Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default chicken breasts

Seems that in my area (Bay Area above SF), chicken breasts have been
getting larger over the past few years. A lot of the ones at the local
(small chain) super clock in at about a pound per side (i.e. 2 lb. per
bird), and that's with the tenderloins removed.

Also (and this is the real question), many of the breasts have parts
with a texture which is "tougher"; finer grained, almost crunchy, even.
This is true whether the piece is cooked whole and then sliced, or cut
up and then cooked. Sautéed, grilled, oven-cooked -- doesn't matter.

Sometimes I can notice it when I'm cutting the raw chicken, too, so I
don't think it's due to the cooking process.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what causes it?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-28, isw > wrote:

> (small chain) super clock in at about a pound per side (i.e. 2 lb. per
> bird), and that's with the tenderloins removed.

Factory farm chickens ARE being bread for larger breasts. So large,
in fact, they have reached the size where their legs cannot fully support
their enormous size and they must drop down on the feces covered
ground quite often. Yum!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
]...
> Seems that in my area (Bay Area above SF), chicken breasts have been
> getting larger over the past few years. A lot of the ones at the local
> (small chain) super clock in at about a pound per side (i.e. 2 lb. per
> bird), and that's with the tenderloins removed.
>
> Also (and this is the real question), many of the breasts have parts
> with a texture which is "tougher"; finer grained, almost crunchy, even.
> This is true whether the piece is cooked whole and then sliced, or cut
> up and then cooked. Sautéed, grilled, oven-cooked -- doesn't matter.
>
> Sometimes I can notice it when I'm cutting the raw chicken, too, so I
> don't think it's due to the cooking process.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what causes it?
>
> Isaac

What kind of chicken are you buying? I will buy Foster Farms once in a
while, only if the store has no organic chicken which is what I normally
buy. I don't eat chicken myself and I used to cook it for too long. People
here straightened me out and now no more complaints. I have not noticed
that the breasts are any bigger unless I buy them at Costco. Seems that
almost everything they buy are bigger!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2014 21:46:44 -0700, isw > wrote:

>Seems that in my area (Bay Area above SF), chicken breasts have been
>getting larger over the past few years. A lot of the ones at the local
>(small chain) super clock in at about a pound per side (i.e. 2 lb. per
>bird), and that's with the tenderloins removed.
>
>Also (and this is the real question), many of the breasts have parts
>with a texture which is "tougher"; finer grained, almost crunchy, even.
>This is true whether the piece is cooked whole and then sliced, or cut
>up and then cooked. Sautéed, grilled, oven-cooked -- doesn't matter.
>
>Sometimes I can notice it when I'm cutting the raw chicken, too, so I
>don't think it's due to the cooking process.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what causes it?
>
>Isaac

Oh heavens yes!!! Chickens with the biggest tits I've even seen! I'm
sure it's caused primarily by selective breeding over and over for the
chickens with the largest thickest pectoral muscles, combined with all
the antibiotics, growth hormines and all the other horrible DRUGS they
administer to the chickens while they keep them cooped up in those
tiny "as small as possible to maximize the number of chickens per
acre" they grow. Industrial farming at it best, worst and weirdest.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2014 11:46 PM, isw wrote:
> Seems that in my area (Bay Area above SF), chicken breasts have been
> getting larger over the past few years. A lot of the ones at the local
> (small chain) super clock in at about a pound per side (i.e. 2 lb. per
> bird), and that's with the tenderloins removed.
>
> Also (and this is the real question), many of the breasts have parts
> with a texture which is "tougher"; finer grained, almost crunchy, even.
> This is true whether the piece is cooked whole and then sliced, or cut
> up and then cooked. Sautéed, grilled, oven-cooked -- doesn't matter.
>
> Sometimes I can notice it when I'm cutting the raw chicken, too, so I
> don't think it's due to the cooking process.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what causes it?

They've been breeding chickens to be larger overall for a good many
years now. It's become a problem for the places that serve wings,
because the wings are now so large, they have to reduce the number of
wings in a portion, which doesn't look good on the menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:19:20 AM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> They've been breeding chickens to be larger overall for a good many
> years now. It's become a problem for the places that serve wings,
> because the wings are now so large, they have to reduce the number of
> wings in a portion, which doesn't look good on the menu.

Unfortunately it seems that the selected breeding has
resulted in less taste. It would be nice/interesting
if chickens were selected for better taste, not bigger
breasts.

http:/www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 12:36:00 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:19:20 AM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> >
> > They've been breeding chickens to be larger overall for a good many
> > years now. It's become a problem for the places that serve wings,
> > because the wings are now so large, they have to reduce the number of
> > wings in a portion, which doesn't look good on the menu.

