Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Changing Lancets

I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was
not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
prove that it is not necessary.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf

http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/

http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet

http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html

There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 04:58:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was
>not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>prove that it is not necessary.
>
>http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>
>http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>
>http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>
>http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>
>There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

Prove, prove, prove.

Are you doing math or living life? Proofs are for math. In life I
operate on evidence.

Save $$ by not using a fresh lancet for each test, I don't care. It's
your life and your health.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was

not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
prove that it is not necessary.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf

http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/

http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet

http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html

There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.

Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.

Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.

Cherry

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 5:51 AM, Cherry wrote:
> On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was

> not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
> of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
> prove that it is not necessary.
>>

> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>

> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>

> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>

> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>

> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>

> Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>
> Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>
> Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>
> Cherry
>
> Cherry

This is something to discuss with the patient's doctor, not on a
newsgroup. If someone has diabetes, that person should be seeing a
doctor about 3-4 time a year for a recheck (e.g., an A1C test). That
person should also provide the doctor with a log of test results.

I have type-2 diabetes. My doctor said that, if I wash my hands (or
whatever body part from which I draw a blood drop) before testing, I can
use the same lancet until it gets dull. I generally use each lancet
twice.

--
David E. Ross

Visit "Cooking with David" at
<http://www.rossde.com/cooking/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was
>not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>prove that it is not necessary.
>
> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>
> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>
> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>
> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>
> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at all
necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to dull,
usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change everytime they
test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message
On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was

not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
prove that it is not necessary.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf

http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/

http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet

http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html

There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that
anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.

Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the
time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper
reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your finger
everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart from which,
why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so cheap to buy that
there is no need to re-use them.

Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.

Cherry

========

I don't know anyone who changes their lancets after each use, and I do know
several diabetics including type 1's but as I said before, it's up to the
individual.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 05:51:21 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
wrote:

>On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was

>not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>prove that it is not necessary.
>>

>http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>

>http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>

>http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>

>http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>

>There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>

>Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>
>Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>
>Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>
>Cherry
>
>Cherry

I saw a microscope pic of syringe tips after 1,2,3 and finally 6
injections, and it's amazed me how on a microscopic scale, you can see
how the original very sharp and pointed tip gets bent over more and
more with each injection!!

You want as pain free poke as you can get? Used a brand new lancet!
And miss all the nerve endings if you can.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 05:51:21 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it
>>> was

>>not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>>of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>>prove that it is not necessary.
>>>

>>http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>>

>>http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>>

>>http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>>

>>http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>>

>>There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>>

>>Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that
>>anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>>
>>Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
>>because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the
>>time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper
>>reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your
>>finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart
>>from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so
>>cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>>
>>Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>>
>>Cherry
>>
>>Cherry

> I saw a microscope pic of syringe tips after 1,2,3 and finally 6
> injections, and it's amazed me how on a microscopic scale, you can see
> how the original very sharp and pointed tip gets bent over more and
> more with each injection!!
>
> You want as pain free poke as you can get? Used a brand new lancet!
> And miss all the nerve endings if you can.
>
> John Kuthe...

Actually the sharp ones hurt more IME after 17 years, but the lancet and
needle makers appreciate it for sure.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 7:58:53 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was
>
> not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>
> of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>
> prove that it is not necessary.
>

> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>

> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>

> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>

> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>

> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

Yer in the wrong GROOOP, Bove.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, September 6, 2014 7:58:53 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it
>> was
>>
>> not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test.
>> Unless
>>
>> of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>>
>> prove that it is not necessary.
>>

>> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>

>> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>

>> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>

>> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>

>> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

> Yer in the wrong GROOOP, Bove.

With all these off topics, that could be said for just about anyone.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at all
necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to dull,
usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change everytime they
test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.

Cheri

I'm trying very hard to understand the logic of this. A box of 200 lancets would last you approximately 28 years, will your machine still be working in that time? Probably not, but you will still have unused lancets which in most likelyhood will not work with the newer machines. So the point of not using a clean and sharp lancet everytime is?

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Exactly! At the rate that Julie is using lancets one box will last her 200 years. I'm not getting the point of this.

