Yuriy Pragin

Default Kids and tea

My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees a cup
in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question is maybe it's
too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?
Rick Chappell

A Russian boy too young to drink tea? Bah! Has capitalist decadence
taken its toll already?

Now that that's settled: when does he get vodka?

Apologies if I have incorrectly guessed your nationality. If you're
actually from Utah then yes he's too young to drink tea.

And note that I'm a proud descendent of Zeusel Chepelevsky, who no
doubt proudly drank samovar-brewed tea from a glass cup with a chunk
of rock sugar held between his teeth.

Yuriy Pragin > wrote:
> My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees a cup
> in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question is maybe it's
> too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?

Nosdrovya,

Rick.

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Yuriy Pragin rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees
> a cup in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question
> is maybe it's too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?

I'm in the same pot, myself - 1.5 year old son, loves drinking my
tea.

Personally, I figure anything that's good for me is good for him.
But I steer him away from my afternoon or early evening cup.
Caffeine tends to mess up naptime and bed time.

Also, I don't add any sugar to anything I serve him.

--
Derek

"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of sXXXch, or the
right of the people peaceably to XXXemble, and to peXXXion the
government for a redress of grievances."
--but your ISP might.
Blues Lyne

"Derek" > wrote in message
> While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Yuriy Pragin rolled
> initiative and posted the following:
>
> > My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees
> > a cup in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question
> > is maybe it's too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?

> I'm in the same pot, myself - 1.5 year old son, loves drinking my
> tea.
>
> Personally, I figure anything that's good for me is good for him.
> But I steer him away from my afternoon or early evening cup.
> Caffeine tends to mess up naptime and bed time.
>
> Also, I don't add any sugar to anything I serve him.
>

> --
> Derek

My son is now 17 month old and I let him have tastes of my green teas,
mostly because they are cooler tempwise. Sometimes he can't get enough and
sometimes he has a couple of sips and doesn't want any more. He also enjoys
drinking barley tea, so most often I'll give him a cup of that if I'm having
some tea. Doesn't seem like the tea should be a problem as long as they
aren't getting too much caffeine.

Blues

Tee King

Cambric Tea
NOUN: A drink for children, made of hot water, milk, sugar, and
usually a small amount of tea.

In other words, a weak tea, with probably equal parts tea and milk.
You can omit the sugar if he prefers it without as it is. I gave my
sons Cambric Tea while they were growing up, and eventually (when they
were 12 years old or so) decreased the amount of milk until they were
drinking it the way I prepare it for myself. As young adults (ages 21
and 17), they've not suffered any ill effects. They will usually
order iced tea as opposed to a soft drink when eating out, and neither
like the taste of coffee...they prefer a well-made hot cuppa.

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

Space Cowboy

I wouldn't worry about the tea. It is the pop, candy, junk food. I
grew up in the south and I can remember my first glass of ice tea
before I could walk. If you could hold it in your hands without
spilling it was on your high chair.

Jim

(Yuriy Pragin) wrote in message . com>...
> My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees a cup
> in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question is maybe it's
> too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?

lw

I remember my mom giving us that and that's exactly what she called it-
canmbric tea. It has almost NO tea in it- just enough to color and make the
kid feel like they are part of the tea party. It's sweet. Much better than
them drinking Mountain Dew or getting hold of Coke or Jolt cola. lw

Michael Ryan

(Yuriy Pragin) wrote in message . com>...
> My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees a cup
> in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question is maybe it's
> too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?

Hey, Yuri

Only one thing to worry about letting him drink Puerh is that it
digests the food in the stomach fast. This leads to overeating or not
enough weight gain. If you drink Puerh throughout the day you might
notice you got the munchies more this is because that breakfast you
ate digested faster then normal. If you drink Puerh within about 30
min of a meal it helps digest the food faster not allowing the fats to
store. This is good if you want to lose a little weight but maybe not
if you are a 1.5 year old. I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old the 3
year old in the past had a mediocre appetite Puerh fixed this problem
(puerh is a common tea for appetite problems in TCM) .

Both of my Girls wanted tea real bad but the more I told them no the
more they wanted it, one day we gave in and let them drink it, it only
took about 5 tries (over a few days) of tea for them to lose the
curiosity. One other thing mentioned is caffeine, did you now that
according to the one of the biggest and best Chinese Tea Dictionaries
the Wild Tee Uncooked Puerh was the highest in caffeine and non wild
tree uncooked Puerh was second.

As for the caffeine thing I am not going to open up a can of worms
about that but when I get more time I will list the caffeine contest
of common Chinese teas.
Tom

>when I get more time I will list the caffeine contest
>of common Chinese teas.

That would be great!

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance

RJP

Yuriy Pragin wrote:

> My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees a cup
> in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question is maybe it's
> too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?

From an article I read on tea:

"Don't give much tea to kids. Tea "chelates" iron,
removing it from the body. That may help combat chronic
disease but can cause anemia in young people."

Randy
lw

"Diane L. Schirf" > wrote in
message hlink.net...

snip

> Actually, I doubt you would find an article saying the opposite. Tannins
> do remove tea from the body.

snip

ooh ooh- try that one again. A definite case of tanglefinger.. lw

Natarajan Krishnaswami

On 26 Feb 2004 04:12:49 -0800, Michael Ryan > wrote:
> As for the caffeine thing I am not going to open up a can of worms
> about that

I asked a pediatrician about caffeine and kids once, and he said he
didn't see many problems associated with caffeine in his patients,
aside from a preponderance of obesity, and later diabetes, in
soda-drinking kids. (Un- or lightly sweetened tea seems like it'd be
a better choice than soda or juice in that regard.)

N.

chrysis

I would recommend you ask the pediatrician - my daughter (19 mos) has
been drinking tea with me for maybe 4 months; our Dr. told us the same
thing about the iron, so she only gets a little bit every couple of
days.

I would also ask your Dr about the caffeine - when my brother was a
child, my parents were told to give him caffeine because he was
considered "hyperactive." I guess you never really know about these
things until you ask....

-K

RJP > wrote in message >...
> Yuriy Pragin wrote:
> >
> > My 1.5 year old son loves drinking uncooked puerh. When he sees a cup
> > in my hands he right away climes on my lap. The question is maybe it's
> > too early to drink tea at his age? Any ideas?

> From an article I read on tea:
>
> "Don't give much tea to kids. Tea "chelates" iron,
> removing it from the body. That may help combat chronic
> disease but can cause anemia in young people."
>

> Randy

Natarajan Krishnaswami

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:53:50 -0600, RJP > wrote:
> "Don't give much tea to kids. Tea "chelates" iron,
> removing it from the body. That may help combat chronic
> disease but can cause anemia in young people."

Perhaps... but some results suggest that iron-deficiency anemia still
correlates more strongly with iron-deficient diets than tea
consumption:

From <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=886273 5&dopt=Abstract>,

"The results demonstrate that both black and green teas and a green
tea polyphenol extract do not represent a risk to animals consuming
the beverages as their sole fluid intake with respect to iron
availability, although the interactions with manganese deserve
further study."

N.