Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Inconvenient truth to teach kids about sugar

Namely: It counts as sugar (and as something to be avoided) even when you can't quite taste it. Of course, to many kids, this seems horribly unfair.

Example: "Yes, I know you like canned tomato soup better than any homemade tomato soup, but we're still not buying it, even with your allowance money. Why? Because sugar happens to be the second ingredient - surprise, surprise."

(No reason to phrase it exactly that way, of course. I just wondered how many here have had kids get upset over that rule or that realization - especially if those kids happen to be surrounded by schoolmates who eat candy as a snack at least several times a week - and/or the more popular super-processed foods for dinner.)

BTW, the subject reminds me of a FBOFW comic strip starring Lizzie in the supermarket - trouble is, the archives don't seem to be functioning right now, so I can't find it.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:30:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Namely: It counts as sugar (and as something to be avoided) even when you can't quite taste it. Of course, to many kids, this seems horribly unfair.
>

> Example: "Yes, I know you like canned tomato soup better than any homemade tomato soup, but we're still not buying it, even with your allowance money. Why? Because sugar happens to be the second ingredient - surprise, surprise."
>

> (No reason to phrase it exactly that way, of course. I just wondered how many here have had kids get upset over that rule or that realization - especially if those kids happen to be surrounded by schoolmates who eat candy as a snack at least several times a week - and/or the more popular super-processed foods for dinner.)

My son has been raised on sucralose, but there are exceptions. Tonight's
home made applesauce will have a bit of cane sugar added. I won't be eating
it, but my wife is slender, and my son, even more so.

----

Back after dinner. Perfect pork chops, perfect apple sauce, perfect mashed
potatoes, and what can I say about the faux gravy? One thing is that my son
really loves the Better Than Bouillon chicken gravy, thickened with Swan's
Down flour. He often complains about dinner, but he was the one who used the word, "perfect," and w/o the "gravy," he might not have.

> Lenona.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2014 5:30 PM, wrote:

> Namely: It counts as sugar (and as something to be avoided) even when you can't quite taste it. Of course, to many kids, this seems horribly unfair.
>
> Example: "Yes, I know you like canned tomato soup better than any homemade tomato soup, but we're still not buying it, even with your allowance money. Why? Because sugar happens to be the second ingredient - surprise, surprise."
>
> (No reason to phrase it exactly that way, of course. I just wondered how many here have had kids get upset over that rule or that realization - especially if those kids happen to be surrounded by schoolmates who eat candy as a snack at least several times a week - and/or the more popular super-processed foods for dinner.)
>
> BTW, the subject reminds me of a FBOFW comic strip starring Lizzie in the supermarket - trouble is, the archives don't seem to be functioning right now, so I can't find it.
>

> Lenona.

"America's Test Kitchen" taste-tested canned tomato soup last night.
Campbell's came in dead last. The main comment was that it was too sweet
and didn't really taste like tomatoes. The winner was Progresso "Hearty"
tomato soup according to the audience, although the TV host didn't like
it as much because it had too much of an herbal taste.

I was surprised when they mentioned the high sugar content of
Campbell's. I love the stuff myself, especially mixed with about an
equal amount of crushed saltines. I guess that the sugar content is
another reason to make it just an occasional treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:25:32 PM UTC-6, Travis McGee wrote:

> > Namely: It counts as sugar (and as something to be avoided) even when you can't quite taste it. Of course, to many kids, this seems horribly unfair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:49:32 PM UTC-5, Mark Thorson wrote:

> The only reason to deny sugar to non-obese children
>
> is to train them to have food habits that will
>
> benefit them in middle age. This may backfire, if
>
> on becoming adults they indulge in the pleasures
>
> denied them as children.

Well, why WOULD kids who are raised neglectfully stop guzzling soda, candy, etc., as adults just because they MAY know their metabolisms are slowing down and they're going to have more and more trouble keeping the weight off, with their eating habits, even if they spend a lot of time running?

My mother only allowed us to have one sugary snack a week, in the 1970s - and if we EVER had, say, Super Sugar Crisps in the house, I don't remember it. I'm not quite so disciplined as an adult, but I've come to see the cereal aisle in supermarkets as being little better than the dessert/cookie aisle (I buy oatmeal in bulk, sometimes); I haven't bought soda for myself since college; and just because there's a Dunkin Donuts three blocks from my house does not mean I'm depriving myself by buying from them once a year or less. (The way I see it, self-denial is deprivation only when you're talking about some treat that gets SOLD only one month per year, or is something you can only find when visiting a foreign country. This is a principle a parent can explain to kids when buying a rare treat for the parent.)

I found the FBOFW strip - for some reason, searching by keyword at the site itself didn't work and I had to Google the whole sentence. Good thing I remembered it. (Then I had to search on the ID number to avoid showing other strips!)

http://catalog.fborfw.com/indexid.ph...&Submit=Search

Note that Lizzie doesn't even consider the fatty granola to be sweet enough!

Lenona.