Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okra Recipe (question)

A month or so ago I saw a recipe that sounded good in someone's blog. I saved it. Haven't made it yet.

Anyway, her recipe (minus spices, herbs, etc.), involves two pounds of fresh okra. Last time I was at the market I weighed out that amount just to see what it looked like.

She warned in her instructions not to be alarmed, that although there seems to be too much okra for the pot, it melts down quickly.

But after melting it down in oil the recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of water with 1/4 cup tomato paste to be added to the mix. To me that does not seem like enough liquid. But the person who puts out the blog told me not to worry after I contacted her by email and mentioned it.

2 pounds of okra is about $5. Not too expensive an experiment. But I was thinking of browning some chunks of meat before adding the okra. I'm just curious how the equations sound to any of you people. Does that sound like enough liquid to not just paint the okra but to give a bit of broth for pouring over rice or whatever? Thanks.

Oh, she swears that the slime disappears almost completely when cooked as she instructs. I can't say I'm an okra lover, or otherwise, only that it sounds like it would be great with some meat or even without over rice.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:36:11 PM UTC-5, Tommy Joe wrote:

> A month or so ago I saw a recipe that sounded good in someone's blog. I saved it. Haven't made it yet.
>
> But after melting it down in oil the recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of water with 1/4 cup tomato paste to be added to the mix. To me that does not seem like enough liquid. But the person who puts out the blog told me not to worry after I contacted her by email and mentioned it.
>
> Does that sound like enough liquid to not just paint the okra but to give a bit of broth for pouring over rice or whatever? Thanks.
>

> TJ

Why not contact the blogger and tell her you are questioning her recipe once again? Or better yet, cut the recipe in half and make it yourself so you can tell if the liquid is not enough. If it's not enough contact blogger and tell her she's a liar and can't cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat something else. ;-))
It is the epitome of yuck.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat something else. ;-))
> It is the epitome of yuck.
>
> N.

Why is it necessary to post one's dislike of certain vegetables?
Generally, I dislike beet and turnip greens, kale, broccoli, turnip,
cooked spinach (long cooked basil can't be distinguished from it),
cabbage cooked for more two minutes (except in Italian soups). There
I've said it and I will try to remember not to mention those dislikes
again! To me, okra fried crisp, Indian style, is quite good. Fried okra
is fine making a kind of raita and plain okra is OK in gumbo.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> Tommy Joe wrote:
>
>> A month or so ago I saw a recipe that sounded good in someone's blog. I
>> saved it. Haven't made it yet.
>>
>> Anyway, her recipe (minus spices, herbs, etc.), involves two pounds of fresh
>> okra. Last time I was at the market I weighed out that amount just to see
>> what it looked like.
>>
>> She warned in her instructions not to be alarmed, that although there seems
>> to be too much okra for the pot, it melts down quickly.
>>
>> But after melting it down in oil the recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of water
>> with 1/4 cup tomato paste to be added to the mix. To me that does not seem
>> like enough liquid. But the person who puts out the blog told me not to
>> worry after I contacted her by email and mentioned it.
>>
>> 2 pounds of okra is about $5. Not too expensive an experiment. But I was
>> thinking of browning some chunks of meat before adding the okra. I'm just
>> curious how the equations sound to any of you people. Does that sound like
>> enough liquid to not just paint the okra but to give a bit of broth for
>> pouring over rice or whatever? Thanks.
>>
>> Oh, she swears that the slime disappears almost completely when cooked as she
>> instructs. I can't say I'm an okra lover, or otherwise, only that it sounds
>> like it would be great with some meat or even without over rice.
>>
>> TJ

>Add more liquid if needed. The slime will cook away. Yep add some meat
>and serve with rice if you want. Okra takes very little thought or
>skill to cook. Just wing it. I usually make okra and tomatoes with
>canned diced or crushed tomatoes not paste and use a whole can for that
>amount of okra. (~14.5oz)
>
>Okra, onion, tomatoes. Sweat the okra and onion down and add tomatoes,
>salt, pinch of sugar and tabasco cook some more, eat. Of course place
>nicely arranged on a pretty plate prior to photographs and then eat.
>
>jay

