here's a sample of a meal Charlotte liked then (still does) and well
in her level by then and I think for your 12YO. It's a semi- home made but
that's ok at this level.

1 can (28oz) chicken stock (we actually used our own home made)
1 small block firm tofu (100-150g or so will be used)
1 fistful of fresh green beans
3-4 large cabbage leaves
1 green onion

Set the tofu on a plate with another plate on top to press as much water out
as reasonable. While it presses, get the rest out. Set the stock to
warming on lowest setting. Wash the green beans and snap the ends off then
add to the stock (may cut smaller if desired or just snap smaller). Tear up
the cabbage to smaller bits (may cut or use hands). Cut green onion top to
about 1/2 to 1 inch bits and add to stock (can be hand torn too). Remove
palate from tofu the slice as reasonably even as a kid can to about 1/2 inch
thick (show him how to use a finger joint for this) then slice that down to
strips and add as much as seems right to the stock (put rest back in the
fridge). Let simmer and serve.

If tofu isnt a good one for him, try small sliced sausage bits in it's place
or some cooked bacon (warning to non-OZ and OZ folks, OZ bacon is NOT like
USA Bacon although it is used like it. Quite a different flavor).

Old 01-02-2009, 03:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Horry" wrote in message

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant to
cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

Thanks!

I call bullshit.
Baking a decent cake requires skills that should have been acquired after
learning ones way around a kitchen, where hot liquids, sharp knives, and
open flames are a given. My kids could boil water for tea, use a
pocketknife, and were safe with a campfire at age eight or so.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Horry" wrote:

Has anyone tried kangaroo meat cheesesteaks? A quick google search
didn't uncover anything... (AFAIK, cheesesteaks aren't particularly
common down here).

Yes, at least that's what I would have called it. A meal in Darwin. I
forget what *they* called'em though. They were fast cooked thin meat bits
layered on a toasted long bun with white cheeses in there and grilled
onions.

Same place that had the warning sign for us USA types that the 'Hamburgers'
were just that. Ham steaks on a burger bun grin. Right side of the
street by the big baobob tree with the Possum-looking family living in it.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 03:10:39 +0000, Administrator wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 01:22:15 +0000, Horry wrote:

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and
I'd like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant
to cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

The kid is 12 years old and can't handle hot liquids or naked flames?

He's probably quite capable of handling hot liquids and naked flames.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:28:33 -0500, dejablues wrote:

"Horry" wrote in message

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and
I'd like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant
to cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

Thanks!

I call bullshit.

My God this is a strange group...

Baking a decent cake requires skills that should have been acquired
after learning ones way around a kitchen, where hot liquids, sharp
knives, and open flames are a given.

They're not a "given" when the kitchen is being used for baking cakes.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Horry" wrote in message

Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
prepare?

At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and
I'd like to expand his repertoire.

Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant
to cook things he doesn't like to eat

Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
those things).

Thanks!

I call bullshit.

My God this is a strange group...

Baking a decent cake requires skills that should have been acquired
after learning ones way around a kitchen, where hot liquids, sharp
knives, and open flames are a given.

They're not a "given" when the kitchen is being used for baking cakes.

What sort of a kitchen is it, then? An Easy-Bake Oven, perhaps? A remedial
kitchen? One that has no sink, no hot water, no cooktop, no utensils, no
heat source?