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 09:20:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 05:51:21 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
>> wrote:

>>>not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>>>of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>>>prove that it is not necessary.
>>>>
>>>http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>>>
>>>http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>>>
>>>http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>>>
>>>http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>>>
>>>There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>>>

>>>Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that
>>>anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>>>
>>>Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
>>>because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the
>>>time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper
>>>reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your
>>>finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart
>>>from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so
>>>cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>>>
>>>Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>>>
>>>Cherry
>>>
>>>Cherry

>> I saw a microscope pic of syringe tips after 1,2,3 and finally 6
>> injections, and it's amazed me how on a microscopic scale, you can see
>> how the original very sharp and pointed tip gets bent over more and
>> more with each injection!!
>>
>> You want as pain free poke as you can get? Used a brand new lancet!
>> And miss all the nerve endings if you can.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Actually the sharp ones hurt more IME after 17 years, but the lancet and
>needle makers appreciate it for sure.
>
>Cheri

I cannot and will question your report of your perception of pain,
but I cannot imagine why.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 7:06 AM, Cherry wrote:

> A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at all
> necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to dull,
> usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change everytime they
> test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.
>
> Cheri
>
> I'm trying very hard to understand the logic of this. A box of 200 lancets would last you approximately 28 years, will your machine still be working in that time? Probably not, but you will still have unused lancets which in most likelyhood will not work with the newer machines. So the point of not using a clean and sharp lancet everytime is?
>
> Cherry

You're probably over-thinking this. People don't change their lancets
because it doesn't seem to make a difference if you change it every
single time or occasionally. You'd probably never see it done in a
clinical setting but I believe that it's a common practice for personal
use. As it goes, I don't clean off my finger with alcohol either. OTOH,
8 months of using the same needle seems excessive. I'd hate to get stuck
with that point!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Good news this morning. Hubby repeated yesterday's breakfast that put
him in the mid 180s, but eliminated the half apple and he tested at
173. Not great, but better than yesterday. He's always comfortably
under when it's fruit, eggs and toast - so now he knows not to combine
fruit and potato for breakfast. This is great for him because he was
missing hash browns. It doesn't mean he's going to eat potatoes every
morning and he won't eat more than what amounts to one official
serving (which is a very small volume), it just means that he'll be
able to eat them every so often and not feel deprived. Yay!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 6:32:56 PM UTC+1, sf wrote:
> Good news this morning. Hubby repeated yesterday's breakfast that put

him in the mid 180s, but eliminated the half apple and he tested at 173. Not great, but better than yesterday. He's always comfortably under when it's fruit, eggs and toast - so now he knows not to combine fruit and potato for breakfast. This is great for him because he was missing hash browns. It doesn't mean he's going to eat potatoes every morning and he won't eat more than what amounts to one official serving (which is a very small volume), it just means that he'll be able to eat them every so often and not feel deprived. Yay!

--

I'm pleased for him and that you found a way to work the potatoes into his diet. The idea that you have to deprive yourself of something you enjoy is never good.

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message

A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at all
necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to dull,
usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change everytime they
test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.

Cheri

I'm trying very hard to understand the logic of this. A box of 200 lancets
would last you approximately 28 years, will your machine still be working in
that time? Probably not, but you will still have unused lancets which in
most likelyhood will not work with the newer machines. So the point of not
using a clean and sharp lancet everytime is?

Cherry

I'm not really here saying what others should or shouldn't do Cherry, just
to say what I do. I have a couple of different lancet devices, an Acu-Chek
and a Soft-Clix, the Soft-Clix is still working after 17 years, and the
Acu-Chek is several years old too. They both came with free lancets, and my
friend gave me about 20 for the Soft-Clix, so I have never bought lancets
and as I said, I change only when they get dull which varies with testing,
but usually 7-8 months with one lancet.

A box of 200 would last me several lifetimes. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message

Exactly! At the rate that Julie is using lancets one box will last her 200
years. I'm not getting the point of this.

Cherry

=======

The point is, there's no need for it unless one wants to do it. Nothing
more.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2014 7:06 AM, Cherry wrote:
>>
>> A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at
>> all
>> necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to
>> dull,
>> usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change everytime
>> they
>> test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> I'm trying very hard to understand the logic of this. A box of 200
>> lancets would last you approximately 28 years, will your machine still be
>> working in that time? Probably not, but you will still have unused
>> lancets which in most likelyhood will not work with the newer machines.
>> So the point of not using a clean and sharp lancet everytime is?
>>
>> Cherry
>>

> You're probably over-thinking this. People don't change their lancets
> because it doesn't seem to make a difference if you change it every single
> time or occasionally. You'd probably never see it done in a clinical
> setting but I believe that it's a common practice for personal use. As it
> goes, I don't clean off my finger with alcohol either. OTOH, 8 months of
> using the same needle seems excessive. I'd hate to get stuck with that
> point!