I grow my own okra, when freshly harvested it's not at all slimey...
the slimeiness develops from sitting for days in the produce market so
they lose moisture and become viscous. I use okra in vegetable soups
but I also like it in ratatouille... I think dredged in cornmeal and
fried wastes okra... that's just an excuse for the wide assed
southerners to scarf down greezy cornmeal. The pods that grow too
large are still very usable, I slice them into 1/2" lengths, and
freeze them in zip-locs, then in cold weather I use them in stews and
soups, with long slow cooking they become tender.
http://www.fiveeurofood.com/2012/10/...-just-because/
http://i58.tinypic.com/2gsh2qd.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2lxhuev.jpg
Btw, okra plants produce gorgeous flowers.
http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-okra/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 12:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat something else. ;-))
> It is the epitome of yuck.
>
> N.

Send your unwanted okra to my house, all okra will be cheerfully accepted.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:57:07 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:

> Good idea. We don't really know what this recipe is supposed to turn
> out like. I've had stewed okra with tomatoes but I've never actually
> made it myself. I'm not sure what "melting it down in oil" means. I
> don't know how to melt okra.

Braised lamb with okra and tomatoes can be cooked either Greek-style or
as a curry. If you leave the caps on the okra they seem less slimy. I don't
like to cook with tomato paste myself, other than a squeeze here or there,
so I would probably use plum tomatoes, even canned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat something else. ;-))
>It is the epitome of yuck.

I agree

I grew it about 30 years ago and ate it a lot for a year or so, but
was never enthralled by it. A few years ago we tried making a gumbo (I
think it was) and again... meh. Not worth the effort, IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 2:12 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 6/12/2014 12:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat
>> something else. ;-))
>> It is the epitome of yuck.
>>
>> N.

> Send your unwanted okra to my house, all okra will be cheerfully accepted.
>
> Becca

I went to get my nails done today and the owner of the salon gave me a
big box of okra fresh from the farm. Her husband grows it. I ate a few
pieces of it raw. It's wonderful.

Tomorrow I'll sautee some with garlic and onions and maybe a bit of bell
pepper then add a can of HEB fire-roasted diced tomatoes and some basil.
I'll have extra, but I can freeze it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd love a recipe for picked okra if anyone has a T&T one.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just for fun, James, just for fun. BTW, I love beets in all their iterations. Feel free to fire at will.

I never was exposed to okra as I was growing up and my tastes were developing, likely because
as far as I can recall it is not a popular veg to grow here in the northern central US, or at least, among
my German-descendent family. ;-)). So when I first had it, and later, we were living in the south, and
I just never got used to the mouth feel. And don't say fried is good, because I can't eat it like that, either.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema, I will fax it to you. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, the Ball recipe I posted I have not tried, but Ball has never failed me when it comes
to pickles.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 7:29 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Janet, the Ball recipe I posted I have not tried, but Ball has never failed me when it comes
> to pickles.
>
> N.

I saved it. It looks like a good place to start. I might add some
garlic and onion and maybe pepper corns and mustard seed as well.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, that Ball recipe has 4 cloves of garlic in it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2014 3:09 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Janet, that Ball recipe has 4 cloves of garlic in it.
>
> N.

must have missed that

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:24:21 PM UTC-7, Nancy2 wrote:

> Just for fun, James, just for fun. BTW, I love beets in all their iterations. Feel free to fire at will.
>

> I never was exposed to okra as I was growing up and my tastes were developing, likely because
>
> as far as I can recall it is not a popular veg to grow here in the northern central US, or at least, among
>
> my German-descendent family. ;-)). So when I first had it, and later, we were living in the south, and

I got introduced to okra at Greek restaurants (bamies) and at Creole/Cajun
restaurants (gumbo is another word for okra, and the Gulf was just a
ride on the IC railroad away.

(Although the Greek alphabet has Beta, for words beginning with B, the
B sound is spelled Mu followed by Pi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> Add more liquid if needed. The slime will cook away. Yep add some meat
>
> and serve with rice if you want. Okra takes very little thought or
>
> skill to cook. Just wing it. I usually make okra and tomatoes with
>
> canned diced or crushed tomatoes not paste and use a whole can for that
>
> amount of okra. (~14.5oz)
>

> Okra, onion, tomatoes. Sweat the okra and onion down and add tomatoes,
>
> salt, pinch of sugar and tabasco cook some more, eat. Of course place
>
> nicely arranged on a pretty plate prior to photographs and then eat.

