Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default table manners

did you know, if you get meat on you plate, and it has a bone in it,
you can pick it up.
that's acceptable

if you eat hot peppers and need to blow your nose, just blow it and
blow it good, blow out the candles! this is acceptable

A gentlemen can stuff a cloth napkin onto
a lady's lap, come in at an angle, push
the napkin across her thighs, don't worry that your
hands may brush her legs, is aight you're being a
gentlemen

if you burp..giggle and say..scuse me...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

**** off, Barry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Benhua! wrote:
> **** off, Barry.

you still getting off to sailor moon?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You still getting off with your special friends behing Dearington?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rescue" > wrote in news:1140761359.086654.10890
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> did you know, if you get meat on you plate, and it has a bone in it,
> you can pick it up.
> that's acceptable
>
> if you eat hot peppers and need to blow your nose, just blow it and
> blow it good, blow out the candles! this is acceptable
>
> A gentlemen can stuff a cloth napkin onto
> a lady's lap, come in at an angle, push
> the napkin across her thighs, don't worry that your
> hands may brush her legs, is aight you're being a
> gentlemen
>
> if you burp..giggle and say..scuse me...

Barry,

Well that certainly was in poor taste, imho.

PLONK!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Benhua! wrote:
> You still getting off with your special friends behing Dearington?

you still walking down that broad path?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Well that certainly was in poor taste, imho.
>
> PLONK!

I think Andy must have fell in.

That's what you get Andy, crapping where you eat!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Rescue" > wrote in news:1140761359.086654.10890
> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>

>>did you know, if you get meat on you plate, and it has a bone in it,
>>you can pick it up.
>>that's acceptable
>>
>>if you eat hot peppers and need to blow your nose, just blow it and
>>blow it good, blow out the candles! this is acceptable
>>
>>A gentlemen can stuff a cloth napkin onto
>>a lady's lap, come in at an angle, push
>>the napkin across her thighs, don't worry that your
>>hands may brush her legs, is aight you're being a
>>gentlemen
>>
>>if you burp..giggle and say..scuse me...

> Barry,
>
> Well that certainly was in poor taste, imho.
>
> PLONK!
>
> Andy

He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> "Rescue" > wrote in
>> news:1140761359.086654.10890 @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>> did you know, if you get meat on you plate, and it has a bone in it,
>>> you can pick it up.
>>> that's acceptable
>>>

>> Well that certainly was in poor taste, imho.
>>
>> PLONK!
>>

> He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.
>
> Bob

Unless it's a pork chop smothered in gravy

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.
>
> Bob

Never too old to learn... and I thought it was "only if it had wings"

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> "Rescue" > wrote in
>>> news:1140761359.086654.10890 @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

>>> Well that certainly was in poor taste, imho.
>>>
>>> PLONK!
>>>

>> He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss
>> Manners.
>>
>> Bob

> Unless it's a pork chop smothered in gravy
>
> Jill

Gravy or not, I would eat a steak or chop with a knife and fork until I
got down to just the bone, and then pick it up and gnaw the last bits
off of the bone -- daintily, of course.

Maybe that's why most meat is sold boneless these days; to save the
hostess the embarrassment of having guests eat with their fingers. ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.

I don't believe that to be correct.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote

> Gravy or not, I would eat a steak or chop with a knife and fork until I
> got down to just the bone, and then pick it up and gnaw the last bits
> off of the bone -- daintily, of course.

Except for the dainty part, that's how I eat pork chops, which
I was relentlessly razzed about, still makes me laugh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

> > He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.

> I don't believe that to be correct.

what do you do with a turkey leg?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:55:19 -0600, zxcvbob >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.

Well, there are limits, I'd daresay. You wouldn't pick up an entire
t-bone and start gnawing away and anything with a sauce or gravy is
verboten. Common sense is a wonderous thing.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Feb 2006 18:34:14 -0800, "Rescue" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Default User wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>

>> > He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.

>> I don't believe that to be correct.

>what do you do with a turkey leg?

Cut it off the bone unless you're at a fair. Then you can wander about
gnawing on it. Etiquette does not apply to fairs <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rescue wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:
> >

> > > He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss
> > > Manners.

> > I don't believe that to be correct.

> what do you do with a turkey leg?

