Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Short Ribs In Red Wine Sauce - Further adventure in Induction

On 9/3/2014 7:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...
>
>>> Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I will
>>> get back to you.
>>>

>> Heh, here they a
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak
>>
>> Skirt steak is a cut of beef steak from the plate. It is long, flat,
>> and prized for its flavor rather than tenderness. It is not to be
>> confused with flank steak, a generally similar adjacent cut nearer the
>> animal's rear quarter.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_steak
>>
>> Flap steak, or Flap meat (IMPS/NAMP 185A, UNECE 2203)) is a beef steak
>> cut. It comes from a bottom sirloin butt cut of beef, and is generally
>> a very thin steak.[1]
>>
>> The flap steak is sometimes confused with hanger steak (IMPS/NAMP 140,
>> UNECE 2180) as they both are thin. The item consists of the obliquus
>> internus abdominis muscle from the bottom sirloin butt. The cut is
>> sometimes mistakenly sold as Skirt steak.
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/h...irt-steak.html
>>
>> http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Skirt-S...i-Sauce-513922

> Thanks very much! I have saved it and will look into it later

You're most welcome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 7:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 21:15:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Thank you. If ever I find out what is skirt steak or flap steak I
>>> will get
>>> back to you.

>> Here you go
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak
>>
>> Flap - (not to be confused with Hangar steak) also known as bavette
>> (France), sirloin tip (New England).
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...rloin-tip.html
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

> Thanks. I've saved that as well. I need to look at it and work out
> what it is called here.

Lol, you'll soon be known 'round the butcher shoppes as the flap lady!

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 7:59 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 05:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:51:15 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:

>>> Thank you. Skirt steak rocks!
>>>

>> Flat iron steak is also a good alternative.
>>

> That's not a popular cut here. I've seen it in the past, but not
> lately and never at a grocery store.

If you've a Kroger owned store I find they generally tend to have it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 08:51:24 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 9/3/2014 7:59 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 05:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > > wrote:

> >> Flat iron steak is also a good alternative.
> >>

> > That's not a popular cut here. I've seen it in the past, but not
> > lately and never at a grocery store.
> >

> If you've a Kroger owned store I find they generally tend to have it.

If they are really Kroger, we have one FoodsCo and one Food 4 Less.
Both are off the beaten track for me and if I remember correctly, they
are "pack it yourself" stores like Fresh & Easy, which is why I don't
shop there. I go to F&E occasionally because they have a Sauvignon
Blanc that I like (and one is closer to my house) - they'll check you
out if you buy alcohol. Call me old fashioned. I don't give grocery
stores my business unless they have someone who checks me out and
packs my bags for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/3/2014 7:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 21:15:08 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Here you go
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak
>>>
>>> Flap - (not to be confused with Hangar steak) also known as bavette
>>> (France), sirloin tip (New England).
>>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...rloin-tip.html
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

>> Thanks. I've saved that as well. I need to look at it and work out
>> what it is called here.

> Lol, you'll soon be known 'round the butcher shoppes as the flap lady!

lol I guess I will have to ask somewhere away from home ;-) It will help a
lot if I can get the English usage)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 11:23 AM, sf wrote:

> I go to F&E occasionally because they have a Sauvignon
> Blanc that I like (and one is closer to my house) - they'll check you
> out if you buy alcohol. Call me old fashioned. I don't give grocery
> stores my business unless they have someone who checks me out and
> packs my bags for me.

They don't check you out if no alcohol?

Checking and bagging are services that I expect. Only way I'd use the
self checkout is if they gave me a big discount.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:27:54 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Lol, you'll soon be known 'round the butcher shoppes as the flap lady!

>>lol I guess I will have to ask somewhere away from home ;-) It will help
>>lot if I can get the English usage)

> Tell them you are used to Cornwall where they call it skirt and use it
> for pasties.

You think that would work in Scotland ?)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:27:54 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Tell them you are used to Cornwall where they call it skirt and use it
>>> for pasties.

>> You think that would work in Scotland ?)