Funny, that hit my brain right after my post. The reason being that the sauce is so inexpensive. Water and tomato paste basically. It calls for 1 and 1/2 cups water and 1/4 cup paste. I can double that and add as the recipe dictates, then add more even after it's been cooked. I appreciate your response, haven't got to the others yet. I am going to post her recipe here. I will need to edit some stuff out because it takes up a lot of space. Stuff like how to cut the tips and ends off the okra a bunch at a time instead of just one at a time. I won't alter the recipe a bit. I liked it because it had a simple ring and reminded me of something my grandmother used to make.

Ingredients

* 2 lbs. okra (bamya)
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 onion, minced
* 1 tsp minced garlic
* 1/4 cup tomato paste
* 1 tsp salt, or more to taste
* 1 tsp smoked paprika (or substitute regular paprika)
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes - if spice sensitive, use sparingly or omit
* 1/4 tsp cayenne, or to taste

You will also need
Large saute pan with lid

Servings: 4 entree servings, 6-8 side servings

Prepare your okra by rinsing it clean, then slicing off the top and bottom tips of each piece. At this point the okra will feel slimy. Don't worry, it will lose that texture as it cooks.

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a saute pan over medium. Add the minced onion and saute, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes until softened and starting to caramelize.

When the onions are cooked, add the minced garlic to the pan and saute for another minute till fragrant. Add the okra to the pan and stir. It will feel like a lot of okra at first and the pan will be crowded, but it will quickly shrink up and soften as it cooks.

Whisk together 1 1/2 cups hot water, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and 1/4 tsp cayenne. Both the red pepper flakes and cayenne add heat; if you are super spice sensitive, omit the pepper flakes and start with a pinch of cayenne, then add more to taste as desired.

Pour the tomato liquid evenly over the top of the okra. Bring to a boil.

Cover the saute pan with a lid, vented at the edge. Reduce heat to a simmer.. Let the okra cook for about 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the largest pieces of okra have softened to your liking. At the end of cooking, your tomato sauce should have reduced and thickened. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, remove the lid and turn up the heat to a high simmer till the sauce has reduced (careful, don't let it burn!). Add more salt or spice to taste, if desired.

Serve okra hot. We usually eat it alone, but if we need a more substantial meal I serve it over rice, quinoa or couscous.

/////////////////////////////////////

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:17:56 PM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat something else. ;-))
>
> It is the epitome of yuck.

I can count the times I've eaten okra one one hand. I do not recall liking it. But I do remember my grandmother making it in a sauce and liking it without knowing what it was. It was just another green vegetable. I liked that.

But you're right - okra can be yucky. I've had it that way. But I'm going on a yucky foods kick starting this week. Why? Well, I see the day coming when food will become scarce and people will turn on each other, and the only way to get by is to eat stuff nobody else will eat yet - live bugs, fecal matter, 5 day old roadkill, whatever, yucky stuff - and by starting out now with okra and other yucky foods I will be giving myself a head start over other people when everything falls apart in a world of yuck.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 13, 2014 5:40:48 PM UTC-5, Tommy Joe wrote:

> Your sarcasm is appreciated. I have to hand it to you, you're right, both of you - it does sound like I'm calling the blogger a liar. Sorry, forget I ever asked. I'll handle it. I'm better than I give myself credit for. I lose confidence and feel the need to ask others how to do things I have not tried in a long time. How the others respond is up to them, so I must access all responses, sarcastic or otherwise, and learn from them. You are right, it does sound like I'm calling the blogger a liar (even thought I'm not - not consciously anyway). Wait, ok, ok, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I was calling her a liar. I didn't mean it, I'm sorry, please forgive me.
>
> TJ

Good grief, lighten up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 14, 2014 7:41:59 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Friday, June 13, 2014 5:40:48 PM UTC-5, Tommy Joe wrote:
>

> > Your sarcasm is appreciated. I have to hand it to you, you're right, both of you - it does sound like I'm calling the blogger a liar. Sorry, forget I ever asked. I'll handle it. I'm better than I give myself credit for. I lose confidence and feel the need to ask others how to do things I have not tried in a long time. How the others respond is up to them, so I must access all responses, sarcastic or otherwise, and learn from them. You are right, it does sound like I'm calling the blogger a liar (even thought I'm not - not consciously anyway). Wait, ok, ok, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I was calling her a liar. I didn't mean it, I'm sorry, please forgive me.