That's the point of changing it when it does begin to hurt, then you know
it's time. That being said, since this isn't a diabetes newsgroup, I will
leave the changing of lancets to however people want to do it and leave the
subject behind. Happy sticking! :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cherry > wrote:

> Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that
> anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>
> Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
> because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the time
> of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper
> reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your finger
> everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart from which,
> why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so cheap to buy that
> there is no need to re-use them.
>
> Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>
> Cherry
>

> I saw a microscope pic of syringe tips after 1,2,3 and finally 6 injections,
> and it's amazed me how on a microscopic scale, you can see how the original
> very sharp and pointed tip gets bent over more and more with each injection!!
>
> You want as pain free poke as you can get? Used a brand new lancet! And
> miss all the nerve endings if you can.
>
> John Kuthe...
>
> Exactly! At the rate that Julie is using lancets one box will last her 200
> years. I'm not getting the point of this.
>
> Cherry

she's saving money that is used to pay for her daughters long showers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 8:28 AM, Cheri wrote:

> That's the point of changing it when it does begin to hurt, then you
> know it's time. That being said, since this isn't a diabetes newsgroup,
> I will leave the changing of lancets to however people want to do it and
> leave the subject behind. Happy sticking! :-)
>
> Cheri

I'll change it every 4 pokes or so. I don't know why - it's just some
random thing that I do. Pain is not a factor although there probably is
less pain with a new point. The pain varies from none to noticeable. My
guess is that it mostly depends on whether you hit a nerve ending or
not. We need lancets that mark the point of contact so we can map out
our sweet and hot spots. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it was
>>not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>>of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>>prove that it is not necessary.
>>
>> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>
>> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>
>> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>
>> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>
>> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

> A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at
> all necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to
> dull, usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change
> everytime they test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.

Yes. But someone here claimed I was dirty for not changing mine or couldn't
afford to. I was trying to prove to her that this was wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Cherry" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it
>> was

> not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
> of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
> prove that it is not necessary.
>>

> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>

> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>

> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>

> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>

> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>

> Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that
> anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>
> Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
> because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the
> time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper
> reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your
> finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart
> from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so
> cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>
> Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>
> Cherry
>
> ========
>
> I don't know anyone who changes their lancets after each use, and I do
> know several diabetics including type 1's but as I said before, it's up to
> the individual.
>
> Cheri

Yes. I know some people who do because they have the kind of lancing device
that requires them to. I wouldn't get that kind. I don't know of any
medical professionals who say to change each time. In fact they say that it
is better not to. Unless of course testing on someone else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 05:51:21 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it
>>> was

>>not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test. Unless
>>of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>>prove that it is not necessary.
>>>

>>http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>>

>>http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>>

>>http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>>

>>http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>>

>>There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>>

>>Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that
>>anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>>
>>Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
>>because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the
>>time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and proper
>>reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into your
>>finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection. Apart
>>from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are so
>>cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>>
>>Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>>
>>Cherry
>>
>>Cherry

> I saw a microscope pic of syringe tips after 1,2,3 and finally 6
> injections, and it's amazed me how on a microscopic scale, you can see
> how the original very sharp and pointed tip gets bent over more and
> more with each injection!!
>
> You want as pain free poke as you can get? Used a brand new lancet!
> And miss all the nerve endings if you can.
>
> John Kuthe...

With a needle? Agree but if you had to take as many shots at one time as I
did, you just put up with the pain. I don't need to spend 20 minutes
injecting.

As for the lancets? Disagree. New ones hurt me worse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 09:20:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I saw a microscope pic of syringe tips after 1,2,3 and finally 6
>>> injections, and it's amazed me how on a microscopic scale, you can see
>>> how the original very sharp and pointed tip gets bent over more and
>>> more with each injection!!
>>>
>>> You want as pain free poke as you can get? Used a brand new lancet!
>>> And miss all the nerve endings if you can.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>Actually the sharp ones hurt more IME after 17 years, but the lancet and
>>needle makers appreciate it for sure.
>>
>>Cheri

> I cannot and will question your report of your perception of pain,
> but I cannot imagine why.

She's right. Although whatever kind of super skinny needles I use on my
syringes do get bent to hell quite easily. Often I bend them just trying to
get the cap off. Do I use them bent? Yep. I use the minis on my pen and
have never seen those bend. I think the longer the needle, the more likely
it is to bend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message
[...]