> Maybe wait until after the referendum and see which way it goes

The cuts of meat won't change either way)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 13:00:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 9/3/2014 11:23 AM, sf wrote:
>

> > I go to F&E occasionally because they have a Sauvignon
> > Blanc that I like (and one is closer to my house) - they'll check you
> > out if you buy alcohol. Call me old fashioned. I don't give grocery
> > stores my business unless they have someone who checks me out and
> > packs my bags for me.
> >

> They don't check you out if no alcohol?

No, it is a completely self-checkout store (no option to go to a
manned checkout) but state law changed recently so they have to check
the ID of those buying alcohol and check you through. At Safeway, you
simply don't use self-checkout stands if you're buying alcohol.

> Checking and bagging are services that I expect. Only way I'd use the
> self checkout is if they gave me a big discount.

Not me. I am not their de facto employee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> >

> > Tell them you are used to Cornwall where they call it skirt and use it
> > for pasties.

> You think that would work in Scotland ?)

They'll probably look at you as if you had two heads, but you could
always try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> >

>> > Tell them you are used to Cornwall where they call it skirt and use it
>> > for pasties.

>> You think that would work in Scotland ?)

> They'll probably look at you as if you had two heads, but you could
> always try.

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 20:26:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> You think that would work in Scotland ?)

> > Maybe wait until after the referendum and see which way it goes

> The cuts of meat won't change either way)

I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_of_beef

- The plate is the other source of short ribs, used for pot roasting,
and the outside skirt steak, which is used for fajitas.

If you compare the American beef chart to the UK beef chart, it looks
like our plate is the midsection of where a UK brisket meets a UK
flank, so it is basically the middle third of the two joined parts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 20:26:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> >

>> > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > Maybe wait until after the referendum and see which way it goes

>> The cuts of meat won't change either way)

> I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_of_beef
>
> - The plate is the other source of short ribs, used for pot roasting,
> and the outside skirt steak, which is used for fajitas.
>
> If you compare the American beef chart to the UK beef chart, it looks
> like our plate is the midsection of where a UK brisket meets a UK
> flank, so it is basically the middle third of the two joined parts.

Yes, I have seen that, but what do we call it? I have taken charts into
butchers before but it wasn't my favourite thing to do. Your charts are
different to ours with different names. Most butchers can't be bothered.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 1, 2014 3:04:59 PM UTC-10, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 5:51 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Thanks, I'm very familiar with it via rfc and the internet.

> > I should have added that I have this model, but I tend to use the flat

> > side

> > http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...34-237425389-2

> Wowzers!
>

> That looks dangerous and cool.

It's metal, heavy, shiny, and has sharp points so for that, I'm in!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:12:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> > I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_of_beef
> >
> > - The plate is the other source of short ribs, used for pot roasting,
> > and the outside skirt steak, which is used for fajitas.
> >
> > If you compare the American beef chart to the UK beef chart, it looks
> > like our plate is the midsection of where a UK brisket meets a UK
> > flank, so it is basically the middle third of the two joined parts.

> Yes, I have seen that, but what do we call it? I have taken charts into
> butchers before but it wasn't my favourite thing to do. Your charts are
> different to ours with different names. Most butchers can't be bothered.

Sorry, I can't help you if the butcher isn't motivated. Maybe Sheila
has some thoughts on the subject since she's on both sides of the pond
with some regularity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:12:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> > I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_of_beef
>> >
>> > - The plate is the other source of short ribs, used for pot roasting,
>> > and the outside skirt steak, which is used for fajitas.
>> >
>> > If you compare the American beef chart to the UK beef chart, it looks
>> > like our plate is the midsection of where a UK brisket meets a UK
>> > flank, so it is basically the middle third of the two joined parts.

>> Yes, I have seen that, but what do we call it? I have taken charts into
>> butchers before but it wasn't my favourite thing to do. Your charts are
>> different to ours with different names. Most butchers can't be bothered.

> Sorry, I can't help you if the butcher isn't motivated. Maybe Sheila
> has some thoughts on the subject since she's on both sides of the pond
> with some regularity.

Yes, she might)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 08:51:24 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2014 7:59 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 05:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person

>>> That's not a popular cut here. I've seen it in the past, but not
>>> lately and never at a grocery store.
>>>

>> If you've a Kroger owned store I find they generally tend to have it.

