Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT?: Veterans Day (USA)

Thank you for your service.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Veterans Day (USA)

Paco wrote:

> Thank you for your service.

In recognition thereof, when I go home from work in a couple hours I will
make the quintessential military food: SOS.

I'm not sure about the rest of the USA, but the Applebee's around here
offers a free lunch to veterans (and active duty military members) on
Veteran's Day. I presume that a veteran would have to provide some proof of
service (e.g., a DD-214) before getting the deal.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 11/11/2011 5:33 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Paco wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your service.

> In recognition thereof, when I go home from work in a couple hours I will
> make the quintessential military food: SOS.
>
> I'm not sure about the rest of the USA, but the Applebee's around here
> offers a free lunch to veterans (and active duty military members) on
> Veteran's Day. I presume that a veteran would have to provide some proof of
> service (e.g., a DD-214) before getting the deal.

Texas Roadhouse restaurants will for lunch from 11am - 2pm, also.
http://www.texasroadhouse.com/landin...s/veterans-day

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 11, 2:22*am, "Paco" > wrote:
> Thank you for your service.

To all the veterans on this board and everywhere. Thank you.
Words don't mean much but I honor your service and sacrifices for your
nation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Paco wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your service.

> In recognition thereof, when I go home from work in a couple hours I will
> make the quintessential military food: SOS.
>
> I'm not sure about the rest of the USA, but the Applebee's around here
> offers a free lunch to veterans (and active duty military members) on
> Veteran's Day. I presume that a veteran would have to provide some proof of
> service (e.g., a DD-214) before getting the deal.

They'll also take a membership card in one of the veteran's groups.
American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, probably others. Being
active in the Masons I know what happens when I join a lodge. I get
active and spend a lot of time there. I'm already active at lodge so I
know better than join the Legion also.

Home Depot gives a discount if you present such a card and they don't
only do it on Veterans Day or Memorial Day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

To all my Veteran Brothers and Sisters,
past and present, Thank You for
being there.

For those who paid with their lives, We
always remember you.

RM1, Ret, USN 1973-1993

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2011 5:22 AM, Paco wrote:
> Thank you for your service.

I spent a couple years in the reserves when I was young and after
university I came very close to joining the armed forces. I went through
the interviews, the aptitude tests, the medical, more interviews. I was
going to go in direct entry officer. I was accepted. I decided not to
go. I had found something else to do. Within months I was kicking myself
and sometimes I still regret not doing it.

At any rate..... We have just returned from Remembrance Day ceremonies
at the local Legion. I was pleased to see that there was a fair crowd
there this year.

Today my thoughts are with the vets in my family, most of whom are no
longer with us:

My father, who was int he air force, started off on ground crew
servicing Hurricane and Spitfire fighters and later re-mustered to air
crew and flew 19 operations over Europe, was shot down on the last one
but escaped to Sweden, being the first Allied airman to escape from
occupied Denmark.

My Uncle Bill, who was an infantry officer who fought his way through
Sicily and Italy and who was the first Allied soldier to cross the
Hitler Line at Ponto Cuervo.

My Uncle Elmer who was in the navy. I have no idea what he did there. I
know he saw action but he never talked about it.

My Uncle Dave who was barely old enough to enlist in 1945 and trained
as a tanker, Lucky for him and for us, the war was over before he
finished training.

My father in law who served in the army (American) in France in WWI.

My wife's grandfather who fought in the Boer War and then again in WWI,
and was at the Battle of Vimy Ridge.

My wife's Uncle Jock, who was a naval officer on convoy duty, and her
aunt Joy, who was an army ambulance driver. Both are now well into
their 80s and living in a veteran's hospital.

And my uncle Ted who tried to get into the air force but was rejected
due to colour blindness. He spent the war years developing radar systems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:43:02 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Paco wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for your service.

>> In recognition thereof, when I go home from work in a couple hours I will
>> make the quintessential military food: SOS.
>>
>> I'm not sure about the rest of the USA, but the Applebee's around here
>> offers a free lunch to veterans (and active duty military members) on
>> Veteran's Day. I presume that a veteran would have to provide some proof of
>> service (e.g., a DD-214) before getting the deal.

>They'll also take a membership card in one of the veteran's groups.
>American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, probably others. Being
>active in the Masons I know what happens when I join a lodge. I get
>active and spend a lot of time there. I'm already active at lodge so I
>know better than join the Legion also.
>
>Home Depot gives a discount if you present such a card and they don't
>only do it on Veterans Day or Memorial Day.

Good to hear. I just found out that Lowes does, too. I can't
believe I could have taken 10% off everything I've bought at those 2
places in the past decade. Probably would amount to more than I
made in the 4 years I was in the service.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2011 5:22 AM, Paco wrote:

> Thank you for your service.

Thank you from me too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 03:33:34 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I'm not sure about the rest of the USA, but the Applebee's around here
>offers a free lunch to veterans (and active duty military members) on
>Veteran's Day. I presume that a veteran would have to provide some proof of
>service (e.g., a DD-214) before getting the deal.
>
>Bob

I tend to be cynical about that stuff. Are they truly thanking a
veteran for service, or are they figuring that the vet may bring his
family and they sell a few more meals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug wrote:

>> I'm not sure about the rest of the USA, but the Applebee's around here
>> offers a free lunch to veterans (and active duty military members) on
>> Veteran's Day. I presume that a veteran would have to provide some proof
>> of service (e.g., a DD-214) before getting the deal.

> They'll also take a membership card in one of the veteran's groups.
> American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, probably others. Being
> active in the Masons I know what happens when I join a lodge. I get
> active and spend a lot of time there. I'm already active at lodge so I
> know better than join the Legion also.

Didn't someone here recently disclose that the VFW was letting non-veterans
participate in their affairs? (It came about because of Andy's whining that
he couldn't pig out on his local VFW's pancake breakfast, and Andy isn't a
veteran.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:01:24 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 03:33:34 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>

> >I'm not sure about the rest of the USA, but the Applebee's around here
> >offers a free lunch to veterans (and active duty military members) on
> >Veteran's Day. I presume that a veteran would have to provide some proof of
> >service (e.g., a DD-214) before getting the deal.
> >
> >Bob

> I tend to be cynical about that stuff. Are they truly thanking a
> veteran for service, or are they figuring that the vet may bring his
> family and they sell a few more meals.

Does it really matter? Lots of places do free this-es or thats and
they are probably counting on the fact that most people don't like to
dine alone.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:09:08 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Didn't someone here recently disclose that the VFW was letting non-veterans
> participate in their affairs?

Yes and you didn't have to mention Andy in a negative way for me to
remember it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.