Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Disabled Veterans National Foundation.

Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.

I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
are they trying to do?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 10:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
> with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.
>
> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
> are they trying to do?

Need you ask? They're trying to line their own pocketbooks. A
negligible amount of anything you might donate goes to any of those
Veterans. Charities that send out notepads, address labels, etc. are
spending more money to line their own pockets than they are to help the
people they allegedly claim to represent. Just say NO.

If you want to donate to Veterans, contact a local source. There is
probably a VA hospital in your area.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 22:57:03 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
>Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
>with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
>The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.
>
>I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>are they trying to do?

The admin etc. are maintaining their little fiefdom and respective
jobs/incomes. Quite typical of charities in this day and age and why I
keep my charity work strictly local, with local people I know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder with
> an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.
>
> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What are
> they trying to do?

Hmmm... Interesting! I don't think I have heard of them. I have
occasionally gotten a phone call from someone wanting money for disabled
Vets. I listen only long enough for them to get to the part (and they
always do) about the poor Vets not getting the money that they deserve.
Then I agree and say that the VA still owes us money. That's when they
quickly hang up. Ha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 10:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
> are they trying to do?

There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/18/2014 10:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>> are they trying to do?
>>

> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

Some of them send those nickels in the packets, I don't understand that.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 01:02:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 10/18/2014 10:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> > with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
> > are they trying to do?
> >

> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

Same deal with church of the Reverend X... another non-profit scam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 1:53 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 01:02:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 10/18/2014 10:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>>> are they trying to do?
>>>

>> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

> Same deal with church of the Reverend X... another non-profit scam.

I was surprised to learn that a number of the local fundamentalist
churches are legal entities in the form of numbered companies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:19:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-10-19 1:53 AM, sf wrote:

> >> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

> > Same deal with church of the Reverend X... another non-profit scam.
> >

> I was surprised to learn that a number of the local fundamentalist
> churches are legal entities in the form of numbered companies.

What's a numbered company?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 9:36 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:19:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Same deal with church of the Reverend X... another non-profit scam.
>>>

>> I was surprised to learn that a number of the local fundamentalist
>> churches are legal entities in the form of numbered companies.

> What's a numbered company?

It is an incorporated company. Corporations can have registered names or
can have a number assigned to them by the government. They are
registered as corporations. It might be 1234567 Ontario Inc, or 9876543
Canada Inc for official purposes, but be doing business under another
name. The Doing Business As (DBA) is common in the US and Canada. In
the cases of the churches I dealt with, those that were numbered
companies were legally incorporated companies operating as numbered
companies but dba FITB Church Name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 10/18/2014 10:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>>> are they trying to do?
>>>

>> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

> Some of them send those nickels in the packets, I don't understand that.
>
> Cheri

They are nickel and diming you to death

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2014 9:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
> with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.
>
> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
> are they trying to do?

Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 10:26 AM, Matt Ferrari wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

>> Some of them send those nickels in the packets, I don't understand that.
>>
>> Cheri

> They are nickel and diming you to death

Heh. I just keep the nickel and spend it. They don't get a dime back.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 10:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>> are they trying to do?
>>

> Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
> every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
> covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)

I guess the point of it is that they are exploiting people like you
would feel an obligation to disabled veterans. You should Google the
"charity" and see what has been reported about them. It seems that
Disabled Veterans National Foundation has raised millions and millions
of dollars, which donors thought was being spent on programs for disable
veterans, and almost all the money is being spend on fund raising.
Almost nothing is going the the disabled veterans. In other words, it's
basically a scam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 10:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 9:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
>> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
>> with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
>> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in
>> capabilities.
>>
>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>> are they trying to do?
>>

> Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
> every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
> covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)

There are a few organizations using the Veterans name. Some are OK,
others are not so good. Check them out. I'd much rather help the Vets
than the fund raisers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Matt Ferrari" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

>> Some of them send those nickels in the packets, I don't understand that.
>>
>> Cheri

> They are nickel and diming you to death

LOL, thanks for the laugh.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
> with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.
>
> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
> are they trying to do?

Just charity leaches much like the united way criminals. It seems it's
the trendy liberal thing to do to corruptly leach off of charity while
stroking your ego pretending you are somehow helping people with the
10-15% you actually use for charitable work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:03:22 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-10-19 9:36 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:19:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> I was surprised to learn that a number of the local fundamentalist
> >> churches are legal entities in the form of numbered companies.

