Posted to rec.food.cooking
RT RT is offline

Default When to teach Kids Knife Skills?

I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
skills?

Thanks

RT

Posted to rec.food.cooking
RT RT is offline

Guessing 13?

"RT" > wrote in message
>I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
>using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
>skills?
>
> Thanks
>
> RT

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 10:02 pm, "RT" > wrote:
> I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
> using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
> skills?
>
> Thanks
>
> RT

5-7, with close supervision. The 9 year old is old enough. Girl
Scouts at that age are taught proper handling of jackknives, axes,
and saws.

Start by going over knife safety: never point or throw a knife at
someone, keep all fingers away from the blade, what to do with the
knife after you're done. Remind them regularly that knives are not
toys. It takes a while for that to sink in. Make sure they know that
they only cut things when Mom or Dad are there with them.

Just make sure the knives they use fit their hands, and you are aware
of how sober they are about the process. Let them know it's very much
a big kid thing, and any misuse gets the knife taken away
immediately. Have your 3 year old cut marshmallows or toast with a
table blade. The 9-year-old should be able to start working with a
paring knife. See how that goes, and graduate to more complex types
of cutting as each child gains dexterity and control, and masters the
skills with the smaller, lighter blades.

And keep a big box of band-aids handy.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RT wrote:
> Guessing 13?

Please, don't top-post.

Age isn't the issue. Hand-eye coordination, fine muscle control, and the
ability to focus on the task at hand are the markers to look for. These can
occur within the elementary school years, or later. For one of my boys, it
was 9. For another it was 14.

When the time comes, pick a knife that is the appropriate size to match the
child. Knives that I use were much, much too much for the 9 year old. The
idea is to give a tool that is suitable to developing and building
confidence in the child.

As you teach, you will start with pre-cut sections of vegetable, sized
appropriately so that it is easily handled by the child. Remember, it is not
speed that you are after, it is a natural coordinated rythym of each step of
the skill done in a natural fluid motion. Speed will come only after every
step comes together smoothly and is second nature to the learner.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> RT wrote:
>> Guessing 13?

> Please, don't top-post.
>
> Age isn't the issue. Hand-eye coordination, fine muscle control, and
> the ability to focus on the task at hand are the markers to look for.
> These can occur within the elementary school years, or later. For one
> of my boys, it was 9. For another it was 14.
>
> When the time comes, pick a knife that is the appropriate size to
> match the child. Knives that I use were much, much too much for the
> 9 year old. The idea is to give a tool that is suitable to developing
> and building confidence in the child.

Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven is
hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say 13-14 for
chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then, teach them they will
sometimes cut themselves.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Apr 7, 10:02 pm, "RT" > wrote:
>> I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see
>> me using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach
>> knife skills?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> RT

> 5-7, with close supervision. The 9 year old is old enough. Girl
> Scouts at that age are taught proper handling of jackknives, axes,
> and saws.
>
> Start by going over knife safety: never point or throw a knife at
> someone, keep all fingers away from the blade, what to do with the
> knife after you're done. Remind them regularly that knives are not
> toys. It takes a while for that to sink in. Make sure they know that
> they only cut things when Mom or Dad are there with them.
>
> Just make sure the knives they use fit their hands, and you are aware
> of how sober they are about the process. Let them know it's very much
> a big kid thing, and any misuse gets the knife taken away
> immediately. Have your 3 year old cut marshmallows or toast with a
> table blade. The 9-year-old should be able to start working with a
> paring knife. See how that goes, and graduate to more complex types
> of cutting as each child gains dexterity and control, and masters the
> skills with the smaller, lighter blades.
>
> And keep a big box of band-aids handy.
>
> maxine in ri

I totally forgot that I had to get a Girl Scout Knife (wonder what happened
to it?) similar to a Swiss Army Knife... hmmm, I think it only lacked the
corkscrew. :P

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:02:06 GMT, "RT" > wrote:

>I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
>using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
>skills?

Teach the 9 year old.... 3 is ai bit young - unless you plan to keep a
close eye on him/her.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

RT wrote:
> I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
> using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
> skills?
>
> Thanks
>
> RT

You can start teaching them basic knife usage at 3, with butter
knives. I would wait on the sharp knives at least until 6 or so.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > RT wrote:
> > > Guessing 13?

