Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Short Ribs In Red Wine Sauce - Further adventure in Induction

On 9/4/2014 8:13 AM, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 12:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I still have one of those, it sees occasional duty as an ice mallet.

>> It was while pounding ice that I broke the mallet. I'll probably never
>> pound ice again. That's a young man's game anyway.

> LOL!
>
> Yet another tradition done in by through the door icemakers...

Wait a minute... now that's the greatest invention ever by white folks.
Praise the Lord! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 5:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:12:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>> I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_of_beef
>>>
>>> - The plate is the other source of short ribs, used for pot roasting,
>>> and the outside skirt steak, which is used for fajitas.
>>>
>>> If you compare the American beef chart to the UK beef chart, it looks
>>> like our plate is the midsection of where a UK brisket meets a UK
>>> flank, so it is basically the middle third of the two joined parts.

>> Yes, I have seen that, but what do we call it? I have taken charts into
>> butchers before but it wasn't my favourite thing to do. Your charts are
>> different to ours with different names. Most butchers can't be bothered.

> Sorry, I can't help you if the butcher isn't motivated. Maybe Sheila
> has some thoughts on the subject since she's on both sides of the pond
> with some regularity.

I wish I could help - but I get confused about meat names on both sides
of the Atlantic!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 9/3/2014 5:12 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Yes, I have seen that, but what do we call it? I have taken charts into
>>> butchers before but it wasn't my favourite thing to do. Your charts are
>>> different to ours with different names. Most butchers can't be
>>> bothered.

>> Sorry, I can't help you if the butcher isn't motivated. Maybe Sheila
>> has some thoughts on the subject since she's on both sides of the pond
>> with some regularity.
>>

> I wish I could help - but I get confused about meat names on both sides of
> the Atlantic!

Ok that's fine)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 12:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 8:13 AM, Mayo wrote:

>>> It was while pounding ice that I broke the mallet. I'll probably never
>>> pound ice again. That's a young man's game anyway.

>> LOL!
>>
>> Yet another tradition done in by through the door icemakers...

> Wait a minute... now that's the greatest invention ever by white folks.
> Praise the Lord! :-)

LOL!

How you can say that with the electric rates you pay there, oww!

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 12:38 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 9/3/2014 5:12 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Yes, I have seen that, but what do we call it? I have taken charts into
>>> butchers before but it wasn't my favourite thing to do. Your charts are
>>> different to ours with different names. Most butchers can't be
>>> bothered.

>> Sorry, I can't help you if the butcher isn't motivated. Maybe Sheila
>> has some thoughts on the subject since she's on both sides of the pond
>> with some regularity.
>>

> I wish I could help - but I get confused about meat names on both sides
> of the Atlantic!

I knew if I kept digging the UK name for skirt steak would turn up:

http://www.gourmetbritain.com/food-e...bavette-steak/

Bavette Steak
A cheaper cut of beef popular in France, coming from the area we know as
skirt or flank. It's strong on flavour, but weak on tenderness, so needs
to be fried/grilled rare (or thereabouts), or it will become tough.

Tenderising with a meat hammer will help, but shouldn't be overdone, or
you'll lose valuable juices and hence flavour.

(I would never hammer skirt steak for any reason, lime juice suffices)

An overnight soak in a little olive oil will do the trick, if you have time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 12:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 9/3/2014 5:12 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:12:10 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Sorry, I can't help you if the butcher isn't motivated. Maybe Sheila
>>> has some thoughts on the subject since she's on both sides of the pond
>>> with some regularity.
>>>

>> I wish I could help - but I get confused about meat names on both
>> sides of the Atlantic!

> Ok that's fine)

Found it:

http://www.gourmetbritain.com/food-e...bavette-steak/

Bavette Steak
A cheaper cut of beef popular in France, coming from the area we know as
skirt or flank. It's strong on flavour, but weak on tenderness, so needs
to be fried/grilled rare (or thereabouts), or it will become tough.