> If they are really Kroger, we have one FoodsCo and one Food 4 Less.
> Both are off the beaten track for me and if I remember correctly, they
> are "pack it yourself" stores like Fresh & Easy, which is why I don't
> shop there. I go to F&E occasionally because they have a Sauvignon
> Blanc that I like (and one is closer to my house) - they'll check you
> out if you buy alcohol. Call me old fashioned. I don't give grocery
> stores my business unless they have someone who checks me out and
> packs my bags for me.

Good for you, the whole self serve thing is kind of lame anyway. Granted
I pack a good sack and I don't crush eggs or bread, but honestly, are
you paying me for that?!?

I remember the markets when I was a kid used to offer a service where
they let you retrieve your car, then roll the cart out and load your trunk.

Days long gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 9:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> Thanks. I've saved that as well. I need to look at it and work out
>>> what it is called here.

>> Lol, you'll soon be known 'round the butcher shoppes as the flap lady!

> lol I guess I will have to ask somewhere away from home ;-) It will
> help a lot if I can get the English usage)

Or maybe the lady who wants a Kilt steak?

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 11:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:27:54 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> lol I guess I will have to ask somewhere away from home ;-) It will
>>> help a
>>> lot if I can get the English usage)

>> Tell them you are used to Cornwall where they call it skirt and use it
>> for pasties.

> You think that would work in Scotland ?)

It's got to be a Kilt steak up there, Lass....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 1:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>>

>>> Tell them you are used to Cornwall where they call it skirt and use it
>>> for pasties.

>> You think that would work in Scotland ?)

> They'll probably look at you as if you had two heads, but you could
> always try.

Two heads?!?!

They'd think her to be Irish?

<ducks>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 2:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, September 1, 2014 3:04:59 PM UTC-10, Mayo wrote:

>>> I should have added that I have this model, but I tend to use the flat

>>> side

>>> http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...34-237425389-2

>> Wowzers!
>>

>> That looks dangerous and cool.

> It's metal, heavy, shiny, and has sharp points so for that, I'm in!

I can see being a kid, grabbing this and taking it trick or treating ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:44:20 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 9/3/2014 2:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Wowzers!
> >>

> >> That looks dangerous and cool.

> > It's metal, heavy, shiny, and has sharp points so for that, I'm in!
> >

> I can see being a kid, grabbing this and taking it trick or treating ;-)

Yeow! Not part of a cute costume and a pleasant thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:41:10 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 9/3/2014 1:49 PM, sf wrote:

> >> You think that would work in Scotland ?)

> > They'll probably look at you as if you had two heads, but you could
> > always try.
> >

> Two heads?!?!
>
> They'd think her to be Irish?
>
> <ducks>

I'll leave it to Ophelia to give you the thawp you deserve. I would
make it a bonk, but that's the West Coast American accent talking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 12:44 PM, Mayo wrote:

> I can see being a kid, grabbing this and taking it trick or treating ;-)

Lucky kid! I used to have an aluminum meat tenderizer that looked like a
hammer with pointy pyramids on one side. I was so very proud of that
thing but then it broke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/3/2014 9:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Lol, you'll soon be known 'round the butcher shoppes as the flap lady!

>> lol I guess I will have to ask somewhere away from home ;-) It will
>> help a lot if I can get the English usage)
>>

> Or maybe the lady who wants a Kilt steak?

Well if you could introduce me to one ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/3/2014 11:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:27:54 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Tell them you are used to Cornwall where they call it skirt and use it
>>> for pasties.

>> You think that would work in Scotland ?)
>>

> It's got to be a Kilt steak up there, Lass....

Ye ken the awra tartans, laddie?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:41:10 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2014 1:49 PM, sf wrote:
>> > On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"

>> > They'll probably look at you as if you had two heads, but you could
>> > always try.
>> >

>> Two heads?!?!
>>
>> They'd think her to be Irish?
>>
>> <ducks>

> I'll leave it to Ophelia to give you the thawp you deserve. I would
> make it a bonk, but that's the West Coast American accent talking.

I thought I gave you a thwapper for your own use?

Go for it girl!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 11:53:46 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> Two heads?!?!
> >>
> >> They'd think her to be Irish?
> >>
> >> <ducks>

> > I'll leave it to Ophelia to give you the thawp you deserve. I would
> > make it a bonk, but that's the West Coast American accent talking.