> > Please, don't top-post.
> >
> > Age isn't the issue. Hand-eye coordination, fine muscle control, and
> > the ability to focus on the task at hand are the markers to look
> > for. These can occur within the elementary school years, or later.
> > For one of my boys, it was 9. For another it was 14.
> >
> > When the time comes, pick a knife that is the appropriate size to
> > match the child. Knives that I use were much, much too much for the
> > 9 year old. The idea is to give a tool that is suitable to
> > developing and building confidence in the child.
> >

> Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven
> is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say
> 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then,
> teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.
>
> Jill

And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?

BOB
was prepping food (with a knife) at the age of 5, helping my Mom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:02:06 GMT, "RT" > wrote:
>
> > I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both
> > see me using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to
> > teach knife skills?
> >

> Teach the 9 year old.... 3 is ai bit young - unless you plan to keep a
> close eye on him/her.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

The 3 year old can learn. Think butter-type knife, cutting bread, toast,
etc.
But yes, keep a close eye on both of them.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 10:02 pm, "RT" > wrote:
> I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
> using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
> skills?
>
> Thanks
>
> RT

Depends on all sorts of things but a mature nine year old is probably
old enough. But I am doing this based on bicycle safety training
ages[1]. A child younger than that may have the physical dexterity
but might not have a long attention span to savely handle a knife.
As an aside I was splitting wood and starting the morning fire at
school by the time I was 10 and nobody seemed worried.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

[1] Our anecdotal findings are that children under this age can ride a
bike but have problems with rules of the road, signalling etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RT" > wrote in message
>I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
>using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
>skills?
>
> Thanks
>
> RT

It would depend on the child. I had 4 children and mine learned at different
ages. I had a couple at 10 to 11 that where able to do it safely with the
other 2 learning from them a little younger. I do suggest you check out
these for their first chef's knife:
http://www.korin.com/product.php?pid...um=HMI-685-120

This is just one source of these as there are other manufactures of knives
like these.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>>
>>> Please, don't top-post.
>>>
>>> Age isn't the issue. Hand-eye coordination, fine muscle control, and
>>> the ability to focus on the task at hand are the markers to look
>>> for. These can occur within the elementary school years, or later.
>>> For one of my boys, it was 9. For another it was 14.
>>>
>>> When the time comes, pick a knife that is the appropriate size to
>>> match the child. Knives that I use were much, much too much for the
>>> 9 year old. The idea is to give a tool that is suitable to
>>> developing and building confidence in the child.
>>>

>> Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven
>> is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say
>> 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then,
>> teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.
>>
>> Jill

> And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?
>
> BOB
> was prepping food (with a knife) at the age of 5, helping my Mom

Oh F-U Bob! Did I say I was an expert?! I didn't say that at all. But I
wasn't allowed to handle the sharp chefs knives until I was a teen. My mom
wouldn't even let me around the kitchen until I was 7 or 8 except to wash
dishes. And when I was 9 we got a (woo hoo!) portable dishwasher and I was
allowed to load and unload it. The kitchen was not the domain of children
weilding knives. And I was replying to Dave Bugg, so shut yer pie-hole.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote:

>> Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven
>> is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say
>> 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then,
>> teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.
>>
>> Jill

> And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?

This is just one of the things I cannot stand about Jill. The ease
with which she expounds upon things which she knows nothing
at all about--in an authoritative tone, no less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote:
> > > >
> > > Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an
> > > oven is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah,
> > > I'd say 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even
> > > then, teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?
> >

> This is just one of the things I cannot stand about Jill. The ease
> with which she expounds upon things which she knows nothing
> at all about--in an authoritative tone, no less.

B I N G O

We have a winner here!

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> BOB wrote:

> > > Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an
> > > oven is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah,
> > > I'd say 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED).
> > > Even then, teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?
> >
> > BOB
> > was prepping food (with a knife) at the age of 5, helping my Mom

> Oh F-U Bob! Did I say I was an expert?!

Using *YOUR* logic...YES, you did.

> I didn't say that at all.
> But I wasn't allowed to handle the sharp chefs knives until I was a
> teen.

Maybe *your* mom should have waited until *you* left home?

