Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm eating my words

My peach butter was so tasty and easy to make, I decided to turn the
apples I've had sitting on the counter into apple butter. I thought I
didn't like apple butter, but it turns out I like mine! Zero sugar, a
little lemon juice - this is great! I'm not going to bother adding
any spices to it because I'm so pleased with the deep apple flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2014 12:29 PM, sf wrote:

> My peach butter was so tasty and easy to make, I decided to turn the
> apples I've had sitting on the counter into apple butter. I thought I
> didn't like apple butter, but it turns out I like mine! Zero sugar, a
> little lemon juice - this is great! I'm not going to bother adding
> any spices to it because I'm so pleased with the deep apple flavor.

A person can get turned off of apple butter, by eating some that uses
too many spices. Yours sounds tasty.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I tried to make it in my crockpot, but realized I would not live long enough for it to materialize. I shall continue to pay the 4.99 a jar and be glad it's still available.

Briefly, how did you make yours?

Granny Smiths, btw, were on sale for 1.79 a pound the other day. Yielded a big batch of applesauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 13:25:24 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I tried to make it in my crockpot, but realized I would not live long enough for it to materialize. I shall continue to pay the 4.99 a jar and be glad it's still available.
>
> Briefly, how did you make yours?

I didn't know what I was doing when I made peach butter the other day,
so I started it on the stove and then finished it in my crockpot.
This apple butter was crock pot all the way... mainly on high. The
cover was on while I was cooking the apples so I could mash them and
then I took it off for evaporation purposes. I had thoughts of it
going it all night on low with a handle under one end of the lid to
aid evaporation, but it cooked so quickly (small amount) that didn't
happen.

> Granny Smiths, btw, were on sale for 1.79 a pound the other day. Yielded a big batch of applesauce.

Take some of your applesauce and reduce it down to apple butter! Use
your crock pot and set your timer so you won't forget to stir it.
That's all there is to making fruit butter. Add spices if you wish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:56:42 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> On 10/7/2014 12:29 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > My peach butter was so tasty and easy to make, I decided to turn the
> > apples I've had sitting on the counter into apple butter. I thought I
> > didn't like apple butter, but it turns out I like mine! Zero sugar, a
> > little lemon juice - this is great! I'm not going to bother adding
> > any spices to it because I'm so pleased with the deep apple flavor.

> A person can get turned off of apple butter, by eating some that uses
> too many spices. Yours sounds tasty.

Too many spices had to be it, Becca. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:56:42 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

>On 10/7/2014 12:29 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> My peach butter was so tasty and easy to make, I decided to turn the
>> apples I've had sitting on the counter into apple butter. I thought I
>> didn't like apple butter, but it turns out I like mine! Zero sugar, a
>> little lemon juice - this is great! I'm not going to bother adding
>> any spices to it because I'm so pleased with the deep apple flavor.

>A person can get turned off of apple butter, by eating some that uses
>too many spices. Yours sounds tasty.
>
>Becca

I don't understand spices in apple pie. I make mine without.
Home-style applesauce is the same. No spices in mine.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/10/2014 3:50 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:56:42 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/7/2014 12:29 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> My peach butter was so tasty and easy to make, I decided to turn the
>>> apples I've had sitting on the counter into apple butter. I thought I
>>> didn't like apple butter, but it turns out I like mine! Zero sugar, a
>>> little lemon juice - this is great! I'm not going to bother adding
>>> any spices to it because I'm so pleased with the deep apple flavor.

>> A person can get turned off of apple butter, by eating some that uses
>> too many spices. Yours sounds tasty.
>>
>> Becca

> I don't understand spices in apple pie. I make mine without.
> Home-style applesauce is the same. No spices in mine.
> Janet US

I hate the way that cinnamon creeps into every apple recipe as well.
It's just overdone. At school, the cooks always put a lot of cloves in
the apple pie, I didn't like that either.
The recipe for an apple/pear galette I made last year for Thanksgiving
had 1tsp of cinnamon in it so I cut it beck to about a 1/4tsp. That
amount really worked well with the maple syrup I drizzled over it when
it came out of the oven. I'll be making it for Thanksgiving again this
coming weekend.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ned Ned is offline

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 10:29:33 -0700, sf wrote:

> My peach nutter was so tasty and easy to make, I decided to turn the
> nipples I've had sitting on the counter into apple nutter. I thought I
> didn't like apple nutter, but it turns out I like mine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 10:29:33 -0700, sf > wrote:

>My peach butter was so tasty and easy to make, I decided to turn the
>apples I've had sitting on the counter into apple butter. I thought I
>didn't like apple butter, but it turns out I like mine! Zero sugar, a
>little lemon juice - this is great! I'm not going to bother adding
>any spices to it because I'm so pleased with the deep apple flavor.

Sounds more like apple sauce but call it what you want.
--
Susan N.

Words Brooklyn1 General Cooking 3 10-01-2015 04:33 AM
A Few Words About Bacon Mack A. Damia General Cooking 2 08-05-2009 02:44 AM
sweet words ساره دلع General Cooking 1 03-06-2007 03:46 AM
Code Words Sheldon General Cooking 0 07-09-2006 10:44 PM
Words Sheldon General Cooking 1 18-01-2006 09:09 AM