> > What's a numbered company?
> >

> It is an incorporated company. Corporations can have registered names or
> can have a number assigned to them by the government. They are
> registered as corporations. It might be 1234567 Ontario Inc, or 9876543
> Canada Inc for official purposes, but be doing business under another
> name. The Doing Business As (DBA) is common in the US and Canada. In
> the cases of the churches I dealt with, those that were numbered
> companies were legally incorporated companies operating as numbered
> companies but dba FITB Church Name.

At least they are paying taxes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:55:26 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-10-19 10:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
> >> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> >> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
> >> are they trying to do?
> >>

> > Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
> > every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
> > covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)
> >

> I guess the point of it is that they are exploiting people like you
> would feel an obligation to disabled veterans. You should Google the
> "charity" and see what has been reported about them. It seems that
> Disabled Veterans National Foundation has raised millions and millions
> of dollars, which donors thought was being spent on programs for disable
> veterans, and almost all the money is being spend on fund raising.
> Almost nothing is going the the disabled veterans. In other words, it's
> basically a scam.

I looked up the one that advertises the most around here. It could be
better, but it's not bad
http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ry&orgid=12842
OTOH: I've never heard of the top rated (probably because they don't
advertise). http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html#veterans

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:03:22 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > On 2014-10-19 9:36 AM, sf wrote:
> > > On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:19:53 -0400, Dave Smith

> > > What's a numbered company?
> > >

> > It is an incorporated company. Corporations can have registered names or
> > can have a number assigned to them by the government. They are
> > registered as corporations. It might be 1234567 Ontario Inc, or 9876543
> > Canada Inc for official purposes, but be doing business under another
> > name. The Doing Business As (DBA) is common in the US and Canada. In
> > the cases of the churches I dealt with, those that were numbered
> > companies were legally incorporated companies operating as numbered
> > companies but dba FITB Church Name.

> At least they are paying taxes!

That's the theory. One wonders how well they are audited for accounting
irregularities though. The key thing it that these for profit
church-esque businesses would not qualify for the usual religious entity
tax exempt status due to their political activities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:57:03 PM UTC-7, James Silverton wrote:

> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
> with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.

Old folks have limited vision. But I do miss the miniature license
plates that that one disabled vets' group used to send out.

The charity-printed address labels almost drove "Walter Drake" out
of business.

> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
> are they trying to do?

Try these (ratings from charitynavigator.org):

DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Charitable Service Trust - KY 91.25 4 stars
Wounded Warrior Project - FL 84.39 3 stars
Fisher House Foundation - MD 99.62 4 stars
Move America Forward - CA 44.32 0 stars
Special Operations Warrior Foundation - FL 98.96 4 stars

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:24:02 AM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:

> Just charity leaches much like the united way criminals. It seems it's
> the trendy liberal thing to do to corruptly leach off of charity while
> stroking your ego pretending you are somehow helping people with the
> 10-15% you actually use for charitable work.

Huh? The opposite is true.

United Ways typically deliver over 80% of what they raise to the programs
you think you're giving to, with 8% of your funds going to fundraising,
and another 8% or so going to salaries and rent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:24:02 AM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:
>

>> Just charity leaches much like the united way criminals. It seems it's
>> the trendy liberal thing to do to corruptly leach off of charity while
>> stroking your ego pretending you are somehow helping people with the
>> 10-15% you actually use for charitable work.

> Huh? The opposite is true.
>
> United Ways typically deliver over 80% of what they raise to the programs
> you think you're giving to, with 8% of your funds going to fundraising,
> and another 8% or so going to salaries and rent.

But they, at least in the past, used strong arm techniques at the workplace
to get their donations. And there was scandal in at least one of their local
outfits. And they ban donations to groups based on UW's political agenda.
Best to just give to the specific charity you want, rather than run it
through a clearinghouse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:24:02 AM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:
>>

>>> Just charity leaches much like the united way criminals. It seems it's
>>> the trendy liberal thing to do to corruptly leach off of charity while
>>> stroking your ego pretending you are somehow helping people with the
>>> 10-15% you actually use for charitable work.