Much less painful. No need to waste time changing, or pay money to dispose
of. I don't know how you do it there but here we must use a purchased sharps
container and I have to pay to dispose of it. Before I got my needle
clipper, that thing filled up fast! Now I clip the needles and only have to
pay to dispose of the clipper. I can save up a lot of clippers and once I
eventually get my sharps container full, if I take that in and pay, they
will take the clippers for free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, September 6, 2014 7:58:53 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it
>> was
>>
>> not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test.
>> Unless
>>
>> of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>>
>> prove that it is not necessary.
>>

>> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>

>> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>

>> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>

>> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>

>> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.

> Yer in the wrong GROOOP, Bove.

Somebody in *this* group made a comment to me about this. Which is why I
put it here. I don't think this person goes to the diabetic group and it is
labeled OT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message

A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at all
necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to dull,
usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change everytime they
test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.

Cheri

I'm trying very hard to understand the logic of this. A box of 200 lancets
would last you approximately 28 years, will your machine still be working in
that time? Probably not, but you will still have unused lancets which in
most likelyhood will not work with the newer machines. So the point of not
using a clean and sharp lancet everytime is?

Cherry
---

So? Actually the lancets here do have an expiration date on them. I was
told by someone that it is due to the coating that is put on them. It will
break down after time. I just buy a new box every 3-4 years and put the
unused ones in the sharps container. No way am I going to take the time to
put a new one in. I test many times a day. I also HATE new lancets. They
HURT!

And your lancet is going to be clean. If you had read the links I provided,
today's lancets are much less invasive than they used to be and there is no
reason to change them unless you are testing on someone else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2014 7:06 AM, Cherry wrote:
>>
>> A lot of people do when first starting out then they realize it's not at
>> all
>> necessary unless testing someone else. I change mine when it begins to
>> dull,
>> usually every 7 or 8 months, but if someone wants to change everytime
>> they
>> test, no biggie. Certainly up to the individual.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> I'm trying very hard to understand the logic of this. A box of 200
>> lancets would last you approximately 28 years, will your machine still be
>> working in that time? Probably not, but you will still have unused
>> lancets which in most likelyhood will not work with the newer machines.
>> So the point of not using a clean and sharp lancet everytime is?
>>
>> Cherry
>>

> You're probably over-thinking this. People don't change their lancets
> because it doesn't seem to make a difference if you change it every single
> time or occasionally. You'd probably never see it done in a clinical
> setting but I believe that it's a common practice for personal use. As it
> goes, I don't clean off my finger with alcohol either. OTOH, 8 months of
> using the same needle seems excessive. I'd hate to get stuck with that
> point!

They would have to change in a clinical setting because they are poking
different people. Actually these days all of the ones I have seen in a
clinical setting are disposable in and of themselves. As in lancet and
lancing device, both disposable.

I was told by a former CDE that it was safe to use a needle up to three
times but only in an emergency. But... Because I was using such large
amounts of insulin, I would use the same needle 2-3 times in succession. I
know some people recap and keep using. I would not even attempt to do that
unless for some reason I had no more needles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Good news this morning. Hubby repeated yesterday's breakfast that put
> him in the mid 180s, but eliminated the half apple and he tested at
> 173. Not great, but better than yesterday. He's always comfortably
> under when it's fruit, eggs and toast - so now he knows not to combine
> fruit and potato for breakfast. This is great for him because he was
> missing hash browns. It doesn't mean he's going to eat potatoes every
> morning and he won't eat more than what amounts to one official
> serving (which is a very small volume), it just means that he'll be
> able to eat them every so often and not feel deprived. Yay!

Due to the margin of error with meters, 173 and 180 are pretty much the same
thing. And keep in mind that the body is the most insulin resistant first
thing in the morning. So he may be able to tolerate potatoes later in the
day. Or me may not. Potatoes work for me but I seem to be the odd one out.

As for the fruit, that really varies. For many, things like bananas and
oranges are the worst. And berries are the best. Grapefruit is usually
pretty harmless too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 1:18 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> They would have to change in a clinical setting because they are poking
> different people. Actually these days all of the ones I have seen in a
> clinical setting are disposable in and of themselves. As in lancet and
> lancing device, both disposable.

This sound reasonable.

> I was told by a former CDE that it was safe to use a needle up to three
> times but only in an emergency. But... Because I was using such large
> amounts of insulin, I would use the same needle 2-3 times in
> succession. I know some people recap and keep using. I would not even
> attempt to do that unless for some reason I had no more needles.

Ditto - although I always use new needles. I am not prepared to go that
far.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 09:20:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Actually the sharp ones hurt more IME after 17 years, but the lancet and
>>>needle makers appreciate it for sure.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> I cannot and will question your report of your perception of pain,
>> but I cannot imagine why.