> Unfortunately it seems that the selected breeding has
> resulted in less taste. It would be nice/interesting
> if chickens were selected for better taste, not bigger
> breasts.

They'd probably taste better if they were fed better.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2014 12:36:00 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:19:20 AM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> > >
> > > They've been breeding chickens to be larger overall for a good many
> > > years now. It's become a problem for the places that serve wings,
> > > because the wings are now so large, they have to reduce the number of
> > > wings in a portion, which doesn't look good on the menu.

> > Unfortunately it seems that the selected breeding has
> > resulted in less taste. It would be nice/interesting
> > if chickens were selected for better taste, not bigger
> > breasts.
> >

> They'd probably taste better if they were fed better.

They're fed well, it's a breed thing. The same issue applies to the
5gal/day cow breeds, strawberries, bananas, etc. where the varieties
with higher production and/or better shipping tolerance also have the
least flavor. We lost the tastiest banana variety to a blight, and the
replacement variety is nice and resilient and durable in shipping, but
has poor flavor. The varieties of strawberries that are largest and thus
the least labor to pick are also pretty bland compared to the small more
labor intensive varieties.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 2:36 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:19:20 AM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>
>> They've been breeding chickens to be larger overall for a good many
>> years now. It's become a problem for the places that serve wings,
>> because the wings are now so large, they have to reduce the number of
>> wings in a portion, which doesn't look good on the menu.

> Unfortunately it seems that the selected breeding has
> resulted in less taste. It would be nice/interesting
> if chickens were selected for better taste, not bigger
> breasts.

Part of the loss of flavor is connected to the much shortened time
from chick to slaughter. It's only a few weeks now. The chickens are
so young, they haven't got much taste.

I will pay the higher prices for traditionally-raised chickens, just
to get chicken that tastes as it should.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:18:09 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> Part of the loss of flavor is connected to the much shortened time
> from chick to slaughter. It's only a few weeks now. The chickens are
> so young, they haven't got much taste.

I don't think it's age. After all, in countries such as France
the younger (smaller) chickens are considered desirable as they
have a better flavor. It's just that taste has not been an
important factor in selection.

http://www.richardfisher.com
http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 3:18 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> Part of the loss of flavor is connected to the much shortened time from
> chick to slaughter. It's only a few weeks now. The chickens are so
> young, they haven't got much taste.
>
> I will pay the higher prices for traditionally-raised chickens, just to
> get chicken that tastes as it should.

One of our friends raised chickens and they were harvested when the
chickens were 8 weeks old.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 15:07:54 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> The varieties of strawberries that are largest and thus
> the least labor to pick are also pretty bland compared to the small more
> labor intensive varieties.

I don't know what you consider big or small, but I've had some pretty
tasty big strawberries that I thought were big.... and I've even had
very tasty winter strawberries, grown in Southern California. <shrug>

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 14:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:18:09 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> >
> > Part of the loss of flavor is connected to the much shortened time
> > from chick to slaughter. It's only a few weeks now. The chickens are
> > so young, they haven't got much taste.
> >

> I don't think it's age. After all, in countries such as France
> the younger (smaller) chickens are considered desirable as they
> have a better flavor. It's just that taste has not been an
> important factor in selection.

I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
to be smokers.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 5:30 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2014 15:07:54 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
>> The varieties of strawberries that are largest and thus
>> the least labor to pick are also pretty bland compared to the small more
>> labor intensive varieties.

> I don't know what you consider big or small, but I've had some pretty
> tasty big strawberries that I thought were big.... and I've even had
> very tasty winter strawberries, grown in Southern California. <shrug>

I'm sure it makes quite a difference if they are grown nearby.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-28, jmcquown > wrote:

> I'm sure it makes quite a difference if they are grown nearby.

To who?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 5:36 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-05-28, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I'm sure it makes quite a difference if they are grown nearby.

> To who?

To the people who get to buy locally grown fruits and vegetables, as
opposed to having them trucked in from another state/country.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2014 15:07:54 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> > The varieties of strawberries that are largest and thus
> > the least labor to pick are also pretty bland compared to the small more
> > labor intensive varieties.

> I don't know what you consider big or small, but I've had some pretty
> tasty big strawberries that I thought were big.... and I've even had
> very tasty winter strawberries, grown in Southern California. <shrug>

There are a few larger varieties that taste decent, but aren't popular
with most growers for other reasons such as disease susceptibility or
tendency for misshapen fruit. The common large varieties produce fairly
uniform fruit a good 1" dia x 1.5" long, but they have mediocre taste.
NPR has a story on this in the last year or so.

