Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A2 Milk

Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with
A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take,
based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with A2
> protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take, based on
> what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.

interesting topic - I just started a bit of reading. My thoughts are two
fold:

1. This is a topic that will not reach a definitive conclusion for some
time. Then it will, over time, swing back and forth between at least two
contradictory "definitive conclusions".

2. In the mean time, since "Beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) [released on digestion
from A1 beta-casein] is a hepta-peptide with opioid characteristics and a
strong affinity for mu-opioid receptors", I am all in favor of A1.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk
>> with A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My
>> take, based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date,
>> inconclusive.

> interesting topic - I just started a bit of reading. My thoughts are
> two fold:
>
> 1. This is a topic that will not reach a definitive conclusion for
> some time. Then it will, over time, swing back and forth between at
> least two contradictory "definitive conclusions".
>
> 2. In the mean time, since "Beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) [released on
> digestion from A1 beta-casein] is a hepta-peptide with opioid
> characteristics and a strong affinity for mu-opioid receptors", I am
> all in favor of A1.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:02:01 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with
>A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take,
>based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.

Old, old news in Australia. Although I'm not sure what the
'controversy might be about?

A2 is definitely better for people with dairy intolerances, I know
people who can drink A2 with consequences, but not 'conventional' A1
milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 14:36:12 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with A2
>> protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take, based on
>> what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.
>>

>interesting topic - I just started a bit of reading. My thoughts are two
>fold:
>
>1. This is a topic that will not reach a definitive conclusion for some
>time. Then it will, over time, swing back and forth between at least two
>contradictory "definitive conclusions".
>
>2. In the mean time, since "Beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) [released on digestion
>from A1 beta-casein] is a hepta-peptide with opioid characteristics and a
>strong affinity for mu-opioid receptors", I am all in favor of A1.

What exactly is the controversy about? We just drink the milk here in
Australia... nobody here seem to be debating anything about it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" wrote:
>"Steve Freides" wrote:
>
>> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with A2
>> protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take, based on
>> what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.

>interesting topic - I just started a bit of reading. My thoughts are two
>fold:
>
>1. This is a topic that will not reach a definitive conclusion for some
>time. Then it will, over time, swing back and forth between at least two
>contradictory "definitive conclusions".
>
>2. In the mean time, since "Beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) [released on digestion
>from A1 beta-casein] is a hepta-peptide with opioid characteristics and a
>strong affinity for mu-opioid receptors", I am all in favor of A1.

I never drink cow's milk, the only time I consume cow's milk is when
it's in something like ice cream or cheese. And if I were to drink
milk it wouldn't be from an 1A cup, at least a 2D.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:43:56 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Pico Rico" wrote:
>
> >"Steve Freides" wrote:

> >> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with A2

> >> protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take, based on

> >> what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.

> >interesting topic - I just started a bit of reading. My thoughts are two

> >fold:

> >1. This is a topic that will not reach a definitive conclusion for some

> >time. Then it will, over time, swing back and forth between at least two

> >contradictory "definitive conclusions".

> >2. In the mean time, since "Beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) [released on digestion

> >from A1 beta-casein] is a hepta-peptide with opioid characteristics and a

> >strong affinity for mu-opioid receptors", I am all in favor of A1.

> I never drink cow's milk, the only time I consume cow's milk is when
>
> it's in something like ice cream or cheese. And if I were to drink
>
> milk it wouldn't be from an 1A cup, at least a 2D.

We get it. You haven't been laid in 30 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2014 5:02 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with
> A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take,
> based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.
>
> -S-

I have no idea what A2 milk is.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> Somebody needs a tall glass of milk.

I'd rather have a bust in my mouth.

Does this A2 Milk business mean the geneticists are going to eliminate
breast cancer by ManNipUlating genes so women are no longer born with
breasts... what'll they do, implant A2 Milk dispensers by Kohler? Oy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I have no idea what A2 milk is.

Google it and you could respond like a faux scientist too, Jill.
I'm with you here. A glass of milk is a glass of milk.
This is more RFC nonsense analyizing something simple to death.
Give me a break.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:04:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I have no idea what A2 milk is.

>Google it and you could respond like a faux scientist too, Jill.
>I'm with you here. A glass of milk is a glass of milk.
>This is more RFC nonsense analyizing something simple to death.
>Give me a break.

FFS, remain in ignorance then. Unbelievable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2014 5:50 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:04:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I have no idea what A2 milk is.

>> Google it and you could respond like a faux scientist too, Jill.
>> I'm with you here. A glass of milk is a glass of milk.
>> This is more RFC nonsense analyizing something simple to death.
>> Give me a break.

> FFS, remain in ignorance then. Unbelievable.

Perhaps the US simply doesn't have to worry about whatever the heck A2
milk is. I know I don't.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:14:38 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/20/2014 5:50 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> Google it and you could respond like a faux scientist too, Jill.
>>> I'm with you here. A glass of milk is a glass of milk.
>>> This is more RFC nonsense analyizing something simple to death.
>>> Give me a break.

>> FFS, remain in ignorance then. Unbelievable.
>>

>Perhaps the US simply doesn't have to worry about whatever the heck A2
>milk is. I know I don't.

It's all about the U.S now?
So you don't know what it's about but you're also sure your country
doesnt have to 'worry' about it? Unbelievable.

In very simple terms: some people who have a dairy intolerance can in
fact consume A2 dairy with any issues.

The real difference between A2 and A1 milk (today's 'normal' milk) is
in the proteins, cows have been bred with a preference for A1 over the
past few hundred years, even though it was a mutated protein. Guernsey
and Dexter cows are mainly A2 though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 16:18:34 -0700, The Other Guy
> wrote:

>A2 milk is cow's milk that contains the A2 type of ?-casein protein
>rather than the more prevalent A1 protein. This milk is branded by A2
>Corporation and sold mostly in Australia, New Zealand and the United
>Kingdom. There is no consensus that A2 milk has benefits over "A1"
>milk.[1] A2 milk is not a milk substitute for infants with cow milk
>protein allergies.

I don't know who this 'A2 corporation' is, or how they've come to
decide they own a milk protein, but most Guernsey and Dexter cows have
always and still do produce A2 type milk. As for there being no
consensus on pros and cons, well I don't understand that comment at
all. A2 clearly is better for some people who are sensitive to A1
milk. I've seen it for myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2014 9:15 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:14:38 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> FFS, remain in ignorance then. Unbelievable.
>>>

>> Perhaps the US simply doesn't have to worry about whatever the heck A2
>> milk is. I know I don't.

> It's all about the U.S now?
> So you don't know what it's about but you're also sure your country
> doesnt have to 'worry' about it? Unbelievable.
>
> In very simple terms: some people who have a dairy intolerance can in
> fact consume A2 dairy with any issues.
>
> The real difference between A2 and A1 milk (today's 'normal' milk) is
> in the proteins, cows have been bred with a preference for A1 over the
> past few hundred years, even though it was a mutated protein. Guernsey
> and Dexter cows are mainly A2 though.

I do apologize for not having milk or lactose intolerances.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:31:40 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/20/2014 9:15 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:14:38 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Perhaps the US simply doesn't have to worry about whatever the heck A2
>>> milk is. I know I don't.

>> It's all about the U.S now?
>> So you don't know what it's about but you're also sure your country
>> doesnt have to 'worry' about it? Unbelievable.
>>
>> In very simple terms: some people who have a dairy intolerance can in
>> fact consume A2 dairy with any issues.
>>
>> The real difference between A2 and A1 milk (today's 'normal' milk) is
>> in the proteins, cows have been bred with a preference for A1 over the
>> past few hundred years, even though it was a mutated protein. Guernsey
>> and Dexter cows are mainly A2 though.
>>

>I do apologize for not having milk or lactose intolerances.

About time. Now apologise for the rest of the US as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2014 10:32 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:31:40 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>> In very simple terms: some people who have a dairy intolerance can in
>>> fact consume A2 dairy with any issues.
>>>
>>> The real difference between A2 and A1 milk (today's 'normal' milk) is
>>> in the proteins, cows have been bred with a preference for A1 over the
>>> past few hundred years, even though it was a mutated protein. Guernsey
>>> and Dexter cows are mainly A2 though.
>>>

>> I do apologize for not having milk or lactose intolerances.

> About time. Now apologise for the rest of the US as well.

Sorry, I can only speak for one very small part of the US.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with
> A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take,
> based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date,
> inconclusive.
> -S-

Here is the article I read - it was posted on a colleague's FB page:

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...2-milk-america

As I said earlier, I found it interesting reading and thought the
article made a good attempt to present all sides of the issue.

NB: I have no milk or lactose intolerance issues whatsoever.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:37:41 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/20/2014 10:32 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> I do apologize for not having milk or lactose intolerances.

>> About time. Now apologise for the rest of the US as well.
>>

>Sorry, I can only speak for one very small part of the US.

Excuses, excuses
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:45:06 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> Drug use is no laughing matter.

Nothing wrong with drug use. Abuse is a different story. If you can control your heroin use, you will find that good heroin unlocks creativity. Once you start to abuse as in doing it every day, or even every second day, you are in a world of shit. Once or twice a week is OK. And there are many people who just use it on weekends. Not everyone using becomes a junky. Many chippers (weekend users) when asked, will say that they are addicts. The numbers become inflated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:02:52 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:45:06 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> >
> > Drug use is no laughing matter.

> Nothing wrong with drug use. Abuse is a different story. If you can control your heroin use, you will find that good heroin unlocks creativity. Once you start to abuse as in doing it every day, or even every second day, you are in a world of shit. Once or twice a week is OK. And there are many people who just use it on weekends. Not everyone using becomes a junky. Many chippers (weekend users) when asked, will say that they are addicts. The numbers become inflated.

I'm talking about the legal use of prescription drugs. It's a big
money maker for doctors and it's a lot easier to just prescribe more
and more than it is to figure out another way to manage pain.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/14 6:18 PM, sf wrote:

> I'm talking about the legal use of prescription drugs. It's a big
> money maker for doctors and it's a lot easier to just prescribe more
> and more than it is to figure out another way to manage pain.

Most patients I know don't want to manage their pain "another way", they
want to be without their pain now. More often than not they prefer a
faster acting drug rather than non-pharmaceutical interventions which
may or may not work and usually takes more time and commitment to suck
it up until it works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:27:24 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

> On 3/21/14 6:18 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > I'm talking about the legal use of prescription drugs. It's a big
> > money maker for doctors and it's a lot easier to just prescribe more
> > and more than it is to figure out another way to manage pain.
> >

> Most patients I know don't want to manage their pain "another way", they
> want to be without their pain now. More often than not they prefer a
> faster acting drug rather than non-pharmaceutical interventions which
> may or may not work and usually takes more time and commitment to suck
> it up until it works.

Classic addicts.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> On 3/21/14 6:18 PM, sf wrote:
>

>> I'm talking about the legal use of prescription drugs. It's a big
>> money maker for doctors and it's a lot easier to just prescribe more
>> and more than it is to figure out another way to manage pain.
>>

> Most patients I know don't want to manage their pain "another way", they
> want to be without their pain now. More often than not they prefer a
> faster acting drug rather than non-pharmaceutical interventions which may
> or may not work and usually takes more time and commitment to suck it up
> until it works.

I loved my Dilaudid when I had pneumonia with pleurisy. Good stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-23 4:40 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> Most patients I know don't want to manage their pain "another way", they
>> want to be without their pain now. More often than not they prefer a
>> faster acting drug rather than non-pharmaceutical interventions which may
>> or may not work and usually takes more time and commitment to suck it up
>> until it works.

> I loved my Dilaudid when I had pneumonia with pleurisy. Good stuff.

I found it to be pretty effective pain relief after heart surgery but
did not enjoy the side effects of being stupid and hallucinating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk
>> with A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My
>> take, based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date,
>> inconclusive.

> interesting topic - I just started a bit of reading. My thoughts are
> two fold:
>
> 1. This is a topic that will not reach a definitive conclusion for
> some time. Then it will, over time, swing back and forth between at
> least two contradictory "definitive conclusions".
>
> 2. In the mean time, since "Beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) [released on
> digestion from A1 beta-casein] is a hepta-peptide with opioid
> characteristics and a strong affinity for mu-opioid receptors", I am
> all in favor of A1.

I amazed at what a "whisper down the lane" game your comments here
started. You'd think people actually thought you were recommeding the
drinking of A1 milk as an alternative to heroin use - ah, the wonder of
the Internet.

In the meantime, I tried to ask on the WF web site if there was any way
to tell the difference between A1 and A2 milk among the various
offerings in my local store, and the web site seemed broken for me - it
kept telling me I didn't fill out the "enter the numbers you see above"
thing - but none were shown on my screen. So I mentioned this to the
check-out clerk yesterday, and he pointed me to a comments form that
includes an email address for some sort of regional representative, and
I will send off an email tonight or tomorrow and ask what WF's opinion
and policy is on this one - just curious to know if they're aware of the
"controversy," such as it is.

-S-

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:11:59 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> You'd think people actually thought you were recommeding the
> drinking of A1 milk as an alternative to heroin use - ah, the wonder of
> the Internet.

No, you're the one who is misinterpreting. I said anything that
attaches itself to opioid receptors is no laughing matter and I don't
have to defend myself beyond that, read the article.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Pico Rico wrote:
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk
>>> with A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My
>>> take, based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date,
>>> inconclusive.

>> interesting topic - I just started a bit of reading. My thoughts are
>> two fold:
>>
>> 1. This is a topic that will not reach a definitive conclusion for
>> some time. Then it will, over time, swing back and forth between at
>> least two contradictory "definitive conclusions".
>>
>> 2. In the mean time, since "Beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) [released on
>> digestion from A1 beta-casein] is a hepta-peptide with opioid
>> characteristics and a strong affinity for mu-opioid receptors", I am
>> all in favor of A1.

> I amazed at what a "whisper down the lane" game your comments here
> started. You'd think people actually thought you were recommeding the
> drinking of A1 milk as an alternative to heroin use - ah, the wonder of
> the Internet.

well, both Julie and Ms. Dataw are not posting much right now, to the bottom
feeders need to fish around. I, too, am amazed, particularly at Ms. Hyde's
reaction. Sounds like she is posting from the computer in the rehab center.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:02:01 PM UTC-4, Steve Freides wrote:
> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk with
>
> A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take,
>
> based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date, inconclusive.
>

> -S-

I've read about ten posts to this thread - would someone please put this controversy into layman's terms?

I am a big milk drinker - skim, that is.

What Rx drugs are in question here? Pain killers? I take none - so need I worry?

Dummy Me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-03-23 4:40 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>>> Most patients I know don't want to manage their pain "another way", they
>>> want to be without their pain now. More often than not they prefer a
>>> faster acting drug rather than non-pharmaceutical interventions which
>>> may
>>> or may not work and usually takes more time and commitment to suck it up
>>> until it works.

>> I loved my Dilaudid when I had pneumonia with pleurisy. Good stuff.
>>

> I found it to be pretty effective pain relief after heart surgery but did
> not enjoy the side effects of being stupid and hallucinating.

I was in so much pain from the pleurisy I dodn't care if I was seeing
vampire bats. Pain that intense makes your mid think crazy thoughts.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:02:01 PM UTC-4, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Anyone else heard about the controversy as to whether or not milk
>> with
>>
>> A2 protein is better? I was recently made aware of this. My take,
>>
>> based on what I've read, is that the evidence is, to date,
>> inconclusive.
>>

>> -S-

> I've read about ten posts to this thread - would someone please put
> this controversy into layman's terms?
>
> I am a big milk drinker - skim, that is.
>
> What Rx drugs are in question here? Pain killers? I take none - so
> need I worry?
>
> Dummy Me

No, no, it's nothing like that. Apparently certain kinds of cows
produce different proteins in milk, and some people, although apparently
not many, are sensitive to the difference. I read the article I gave a
link to on the facebook page of a friend of mine who thought his
daughter was allergic to milk - she had to stop drinking it completely.
When he heard that "other" milk had A2 instead of A1 protein, he bought
some and, lo and behold, his daughter can drink milk again.

That's why I asked. The whole opioate thing is just a bit of nonsense
that's gotten blown far out of proportion - in the article, they
advanced the theory that A1 milk somehow makes people feel better
because it's, I don't know, like heroin. Seriously, it's all just
theories and I could care less about theories, but the fact that
apparently Europeans drink mostly milk with A2 and we here in the US get
mostly A1, and that my friend's daughter can tell the difference - well,
all those things make me want to know more on the subject and, in
particular, to try buying milk that's of the A2 type for a while to see
if anyone in my house reacts differently to it.

Hope that helps.

-S-