Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Need science help, cat!

"Jeßus" wrote:

> Lucy is purring away in my lap. It's slow going typing with one
> hand though

heheh
Right now, Mia (my ferret) is sleeping in the sleeve of my old, ragged
sweatshirt that I wear around the house. She loves sleeping in a
hammock plus she loves human contact. This sleeve solves both issues.
She often sleeps there at night when I'm using the computer.

She sleeps in the elbow part of my old sweatshirts. If she has to use
the bathroom or is just awake and wants to play she will craw out to
the opening by my wrist.... Here's two different pics of her coming
out of the sleeves for air. heheh

http://i59.tinypic.com/r2td1c.jpg

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2014 10:21 AM, Gary wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> What kind of cat? A wild cat, a mountain lion, a plain old angry house cat? We need more facts, ma'am.

>> What about people who are allergic to cats?

> See how long it takes them to quit breathing after 5 minutes petting a
> cat.
>
> G.

LOL!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> "Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> Lucy is purring away in my lap. It's slow going typing with one
>> hand though

> heheh
> Right now, Mia (my ferret) is sleeping in the sleeve of my old, ragged
> sweatshirt that I wear around the house. She loves sleeping in a
> hammock plus she loves human contact. This sleeve solves both issues.
> She often sleeps there at night when I'm using the computer.
>
> She sleeps in the elbow part of my old sweatshirts. If she has to use
> the bathroom or is just awake and wants to play she will craw out to
> the opening by my wrist.... Here's two different pics of her coming
> out of the sleeves for air. heheh
>
> http://i59.tinypic.com/r2td1c.jpg

What a wee cutie

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 8:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Long story short, daughter is doing a science project and needs both
> blood pressure and pulse readings of people prior to and after petting a
> cat. You would need to pet the cat for about 5 minutes. Doesn't have
> to be exact. If you have a BP cuff and can send me the results, she
> would appreciate it. The logistics of finding people who are willing to
> do this before she needs to turn it in (Wed.) are proving to be a lot
> more difficult than anticipated. Thanks to anyone who can help her! If
> you don't want to put your results here, you can email me.
>
> juliebove at frontier dot com
>
> Thanks again!

The BP lowering effect, and presumably lowering of the pulse, after
petting a cat is well documented, or at least widely believed. I'm
skeptical. There are some problems with doing such an experiment.
Getting accurate enough readings for one. Another problem is that taking
a couple of readings on a person does not give a useful picture of that
individual's cardiovascular situation. That would require many readings
over time and it's a range, not a couple of numbers. My guess is that
just sitting on a sofa and remaining still will have the same effect of
lowering a person's blood pressure. The cat on your lap might not be
doing anything.

Petting our cat is liable to be stressful for us - he generally won't
tolerate it for long and starts biting and my wife would be mostly
thinking of her allergy to the beast.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/98432.php
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2014 12:28 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Great! Thanks! Tomorrow will be fine. You have my email.

Sorry, I don't have the email set up.

Pre-cat: 131/77, pulse: 71
Post-cat: 147/78, pulse: 69

There are not the results I expected, but there you go!

--
DreadfulBitch

There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
....George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 May 2014 11:17:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> Lucy is purring away in my lap. It's slow going typing with one
>> hand though

>heheh
>Right now, Mia (my ferret) is sleeping in the sleeve of my old, ragged
>sweatshirt that I wear around the house. She loves sleeping in a
>hammock plus she loves human contact. This sleeve solves both issues.
>She often sleeps there at night when I'm using the computer.
>
>She sleeps in the elbow part of my old sweatshirts. If she has to use
>the bathroom or is just awake and wants to play she will craw out to
>the opening by my wrist.... Here's two different pics of her coming
>out of the sleeves for air. heheh
>
>http://i59.tinypic.com/r2td1c.jpg

Heh, she looks cute. A lot more practical and convenient than a big
cat in your lap or blocking the screen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 1 May 2014 23:04:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Long story short, daughter is doing a science project and needs both blood
> >>pressure and pulse readings of people prior to and after petting a cat.
> >>You
> >>would need to pet the cat for about 5 minutes. Doesn't have to be exact.
> >>If you have a BP cuff and can send me the results, she would appreciate
> >>it.
> >>The logistics of finding people who are willing to do this before she
> >>needs
> >>to turn it in (Wed.) are proving to be a lot more difficult than
> >>anticipated. Thanks to anyone who can help her! If you don't want to put
> >>your results here, you can email me.
> >>
> >>juliebove at frontier dot com

> > Can't help you as I don't have that gadget, but bet my BP is low right
> > now, Lucy is purring away in my lap. It's slow going typing with one
> > hand though

> I got a special treat this morning! Jetta (the feral) was sleeping at my
> feet. She's really Angela's cat so almost always sleeps with Angela. But I
> woke up to find her at my feet. I then turned the other way, put my head
> next to her and petted her for a while. She was really sleepy. Just kept
> on sleeping and purred. That rarely ever happens.

you sleep with your feet next to your head?

> Then of course, Jazzy got jealous and hopped came down to that end of the
> bed. She normally sleeps by my side, if not on top of me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:

> I didn't write what is quoted above.
>
> > Imagine the Method section of the report..... got my mother to ask
> > people on the internet to send their blood pressure figures.
> >>>

> I can't even imagine what sort of science class experiment this is. Why
> would a teacher ask people's kids to find people with cats and take
> their blood pressure?
>
> Jill

I like the idea that for her science project she gets other people to do
the research for her
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> message ...
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> >> message

> >> Don't know where that would be. We do have a pet store that
> >> normally has cats but at present they only have one older one that
> >> is fearful of people and doesn't much like to be petted until she
> >> knows the person. So luck is against us at the moment.

> > just out of curiosity, how long has she known about this science
> > project?

> Don't know but she didn't know of it when the others did because she
> was out sick. The teacher didn't bother to tell her about it until I
> wrote to him and said something about the missing assignment. So
> likely the other kids were given more info. on it than she was and...
> The teacher also had some sort of disconnect on that. I won't get
> into that but it took many emails and her having to stay after school
> twice. Only after she stayed for the second time did he say, "Oh
> yeah! You DID do that part!
>
> I don't know if the teachers at her school are overworked or what
> but... I have had trouble with them all year. We are supposed to
> check a part of the website to see how their grades are coming along.
> Most of the kids show as having failing grades most of the time
> because it is to some extent an automated system.

so your school has a class website that posts everyones grades for all
to see and no one has a problem with that?

The teachers don't upload things to it so it shows as
> missing assignments or tests or quizzes or whatever. Same thing
> happened in Jr. High. But this year they dismiss the kids early on
> Wed. so the teachers can catch this up. And yet, most of them don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> message ...
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> >> message

> >> Don't know where that would be.

> > there's this new technology that would help you find them...it's
> > called the internet or even a phonebook or worst case I'm sure any
> > local hospital would know...but then you'd have to find one

> The only people I know who use phone books are the elderly. And
> hospitals would not know this. Trust me on this, I know. The place
> where my mom is moving to does allow pets.

so in fact you know where one of them is but haven't thought to ask
them where others might be? but then again, there is the internet

I know of one woman with a dog. Don't know of
> any cats but then... I don't know too many people there yet.
> >

> > We do have a pet store that normally has
> >> cats but at present they only have one older one that is fearful
> >> of people and doesn't much like to be petted until she knows the
> >> person. So luck is against us at the moment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 5/2/2014 11:28 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> >

> >> I would think the experiment would work better with dogs than with
> >> cats.
> >>
> >> Doris
> >>

> > Perhaps someone else is doing that to get comparative results.

> They each had to come up with their own hypothesis. Could be that there is
> a dog one. Her friend is doing something about how well or not well people
> sleep.

ooh, I can imagine the fun her friend is going to have observing people
sleep
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Perhaps someone else is doing that to get comparative results.

>> They each had to come up with their own hypothesis. Could be that there
>> is
>> a dog one. Her friend is doing something about how well or not well
>> people
>> sleep.

> ooh, I can imagine the fun her friend is going to have observing people
> sleep

They don't observe. The take notes and give to her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 5/3/2014 12:28 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Great! Thanks! Tomorrow will be fine. You have my email.

> Sorry, I don't have the email set up.
>
> Pre-cat: 131/77, pulse: 71
> Post-cat: 147/78, pulse: 69
>
> There are not the results I expected, but there you go!

Thanks so much!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 1 May 2014 23:04:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Can't help you as I don't have that gadget, but bet my BP is low right
>> > now, Lucy is purring away in my lap. It's slow going typing with one
>> > hand though

>> I got a special treat this morning! Jetta (the feral) was sleeping at my
>> feet. She's really Angela's cat so almost always sleeps with Angela.
>> But I
>> woke up to find her at my feet. I then turned the other way, put my head
>> next to her and petted her for a while. She was really sleepy. Just
>> kept
>> on sleeping and purred. That rarely ever happens.

> you sleep with your feet next to your head?

No. I said that I turned the other way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
>> message ...
>> > In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> > just out of curiosity, how long has she known about this science
>> > project?

>> Don't know but she didn't know of it when the others did because she
>> was out sick. The teacher didn't bother to tell her about it until I
>> wrote to him and said something about the missing assignment. So
>> likely the other kids were given more info. on it than she was and...
>> The teacher also had some sort of disconnect on that. I won't get
>> into that but it took many emails and her having to stay after school
>> twice. Only after she stayed for the second time did he say, "Oh
>> yeah! You DID do that part!
>>
>> I don't know if the teachers at her school are overworked or what
>> but... I have had trouble with them all year. We are supposed to
>> check a part of the website to see how their grades are coming along.
>> Most of the kids show as having failing grades most of the time
>> because it is to some extent an automated system.

> so your school has a class website that posts everyones grades for all
> to see and no one has a problem with that?

No. Every person has their own log in. At this age, they do not have to
give that to the parents. If that is the case, the parents must go to the
school and get their own log in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-03 12:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>

>> I didn't write what is quoted above.
>>
>>> Imagine the Method section of the report..... got my mother to ask
>>> people on the internet to send their blood pressure figures.
>>>>>

>> I can't even imagine what sort of science class experiment this is. Why
>> would a teacher ask people's kids to find people with cats and take
>> their blood pressure?

> Why indeed, as if they could even expect kids to have access to a BP
> monitor. Congratulations to the group for getting sucked into the vortex
> of Julie's bullshit once again.

I've has a BP cuff for years! But I did buy her a new one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2014 1:42 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Don't know where that would be.

>> there's this new technology that would help you find them...it's called
>> the internet or even a phonebook or worst case I'm sure any local
>> hospital would know...but then you'd have to find one

> The only people I know who use phone books are the elderly. And
> hospitals would not know this. Trust me on this, I know. The place
> where my mom is moving to does allow pets. I know of one woman with a
> dog. Don't know of any cats but then... I don't know too many people
> there yet.

What about the place where your dad stayed? Would they allow you to
bring one of your cats? Assuming cat would put up with it. I only have
one cat that would enjoy that, but he'd hate the car ride.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2014 5:47 AM, Janet wrote:

> A bright ambitious student would submit comparisons..how about
> measuring pulse rate when petting a spider.
>
> Janet UK

AKKK!!!

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 6:05 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Yeah. I think we may have found enough people now but not sure we can
> depend on the high school kids. I could think of many other things she
> could have done that involved only the cats and not people but... At
> this age, they don't listen to the parents.

so how many subjects did she find, and is there a control group?

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2014 11:17 AM, Gary wrote:

> Right now, Mia (my ferret) is sleeping in the sleeve of my old, ragged
> sweatshirt that I wear around the house. She loves sleeping in a
> hammock plus she loves human contact. This sleeve solves both issues.
> She often sleeps there at night when I'm using the computer.
>
> She sleeps in the elbow part of my old sweatshirts. If she has to use
> the bathroom or is just awake and wants to play she will craw out to
> the opening by my wrist.... Here's two different pics of her coming
> out of the sleeves for air. heheh
>
> http://i59.tinypic.com/r2td1c.jpg

Very cute Gary!

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> They each had to come up with their own hypothesis. Could be that there
> >> is
> >> a dog one. Her friend is doing something about how well or not well
> >> people
> >> sleep.

> > ooh, I can imagine the fun her friend is going to have observing people
> > sleep

> They don't observe. The take notes and give to her.

how do they take notes when asleep and how can their "subjective" memory
of the event amount to objective facts like an EEG
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> >> message ...

> >> Don't know but she didn't know of it when the others did because she
> >> was out sick. The teacher didn't bother to tell her about it until I
> >> wrote to him and said something about the missing assignment. So
> >> likely the other kids were given more info. on it than she was and...
> >> The teacher also had some sort of disconnect on that. I won't get
> >> into that but it took many emails and her having to stay after school
> >> twice. Only after she stayed for the second time did he say, "Oh
> >> yeah! You DID do that part!
> >>
> >> I don't know if the teachers at her school are overworked or what
> >> but... I have had trouble with them all year. We are supposed to
> >> check a part of the website to see how their grades are coming along.
> >> Most of the kids show as having failing grades most of the time
> >> because it is to some extent an automated system.

> > so your school has a class website that posts everyones grades for all
> > to see and no one has a problem with that?

> No. Every person has their own log in. At this age, they do not have to
> give that to the parents. If that is the case, the parents must go to the
> school and get their own log in.

so how is it that you know "Most of the kids show as having failing
grades most of the time"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Sat, 3 May 2014, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> jmcquown > wrote:

>>> I didn't write what is quoted above.

>>> I can't even imagine what sort of science class experiment this is. Why
>>> would a teacher ask people's kids to find people with cats and take
>>> their blood pressure?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I like the idea that for her science project she gets other people to do
>> the research for her
>>

> yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a
> social psychology experiment.
>
> Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?
> This is how they do science nowadays?

I don't know if there are control parts. I don't know that there are not.
I only know what she told me. But... Science now is not at all like it was
when I was in school.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:19:12 AM UTC-10, barbie gee wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2014, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > jmcquown > wrote:

> >> I didn't write what is quoted above.

> >> I can't even imagine what sort of science class experiment this is. Why

> >> would a teacher ask people's kids to find people with cats and take

> >> their blood pressure?

> >> Jill

> > I like the idea that for her science project she gets other people to do

> > the research for her

> yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a
>
> social psychology experiment.
>

> Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?
>
> This is how they do science nowadays?

The control data is supposed to weed out variables that are not part of the study. In this case, you measure BP of groups of people sitting quietly and people sitting quietly petting a cat. My guess is that there won't be any differences. This is just my little old guess but it's a totally awesome guess!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
> hcrg.pbz...
> >

> > On Sat, 3 May 2014, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> >> I like the idea that for her science project she gets other people to do
> >> the research for her
> >>

> > yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a
> > social psychology experiment.
> >
> > Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?
> > This is how they do science nowadays?

> I don't know if there are control parts. I don't know that there are not.
> I only know what she told me. But... Science now is not at all like it was
> when I was in school.

and as a concerned parent you actually asked your daughter and when she
confessed her ignorance you asked her teacher

<drum roll> "the teachers won't respond, they are too busy"s "how would
I contact the teacher?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:19:12 AM UTC-10, barbie gee wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2014, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > jmcquown > wrote:

> >> I didn't write what is quoted above.

> >> I can't even imagine what sort of science class experiment this is.
> >> Why

> >> would a teacher ask people's kids to find people with cats and take

> >> their blood pressure?

> >> Jill

> > I like the idea that for her science project she gets other people to do

> > the research for her

> yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a
>
> social psychology experiment.
>

> Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?
>
> This is how they do science nowadays?

The control data is supposed to weed out variables that are not part of the
study. In this case, you measure BP of groups of people sitting quietly and
people sitting quietly petting a cat. My guess is that there won't be any
differences. This is just my little old guess but it's a totally awesome
guess!

So far the differences have been so slight as to not really be a difference.
The numbers have gone down, yes. But not by much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>> hcrg.pbz...

>> > yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a
>> > social psychology experiment.
>> >
>> > Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?
>> > This is how they do science nowadays?

>> I don't know if there are control parts. I don't know that there are
>> not.
>> I only know what she told me. But... Science now is not at all like it
>> was
>> when I was in school.

> and as a concerned parent you actually asked your daughter and when she
> confessed her ignorance you asked her teacher
>
> <drum roll> "the teachers won't respond, they are too busy"s "how would
> I contact the teacher?"

What in the hell are you talking about? It is obvious that you don't have
kids. She's in high school now. The teachers don't want the parents
getting involved. Kids of that age are old enough to do or not do for
themselves and then suffer the consequences if they don't do it right. I
have in fact contacted her teachers a few times and two told me to stop.
They want her to deal with things. Not me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 5, 2014 9:29:33 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:19:12 AM UTC-10, barbie gee wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 3 May 2014, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> > > I like the idea that for her science project she gets other people to do

> > > the research for her

> > yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a

> > social psychology experiment.

> > Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?

> > This is how they do science nowadays?

> The control data is supposed to weed out variables that are not part of the
>
> study. In this case, you measure BP of groups of people sitting quietly and
>
> people sitting quietly petting a cat. My guess is that there won't be any
>
> differences. This is just my little old guess but it's a totally awesome
>
> guess!
>

> So far the differences have been so slight as to not really be a difference.
>
> The numbers have gone down, yes. But not by much.

The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig and that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears simple. The most important lesson she should learn is that the temptation to make up data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig and
that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears simple.
The most important lesson she should learn is that the temptation to make up
data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.

---

And knowing what I know about this teacher, I believe that is exactly what
he is trying to teach.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >
> >> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
> >> hcrg.pbz...

> >> I don't know if there are control parts. I don't know that there are
> >> not.
> >> I only know what she told me. But... Science now is not at all like it
> >> was
> >> when I was in school.

> > and as a concerned parent you actually asked your daughter and when she
> > confessed her ignorance you asked her teacher
> >
> > <drum roll> "the teachers won't respond, they are too busy"s "how would
> > I contact the teacher?"

> What in the hell are you talking about? It is obvious that you don't have
> kids. She's in high school now. The teachers don't want the parents
> getting involved. Kids of that age are old enough to do or not do for
> themselves and then suffer the consequences if they don't do it right.

so "Kids of that age are old enough to do or not do for themselves and
then suffer the consequences if they don't do it right." but you are
here soliciting data for her so she doesn't suffer those consequences

> have in fact contacted her teachers a few times and two told me to stop.
> They want her to deal with things. Not me.

but you are here soliciting data for her so she doesn't suffer those
consequences

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> On Monday, May 5, 2014 9:29:33 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> > > yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a

> > > social psychology experiment.

> > > Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?

> > > This is how they do science nowadays?

> > The control data is supposed to weed out variables that are not part of the
> >
> > study. In this case, you measure BP of groups of people sitting quietly and
> >
> > people sitting quietly petting a cat. My guess is that there won't be any
> >
> > differences. This is just my little old guess but it's a totally awesome
> >
> > guess!
> >

> > So far the differences have been so slight as to not really be a
> > difference.
> >
> > The numbers have gone down, yes. But not by much.

> The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig and
> that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears simple.
> The most important lesson she should learn is that the temptation to make up
> data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.

the lesson she will learn is that Mom will always bail her out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2014 10:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
> The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig
> and that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears
> simple. The most important lesson she should learn is that the
> temptation to make up data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.
>
> ---
>
> And knowing what I know about this teacher, I believe that is exactly
> what he is trying to teach.

That would be great, teaching how things really work is more important
than teaching how things are supposed to work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> dsi1 > wrote:
>> The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig and
>> that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears simple.
>> The most important lesson she should learn is that the temptation to make up
>> data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.

> the lesson she will learn is that Mom will always bail her out

Either way, it's an important lesson. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> so "Kids of that age are old enough to do or not do for themselves and
> then suffer the consequences if they don't do it right." but you are
> here soliciting data for her so she doesn't suffer those consequences

>> have in fact contacted her teachers a few times and two told me to stop.
>> They want her to deal with things. Not me.

> but you are here soliciting data for her so she doesn't suffer those
> consequences

And why shouldn't I? I am in contact with far more people than she is.
Ones that have cats anyway...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/5/2014 10:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig
>> and that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears
>> simple. The most important lesson she should learn is that the
>> temptation to make up data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> And knowing what I know about this teacher, I believe that is exactly
>> what he is trying to teach.

> That would be great, teaching how things really work is more important
> than teaching how things are supposed to work.

That's how we do things here in the PNW!

It's Science Day St. Jockofgrapes General Cooking 0 12-04-2007 02:18 PM
Ham Before Science Doug Kanter General Cooking 11 02-02-2006 02:02 PM
Science Forum [email protected] General Cooking 0 23-07-2005 12:20 PM
art's and science xenophobe Wine 0 09-03-2005 03:00 AM
Science Lasantha Tea 58 14-01-2005 11:05 PM