>> Huh? The opposite is true.
>>
>> United Ways typically deliver over 80% of what they raise to the programs
>> you think you're giving to, with 8% of your funds going to fundraising,
>> and another 8% or so going to salaries and rent.

> But they, at least in the past, used strong arm techniques at the
> workplace to get their donations. And there was scandal in at least one of
> their local outfits. And they ban donations to groups based on UW's
> political agenda. Best to just give to the specific charity you want,
> rather than run it through a clearinghouse.

Yes, they used to force you to donate by taking it out of your check, but
that was a long time ago, might be different now but that always left a bad
taste in my mouth for the organization.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:24:02 AM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:
> >

> >> Just charity leaches much like the united way criminals. It seems it's
> >> the trendy liberal thing to do to corruptly leach off of charity while
> >> stroking your ego pretending you are somehow helping people with the
> >> 10-15% you actually use for charitable work.

> > Huh? The opposite is true.
> >
> > United Ways typically deliver over 80% of what they raise to the programs
> > you think you're giving to, with 8% of your funds going to fundraising,
> > and another 8% or so going to salaries and rent.

> But they, at least in the past, used strong arm techniques at the workplace
> to get their donations. And there was scandal in at least one of their local
> outfits. And they ban donations to groups based on UW's political agenda.
> Best to just give to the specific charity you want, rather than run it
> through a clearinghouse.

Exactly, as corrupt as they get, and the strong arm coercion stuff is
not at all in their past.

The UN World Food Program has something like 9% overhead, as an example
of what a charity's overhead should look like. That 8% the corrupt UW is
scraping off funds their execs lavish offices and salaries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
> >
> > > wrote in message

> >> Huh? The opposite is true.
> >>
> >> United Ways typically deliver over 80% of what they raise to the programs
> >> you think you're giving to, with 8% of your funds going to fundraising,
> >> and another 8% or so going to salaries and rent.

> > But they, at least in the past, used strong arm techniques at the
> > workplace to get their donations. And there was scandal in at least one of
> > their local outfits. And they ban donations to groups based on UW's
> > political agenda. Best to just give to the specific charity you want,
> > rather than run it through a clearinghouse.

> Yes, they used to force you to donate by taking it out of your check, but
> that was a long time ago, might be different now but that always left a bad
> taste in my mouth for the organization.

They still do that kind of scam, and they wine and dine company execs to
meet fundraising goals. To this day they still try to get everyone to
"acknowledge" the "campaign", something I still refuse to do, so the
execs at my company never meet their "goals". **** the corrupt UW.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
>> every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
>> covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)
>>

> There are a few organizations using the Veterans name. Some are OK,
> others are not so good. Check them out. I'd much rather help the Vets
> than the fund raisers.

I addressed this sort of issue recently and commented that I have soured
on charities in general because they seem to have created a business
that is more actively engaged in fund raising than they are in helping
their causes. I donated to the Cancer Society and ended up getting beg
letters from societies for cancer of just about ever part of the body.
Make a donation to a charity in memory of a deceased friend and they
don't stop hassling you for more.

In this case, the "charity" is blatantly playing on patriotism, loyalty
to our vets and to the guilt some feel about the plight of wounded vets.
The sad thing is that they are not the only charity for vets that
scores badly in this regard. It is also surprising that we have not
heard more about it from official veterans groups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/10/2014 11:00 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-10-19 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>>> Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
>>> every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
>>> covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)
>>>

>> There are a few organizations using the Veterans name. Some are OK,
>> others are not so good. Check them out. I'd much rather help the Vets
>> than the fund raisers.

> I addressed this sort of issue recently and commented that I have soured
> on charities in general because they seem to have created a business
> that is more actively engaged in fund raising than they are in helping
> their causes. I donated to the Cancer Society and ended up getting beg
> letters from societies for cancer of just about ever part of the body.
> Make a donation to a charity in memory of a deceased friend and they
> don't stop hassling you for more.
>
> In this case, the "charity" is blatantly playing on patriotism, loyalty
> to our vets and to the guilt some feel about the plight of wounded vets.
> The sad thing is that they are not the only charity for vets that
> scores badly in this regard. It is also surprising that we have not
> heard more about it from official veterans groups.

