Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Short Ribs In Red Wine Sauce - Further adventure in Induction

On 9/1/2014 9:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:04:59 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>>> I should have added that I have this model, but I tend to use the flat
>>> side
>>> http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...34-237425389-2
>>>

>> Wowzers!
>>
>> That looks dangerous and cool.

> Heh... it is! My DD gave it to me a couple of years ago. Do you
> think there might be a subtext to it? LOL

Beats me, but I'm completely allured and sold!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:45:08 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 9/1/2014 9:32 PM, sf wrote:

> >> I think this one will be on my Xmas list this year.

> > Seems like it gets the job done and I think you'll like it. I would
> > say I'd buy it, but in fact - I've looked at it for years and I don't
> > cook that way so it's not high on my "must" buy list. To give you an
> > example of what I buy: I had never given a mini-mortar & pestle a
> > second thought - but when I saw it a couple of days ago I bought the
> > smallest one on the shelf (due to a thread on FB)
> > http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=... .VAU4V_ldWLA
> > because it's something I can visualize myself using (like for
> > powdering saffron).
> >

> I have sold off my mortar and pestle, also your link came back denied.
>
> Shoot.

So sorry! Does this one work? http://oi59.tinypic.com/xbwxtx.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/1/2014 5:05 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:10:59 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>>
>>> Sound choice, though I watched Ming Tsai and a guest chef use one of
>>> those multi-prong meat tenderizers to perforate a flank steak to
>>> wonderful tenderness.

>> I just can't get into that kind of tenderizing. I'm fairly new to
>> cube steaks, just to let you know how far I am behind the curve.
>>

> Understood.
>
> The tenderizer device really perforated that steak.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348...dle+tenderizer

I have one of those but I haven't used it much. Do you have any recipes etc
to share?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:03:55 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>>> Thanks, I'm very familiar with it via rfc and the internet.
>>>

>>I think this one will be on my Xmas list this year.

> Don't undercook the steak though, they have been treating meat like
> that commercially for quite awhile and it has caused two major e-coli
> outbreaks in Canada. So now, any meat that is treated like that has
> to be marked as such with a warning to cook to a high temp. The
> needles take e-coli from the outside, which would normally get killed
> in the cooking, and spread it to the inside where you would not be
> cooking it sufficiently.

Yes, because of bad practice. I researched mine before I bought it and was
reassured. Google it, there is plenty out there. I would never buy meat
ready prepared like that, but I will do so myself.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:51:55 -0700, sf > wrote:

> I should have added that I have this model, but I tend to use the flat side

Wow. If your hand is wet and slips, it could be painful.

I find it easier to just buy better cuts of meat that don't need
tenderizing.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 12:40:31 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Don't undercook the steak though, they have been treating meat like
>>> that commercially for quite awhile and it has caused two major e-coli
>>> outbreaks in Canada. So now, any meat that is treated like that has
>>> to be marked as such with a warning to cook to a high temp. The
>>> needles take e-coli from the outside, which would normally get killed
>>> in the cooking, and spread it to the inside where you would not be
>>> cooking it sufficiently.

>>Yes, because of bad practice. I researched mine before I bought it and
>>was
>>reassured. Google it, there is plenty out there. I would never buy meat
>>ready prepared like that, but I will do so myself.

> Do you prepare the meat prior to piercing it ? The point they made
> here was the e-coli was transported from outside to inside, sort of
> the hamburger problem if you know what I mean.

I read that you could sear it first. I have used it very little, but this
conversation had encouraged me to get it out again.

I mince/grind my own meats and I would treat the tenderized meat the same.
Always very cold, and not left hanging about before it is cooked.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 7:09 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:51:55 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> I should have added that I have this model, but I tend to use the flat
>> side

> Wow. If your hand is wet and slips, it could be painful.
>
> I find it easier to just buy better cuts of meat that don't need
> tenderizing.
>
> -- Larry

I just marinade the flank steak and am careful not to overcook it.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 11:09 PM, sf wrote:
> I can't tell you when the last time was that I saw a flank steak in
> the meat case - which means it's not popular here and it's not just
> me.