Tenderising with a meat hammer will help, but shouldn't be overdone, or
you'll lose valuable juices and hence flavour.

An overnight soak in a little olive oil will do the trick, if you have time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/4/2014 12:38 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 9/3/2014 5:12 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:12:10 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Sorry, I can't help you if the butcher isn't motivated. Maybe Sheila
>>> has some thoughts on the subject since she's on both sides of the pond
>>> with some regularity.
>>>

>> I wish I could help - but I get confused about meat names on both sides
>> of the Atlantic!
>>

> I knew if I kept digging the UK name for skirt steak would turn up:
>
> http://www.gourmetbritain.com/food-e...bavette-steak/
>
> Bavette Steak
> A cheaper cut of beef popular in France, coming from the area we know as
> skirt or flank. It's strong on flavour, but weak on tenderness, so needs
> to be fried/grilled rare (or thereabouts), or it will become tough.
>
> Tenderising with a meat hammer will help, but shouldn't be overdone, or
> you'll lose valuable juices and hence flavour.
>
> (I would never hammer skirt steak for any reason, lime juice suffices)
>
> An overnight soak in a little olive oil will do the trick, if you have
> time.

Hey Shelia, have you asked your butcher here for a pound of bavette steak?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 3:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Hey Shelia, have you asked your butcher here for a pound of bavette steak?

Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 9/4/2014 3:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Hey Shelia, have you asked your butcher here for a pound of bavette
>> steak?
>>

> Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
> about it.

This could be interesting. Please report back?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 1:38 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 3:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Hey Shelia, have you asked your butcher here for a pound of bavette
>> steak?
>>

> Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
> about it.

Let us know how it works out. I posted a good fajitas recipe yesterday,
but I think a chimchurri sauce marinade would be hard to beat also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 9:01 AM, Mayo wrote:

> LOL!
>
> How you can say that with the electric rates you pay there, oww!
>
> ;-)

Folks in the tropic just dig ice. They are little nuggets of relief from
the heat. One cannot have too much ice is what I say.

Solar power is proving to be quite a disruptive technology, as is the
cell phone, for the utilities. In some areas, the power company has
raised the rates for it's customers that rely on the power grid to make
up for the shortfall in revenue caused by people generating their own
electricity and selling it to Hawaiian Electric. These days you have to
get approval from the company to connect to it's power network. I read
in the paper this morning that the process now takes about 9 months.
Hmmmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:05:21 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 9/4/2014 9:01 AM, Mayo wrote:
> >
> > LOL!
> >
> > How you can say that with the electric rates you pay there, oww!
> >
> > ;-)

> Folks in the tropic just dig ice. They are little nuggets of relief from
> the heat. One cannot have too much ice is what I say.
>
> Solar power is proving to be quite a disruptive technology, as is the
> cell phone, for the utilities. In some areas, the power company has
> raised the rates for it's customers that rely on the power grid to make
> up for the shortfall in revenue caused by people generating their own
> electricity and selling it to Hawaiian Electric. These days you have to
> get approval from the company to connect to it's power network. I read
> in the paper this morning that the process now takes about 9 months.
> Hmmmmm...

That practice really chaff's my hide. They get you coming and going.
I guess the only recourse is to go off the grid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 2:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 9:01 AM, Mayo wrote:
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> How you can say that with the electric rates you pay there, oww!
>>
>> ;-)

> Folks in the tropic just dig ice. They are little nuggets of relief from
> the heat. One cannot have too much ice is what I say.

I recall seeing a program where grabbing a snow cone there is a pretty
standard local treat.

> Solar power is proving to be quite a disruptive technology, as is the
> cell phone, for the utilities. In some areas, the power company has
> raised the rates for it's customers that rely on the power grid to make
> up for the shortfall in revenue caused by people generating their own
> electricity and selling it to Hawaiian Electric. These days you have to
> get approval from the company to connect to it's power network. I read
> in the paper this morning that the process now takes about 9 months.
> Hmmmmm...

That's amazing, even more so given the amount of available sunshine you
folks have.

Isn't the bulk of your electricity generated from fuel oil generators?

That's really costly.

I keep waiting for ocean wave generators to make a showing, not yet though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 10:08 AM, sf wrote:

> That practice really chaff's my hide. They get you coming and going.
> I guess the only recourse is to go off the grid.

People are reluctant to get off the grid entirely but in most cases,
they generate more electricity than they use. Mostly they need the grid
for those days that the panels are not generating power so they pay HECO
something under $20 a month to stay connected. My guess is that with a
battery and a backup generator, one could lose the power grid entirely
although, it might not be worth the added expense to go that route.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4101425.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:30:14 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 9/4/2014 10:08 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > That practice really chaff's my hide. They get you coming and going.
> > I guess the only recourse is to go off the grid.
> >

> People are reluctant to get off the grid entirely but in most cases,
> they generate more electricity than they use. Mostly they need the grid
> for those days that the panels are not generating power so they pay HECO
> something under $20 a month to stay connected. My guess is that with a
> battery and a backup generator, one could lose the power grid entirely
> although, it might not be worth the added expense to go that route.
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4101425.html

I saw a show about a couple buying a home in Tasmania and it seemed
like a lot (if not most) of the homes there are off the grid there.
If it works for Tasmania, why not Hawaii?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 10:20 AM, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 2:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 9/4/2014 9:01 AM, Mayo wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL!
>>>
>>> How you can say that with the electric rates you pay there, oww!
>>>
>>> ;-)

>> Folks in the tropic just dig ice. They are little nuggets of relief from
>> the heat. One cannot have too much ice is what I say.

> I recall seeing a program where grabbing a snow cone there is a pretty
> standard local treat.
>
>> Solar power is proving to be quite a disruptive technology, as is the
>> cell phone, for the utilities. In some areas, the power company has
>> raised the rates for it's customers that rely on the power grid to make
>> up for the shortfall in revenue caused by people generating their own
>> electricity and selling it to Hawaiian Electric. These days you have to
>> get approval from the company to connect to it's power network. I read
>> in the paper this morning that the process now takes about 9 months.
>> Hmmmmm...

> That's amazing, even more so given the amount of available sunshine you
> folks have.
>
> Isn't the bulk of your electricity generated from fuel oil generators?

This is correct. We have to move our oil here in big tankers across the
ocean. Some oil is shipped in to be refined to provide us with all our
gasoline. We also ship in ethanol so we can add it to our gas so that we
can get slightly less gas mileage. This sounds like a sweet deal for
somebody - just not us.

> That's really costly.

It is but as long as we are able to make ice cubes here, we'll be happy.

> I keep waiting for ocean wave generators to make a showing, not yet though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 1:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/3/2014 11:23 AM, sf wrote:
>

>> I go to F&E occasionally because they have a Sauvignon
>> Blanc that I like (and one is closer to my house) - they'll check you
>> out if you buy alcohol. Call me old fashioned. I don't give grocery
>> stores my business unless they have someone who checks me out and
>> packs my bags for me.
>>

> They don't check you out if no alcohol?

I guess they have to have some way to verify you're old enough to
purchase it.

> Checking and bagging are services that I expect. Only way I'd use the
> self checkout is if they gave me a big discount.

Same here, Ed. I'm not bagging my own groceries or doing the self
checkout thing without one hell of an incentive.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 10:47 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:30:14 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/4/2014 10:08 AM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> That practice really chaff's my hide. They get you coming and going.
>>> I guess the only recourse is to go off the grid.
>>>

>> People are reluctant to get off the grid entirely but in most cases,
>> they generate more electricity than they use. Mostly they need the grid
>> for those days that the panels are not generating power so they pay HECO
>> something under $20 a month to stay connected. My guess is that with a
>> battery and a backup generator, one could lose the power grid entirely
>> although, it might not be worth the added expense to go that route.
>>
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4101425.html

> I saw a show about a couple buying a home in Tasmania and it seemed
> like a lot (if not most) of the homes there are off the grid there.
> If it works for Tasmania, why not Hawaii?