>She's right. Although whatever kind of super skinny needles I use on my
>syringes do get bent to hell quite easily. Often I bend them just trying to
>get the cap off. Do I use them bent? Yep. I use the minis on my pen and
>have never seen those bend. I think the longer the needle, the more likely
>it is to bend.

Of course, but a bent needle does not necessacrily have it's sharp tip
compromized. It's the sharpness of the tip which translates to less
pain for a given injection instance. That and IF you hit a nerve. I
have actually had injections and even blood draws where they did not
hit a nerve! I pay attention, especially being a nurse. Problem is you
cannot determnine IF there's a nerve ending at any particular location
in the skin. Some skin areas have a higher density of nerve endings,
like fingertips. That's why it almost always hurts to get a blood
sample there.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I cannot and will question your report of your perception of pain,
>>> but I cannot imagine why.

>>She's right. Although whatever kind of super skinny needles I use on my
>>syringes do get bent to hell quite easily. Often I bend them just trying
>>get the cap off. Do I use them bent? Yep. I use the minis on my pen and
>>have never seen those bend. I think the longer the needle, the more
>>likely
>>it is to bend.

> Of course, but a bent needle does not necessacrily have it's sharp tip
> compromized. It's the sharpness of the tip which translates to less
> pain for a given injection instance. That and IF you hit a nerve. I
> have actually had injections and even blood draws where they did not
> hit a nerve! I pay attention, especially being a nurse. Problem is you
> cannot determnine IF there's a nerve ending at any particular location
> in the skin. Some skin areas have a higher density of nerve endings,
> like fingertips. That's why it almost always hurts to get a blood
> sample there.

I have not had a bleeding problem since I went off Lantus and switched to
shorter needles. I don't know why but not only did the Lantus burn and
sting, but it could cause bad bleeding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test.
>>> Unless
>>> of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>>> prove that it is not necessary.
>>>>
>>> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>>>
>>> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>>>
>>> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>>>
>>> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>>>
>>> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>>>

>>> Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed
>>> that anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
>>> because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the
>>> time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and
>>> proper reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into
>>> your finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection.
>>> Apart from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are
>>> so cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>>>
>>> Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>>>
>>> Cherry
>>>
>>> Cherry
>>>

>> This is something to discuss with the patient's doctor, not on a
>> newsgroup. If someone has diabetes, that person should be seeing a
>> doctor about 3-4 time a year for a recheck (e.g., an A1C test). That
>> person should also provide the doctor with a log of test results.
>>

> yeah, this.
>
> Why the hell we're talking about this on a food group, I don't understand.
> The diabeeters should be discussed elsewhere.

Why? We have plenty of diabetics here and it was marked OT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, Cheri wrote:
>

>> "Cherry" > wrote in message
>> On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:58:53 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it
>>> was

>> not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test.
>> Unless
>> of course he was testing someone else. So... Here are some links that
>> prove that it is not necessary.
>>>

>> http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articl...s%20health.pdf
>>>

>> http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2005/...nging-lancets/
>>>

>> http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...replace-lancet
>>>

>> http://www.diabetesabc-uk.com/how-of...ancet-t91.html
>>>

>> There are plenty of other links but you get the picture.
>>

>> Firstly, it was not my intention to be nasty. However, I was amazed that
>> anyone could re-use a lancet and for such an extended length of time.
>>
>> Secondly, medical professionals advocate using a fresh lancet everytime
>> because the lancet will pick up whatever is on and in your finger at the
>> time of use. This in itself will stop you from getting a clear and
>> proper reading. Also anything that is on the lancet will be going into
>> your finger everytime you re-use it leaving you liable to infection.
>> Apart from which, why do think they sell them in boxes of 200? They are
>> so cheap to buy that there is no need to re-use them.
>>
>> Thirdly, I have never heard or known of anyone re-using lancets before.
>>
>> Cherry
>>
>> ========
>>
>> I don't know anyone who changes their lancets after each use, and I do
>> know several diabetics including type 1's but as I said before, it's up
>> to the individual.

> I'd think you'd at least wipe them down w/ an alcohol wipe before reuse,
> wouldn't you?
>
> it's just basic hygiene...
> sheeze.