> > TJ

> Good grief, lighten up!

TJ is a very serious -- and sincere -- man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Good grief, lighten up!

Joan, I am sorry I forced you to say, "Lighten up." I did not mean to do that. I know my apology was over the top, but then so too was my infraction.. I did wrong and seek to make amends.

But you say my apology is over the top, that I should lighten up. What you do not understand Joan, is that my apology is not just to those I have wrong in this group, but in all groups, and through the world in general since the day of my birth. I am apologizing to the entire world. As such I would have to say that my apology - on a world wide scale - was really not much of an aplology at all. In fact, come to think of it, thanks for reminding me - I'm not sorry at all, about anything, ever - except for that time I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> TJ is a very serious -- and sincere -- man.

You delight and frighten me at the same time.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Braised lamb with okra and tomatoes can be cooked either Greek-style or
>
> as a curry. If you leave the caps on the okra they seem less slimy. I don't
>
> like to cook with tomato paste myself, other than a squeeze here or there,
>
> so I would probably use plum tomatoes, even canned.

My father's side was from Lebanon and Syria, all were great cooks. Hardly any canned products were used. One exception was tomato paste.

I can't claim to love okra. I've had it a number of times. I was pretty young but remember it in tomato sauce at my grandmother's house. Lamb was the main meat. Even raw. Leg of lamb ground up, very lean, and mixed with equal amounts of fine bulgar. I think a touch of allspice or cinnamon was added. That raw meat dish is called kibbee and I used to give it to kids in the neighborhood and they all loved it, although some would make a distasteful face after I told them it was raw meat.

Anyway, my grandmother made a variety of things including okra in tomato paste. I remember liking it. I am thinking of browning up some sirloin tips or something first, then putting the meat aside and making the okra dish as called for in the recipe and then adding the meat back in to simmer for half an hour or so. Your description reminded me of what my grandmother used to make. When I get around to making the recipe, my own way, I'll come back here and announce the results.

Thanks,

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-12 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat something else. ;-))
> It is the epitome of yuck.

LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen
frozen okra for sale once or twice... years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-12 1:30 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 6/12/2014 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat
>> something else. ;-))
>> It is the epitome of yuck.
>>
>> N.
>>

> Why is it necessary to post one's dislike of certain vegetables?
> Generally, I dislike beet and turnip greens, kale, broccoli, turnip,
> cooked spinach (long cooked basil can't be distinguished from it),
> cabbage cooked for more two minutes (except in Italian soups). There
> I've said it and I will try to remember not to mention those dislikes
> again! To me, okra fried crisp, Indian style, is quite good. Fried okra
> is fine making a kind of raita and plain okra is OK in gumbo.

OP seemed unsure about okra. It doesn't hurt to advise the curious that
the stuff may be a major disappointment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:23:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-06-12 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat something else. ;-))
> > It is the epitome of yuck.
> >

> LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
> is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
> never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen
> frozen okra for sale once or twice... years ago.

I've seen it sold fresh. Wish I deep fried, but I don't so I'll never
make fried okra (it's coated in cornmeal) - which can be addicting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 12:23 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-06-12 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat
>> something else. ;-))
>> It is the epitome of yuck.
>>

> LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
> is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
> never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen frozen
> okra for sale once or twice... years ago.

Fresh, small okra is pretty common in Indian stores around here. As I
said in the message you quote next it's quite good fried crisp.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in
:

> Fresh, small okra is pretty common in Indian stores around
> here. As I said in the message you quote next it's quite good
> fried crisp.

I wash the okra, then split it into quarters lengthwise and sauté
it in oil then pour a curry sauce over it and serve on steamed
rice.

--

Socialism never took root in America because the
poor there see themselves not as an exploited

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
news
> OP seemed unsure about okra. It doesn't hurt to advise the
> curious that the stuff may be a major disappointment.

Not if you think outside the box.