The Tex-Mex restaurants buy it for fajitas.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 1, 2014 7:19:51 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> Flank needs to be marinated. Then grilled or broiled, rare - no more
> than medium rare. Let it stand, then slice thinly against the grain.
>
> Jill

That's the way. Thinly sliced across the grian falls apart in the mouth.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:09:40 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:51:55 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> > I should have added that I have this model, but I tend to use the flat side

> Wow. If your hand is wet and slips, it could be painful.

I never have kitchen mishaps like that. Maybe I'm more careful about
personal safety than most, but dumb things like that don't happen to
me.

> I find it easier to just buy better cuts of meat that don't need
> tenderizing.

I don't use it for tenderizing, I use it for flattening... mainly
chicken, but I've smashed garlic with it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 13:26:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 12:40:31 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Do you prepare the meat prior to piercing it ? The point they made
>>> here was the e-coli was transported from outside to inside, sort of
>>> the hamburger problem if you know what I mean.

>>I read that you could sear it first. I have used it very little, but this
>>conversation had encouraged me to get it out again.
>>
>>I mince/grind my own meats and I would treat the tenderized meat the same.
>>Always very cold, and not left hanging about before it is cooked.

> Searing before piercing would definitely be an option - I would think,
> don't actually know. I merely noted that they said in future the meat
> had to be marked 'tenderised cook to temps above xxx' and I like rare,
> so deal me out.

I've never seen anything like it here and I doubt it exists.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:23:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 13:26:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>I read that you could sear it first. I have used it very little, but this
> >>conversation had encouraged me to get it out again.
> >>
> >>I mince/grind my own meats and I would treat the tenderized meat the same.
> >>Always very cold, and not left hanging about before it is cooked.

> > Searing before piercing would definitely be an option - I would think,
> > don't actually know. I merely noted that they said in future the meat
> > had to be marked 'tenderised cook to temps above xxx' and I like rare,
> > so deal me out.

> I've never seen anything like it here and I doubt it exists.

Me either and me too. Much ado about nothing - which is par for the
course with rfc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:23:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 13:26:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> Searing before piercing would definitely be an option - I would think,
>>> don't actually know. I merely noted that they said in future the meat
>>> had to be marked 'tenderised cook to temps above xxx' and I like rare,
>>> so deal me out.

>>I've never seen anything like it here and I doubt it exists.

> Likely it will come - I must say when they showed how it was done here
> on an industrial scale, the machines really did not look like they
> could be cleaned as well as you would like. Plus, of course, they
> just took the meat how it was, no tending to the outside that might
> have e-coli.

Not sure how you can tell when you buy meat.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 11:06 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:45:08 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>>> Seems like it gets the job done and I think you'll like it. I would
>>> say I'd buy it, but in fact - I've looked at it for years and I don't
>>> cook that way so it's not high on my "must" buy list. To give you an
>>> example of what I buy: I had never given a mini-mortar & pestle a
>>> second thought - but when I saw it a couple of days ago I bought the
>>> smallest one on the shelf (due to a thread on FB)
>>> http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=... .VAU4V_ldWLA
>>> because it's something I can visualize myself using (like for
>>> powdering saffron).
>>>

>> I have sold off my mortar and pestle, also your link came back denied.
>>
>> Shoot.
>>

> So sorry! Does this one work? http://oi59.tinypic.com/xbwxtx.jpg

Yes!

Cool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 4:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> I just can't get into that kind of tenderizing. I'm fairly new to
>>> cube steaks, just to let you know how far I am behind the curve.
>>>

>> Understood.
>>
>> The tenderizer device really perforated that steak.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348...dle+tenderizer
>>

> I have one of those but I haven't used it much. Do you have any recipes
> etc
> to share?

I haven't gotten one yet, but I was impressed with the Ming Tsai show
recipe that had flank steak marinated in Kimchee.