Knife and fork, it such a thing is served whole. It really shouldn't be.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Knife and fork, it such a thing is served whole. It really shouldn't be.

how do you feel about hot searing painful ass gas at the table?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Default User" says:
> > Rescue wrote:

> >> what do you do with a turkey leg?

> > Knife and fork, it such a thing is served whole. It really shouldn't be.

> Now and then they would serve them (whole) in the cafeteria at my former
> employer's. It was a chore to eat. One did not want to look like a cave
> man in the cafeteria by gnawing on it whole so one struggled with knife and
> fork.

Unless you're Jim Bowie or a Samurai warrior you eat poultry legs with
your fingers. How do you eat ribs? When eating somewhere that serves
meat on the bone then it's perfectly correct to gnaw the bones. I've
never seen anyone yet carving chicken off the bone at KFC. If the host
serves meat on the bone at a formal dinner then they are the clod, and
even a bigger clod if they scowl when guests use their fingers... the
pinheaded imbecile served it! DUH!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> > > Knife and fork, it such a thing is served whole. It really shouldn't

be.

> > Now and then they would serve them (whole) in the cafeteria at my former
> > employer's. It was a chore to eat. One did not want to look like a cave
> > man in the cafeteria by gnawing on it whole so one struggled with knife

and
> > fork.

> Unless you're Jim Bowie or a Samurai warrior you eat poultry legs with
> your fingers. How do you eat ribs? When eating somewhere that serves
> meat on the bone then it's perfectly correct to gnaw the bones. I've
> never seen anyone yet carving chicken off the bone at KFC. If the host
> serves meat on the bone at a formal dinner then they are the clod, and
> even a bigger clod if they scowl when guests use their fingers... the
> pinheaded imbecile served it! DUH!

Sheldon, I've been known to eat a rib with chopstix. I know, I know, but
I'm one of the kind that hates to get their fingers greasy. My husband
makes fun of me constantly for it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> "Default User" says:

>>> Now and then they would serve them (whole) in the cafeteria at my
>>> former employer's. It was a chore to eat. One did not want to look
>>> like a cave man in the cafeteria by gnawing on it whole so one
>>> struggled with knife and fork.

>> Unless you're Jim Bowie or a Samurai warrior you eat poultry legs
>> with your fingers. How do you eat ribs? When eating somewhere that
>> serves meat on the bone then it's perfectly correct to gnaw the
>> bones. I've never seen anyone yet carving chicken off the bone at
>> KFC. If the host serves meat on the bone at a formal dinner then
>> they are the clod, and even a bigger clod if they scowl when guests
>> use their fingers... the pinheaded imbecile served it! DUH!
>>

> Sheldon, I've been known to eat a rib with chopstix. I know, I know,
> but I'm one of the kind that hates to get their fingers greasy. My
> husband makes fun of me constantly for it.
>
> kili

But we all know you're kooky Maybe you should invest in some of those
moist towelettes. Or adopt the Asian culture method of having a finger bowl
and hot towel at the table for cleaning your hands with!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> Now and then they would serve them (whole) in the cafeteria at my former
> employer's. It was a chore to eat. One did not want to look like a cave
> man in the cafeteria by gnawing on it whole so one struggled with knife
> and
> fork.

I saw someone at Disney knawing at a turkey leg, I'd seen them
sold but couldn't believe they were meant to be eaten at the
festival, just walking around.

Yeah, it looked as bad as I thought it would, even though
how else would you eat it at a park? Awkward.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Rescue" > wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
> > If at mother's home one uses a knife and fork. In my home ya' pick it up
> > with fingers and eat it.

> if I served my guests meat on a bone
> and seen that they was not quite sure
>
> i would grope my bone in front of them..see...this would make everyone
> more comfortable..
>
> your right! the host can set the tone
>
> --
>
> here is another that I don't always adhere to, but I think I know the
> rule.
>
> when you are having peas...and you get down to the last few peas...
> how to get them on your butterknife?...
>
> if you had bread left, you could scoot them on with bread
>
> i think it is ugly to use your fingers in a situation like this
> (scooting peas onto your knife with your fingers)
>
> one should use another utinsel to finish the job

Reminds of the verse my FIL used to quote. "I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, but it keeps
them on the knife."

Rosemary
--
To e-mail me remove the obvious before @ and change sinuswave to sinewave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:19:22 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> I saw someone at Disney knawing at a turkey leg, I'd seen them
> sold but couldn't believe they were meant to be eaten at the
> festival, just walking around.

> Yeah, it looked as bad as I thought it would, even though
> how else would you eat it at a park? Awkward.
>
> nancy

Yep, they figured out how to get rid of the turkey leg sorta like the
chicken wing. The main reason the parks sell that "cave man" thing is
because it comes with a handle. I won't start on the chicken wing, but
the popes nose is next.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote on 26 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Speaking of noses; seen Michael Jackson's nose lately?
>
> Michael
> --
> "It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun."
> _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Why, has it run away again?

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rescue wrote:

> when you are having peas...and you get down to the last few peas...
> how to get them on your butterknife?...
>
> if you had bread left, you could scoot them on with bread
>
> i think it is ugly to use your fingers in a situation like this
> (scooting peas onto your knife with your fingers)
>
> one should use another utinsel to finish the job

You mean you never learned the classic rhyme?

"I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It may taste kind of funny
But it keeps them on my knife."

Don't know the source, but my mom used to say that every time we chased
the loose peas around our plates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in news:1140970932.939826.321740
@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

> Rescue wrote:
>
>> when you are having peas...and you get down to the last few peas...
>> how to get them on your butterknife?...
>>
>> if you had bread left, you could scoot them on with bread
>>
>> i think it is ugly to use your fingers in a situation like this
>> (scooting peas onto your knife with your fingers)
>>
>> one should use another utinsel to finish the job

> You mean you never learned the classic rhyme?
>
> "I eat my peas with honey
> I've done it all my life
> It may taste kind of funny
> But it keeps them on my knife."
>
> Don't know the source, but my mom used to say that every time we chased
> the loose peas around our plates.

What kind of peas? Peas on a knife? I use my fork and mask them between
the tines. Same with corn and beans,etc.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> (actually the wing is my fave). At my mother's she always
> removes the meat from the bone except on ribs.

there's more meat on a wing than most people know

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>
>> Now and then they would serve them (whole) in the cafeteria at my
>> former employer's. It was a chore to eat. One did not want to look
>> like a cave man in the cafeteria by gnawing on it whole so one
>> struggled with knife and
>> fork.

> I saw someone at Disney knawing at a turkey leg, I'd seen them
> sold but couldn't believe they were meant to be eaten at the
> festival, just walking around.
>
> Yeah, it looked as bad as I thought it would, even though
> how else would you eat it at a park? Awkward.
>
> nancy

It's very common at state fairs and such. And where I used to work, a
certain group of people would occasionally take orders "who wants turkey
legs?" and one guy would go to some place (no idea where) and pick them up.
Then these folks would sit at their desks gnawing on turkey legs. They
*are* delicious but it wasn't very attractive.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I think it all depends on the way one was brought up. At home we gnaw ribs,
> turkey legs (actually the wing is my fave). At my mother's she always
> removes the meat from the bone except on ribs.

we had too many children at home..until I Left home...I never knew a
chicken did anything but fly and crap

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:38:14 +0000, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> jay > hitched up their panties and posted
> news

>> Yep, they figured out how to get rid of the turkey leg sorta like the
>> chicken wing. The main reason the parks sell that "cave man" thing is
>> because it comes with a handle. I won't start on the chicken wing, but
>> the popes nose is next.

> Speaking of noses; seen Michael Jackson's nose lately?
>
> Michael

Michael Jackson is like some other things around here..I try not to look.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>>
>>> Now and then they would serve them (whole) in the cafeteria at my
>>> former employer's. It was a chore to eat. One did not want to look
>>> like a cave man in the cafeteria by gnawing on it whole so one
>>> struggled with knife and
>>> fork.

>> I saw someone at Disney knawing at a turkey leg, I'd seen them
>> sold but couldn't believe they were meant to be eaten at the
>> festival, just walking around.
>>
>> Yeah, it looked as bad as I thought it would, even though
>> how else would you eat it at a park? Awkward.
>>
>> nancy

> It's very common at state fairs and such. And where I used to work, a
> certain group of people would occasionally take orders "who wants
> turkey legs?" and one guy would go to some place (no idea where) and
> pick them up. Then these folks would sit at their desks gnawing on
> turkey legs. They *are* delicious but it wasn't very attractive.
>
> Jill

Jill,

When Disney had a show about their restaurants, they showcased the turkey
legs as if they were a delicacy.