--

Socialism never took root in America because the
poor there see themselves not as an exploited
proletariat but as temporarily embarassed
millionaires. - John Steinbeck

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 11:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 9/24/2014 12:23 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2014-06-12 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat
>>> something else. ;-))
>>> It is the epitome of yuck.
>>>

>> LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
>> is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
>> never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen frozen
>> okra for sale once or twice... years ago.
>>

> Fresh, small okra is pretty common in Indian stores around here. As I
> said in the message you quote next it's quite good fried crisp.

it probably depends on where you live. Fresh okra is sold in the produce
section of every supermarket in my corner of Texas. Okra is my favorite
vegetable.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:52:07 AM UTC-7, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> On 9/24/2014 11:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > On 9/24/2014 12:23 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
> >> is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
> >> never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen frozen
> >> okra for sale once or twice... years ago.

> > Fresh, small okra is pretty common in Indian stores around here. As I
> > said in the message you quote next it's quite good fried crisp.

> it probably depends on where you live. Fresh okra is sold in the produce
> section of every supermarket in my corner of Texas. Okra is my favorite
> vegetable.

People can always try growing it for themselves. Related to the hibiscus,
okra's flowers are beautiful. My FIL would grow it in suburban Detroit.
It doesn't like cool nights, however.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-06-12 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat
>> something else. ;-))
>> It is the epitome of yuck.
>>

> LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
> is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
> never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen frozen
> okra for sale once or twice... years ago.

I use quite a bit of okra to make gumbo; I don't make it all that often,
but each batch takes a pound or two.

It's also good just rolled in cornmeal and fried (too greasy for me to
eat very often)

I had some kind of curry dish at a middle-eastern or Indian buffet that
was made with okra. I have no idea what it was, but it was very tasty
and I wish I knew enough about it to look up a recipe.

Boiled okra is :-P

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-24 1:44 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote in
> news >
>> OP seemed unsure about okra. It doesn't hurt to advise the
>> curious that the stuff may be a major disappointment.

> Not if you think outside the box.

Yes. I say your suggestion to do it with a curry sauce. That would cover
the okra taste ;-)

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Joe View Post
[...]

Unless somebody really appreciates the sliminess of Okry..it needs to be deslimed before use. That means dumping it into a big dry pot or skillet and frying the snot out of it. Takes about 20 mins or so. Keep tossing it over medium heat till it quits coughing up the slime. Then add it to mystery dish.A nice Cajun lady taught me that technique so its bound to be right. Brother Justeen Wilson knew that trick too. He has since went to the big Fa Do Do in the sky as we know.

Last edited by bigwheel : 25-09-2014 at 12:11 AM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 12:52 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> On 9/24/2014 11:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>>>

>>> LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
>>> is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
>>> never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen frozen
>>> okra for sale once or twice... years ago.
>>>

>> Fresh, small okra is pretty common in Indian stores around here. As I
>> said in the message you quote next it's quite good fried crisp.

> it probably depends on where you live. Fresh okra is sold in the produce
> section of every supermarket in my corner of Texas. Okra is my favorite
> vegetable.
>
> Becca

The woman who owns the salon where I get my nails done gave me a huge
box of fresh okra that her husband had grown on their farm.

I ate some of it raw (raw okra tastes really good) and I sauted some
after slicing it. I also stewed it with tomatoes. Okra and tomatoes is
one of my favorite dishes.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:32:38 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Okra and tomatoes is one of my favorite dishes.

Absolutely. It's delicious with cornbread or rice.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:23:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-06-12 1:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> > The best way to prepare okra is to toss it in the garbage and eat
>> > something else. ;-))
>> > It is the epitome of yuck.
>> >

>> LOL I have had it. It is not too too horrible. I can understand why it
>> is not very popular here. I can't say for absolute sure than I have
>> never seen in sold fresh, but I don't remember when. I have seen
>> frozen okra for sale once or twice... years ago.

> I've seen it sold fresh. Wish I deep fried, but I don't so I'll never
> make fried okra (it's coated in cornmeal) - which can be addicting.

Although you can occasionally see it in the produce section here, it is far
from from fresh. We grew our own in Wichita and my mom did deep fry it. It
was sooo good.

okra recipe Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Diabetic 0 14-09-2007 04:49 PM
Ping Lin: I want your fried okra recipe Christine Dabney General Cooking 0 03-09-2007 06:47 PM
Question about Okra mobile Preserving 2 22-07-2007 07:47 PM
okra pickle recipe ...?????? Kate Preserving 11 28-08-2005 03:47 PM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM