Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Orleans style pralines

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> When making any sort of nut candies such as brittle or pralines,
> always add the nuts towards the end. Especially if they're already
> toasted (not raw). I see too many peanut brittle recipes that say to
> add the peanuts towards the beginning and they are all defective
> recipes. BTDT.
>
> -sw

I definitely agree with the peanut brittle, nothing but burnt peanuts if
you follow some of those recipes.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:12:18 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> My d-i-l needed some pralines to take to her book club where the book in
> question was set in New Orleans. So I made 2 batches following a recipe
> by Emeril.
>
> The trouble is that some of the pecans got burnt during the cooking. I
> fished out the worst but I could still detect a slight burnt flavour in
> the candy. I wondered that, for future batches, whether it was OK to add
> the pecans just before the softball stage is reached.
> ISTR that during a visit to N.O., some 30 years ago, that I saw a demo
> of praline making and they poured the candy over separate piles of pecans..
> I would appreciate any advice.
>
> Graham

I would think that it wouldn't matter much. Praline is cooked to the soft ball stage, less than 240 degrees F, so not much hotter than boiling water, and certainly less than what would be required to burn nuts. Just be sure you're stirring constantly and keeping the temperature below 240.

For brittle or other candy that's cooked to the hard crack stage, definitely leave the nuts out until the very end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/04/2014 10:19 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:08:33 -0700, graham wrote:
>
>> My d-i-l needed some pralines to take to her book club where the book in
>> question was set in New Orleans. So I made 2 batches following a recipe
>> by Emeril.
>>
>> The trouble is that some of the pecans got burnt during the cooking. I
>> fished out the worst but I could still detect a slight burnt flavour in
>> the candy. I wondered that, for future batches, whether it was OK to add
>> the pecans just before the softball stage is reached.
>> ISTR that during a visit to N.O., some 30 years ago, that I saw a demo
>> of praline making and they poured the candy over separate piles of pecans.
>> I would appreciate any advice.

> When making any sort of nut candies such as brittle or pralines,
> always add the nuts towards the end. Especially if they're already
> toasted (not raw). I see too many peanut brittle recipes that say to
> add the peanuts towards the beginning and they are all defective
> recipes. BTDT.
>
> -sw

Many Thanks!!!!!

The Emeril recipe that I followed distinctly stated to add the nuts at
the beginning after the sugar had dissolved:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...es-recipe.html

However, when I googled a few minutes ago, in other URLs, he clearly
states to add them at the end:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...es-recipe.html

During my initial search for recipes, I came across others that added
them at the beginning so I didn't question that particular Emeril recipe.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/04/2014 10:50 AM, wrote:
> On Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:12:18 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>> My d-i-l needed some pralines to take to her book club where the book in
>> question was set in New Orleans. So I made 2 batches following a recipe
>> by Emeril.
>>
>> The trouble is that some of the pecans got burnt during the cooking. I
>> fished out the worst but I could still detect a slight burnt flavour in
>> the candy. I wondered that, for future batches, whether it was OK to add
>> the pecans just before the softball stage is reached.
>> ISTR that during a visit to N.O., some 30 years ago, that I saw a demo
>> of praline making and they poured the candy over separate piles of pecans.
>> I would appreciate any advice.
>>
>> Graham

> I would think that it wouldn't matter much. Praline is cooked to the soft ball stage, less than 240 degrees F, so not much hotter than boiling water, and certainly less than what would be required to burn nuts. Just be sure you're stirring constantly and keeping the temperature below 240.
>
> For brittle or other candy that's cooked to the hard crack stage, definitely leave the nuts out until the very end.

Usually, when cooking sugar syrup to soft or hard ball stage, e.g.,
making Italian meringue, one doesn't stir so I didn't stir the nut
mixture. Some settled on the bottom of the pan and therefore burned.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:08:33 -0700, graham wrote:
>
>> My d-i-l needed some pralines to take to her book club where the book in
>> question was set in New Orleans. So I made 2 batches following a recipe
>> by Emeril.
>>
>> The trouble is that some of the pecans got burnt during the cooking. I
>> fished out the worst but I could still detect a slight burnt flavour in
>> the candy. I wondered that, for future batches, whether it was OK to add
>> the pecans just before the softball stage is reached.
>> ISTR that during a visit to N.O., some 30 years ago, that I saw a demo
>> of praline making and they poured the candy over separate piles of
>> pecans.
>> I would appreciate any advice.

> When making any sort of nut candies such as brittle or pralines,
> always add the nuts towards the end. Especially if they're already
> toasted (not raw). I see too many peanut brittle recipes that say to
> add the peanuts towards the beginning and they are all defective
> recipes. BTDT.

Agree with you. I always add nuts towards the end of the candy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> On Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:12:18 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>>> My d-i-l needed some pralines to take to her book club where the book in
>>> question was set in New Orleans. So I made 2 batches following a recipe
>>> by Emeril.
>>>
>>> The trouble is that some of the pecans got burnt during the cooking. I
>>> fished out the worst but I could still detect a slight burnt flavour in
>>> the candy. I wondered that, for future batches, whether it was OK to add
>>> the pecans just before the softball stage is reached.
>>> ISTR that during a visit to N.O., some 30 years ago, that I saw a demo
>>> of praline making and they poured the candy over separate piles of
>>> pecans.
>>> I would appreciate any advice.

Of course, you have your own praline recipe so I'll just give you the notes
I've added to mine:best on a clear sunny day, cook to LESS than 220 degrees,
then add pecans and vanilla. My pecans are stored in the freezer so I do let
them come to room temp but do not toast them. If your delicate sensibilities
are not offended, I'm willing to give your my microwave recipe which include
a box of Not Instant Jello butterscotch pie filling. Polly

Pralines Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 29 06-12-2011 09:25 PM
REQ: "New Orleans style white barbeque sauce" ? [email protected] Recipes 6 25-06-2010 08:09 PM
New Orleans (Chicory) Style Coffee in Canada? Skookum Coffee 0 15-09-2005 06:02 PM
Pecan Pralines 7 Hawks Recipes 0 30-06-2005 02:04 AM
Pralines Michael General Cooking 5 23-01-2005 09:13 PM