NPR also had a piece on the banana situation, both the taste issues with
the current commercial variety, the history of the loss of the better
variety and the current GM work to try to reintroduce variety to bananas
since nearly all current crops are clones and thus susceptible to
blights like the one that wiped out the previous variety.

On dairy, I have pretty well given up on the products of the 5gal/day
cows. I buy the Mexican sour cream which actually tastes like sour
cream, not mystery paste, and for butter I use Challenge for general
use, and something like Plugra for feature use like on my english
muffins.

The Forester Farm's branded chicken that Sam's carries is pretty good
and worth the price premium over the generic stuff. It's not the
horrible overpriced air-chilled stuff, but it's less than 3% retained
water, not "enhanced" and you can actually brown it properly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/28/2014 5:30 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 May 2014 15:07:54 -0500, "Pete C." >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The varieties of strawberries that are largest and thus
> >> the least labor to pick are also pretty bland compared to the small more
> >> labor intensive varieties.

> > I don't know what you consider big or small, but I've had some pretty
> > tasty big strawberries that I thought were big.... and I've even had
> > very tasty winter strawberries, grown in Southern California. <shrug>
> >

> I'm sure it makes quite a difference if they are grown nearby.
>
> Jill

It certainly makes some difference since less shipping risk means the
fruit can be picked when it's properly ripe, and less rugged but tastier
varieties can be grown. I rather like the pick-it-yourself places when
they are available.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 14:30:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 28 May 2014 15:07:54 -0500, "Pete C." >
>wrote:
>
>> The varieties of strawberries that are largest and thus
>> the least labor to pick are also pretty bland compared to the small more
>> labor intensive varieties.

>I don't know what you consider big or small, but I've had some pretty
>tasty big strawberries that I thought were big.... and I've even had
>very tasty winter strawberries, grown in Southern California. <shrug>

Big ass hydroponic strawberries are crap. <shrug>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2014 14:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:18:09 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> > >
> > > Part of the loss of flavor is connected to the much shortened time
> > > from chick to slaughter. It's only a few weeks now. The chickens are
> > > so young, they haven't got much taste.
> > >

> > I don't think it's age. After all, in countries such as France
> > the younger (smaller) chickens are considered desirable as they
> > have a better flavor. It's just that taste has not been an
> > important factor in selection.
> >

> I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
> to be smokers.

Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
filled with the industrial versions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:43:08 PM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:
> sf wrote:

> > > I don't think it's age. After all, in countries such as France
> > > the younger (smaller) chickens are considered desirable as they
> > > have a better flavor. It's just that taste has not been an
> > > important factor in selection.
> > >

> > I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
> > to be smokers.

> Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
> breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
> importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
> it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
> filled with the industrial versions.

I find it amusing how people in the USA tend to defend home
grown products' lack of flavor. If they had ever been
abroad, especially to non industrialize regions, they would
instantly be aware of how much flavor has been lost their
food products. This is certainly obvious when in Europe.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 4:26 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 5/28/2014 3:18 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
>> Part of the loss of flavor is connected to the much shortened time from
>> chick to slaughter. It's only a few weeks now. The chickens are so
>> young, they haven't got much taste.
>>
>> I will pay the higher prices for traditionally-raised chickens, just to
>> get chicken that tastes as it should.

> One of our friends raised chickens and they were harvested when the
> chickens were 8 weeks old.

Probably was the commonly available commercial variety bred for very
fast growth. Ready for slaughter at eight weeks; keep them any longer
and they are likely to suffer heart attacks or broken legs from their
weight.

Old-time breeds take much longer to reach slaughter weight, averaging
12 weeks. European poultry meat producers also prefer slower growing
breeds. In both cases, it's because the meat has a better flavor and
texture. Also, the old time breeds tend to be hardier and better for
raising on pasture.

I've got a brother who raised free range poultry for twenty years but
got out of it after his daughter grew up and moved away. It's too much
work for a single person to do (especially when it is a sideline). She
and her family are moving back, and they're planning to get back into
raising poultry. I'm looking forward to a convenient (though not
inexpensive) supply of delicious chicken and turkey again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:35:12 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:
>
> I find it amusing how people in the USA tend to defend home
> grown products' lack of flavor. If they had ever been
> abroad, especially to non industrialize regions, they would
> instantly be aware of how much flavor has been lost their
> food products. This is certainly obvious when in Europe.