> I thought I gave you a thwapper for your own use?
>
> Go for it girl!

I'm going solo? <rummaging in the kitchen tool drawer>

..... BONK!

Oooops, sorry Mayo. I need to practice a little more with this thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:44:20 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>>> It's metal, heavy, shiny, and has sharp points so for that, I'm in!
>>>

>> I can see being a kid, grabbing this and taking it trick or treating ;-)

> Yeow! Not part of a cute costume and a pleasant thought.

Darth Vader helmet, etc...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 8:13 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:41:10 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2014 1:49 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:29:53 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> They'll probably look at you as if you had two heads, but you could
>>> always try.
>>>

>> Two heads?!?!
>>
>> They'd think her to be Irish?
>>
>> <ducks>

> I'll leave it to Ophelia to give you the thawp you deserve. I would
> make it a bonk, but that's the West Coast American accent talking.

LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 8:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/3/2014 12:44 PM, Mayo wrote:
>>>

>> I can see being a kid, grabbing this and taking it trick or treating ;-)

> Lucky kid! I used to have an aluminum meat tenderizer that looked like a
> hammer with pointy pyramids on one side. I was so very proud of that
> thing but then it broke.

I still have one of those, it sees occasional duty as an ice mallet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 4:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> lol I guess I will have to ask somewhere away from home ;-) It will
>>> help a lot if I can get the English usage)
>>>

>> Or maybe the lady who wants a Kilt steak?

> Well if you could introduce me to one ...

Heh, I'm not sure how your butcher would take my colloquialisms...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 4:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> You think that would work in Scotland ?)
>>>

>> It's got to be a Kilt steak up there, Lass....

> Ye ken the awra tartans, laddie?

My preference for plaid stops at winter shirts.

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 5:24 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 11:53:46 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> I'll leave it to Ophelia to give you the thawp you deserve. I would
>>> make it a bonk, but that's the West Coast American accent talking.

>> I thought I gave you a thwapper for your own use?
>>
>> Go for it girl!

> I'm going solo? <rummaging in the kitchen tool drawer>
>
> .... BONK!
>
> Oooops, sorry Mayo. I need to practice a little more with this thing.

Yowie, right on the big toe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/4/2014 4:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Or maybe the lady who wants a Kilt steak?

>> Well if you could introduce me to one ...
>>

> Heh, I'm not sure how your butcher would take my colloquialisms...

If you ever get here and I have to opportunity to see you with our butcher,
I will video it for posterity. Really, it should be hilarious)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 10:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> Well if you could introduce me to one ...
>>>

>> Heh, I'm not sure how your butcher would take my colloquialisms...

> If you ever get here and I have to opportunity to see you with our butcher,
> I will video it for posterity. Really, it should be hilarious)

Suddenly I have a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach...
;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/4/2014 10:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Heh, I'm not sure how your butcher would take my colloquialisms...

>> If you ever get here and I have to opportunity to see you with our
>> butcher,
>> I will video it for posterity. Really, it should be hilarious)
>>

> Suddenly I have a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach...

Huh
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 5:44 AM, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/3/2014 8:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 9/3/2014 12:44 PM, Mayo wrote:
>>>>
>>> I can see being a kid, grabbing this and taking it trick or treating ;-)

>> Lucky kid! I used to have an aluminum meat tenderizer that looked like a
>> hammer with pointy pyramids on one side. I was so very proud of that
>> thing but then it broke.

> I still have one of those, it sees occasional duty as an ice mallet.

It was while pounding ice that I broke the mallet. I'll probably never
pound ice again. That's a young man's game anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 12:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/4/2014 5:44 AM, Mayo wrote:

>>> Lucky kid! I used to have an aluminum meat tenderizer that looked like a
>>> hammer with pointy pyramids on one side. I was so very proud of that
>>> thing but then it broke.

>> I still have one of those, it sees occasional duty as an ice mallet.

> It was while pounding ice that I broke the mallet. I'll probably never
> pound ice again. That's a young man's game anyway.

LOL!

Yet another tradition done in by through the door icemakers...