If a Vet is disabled or needs help because of service to his country,
THE GOVERNMENT should look after him!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 11:29 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:03:22 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-10-19 9:36 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:19:53 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> What's a numbered company?
>>>

>> It is an incorporated company. Corporations can have registered names or
>> can have a number assigned to them by the government. They are
>> registered as corporations. It might be 1234567 Ontario Inc, or 9876543
>> Canada Inc for official purposes, but be doing business under another
>> name. The Doing Business As (DBA) is common in the US and Canada. In
>> the cases of the churches I dealt with, those that were numbered
>> companies were legally incorporated companies operating as numbered
>> companies but dba FITB Church Name.

> At least they are paying taxes!

No. They are non profit charitable institutions, so these corporations
get the same tax breaks that other churches get. They can receive
charitable donations and issue tax receipts for those donations.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-19 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> There are a few organizations using the Veterans name. Some are OK,
> others are not so good. Check them out. I'd much rather help the Vets
> than the fund raisers.

Maybe I can add a rant about veterans. I do have a lot of respect for
our fighting men and women, and even more for those who get wounded. I
am getting a little concerned about some of the claims for PTSD that are
coming out these days, and the call for services for ALL veterans.

It seems that a lot of people in certain professions are falling back on
the PTSD. Cops, firemen, EMTs, like they are the only ones who face
stress on job. It started off as a syndrome for those who had been
subjected to the concussive force of explosions. In recent cases, a
female RCMP officer claimed PTSD resulting from sexual harassment by her
supervisors. A soldier in a support role in Afghanistan claimed his was
the result of the trauma he experienced when people in his base would go
out on patrol and come back dead or wounded. It didn't even happen to
him. For some reason, we are expected not to dare to question their
claims because they are somehow sacred in our society.

Then there is the issue of veterans benefits. There was a call for free
university or college education for all veterans. While all officers are
university graduates, the others probably would not have joined the
military if they had been able to get into university. Moreover, it was
just a job for many. Less than 10% of troops are involved in combat. The
rest are support workers. I cannot equate a combat veteran with a pencil
pushed back at headquarters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:37:40 AM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > On Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:24:02 AM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:

> >> Just charity leaches much like the united way criminals. It seems it's
> >> the trendy liberal thing to do to corruptly leach off of charity while
> >> stroking your ego pretending you are somehow helping people with the
> >> 10-15% you actually use for charitable work.

> > Huh? The opposite is true.

> > United Ways typically deliver over 80% of what they raise to the programs
> > you think you're giving to, with 8% of your funds going to fundraising,
> > and another 8% or so going to salaries and rent.

> But they, at least in the past, used strong arm techniques at the workplace
> to get their donations. And there was scandal in at least one of their local
> outfits. And they ban donations to groups based on UW's political agenda.
> Best to just give to the specific charity you want, rather than run it
> through a clearinghouse.

Any strong-arm techniques come from management, who want the kudos that
come from getting all their workers to contribute. You could contribute
just five bucks if you wanted to. If you work for jerks it's not UW's
fault.

Yes, any time people have control of money there is a chance they will
steal some. Consider Rita Crundwell, who siphoned off $53 million from
the small town of Dixon Illinois, as its comptroller, to support her
horse habit.

We do not condemn all small American towns based on this one incident.

And yes, many UW boards have voted to deny funds to the BSA, because
of its *** exclusion policies. They have taken sides, and the side they
took was to accept gays as full citizens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 10:26 AM, Matt Ferrari wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

>> Some of them send those nickels in the packets, I don't understand that.
>>
>> Cheri

> They are nickel and diming you to death

I think I mentioned that one of those coins jammed my shredder when I
put the unopened envelope in it :-(

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/19/2014 10:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 10/18/2014 9:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
>>> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
>>> with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
>>> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in
>>> capabilities.
>>>
>>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>>> are they trying to do?
>>>

>> Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
>> every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
>> covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)
>>

> There are a few organizations using the Veterans name. Some are OK,
> others are not so good. Check them out. I'd much rather help the Vets
> than the fund raisers.

There are some veteran's charities that get an A rating but it is sad
how many of them receive F.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:19:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-19 1:53 AM, sf wrote:

>>> There is a lot of money to be made running a charity fundraiser.

>> Same deal with church of the Reverend X... another non-profit scam.
>>

>I was surprised to learn that a number of the local fundamentalist
>churches are legal entities in the form of numbered companies.