I beg to differ. I've been to Europe and food tastes the same if not
somewhat bland, depending on how far into the old Eastern Block I go.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 11:15:36 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> I'm looking forward to a convenient (though not
> inexpensive) supply of delicious chicken and turkey again.

Lucky you!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:52:45 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:35:12 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
>
> > I find it amusing how people in the USA tend to defend home
> > grown products' lack of flavor. If they had ever been
> > abroad, especially to non industrialize regions, they would
> > instantly be aware of how much flavor has been lost their
> > food products. This is certainly obvious when in Europe.

> I beg to differ. I've been to Europe and food tastes the same if not
> somewhat bland, depending on how far into the old Eastern Block I go.

Poor you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 10:12:59 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:52:45 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:35:12 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> >
> > > I find it amusing how people in the USA tend to defend home
> > > grown products' lack of flavor. If they had ever been
> > > abroad, especially to non industrialize regions, they would
> > > instantly be aware of how much flavor has been lost their
> > > food products. This is certainly obvious when in Europe.

> > I beg to differ. I've been to Europe and food tastes the same if not
> > somewhat bland, depending on how far into the old Eastern Block I go.
> >

> Poor you.

Not poor me, you're the one who is making a big deal out of it.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message

> I find it amusing how people in the USA tend to defend home
> grown products' lack of flavor. If they had ever been
> abroad, especially to non industrialize regions, they would
> instantly be aware of how much flavor has been lost their
> food products. This is certainly obvious when in Europe.

I think you're easily amused.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>

>> I find it amusing how people in the USA tend to defend home
>> grown products' lack of flavor. If they had ever been
>> abroad, especially to non industrialize regions, they would
>> instantly be aware of how much flavor has been lost their
>> food products. This is certainly obvious when in Europe.

> I think you're easily amused.

So it would seem

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
> > to be smokers.

> Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
> breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
> importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
> it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
> filled with the industrial versions.

WTH are you talking about "industria versions"? heheh ;-D
It sounds to me like maybe you've gotten old and your taste buds have
just crapped out on you. lol

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:43:08 PM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>> > On Wed, 28 May 2014 14:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person

>> > I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
>> > to be smokers.

>> Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
>> breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
>> importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
>> it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
>> filled with the industrial versions.

> I find it amusing how people in the USA tend to defend home
> grown products' lack of flavor. If they had ever been
> abroad, especially to non industrialize regions, they would
> instantly be aware of how much flavor has been lost their
> food products. This is certainly obvious when in Europe.

I don't know who does that. And we can get heirloom fruits and veggies
here. But I have always found with most fruits that they either have very
little flavor or the flavor they do have is vile. Like peaches. I just
find it hard to believe that people really find them appealing. And some
fruits are just sour. Like strawberries. Now when I grew my own, I could
pick a sun warmed one and the flavor was out of this world! But pick one
and eat it 10 minutes later? Not good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> "Pete C." wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:
>> > I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
>> > to be smokers.

>> Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
>> breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
>> importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
>> it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
>> filled with the industrial versions.

> WTH are you talking about "industria versions"? heheh ;-D
> It sounds to me like maybe you've gotten old and your taste buds have
> just crapped out on you. lol

And that does happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 17:05:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>We can get heirloom fruits and veggies
>here. But I have always found with most fruits that they either have very
>little flavor or the flavor they do have is vile. Like peaches. I just
>find it hard to believe that people really find them appealing. And some
>fruits are just sour. Like strawberries. Now when I grew my own, I could
>pick a sun warmed one and the flavor was out of this world! But pick one
>and eat it 10 minutes later? Not good.

Just buy a big bag of sugar and be done with it.
Clearly, that's all you want to eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 17:33:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> "Pete C." wrote:
> >
> > sf wrote:
> > > I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
> > > to be smokers.

> > Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
> > breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
> > importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
> > it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
> > filled with the industrial versions.

> WTH are you talking about "industria versions"? heheh ;-D
> It sounds to me like maybe you've gotten old and your taste buds have
> just crapped out on you. lol

Agree!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:
> "Pete C." wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:
>>> I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
>>> to be smokers.

>> Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
>> breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
>> importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
>> it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
>> filled with the industrial versions.

> WTH are you talking about "industria versions"? heheh ;-D
> It sounds to me like maybe you've gotten old and your taste buds have
> just crapped out on you. lol
>
> G.

No it's true, modern breeds of grocery store chickens are purely
industrial, they come to size a full month quicker, and they are dunked
into bleach water like you'd sanitize a toilet with because they are raised
in filthy appalling conditions.