I don't think that specific one is on the PBS website however.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 5:31 AM, wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:03:55 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348...dle+tenderizer

>>> Thanks, I'm very familiar with it via rfc and the internet.
>>>

>> I think this one will be on my Xmas list this year.

> Don't undercook the steak though, they have been treating meat like
> that commercially for quite awhile and it has caused two major e-coli
> outbreaks in Canada. So now, any meat that is treated like that has
> to be marked as such with a warning to cook to a high temp. The
> needles take e-coli from the outside, which would normally get killed
> in the cooking, and spread it to the inside where you would not be
> cooking it sufficiently.

Thank you so much for that warning, it was not something I had considered.

Looks like sf's reliance on flap m,eat is the safer way to go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/2/2014 4:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Understood.
>>>
>>> The tenderizer device really perforated that steak.
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348...dle+tenderizer
>>>

>> I have one of those but I haven't used it much. Do you have any recipes
>> etc
>> to share?

> I haven't gotten one yet, but I was impressed with the Ming Tsai show
> recipe that had flank steak marinated in Kimchee.
>
> I don't think that specific one is on the PBS website however.

Well, if you find some (that don't have very hot/spicy ingredients ;-)
please share?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 16:57:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:23:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> Likely it will come - I must say when they showed how it was done here
>>> on an industrial scale, the machines really did not look like they
>>> could be cleaned as well as you would like. Plus, of course, they
>>> just took the meat how it was, no tending to the outside that might
>>> have e-coli.

>>Not sure how you can tell when you buy meat.

> Neither am I, I have scrutinized both but at least I know now, look
> for a label. I rarely cook any meat to death so I would definitely be
> at risk

I repeat, I mince/grind my own meat so if I have been safe doing that all
these years, I reckon I have a fair chance using the tenderizer

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 12:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> I have one of those but I haven't used it much. Do you have any recipes
>>> etc
>>> to share?

>> I haven't gotten one yet, but I was impressed with the Ming Tsai show
>> recipe that had flank steak marinated in Kimchee.
>>
>> I don't think that specific one is on the PBS website however.

> Well, if you find some (that don't have very hot/spicy ingredients ;-)
> please share?

Will do.

The Kimchee would be on the hot end of that spectrum.

Now for fajitas I prefer to use a variation on this:

http://www.apronstringsblog.com/the-...hicken-breast/

FLAVORFUL FLANK STEAK FAJITAS

2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Zest from one lime (about 2 teaspoons full)

(I add in the juice of that lime too)

1/4 red onion, chopped

(I generally pickle my red onions ahead of time which adds even more flavor)

3 cloves garlic, diced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

(Here I substitute peanut oil for flavor and high heat performance)

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a
zip lock bag with one flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds). Let stand on
counter 1 hour, turning occasionally. ( You can marinate in the fridge
overnight – I tried both ways with the same results.)

Remove meat from bag, wiping excess marinade off. Spray both sides of
meat with oil.

Grill meat over very high heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side according
to desired doneness. Remove meat from grill and let stand 10 to 15
minutes. Slice very thinly across the grain. Serve with grilled veggies
and tortillas.

The heat rating is a subjective thing, but generally the canned
chipotles I get are not especially hot, but they are smoky good.

Also this works just as well on skirt steak or flap steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/2/2014 12:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I haven't gotten one yet, but I was impressed with the Ming Tsai show
>>> recipe that had flank steak marinated in Kimchee.
>>>
>>> I don't think that specific one is on the PBS website however.