It reminded me of the Flintsones pulling up to the brontosaurus burger
joint at the beginning of the cartoon (WHEN I WAS A KID!!!).

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Feb 2006 08:22:12 -0800, Jude wrote:

> Don't know the source, but my mom used to say that every time we chased
> the loose peas around our plates.

In victorian times, they had a special utensil to keep food stationary
so you could get it onto the fork. I've taken to using my knife for
that purpose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:37:39 GMT, jay > rummaged among
random neurons and opined:

>Michael Jackson is like some other things around here..I try not to look.

Michael Jackson and his entourage walked right by me at Paris casino
in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. Could have reached out and touched
him <shudder> He's creepier lookin' in person than on TV.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Rescue" > wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > (actually the wing is my fave). At my mother's she always
> > removes the meat from the bone except on ribs.

> there's more meat on a wing than most people know

Shut up, ok? You're going to drive the price up on them if people find
out.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote ...

> In victorian times, they had a special utensil to keep food stationary
> so you could get it onto the fork. I've taken to using my knife for
> that purpose.
> --

Was this anything like the little silver pusher I used in my childhood (uh,
late 20s/early 30s) that helped us push food onto a little fork?
It was a handy dandy little tool, and my children and grandchildren also
used it.

| |
| |
__| |__
|_____|

real photo at www.eastwelldesign.com/ i/products/ep406.jpg

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:49:21 -0500, Felice Friese wrote:

> "sf" wrote ...
>
> > In victorian times, they had a special utensil to keep food stationary
> > so you could get it onto the fork. I've taken to using my knife for
> > that purpose.
> > --

> Was this anything like the little silver pusher I used in my childhood (uh,
> late 20s/early 30s) that helped us push food onto a little fork?
> It was a handy dandy little tool, and my children and grandchildren also
> used it.

That be the one I'm thinking about. Didn't know it was that "new"!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:49:21 -0500, Felice Friese wrote:
>>
>> "sf" wrote ...
>>
>> > In victorian times, they had a special utensil to keep food stationary
>> > so you could get it onto the fork. I've taken to using my knife for
>> > that purpose.
>> > --

>> Was this anything like the little silver pusher I used in my childhood
>> (uh,
>> late 20s/early 30s) that helped us push food onto a little fork?
>> It was a handy dandy little tool, and my children and grandchildren also
>> used it.

> That be the one I'm thinking about. Didn't know it was that "new"!
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

Oh, I doubt they were "new" even in the 20s! Most of the ones I've seen have
a definite Victorian feel to them. Sure beats fingers!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > "Rescue" > wrote in news:1140761359.086654.10890
> > @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
> >

> >>did you know, if you get meat on you plate, and it has a bone in it,
> >>you can pick it up.
> >>that's acceptable

> He's right about meat served on-the-bone, according to Miss Manners.

Ok, it took a little while to get Miss Manners' guide to Eating sent
over from the library.

Here's what she says about chops:

"In any but the most informal family meals, chops should not be picked
up . . . "

On poultry:

"We all know plainly cooked poultry tastes better when eaten from the
hands, but it is permissable to eat it that way only at picnics and
very informal dinners."

Among the things that are permitted to be eaten with the fingers
include: chips, nuts, canapes, asparagus, artichokes, frog's legs,
sandwiches.

Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "In any but the most informal family meals, chops should not be picked
> up . . . "

she'd probably faint at my house
i would be happy to oblige her

this is sooo subjective

who died and left her in charge of manners

HAD IT SENT OVER FROM THE LIBRARY?!?

you coulda saved your call...I make all the rules
I sez what is polite and what is not!

the rule is whatever is practical

the thing is..if I can't get it with my knife...im goin pick it up
why not! who cares!

another rule in manners is that the host makes the rules
if you're in rome do as the romans

some cultures think it is a insult if you do not belch! this is true
I don't know which, i just know it's true...

some people eat with their fingers and some with wooden sticks

what do we call ourselves doing...
I've seen dainty women wrestle with a big ol bone
and had no inclination or idea to stick it in their mouth
whats the problem?

WE GONNA EAT OR WE GONNA STARVE TO DEATH

you're killin me smalls, your killin me