If the chicken says "Contains up to (insert any number)% water" put it
back, it's basically a zombie chicken unfit for consumption.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 08:47:26 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>Gary > wrote:

>>> Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
>>> breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
>>> importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
>>> it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
>>> filled with the industrial versions.

>> WTH are you talking about "industria versions"? heheh ;-D
>> It sounds to me like maybe you've gotten old and your taste buds have
>> just crapped out on you. lol
>>
>> G.

>No it's true, modern breeds of grocery store chickens are purely
>industrial, they come to size a full month quicker, and they are dunked
>into bleach water like you'd sanitize a toilet with because they are raised
>in filthy appalling conditions.
>
>If the chicken says "Contains up to (insert any number)% water" put it
>back, it's basically a zombie chicken unfit for consumption.

I roasted a free range chicken tonight. Mashed new spuds (again, lol)
and the other usual suspects. It was delicious, but I wished I hadn't
read this post right now :/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2014 08:47:26 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> Gary > wrote:

>>> WTH are you talking about "industria versions"? heheh ;-D
>>> It sounds to me like maybe you've gotten old and your taste buds have
>>> just crapped out on you. lol
>>>
>>> G.

>> No it's true, modern breeds of grocery store chickens are purely
>> industrial, they come to size a full month quicker, and they are dunked
>> into bleach water like you'd sanitize a toilet with because they are raised
>> in filthy appalling conditions.
>>
>> If the chicken says "Contains up to (insert any number)% water" put it
>> back, it's basically a zombie chicken unfit for consumption.

> I roasted a free range chicken tonight. Mashed new spuds (again, lol)
> and the other usual suspects. It was delicious, but I wished I hadn't
> read this post right now :/

I have yet to find a free range chicken in the store that was not dunked
into bleach water. I only eat Kosher chickens now, or Buddhist-style black
chickens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 09:17:29 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>Jeßus > wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 May 2014 08:47:26 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:

>>> No it's true, modern breeds of grocery store chickens are purely
>>> industrial, they come to size a full month quicker, and they are dunked
>>> into bleach water like you'd sanitize a toilet with because they are raised
>>> in filthy appalling conditions.
>>>
>>> If the chicken says "Contains up to (insert any number)% water" put it
>>> back, it's basically a zombie chicken unfit for consumption.

>> I roasted a free range chicken tonight. Mashed new spuds (again, lol)
>> and the other usual suspects. It was delicious, but I wished I hadn't
>> read this post right now :/

>I have yet to find a free range chicken in the store that was not dunked
>into bleach water. I only eat Kosher chickens now, or Buddhist-style black
>chickens.

They are if they're organic (here at least).
But regardless, I don't bleach my birds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> "Pete C." wrote:
> >
> > sf wrote:
> > > I wonder if the people who complain about lack of flavor are or used
> > > to be smokers.

> > Nope, I've never smoked in my life and I find the current varieties and
> > breeds of many food items seriously lacking in flavor, and more
> > importantly when I find a source for the non-industrial breed / variety
> > it tastes as I remember it used to taste before the grocery stores were
> > filled with the industrial versions.

> WTH are you talking about "industria versions"? heheh ;-D
> It sounds to me like maybe you've gotten old and your taste buds have
> just crapped out on you. lol
>
> G.

Not when I can find "heirloom" varieties that taste exactly as I
remember them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> No it's true, modern breeds of grocery store chickens are purely
> industrial, they come to size a full month quicker, and they are dunked
> into bleach water like you'd sanitize a toilet with because they are raised
> in filthy appalling conditions.

I have noticed (and miss) those small "fryer" chickens that they used
to sell. These days a whole chicken is very large, often more than I
wanted.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 15:29:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I have noticed (and miss) those small "fryer" chickens that they used
> to sell. These days a whole chicken is very large, often more than I
> wanted.

Where were they when I needed them? People were writing about 4-5
pound chickens years before I could buy them. Three pounds was the
best I could do, but the a normal big one for me was 2.5. Now that I
don't need big anymore (kids are grown and gone), there are no more
small ones to be found at the supermarket. They are a restaurant item
now.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Chicken Breasts Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 60 17-11-2015 10:53 PM
GRILLED CHICKEN BREASTS Tim Recipes 0 22-08-2005 08:39 PM
Creamed Chicken Breasts Tim Recipes 0 19-08-2005 08:48 AM
Chicken - breasts or otherwise Daisy General Cooking 7 17-04-2004 01:53 PM