<shrug>. Australia is listed on the stock exchange as a corporation,
and presumably so are many other nations, the U.S has patented a
strain of ebola virus. Things get weird when you look closely enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:24:02 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> Today, I received a large envelope appealing for money from the Disabled
>> Veterans National Foundation. The envelope enclosed a note pad holder
>> with an attached rather large simple calculator and a ball pen.
>> The calculator was impressive to look at but rather basic in capabilities.
>>
>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>> are they trying to do?
>>

>Just charity leaches much like the united way criminals. It seems it's
>the trendy liberal thing to do to

How is it 'liberal'? I guess you're one of the fools who thinks there
a real difference between liberals and republicans.

>corruptly leach off of charity while
>stroking your ego pretending you are somehow helping people with the
>10-15% you actually use for charitable work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:55:52 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:

> > > workplace to get their donations. And there was scandal in at least one of
> > > their local outfits. And they ban donations to groups based on UW's
> > > political agenda. Best to just give to the specific charity you want,
> > > rather than run it through a clearinghouse.

> > Yes, they used to force you to donate by taking it out of your check, but
> > that was a long time ago, might be different now but that always left a bad
> > taste in my mouth for the organization.

> They still do that kind of scam, and they wine and dine company execs to
> meet fundraising goals. To this day they still try to get everyone to
> "acknowledge" the "campaign", something I still refuse to do, so the
> execs at my company never meet their "goals". **** the corrupt UW.

The company I work for used to be really active in the UW and do all these campaigns for about a week prior to their big drive to encourage employees to donate. And yes, they did all those dinners and receptions for the executives.
But another company bought us several years ago and they are not into charity/UW thing so we never heard anything about donating or any campaigns. But we were never strong armed in the past.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 13:16:43 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-10-19 11:29 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:03:22 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> It is an incorporated company. Corporations can have registered names or
> >> can have a number assigned to them by the government. They are
> >> registered as corporations. It might be 1234567 Ontario Inc, or 9876543
> >> Canada Inc for official purposes, but be doing business under another
> >> name. The Doing Business As (DBA) is common in the US and Canada. In
> >> the cases of the churches I dealt with, those that were numbered
> >> companies were legally incorporated companies operating as numbered
> >> companies but dba FITB Church Name.

> > At least they are paying taxes!
> >

> No. They are non profit charitable institutions, so these corporations
> get the same tax breaks that other churches get. They can receive
> charitable donations and issue tax receipts for those donations.

Okay, that makes more sense to me. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 9:55 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-10-19 10:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>> I looked them up in Charity Watch where I see they received an F rating,
>>> with 85% of the funds they received being spent on fund raising. What
>>> are they trying to do?
>>>

>> Wow! I never bothered to look them up. I give them a small amount
>> every year. My son is a disabled veteran. I suppose that what I give
>> covers the cost of the mailing labels. :-)
>>

> I guess the point of it is that they are exploiting people like you
> would feel an obligation to disabled veterans. You should Google the
> "charity" and see what has been reported about them. It seems that
> Disabled Veterans National Foundation has raised millions and millions
> of dollars, which donors thought was being spent on programs for disable
> veterans, and almost all the money is being spend on fund raising.
> Almost nothing is going the the disabled veterans. In other words, it's
> basically a scam.

No more checks from me!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2014 11:53 AM, Pete C. wrote:

> Pico Rico wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Huh? The opposite is true.
>>>
>>> United Ways typically deliver over 80% of what they raise to the programs
>>> you think you're giving to, with 8% of your funds going to fundraising,
>>> and another 8% or so going to salaries and rent.

>> But they, at least in the past, used strong arm techniques at the workplace
>> to get their donations. And there was scandal in at least one of their local
>> outfits. And they ban donations to groups based on UW's political agenda.
>> Best to just give to the specific charity you want, rather than run it
>> through a clearinghouse.

> Exactly, as corrupt as they get, and the strong arm coercion stuff is
> not at all in their past.
>
> The UN World Food Program has something like 9% overhead, as an example
> of what a charity's overhead should look like. That 8% the corrupt UW is
> scraping off funds their execs lavish offices and salaries.

I would not give a plug nickle to anything that had the United Nations
name attached to it. They just hand over the money to the local
governments, many of whom are corrupt, and the cash you donated thinking
it will feed hungry people will go to buying weapons and teaching small
children how to shoot them.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas