Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sur La Table, yay!

I got an email that they had some nonstick items up to 80% off. So I got
their brand of grill pan. Was about half price. I've never had a grill pan
before. Also got a large platter (Maya) which I really needed. I had no
platter. This was reg. 49.99 and I got it for $19.99! A Jumbo nonstick
muffin pan for $6.96, Reg. $16.95 and the last item was reg. price at
$14.00. A Khun Rikon Mezzaluna. I have no such device and I like their
brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:02:46 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I got an email that they had some nonstick items up to 80% off. So I got
>> their brand of grill pan.

> You can't grill on a non-stick surface unless it's made out of cast
> iron. There is no more useless pan than an aluminum "grill pan".
>
> Better luck next time.

We'll see.

>> Was about half price. I've never had a grill pan
>> before. Also got a large platter (Maya) which I really needed. I had no
>> platter. This was reg. 49.99 and I got it for $19.99! A Jumbo nonstick
>> muffin pan for $6.96, Reg. $16.95 and the last item was reg. price at
>> $14.00. A Khun Rikon Mezzaluna. I have no such device and I like their
>> brand.

> You must have a bunch of useless crap in your house that you don't
> need or even know how to use properly. But it was all on sale so you
> saved money - that's what counts!

No. I have no useless stuff. I have never in my life owned a platter and
there are times that I need one. Had I played my cards right, I could have
gotten one of my mom's and they would actually match my dishes. But she
gave them away before I could ask. I had a jumbo muffin pan some years ago
but they do go bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-03, Sqwertz > wrote:

> You can't grill on a non-stick surface unless it's made out of cast
> iron. There is no more useless pan than an aluminum "grill pan".

I'va buncha commercial grade cookware. Yet, still have two cheapo WW
alum non-stick skillets. Perfect for eggs, warming flour tortillas,
grilled cheese sammys, etc. No scratches, no flaking --admittedly, no
uniform heat-- recently hadda tighten the handle screw, etc. But,
they work flawlessly and I use 'em almost every day. Cheap junk?
Definitely. Infinitely usefull? Damn skippy! Jes gotta be smarter
than the tool.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-03, Sqwertz > wrote:

> many things, but not steak or burgers. That is a job best left to
> seasoned cast-iron. Or at least stainless steel.

Agree.

The one style I've never understood is hardened alum (anodized) in a
circular ridge pattern, like Circulon. WTF!? Anodized sucks, in the
first place, and what do the circular ridges buy you, except a buncha
hader-to-clean crevices between the ridges? What is this stuff?
Flaggelation-Ware?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:02:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I was specifically referring to *grilling*. It sounds like she has
>those useless Teflon-coated grill pans with the ridges in them. Which
>is what I'm referring to when I say useless. I use non-stick pans for
>many things, but not steak or burgers. That is a job best left to
>seasoned cast-iron. Or at least stainless steel.

Tefal makes a cast aluminum grill pan that's quite good. I've since
switched to ceramic-clad cast iron but until those became available
here, I found cast aluminum to do a very respectabl job indeed. The
surface was not coated with Teflon or anything non-sticky that could
be scratched or peeled off but it did seem to be anodized. And yes it
was ridged but so are my Hechas.

--
Anne's Little Brother Bob

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2014 12:42 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:02:46 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Was about half price. I've never had a grill pan
>> before. Also got a large platter (Maya) which I really needed. I had no
>> platter. This was reg. 49.99 and I got it for $19.99! A Jumbo nonstick
>> muffin pan for $6.96, Reg. $16.95 and the last item was reg. price at
>> $14.00. A Khun Rikon Mezzaluna. I have no such device and I like their
>> brand.

> You must have a bunch of useless crap in your house that you don't
> need or even know how to use properly. But it was all on sale so you
> saved money - that's what counts!
>
> -sw

Come on, Steve! Aren't you keeping up? Because of the new roof and her
new car... yes, she can afford to buy a "grill pan", and a JUMBO
nonstick muffin pan. And a mezzaluna. It's online! It's on sale!

Sorry, I simply don't understand it. I don't shop compulsively.

Having a serving platter is nice. I have a couple of them. Then again,
I've *always* had at least one serving platter. Big enough for serving
a nicely roasted chicken or a chuck roast. I started buying my
dishes/tableware when I was in my teens. I'd buy the matching pieces to
make sure I had a full serving set. I'm not talking expensive stuff,
here. I'm talking circa 1979 Corelle. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message ...
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> No. I have no useless stuff.

> Now you do! A non-stick/coated grill pan is useless for grilling.
> Super heat is what makes for good grilling. When you super heat the
> coating .. bye bye coating and you don't need ridges to pan sear a
> steak. In fact they are in the way of getting the full surface of the
> meat onto the HOT surface of the griddle.
>
> I use non stick for medium low to low heat cooking only. No telling
> what overheated coatings will do for you.
>
> If surly table has something for 80% off .. beware.. it's because no one
> bought any of dat one. Guess why?.. They're useless! Most likely those
> kinds of items folks buy to give away. Looks like they spent something
> but didn't.
>
> BTW a platter doesn't have to match your dishes. Your muffin pan went
> bad? .. most have had a cheap non-stick coating.
>
> jay

The one I had wasn't non-stick. It was from the 1980's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/3/2014 12:42 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:02:46 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Was about half price. I've never had a grill pan
>>> before. Also got a large platter (Maya) which I really needed. I had
>>> no
>>> platter. This was reg. 49.99 and I got it for $19.99! A Jumbo nonstick
>>> muffin pan for $6.96, Reg. $16.95 and the last item was reg. price at
>>> $14.00. A Khun Rikon Mezzaluna. I have no such device and I like their
>>> brand.

>> You must have a bunch of useless crap in your house that you don't
>> need or even know how to use properly. But it was all on sale so you
>> saved money - that's what counts!
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Come on, Steve! Aren't you keeping up? Because of the new roof and her
> new car... yes, she can afford to buy a "grill pan", and a JUMBO nonstick
> muffin pan. And a mezzaluna. It's online! It's on sale!
>
> Sorry, I simply don't understand it. I don't shop compulsively.
>
> Having a serving platter is nice. I have a couple of them. Then again,
> I've *always* had at least one serving platter. Big enough for serving a
> nicely roasted chicken or a chuck roast. I started buying my
> dishes/tableware when I was in my teens. I'd buy the matching pieces to
> make sure I had a full serving set. I'm not talking expensive stuff,
> here. I'm talking circa 1979 Corelle. LOL

I only have Correlle and a cheap set of China that Angela got me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2014 5:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> . Your muffin pan went
>> bad? .. most have had a cheap non-stick coating.
>>
>> jay

> The one I had wasn't non-stick. It was from the 1980's.

No need for non-stick. Lightly oil the wells, spoon in the batter.
Yes, I have baked muffins. Not sweet cupcake-like sugar laden coffee
shop extra large muffins.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/3/2014 5:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> . Your muffin pan went
>>> bad? .. most have had a cheap non-stick coating.
>>>
>>> jay

>> The one I had wasn't non-stick. It was from the 1980's.

> No need for non-stick. Lightly oil the wells, spoon in the batter. Yes, I
> have baked muffins. Not sweet cupcake-like sugar laden coffee shop extra
> large muffins.

I just use the paper wrappers. But the pan I had was a cheap one to begin
with and they do look pretty cruddy over time. Plus I quit baking as in
totally. Got rid of all of my baking pans save for my Air Bake cookie
sheets as they were expensive. Also kept a few of my cake pans such as the
9 x 12 as they are sometimes used for other things. Recently I have been
doing cornbread in muffin tins. And the only ones I have now are the
regular and the mini. I bought those for doing gluten free Zucchini bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:59:42 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> The one I had wasn't non-stick. It was from the 1980's.

Non stick was around in the 1960s.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:59:42 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> The one I had wasn't non-stick. It was from the 1980's.

> Non stick was around in the 1960s.

I don't think it was on bakeware until recently.

Sur la Table Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 15 09-08-2010 12:45 AM
Periodical Table Kswck General Cooking 2 15-09-2009 12:48 AM
table manners Rescue General Cooking 39 01-03-2006 04:56 AM
TABLE FOR TWO -EXCITING! Table For Two General 0 16-04-2004 01:51 AM