My guess is that it's just cheaper to stay connected over here than over
there because our infrastructure is a mature one and there's always a
power line nearby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 4:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 10:20 AM, Mayo wrote:

>>> Folks in the tropic just dig ice. They are little nuggets of relief from
>>> the heat. One cannot have too much ice is what I say.

>> I recall seeing a program where grabbing a snow cone there is a pretty
>> standard local treat.
>>
>>> Solar power is proving to be quite a disruptive technology, as is the
>>> cell phone, for the utilities. In some areas, the power company has
>>> raised the rates for it's customers that rely on the power grid to make
>>> up for the shortfall in revenue caused by people generating their own
>>> electricity and selling it to Hawaiian Electric. These days you have to
>>> get approval from the company to connect to it's power network. I read
>>> in the paper this morning that the process now takes about 9 months.
>>> Hmmmmm...

>> That's amazing, even more so given the amount of available sunshine you
>> folks have.
>>
>> Isn't the bulk of your electricity generated from fuel oil generators?

> This is correct. We have to move our oil here in big tankers across the
> ocean. Some oil is shipped in to be refined to provide us with all our
> gasoline. We also ship in ethanol so we can add it to our gas so that we
> can get slightly less gas mileage. This sounds like a sweet deal for
> somebody - just not us.

Thank you King Korn lobby!

>> That's really costly.

> It is but as long as we are able to make ice cubes here, we'll be happy.

A snow cone does sound just about right this warm afternoon.

>> I keep waiting for ocean wave generators to make a showing, not yet
>> though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 12:59 PM, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 4:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I recall seeing a program where grabbing a snow cone there is a pretty
>>> standard local treat.

>>> That's amazing, even more so given the amount of available sunshine you
>>> folks have.
>>>
>>> Isn't the bulk of your electricity generated from fuel oil generators?

>> This is correct. We have to move our oil here in big tankers across the
>> ocean. Some oil is shipped in to be refined to provide us with all our
>> gasoline. We also ship in ethanol so we can add it to our gas so that we
>> can get slightly less gas mileage. This sounds like a sweet deal for
>> somebody - just not us.

> Thank you King Korn lobby!
>

>>> That's really costly.

>> It is but as long as we are able to make ice cubes here, we'll be happy.

> A snow cone does sound just about right this warm afternoon.

And how!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7mpIwnT7Q

>>> I keep waiting for ocean wave generators to make a showing, not yet
>>> though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 5:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 12:59 PM, Mayo wrote:

>>> This is correct. We have to move our oil here in big tankers across the
>>> ocean. Some oil is shipped in to be refined to provide us with all our
>>> gasoline. We also ship in ethanol so we can add it to our gas so that we
>>> can get slightly less gas mileage. This sounds like a sweet deal for
>>> somebody - just not us.

>> Thank you King Korn lobby!

>>> It is but as long as we are able to make ice cubes here, we'll be happy.

>> A snow cone does sound just about right this warm afternoon.

> And how!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7mpIwnT7Q

That is the exact place I saw on the TV program!

No doubt what I'd order for the first time - the Hawaiian Rainbow...or
the Sunset Beach!

Great find.

And easily the biggest snow cones I have ever seen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 1:59 PM, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 5:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Thank you King Korn lobby!

>>> A snow cone does sound just about right this warm afternoon.

>> And how!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7mpIwnT7Q

> That is the exact place I saw on the TV program!
>
> No doubt what I'd order for the first time - the Hawaiian Rainbow...or
> the Sunset Beach!
>
> Great find.
>
> And easily the biggest snow cones I have ever seen.