No. That's the last thing you should do. You'll dull them and wear off the
coating. There is no need whatever to do that. They don't even advise for
us to use alcohol on the skin. Dries things out. One time at the Drs.
office with alcohol isn't going to hurt. I'm sure they don't have time
there for us to wash and dry our hands. But at home? That's what we should
do instead of using alcohol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 6:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I looked this up since I got such a nasty reply when I told sf that it
> was not necessary for her husband to change the lancet with each test.

After spending two weeks in the hospital recently, and being poked far
too many times during the day, i've decided to get some lancets that are
meant for only one use. Those in the hospital are much less painful
than my current lancet and they produce a bit more blood than I'm able
to currently.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TGS9W/...I15QMKWNP630CM

OR:

http://goo.gl/3YBVOL

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

DreadfulBitch wrote:

>After spending two weeks in the hospital recently, and being poked far
>too many times during the day, i've decided to get some lancets that are
>meant for only one use. Those in the hospital are much less painful
>than my current lancet and they produce a bit more blood than I'm able
>to currently.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TGS9W/...I15QMKWNP630CM
>
>OR:
>
>http://goo.gl/3YBVOL

Why would anyone want to use a lancet more then once? Even for my
diabetic cat I use hypodermics only once, they are cheap enough since
I've been buying them at Walmart; $18/100, from the Vet $46. The ones
from Walmart are much better quality syringes too.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-33G...100ct/15084052
I hope you're feeling better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 7:53:37 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> DreadfulBitch wrote:
>

> >After spending two weeks in the hospital recently, and being poked far

> >too many times during the day, i've decided to get some lancets that are

> >meant for only one use. Those in the hospital are much less painful

> >than my current lancet and they produce a bit more blood than I'm able

> >to currently.

> >http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TGS9W/...I15QMKWNP630CM

> >OR:

> >http://goo.gl/3YBVOL

> Why would anyone want to use a lancet more then once? Even for my
>
> diabetic cat I use hypodermics only once, they are cheap enough since
>
> I've been buying them at Walmart; $18/100, from the Vet $46. The ones
>
> from Walmart are much better quality syringes too.
>
> http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-33G...100ct/15084052
>
> I hope you're feeling better.

I have to agree. When I was testing my cat's sugar, I always used a fresh lancet and fresh syringe for the insulin. It's not like they cost a fortune, and I sure didn't want to cause him undue pain.

I can't imagine a person using the same 'equibmin' twice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> >After spending two weeks in the hospital recently, and being poked far
>> >too many times during the day, i've decided to get some lancets that are
>> >meant for only one use. Those in the hospital are much less painful
>> >than my current lancet and they produce a bit more blood than I'm able
>> >to currently.

>> >http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TGS9W/...I15QMKWNP630CM
>> >OR:
>> >http://goo.gl/3YBVOL

>> Why would anyone want to use a lancet more then once? Even for my
>> diabetic cat I use hypodermics only once, they are cheap enough since
>> I've been buying them at Walmart; $18/100, from the Vet $46. The ones
>> from Walmart are much better quality syringes too.
>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-33G...100ct/15084052
>> I hope you're feeling better.

>I have to agree. When I was testing my cat's sugar, I always used a fresh lancet and fresh syringe for the insulin. It's not like they cost a fortune, and I sure didn't want to cause him undue pain.
>I can't imagine a person using the same 'equibmin' twice.

I don't test the cat's sugar, every 3 months the Vet does a blood work
up and for five years now the insulin is the same quantity. Today
there are all kinds of electronic devices that people can use to check
for how much insulin to use... they really don't need to use lancets
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 8:39:12 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Why would anyone want to use a lancet more then once? Even for my

> >> diabetic cat I use hypodermics only once, they are cheap enough since

> >> I've been buying them at Walmart; $18/100, from the Vet $46. The ones

> >> from Walmart are much better quality syringes too.

> >> http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-33G...100ct/15084052

> >> I hope you're feeling better.

> >I have to agree. When I was testing my cat's sugar, I always used a fresh lancet and fresh syringe for the insulin. It's not like they cost a fortune, and I sure didn't want to cause him undue pain.

> >I can't imagine a person using the same 'equibmin' twice.

> I don't test the cat's sugar, every 3 months the Vet does a blood work
>
> up and for five years now the insulin is the same quantity. Today
>
> there are all kinds of electronic devices that people can use to check
>
> for how much insulin to use... they really don't need to use lancets

My story had a happy ending. Once I got him OFF the @$#%^@$#% dry food, his sugar fell into the safe range and he was "off the juice". It took about a month to see these results, but we were both pretty darn happy. The insulin was NOT cheap, as you well know.

I changed him to the Friskies patés which were apparently low in carbs.