>> Well, if you find some (that don't have very hot/spicy ingredients ;-)
>> please share?
>>

> Will do.
>
> The Kimchee would be on the hot end of that spectrum.
>
> Now for fajitas I prefer to use a variation on this:
>
> http://www.apronstringsblog.com/the-...hicken-breast/
>
> FLAVORFUL FLANK STEAK FAJITAS
>
> 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
> Zest from one lime (about 2 teaspoons full)
>
> (I add in the juice of that lime too)
>
> 1/4 red onion, chopped
>
> (I generally pickle my red onions ahead of time which adds even more
> flavor)
>
> 3 cloves garlic, diced
> 1 teaspoon cumin
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
> 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
> (Here I substitute peanut oil for flavor and high heat performance)
>
> Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a zip
> lock bag with one flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds). Let stand on counter 1
> hour, turning occasionally. ( You can marinate in the fridge overnight – I
> tried both ways with the same results.)
>
> Remove meat from bag, wiping excess marinade off. Spray both sides of meat
> with oil.
>
> Grill meat over very high heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side according
> to desired doneness. Remove meat from grill and let stand 10 to 15
> minutes. Slice very thinly across the grain. Serve with grilled veggies
> and tortillas.
>

> The heat rating is a subjective thing, but generally the canned chipotles
> I get are not especially hot, but they are smoky good.
>
> Also this works just as well on skirt steak or flap steak.

Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I will get
back to you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 2:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> Well, if you find some (that don't have very hot/spicy ingredients ;-)
>>> please share?
>>>

>> Will do.
>>
>> The Kimchee would be on the hot end of that spectrum.
>>
>> Now for fajitas I prefer to use a variation on this:
>>
>> http://www.apronstringsblog.com/the-...hicken-breast/
>>

>> FLAVORFUL FLANK STEAK FAJITAS
>>
>> 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
>> Zest from one lime (about 2 teaspoons full)
>>
>> (I add in the juice of that lime too)
>>
>> 1/4 red onion, chopped
>>
>> (I generally pickle my red onions ahead of time which adds even more
>> flavor)
>>
>> 3 cloves garlic, diced
>> 1 teaspoon cumin
>> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
>> 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>>
>> (Here I substitute peanut oil for flavor and high heat performance)
>>
>> Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a
>> zip lock bag with one flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds). Let stand on
>> counter 1 hour, turning occasionally. ( You can marinate in the fridge
>> overnight – I tried both ways with the same results.)
>>
>> Remove meat from bag, wiping excess marinade off. Spray both sides of
>> meat with oil.
>>
>> Grill meat over very high heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side
>> according to desired doneness. Remove meat from grill and let stand 10
>> to 15 minutes. Slice very thinly across the grain. Serve with grilled
>> veggies and tortillas.
>>

>> The heat rating is a subjective thing, but generally the canned
>> chipotles I get are not especially hot, but they are smoky good.
>>
>> Also this works just as well on skirt steak or flap steak.

> Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I will
> get back to you.

Heh, here they a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

Skirt steak is a cut of beef steak from the plate. It is long, flat, and
prized for its flavor rather than tenderness. It is not to be confused
with flank steak, a generally similar adjacent cut nearer the animal's
rear quarter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_steak

Flap steak, or Flap meat (IMPS/NAMP 185A, UNECE 2203)) is a beef steak
cut. It comes from a bottom sirloin butt cut of beef, and is generally a
very thin steak.[1]

The flap steak is sometimes confused with hanger steak (IMPS/NAMP 140,
UNECE 2180) as they both are thin. The item consists of the obliquus
internus abdominis muscle from the bottom sirloin butt. The cut is
sometimes mistakenly sold as Skirt steak.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/h...irt-steak.html

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Skirt-S...i-Sauce-513922
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:11:38 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>On 9/2/2014 12:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Snippage

>> Well, if you find some (that don't have very hot/spicy ingredients ;-)
>> please share?
>>

>Will do.
>
>The Kimchee would be on the hot end of that spectrum.
>
>Now for fajitas I prefer to use a variation on this:
>
>http://www.apronstringsblog.com/the-...hicken-breast/
>
>FLAVORFUL FLANK STEAK FAJITAS
>
>2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
>Zest from one lime (about 2 teaspoons full)
>
>(I add in the juice of that lime too)
>
>1/4 red onion, chopped
>
>(I generally pickle my red onions ahead of time which adds even more flavor)
>
>3 cloves garlic, diced
>1 teaspoon cumin
>1 teaspoon kosher salt
>1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
>(Here I substitute peanut oil for flavor and high heat performance)
>
>Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a
>zip lock bag with one flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds). Let stand on
>counter 1 hour, turning occasionally. ( You can marinate in the fridge
>overnight – I tried both ways with the same results.)
>
>Remove meat from bag, wiping excess marinade off. Spray both sides of
>meat with oil.
>
>Grill meat over very high heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side according
>to desired doneness. Remove meat from grill and let stand 10 to 15
>minutes. Slice very thinly across the grain. Serve with grilled veggies
>and tortillas.
>

