Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ham Before Science

Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
> the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

Yes. Tons of salt. You had to boil or soak them to make 'em edible.
Some country hams are still made with just salt and a little molasses.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved)
> before the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

Yes. I recall reading that some salt deposits contain traces of nitrates and
nitrites and that over time this salt was prized as being a better
preservative.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
> the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

and smoke, yes. Salt is an excellent preservative. Ever heard of
sauerkraut or kosher dills?

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sarah bennett" > wrote in message
t...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved)
>> before the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

> and smoke, yes. Salt is an excellent preservative. Ever heard of
> sauerkraut or kosher dills?

Pickles? Those things in jars? Nope. Never heard of 'em. :-) I *am* very
familiar with bacalao, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 01 Feb 2006 08:54:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it L, not -L?

> On 1-Feb-2006, "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
>> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved)
>> before
>> the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

> On my grandfather's farm, when I was growing up in the '50s, ham was
> preserved with salt and smoke. I remember the butchering all took place
> around the same time, then the meat was smoked and left hanging in the
> smokehouse until needed.

At my grandfather's, too. I really loved those hams and bacon. We soaked
hams in milk overnight before rinsing and simmering in a big pot until
tender. Then baked them with a glaze.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
> the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

Of course salt. Only thing curing powders do differently is impart a
more attractive appearance/color.

Salt occurs naturally (has since before life began), many, many foods
are still preserved with only plain NACL.... and brine.

Even before salting foods were preserved by dehydration and/or
freezing, the oldest forms of food preservation... still, obviously.

Many foods are preserved by a combination of methods, drying,
salting/curing, smoking... think pepperoni.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Yes. Tons of salt. You had to boil or soak them to make 'em edible.
> Some country hams are still made with just salt and a little molasses.

Picked up a Smithfield ham a few years ago, and couldn't wait to try
it; it was so salty, I ended up throwing it out! Perhaps I should have
soaked it first. I suspect salt, salt and more salt was the recipe
back then...

--
Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
> the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

Salting and/or drying and/or smoking.
'Curing salts' have been known for a long time, without the specifics of
nitrates/nitrites being identified.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
> the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

Salt will work, but some of the 'curing salts', like saltpeter, have
been in use a looooong time.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2006 08:18:17 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>>Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
>>>the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

>>Of course salt. Only thing curing powders do differently is impart a
>>more attractive appearance/color.

> Curing also adds a flavor component. If you cure a ham with just
> salt, it will taste very different then one cured with salt +
> nitrites.
>

>>Salt occurs naturally (has since before life began), many, many foods
>>are still preserved with only plain NACL.... and brine.

> So, you're finally accepting the fact that a brine can used to
> cure meat?
>
> -sw

Curing in brine? Why would anyone question that? The writings of
yesteryear are filled with references to barrels of brined meat.
Recently, in a collection of 'receipts' from the mid 1800's, I read a
technique for restoring a 'tainted' barrel of brined meat.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Doug Kanter wrote:

> Or something like that. Question: How were hams made (and preserved) before
> the arrival of miracles like sodium nitrite? Tons of salt?

Salt is naturally occurring in the earth and the sea. It has always been
here.

OT Need science help, cat! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 92 08-05-2014 10:42 PM
It's Science Day St. Jockofgrapes General Cooking 0 12-04-2007 02:18 PM
Science Forum [email protected] General Cooking 0 23-07-2005 12:20 PM
art's and science xenophobe Wine 0 09-03-2005 03:00 AM
Science Lasantha Tea 58 14-01-2005 11:05 PM