I've never been to that place. It's priced for tourists! I go for the
cheaper local places.

This place serves shave ice sized beyond all reason. I've never been
there either. Those people are insane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta28GFA8q04
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 6:07 PM, JohnJohn wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:59:36 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>>> And how!
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7mpIwnT7Q

>> That is the exact place I saw on the TV program!
>>
>> No doubt what I'd order for the first time - the Hawaiian Rainbow...or
>> the Sunset Beach!

> I thought you said no doubt.

Heh, well maybe both then!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 6:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 1:59 PM, Mayo wrote:

>>> And how!
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7mpIwnT7Q

>> That is the exact place I saw on the TV program!
>>
>> No doubt what I'd order for the first time - the Hawaiian Rainbow...or
>> the Sunset Beach!
>>
>> Great find.
>>
>> And easily the biggest snow cones I have ever seen.
>>

> I've never been to that place. It's priced for tourists! I go for the
> cheaper local places.
>
> This place serves shave ice sized beyond all reason. I've never been
> there either. Those people are insane!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta28GFA8q04

OMG, you could die, literally, of brain freeze!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 3:01 PM, Mayo wrote:

> OMG, you could die, literally, of brain freeze!

That would be an interesting way to kill oneself. I like it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 7:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 3:01 PM, Mayo wrote:
>>

>> OMG, you could die, literally, of brain freeze!

> That would be an interesting way to kill oneself. I like it!

Plus you could go cryonic instead of burial and wake up in another century!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 3:41 PM, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 7:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 9/4/2014 3:01 PM, Mayo wrote:
>>>

>>> OMG, you could die, literally, of brain freeze!

>> That would be an interesting way to kill oneself. I like it!

> Plus you could go cryonic instead of burial and wake up in another century!

I can see nothing wrong whatsoever with this plan. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 8:01 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 3:41 PM, Mayo wrote:

>>> That would be an interesting way to kill oneself. I like it!

>> Plus you could go cryonic instead of burial and wake up in another
>> century!

> I can see nothing wrong whatsoever with this plan. :-)

I mean yes, unless you become one of the Eloi....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 20:14:12 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 9/4/2014 8:01 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Plus you could go cryonic instead of burial and wake up in another
> >> century!

> > I can see nothing wrong whatsoever with this plan. :-)

> I mean yes, unless you become one of the Eloi....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 3:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>> On 9/4/2014 3:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Shelia, have you asked your butcher here for a pound of bavette
>>> steak?
>>>

>> Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
>> about it.

> This could be interesting. Please report back?

(makes note, pins it to bulletin board)
Assuming I remember, I will definitely report back!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 9/4/2014 3:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
>>> about it.

>> This could be interesting. Please report back?
>>

> (makes note, pins it to bulletin board)
> Assuming I remember, I will definitely report back!

Thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 15:38:49 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 9/4/2014 3:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > Hey Shelia, have you asked your butcher here for a pound of bavette steak?
> >

> Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
> about it.

Your butcher makes house calls?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2014 9:15 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 15:38:49 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/4/2014 3:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Shelia, have you asked your butcher here for a pound of bavette steak?
>>>

>> Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
>> about it.

> Your butcher makes house calls?

Yes.
So does the fish man.
And the milk is delivered by the postie, along with the daily newspaper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 09:36:09 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 9/5/2014 9:15 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 15:38:49 -0400, S Viemeister
> > > wrote:

> >> Never. He usually comes by on Wednesday - I'll try to remember to ask
> >> about it.

> > Your butcher makes house calls?
> >

> Yes.
> So does the fish man.
> And the milk is delivered by the postie, along with the daily newspaper.

Wow. We do companies now that will deliver, but you have to buy a lot
for that to happen and I certainly wouldn't call the truck driver a
"butcher". An order list does not a butcher (or fish monger) make.