>The heat rating is a subjective thing, but generally the canned
>chipotles I get are not especially hot, but they are smoky good.
>
>Also this works just as well on skirt steak or flap steak.

That looks great, thanks for posting the recipe.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 8:03 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 11:09 PM, sf wrote:
>> I can't tell you when the last time was that I saw a flank steak in
>> the meat case - which means it's not popular here and it's not just
>> me.

> The Tex-Mex restaurants buy it for fajitas.
>
> Jill

Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
steak, not the locals.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 2:41 PM, koko wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:11:38 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> On 9/2/2014 12:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Snippage
>>>
>>> Well, if you find some (that don't have very hot/spicy ingredients ;-)
>>> please share?
>>>

>> Will do.
>>
>> The Kimchee would be on the hot end of that spectrum.
>>
>> Now for fajitas I prefer to use a variation on this:
>>
>> http://www.apronstringsblog.com/the-...hicken-breast/
>>
>> FLAVORFUL FLANK STEAK FAJITAS
>>
>> 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
>> Zest from one lime (about 2 teaspoons full)
>>
>> (I add in the juice of that lime too)
>>
>> 1/4 red onion, chopped
>>
>> (I generally pickle my red onions ahead of time which adds even more flavor)
>>
>> 3 cloves garlic, diced
>> 1 teaspoon cumin
>> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
>> 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>>
>> (Here I substitute peanut oil for flavor and high heat performance)
>>
>> Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a
>> zip lock bag with one flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds). Let stand on
>> counter 1 hour, turning occasionally. ( You can marinate in the fridge
>> overnight – I tried both ways with the same results.)
>>
>> Remove meat from bag, wiping excess marinade off. Spray both sides of
>> meat with oil.
>>
>> Grill meat over very high heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side according
>> to desired doneness. Remove meat from grill and let stand 10 to 15
>> minutes. Slice very thinly across the grain. Serve with grilled veggies
>> and tortillas.
>>

>> The heat rating is a subjective thing, but generally the canned
>> chipotles I get are not especially hot, but they are smoky good.
>>
>> Also this works just as well on skirt steak or flap steak.

> That looks great, thanks for posting the recipe.
>
> koko

You are most welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 3:36 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/2/2014 8:03 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 9/1/2014 11:09 PM, sf wrote:
>>> I can't tell you when the last time was that I saw a flank steak in
>>> the meat case - which means it's not popular here and it's not just
>>> me.

>> The Tex-Mex restaurants buy it for fajitas.
>>
>> Jill

> Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
> steak, not the locals.

The moisture in skirt comes from the marbling - just a wonderful and
economical cut of meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:36:25 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 9/2/2014 8:03 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 9/1/2014 11:09 PM, sf wrote:
> >> I can't tell you when the last time was that I saw a flank steak in
> >> the meat case - which means it's not popular here and it's not just
> >> me.

> > The Tex-Mex restaurants buy it for fajitas.
> >
> > Jill

> Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
> steak, not the locals.

Thank you. Skirt steak rocks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:52:43 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 9/2/2014 3:36 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> >>
> >> The Tex-Mex restaurants buy it for fajitas.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
> > steak, not the locals.
> >

> The moisture in skirt comes from the marbling - just a wonderful and
> economical cut of meat.

Shhhhh. We mustn't spread the word like this or it will go the way of
short ribs and ox tail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 21:15:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> > On 9/2/2014 12:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >>

> > Also this works just as well on skirt steak or flap steak.

> Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I will get
> back to you.

Here you go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

Flap - (not to be confused with Hangar steak) also known as bavette
(France), sirloin tip (New England).
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...rloin-tip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:35:21 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Skirt-S...i-Sauce-513922

Chimichurri - swoon!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 9:53 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:52:43 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>>> Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
>>> steak, not the locals.
>>>

>> The moisture in skirt comes from the marbling - just a wonderful and
>> economical cut of meat.

> Shhhhh. We mustn't spread the word like this or it will go the way of
> short ribs and ox tail.

OMG, loose lips, etc...

My bad.

;-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 20:53:20 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:52:43 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>> > Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
>> > steak, not the locals.
>> >

>> The moisture in skirt comes from the marbling - just a wonderful and
>> economical cut of meat.

>Shhhhh. We mustn't spread the word like this or it will go the way of
>short ribs and ox tail.

I saw some decent looking short ribs today at Winco. I always look
first thing Monday or Tuesday morning for the meat that has been
marked down. There were 3 short ribs in the package, maybe 2 1/2
inches long by 2 inches by 1 1/2 inch high. The original price was
$19.00, marked down to $11 something. I gave them a pass.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2014 10:05 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:35:21 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Skirt-S...i-Sauce-513922

> Chimichurri - swoon!

Yeah, some seriously great taste there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:14:33 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I saw some decent looking short ribs today at Winco. I always look
> first thing Monday or Tuesday morning for the meat that has been
> marked down. There were 3 short ribs in the package, maybe 2 1/2
> inches long by 2 inches by 1 1/2 inch high. The original price was
> $19.00, marked down to $11 something. I gave them a pass.
> Janet US

Dang. Even their sale price isn't a sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:51:15 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:36:25 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
> > On 9/2/2014 8:03 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
> > steak, not the locals.

> Thank you. Skirt steak rocks!

Flat iron steak is also a good alternative.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>> Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I will
>> get back to you.
>>

> Heh, here they a
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak
>
> Skirt steak is a cut of beef steak from the plate. It is long, flat, and
> prized for its flavor rather than tenderness. It is not to be confused
> with flank steak, a generally similar adjacent cut nearer the animal's
> rear quarter.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_steak
>
> Flap steak, or Flap meat (IMPS/NAMP 185A, UNECE 2203)) is a beef steak
> cut. It comes from a bottom sirloin butt cut of beef, and is generally a
> very thin steak.[1]
>
> The flap steak is sometimes confused with hanger steak (IMPS/NAMP 140,
> UNECE 2180) as they both are thin. The item consists of the obliquus
> internus abdominis muscle from the bottom sirloin butt. The cut is
> sometimes mistakenly sold as Skirt steak.
>
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/h...irt-steak.html
>
> http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Skirt-S...i-Sauce-513922

Thanks very much! I have saved it and will look into it later

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 21:15:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...
>> > On 9/2/2014 12:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> >>

>> > Also this works just as well on skirt steak or flap steak.

>> Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I will
>> get
>> back to you.

> Here you go
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak
>
> Flap - (not to be confused with Hangar steak) also known as bavette
> (France), sirloin tip (New England).
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...rloin-tip.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

Thanks. I've saved that as well. I need to look at it and work out what it
is called here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 05:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:51:15 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:36:25 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On 9/2/2014 8:03 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > > Here they use skirt steak. Much cheaper. The Gringo want the flank
> > > steak, not the locals.

> > Thank you. Skirt steak rocks!
> >

> Flat iron steak is also a good alternative.

That's not a popular cut here. I've seen it in the past, but not
lately and never at a grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 5:03 AM, wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:02:36 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 21:15:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I will get
>>> back to you.

>> Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

>> Flap - (not to be confused with Hangar steak) also known as bavette
>> (France), sirloin tip (New England).
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...rloin-tip.html
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

> Shouldn't be difficult, certainly in southern England they call it
> that, commonly used for things like Cornish Pasties.

Those are so tasty, a few of the Irish themed brew-pubs here serve some
decent ones.

We don't have any Cornish themed eateries, so like most things American
it gets merged.