> My mom wouldn't even let me around the kitchen until I was 7
> or 8 except to wash dishes.

Smart woman, your mom.

> And when I was 9 we got a (woo hoo!)
> portable dishwasher and I was allowed to load and unload it. The
> kitchen was not the domain of children weilding knives. And I was
> replying to Dave Bugg, so shut yer pie-hole.

So, no one can post a reply, except you? Who makes the rules?

> Jill

Idiot. Go find your (traveling) boyfriend and get laid.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:02:06 GMT, "RT" > wrote:

>I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
>using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
>skills?
>
>Thanks
>
>RT

Now.

The Nine year old is ready, though if they have not used a sharp knife
before start them with something a bit less dangerous.

The three year old - some playdoh and a plastic knife are a great tool
to teach with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:02:06 GMT, "RT" > wrote:

>I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
>using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
>skills?
>
>Thanks
>
>RT

A further note to my other post - If they have to use a stool to reach
what they are cutting they are not ready - kids squirm too much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> RT wrote:
>> I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
>> using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
>> skills?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> RT

> You can start teaching them basic knife usage at 3, with butter
> knives. I would wait on the sharp knives at least until 6 or so.
> -L.

My 4-year-old learned to use a small spreader knife to spread cream cheese
on her bagel when she was 2. She really loves helping out in the kitchen,
but I think it will be a long while before she or either of the twins are
using sharp knives. Just me being overly cautious.

I don't remember when I first started using sharp knives, but I know it
wasn't before 12 or so.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote:
>>> >
>>> Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven
>>> is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say
>>> 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then,
>>> teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?
>>

> This is just one of the things I cannot stand about Jill. The ease
> with which she expounds upon things which she knows nothing
> at all about--in an authoritative tone, no less.

I had noticed that too. The less she knows the more authoritative she
sounds.

Both of my sons were fairly competent cooks by the time they were 13. Very
little was safe from them by that age. The two things I know that took them
both longer to learn to cook were fried chicken and gravy.

It depends on the kid and the parent at what age a kid can start learning
things in the kitchen. My oldest started "cooking" at 2 by making toast.
He graduated to frying eggs when he was 5. In another year or so he was
boiling hot dogs and making soups. He didn't do mac and cheese for a couple
more years because I didn't want him carrying a pan of boiling hot water
across the kitchen. The younger son pretty much followed in his brother's
footsteps and was cooking by the time he was 5 or 6 too.

When the youngest was about 14 his favorite afterschool snack was a pan of
fried potatoes. He would fill the 14 inch cast iron skillet with sliced
potatoes and eat the whole pan full himself. Then he would eat supper too,
and sometimes another snack after supper. Talk about a bottomless pit!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> RT wrote:
>>> I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both
>>> see me using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to
>>> teach knife skills?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> RT

>> You can start teaching them basic knife usage at 3, with butter
>> knives. I would wait on the sharp knives at least until 6 or so.
>> -L.

> My 4-year-old learned to use a small spreader knife to spread cream
> cheese on her bagel when she was 2. She really loves helping out in
> the kitchen, but I think it will be a long while before she or either
> of the twins are using sharp knives. Just me being overly cautious.
>
> I don't remember when I first started using sharp knives, but I know
> it wasn't before 12 or so.
>
> Mary

Thank you. You don't want to put sharp chefs knives in the hands of young
children. There are people (whom I've killfiled multiple times but keep
coming back) who think I'm being too authoritative on this subject. But I
know from experience you don't hand a knife to a baby or anyone age of say,
3-9 and say "cut this up for me". What, are they too lazy to cut their own
vegetables? I don't care if the kid is interested. Interested means
instruction, not hand a child a sharp knife and say "have at it!"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> MareCat wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> You can start teaching them basic knife usage at 3, with butter
>>> knives. I would wait on the sharp knives at least until 6 or so.
>>> -L.

>> My 4-year-old learned to use a small spreader knife to spread cream
>> cheese on her bagel when she was 2. She really loves helping out in
>> the kitchen, but I think it will be a long while before she or either
>> of the twins are using sharp knives. Just me being overly cautious.
>>
>> I don't remember when I first started using sharp knives, but I know
>> it wasn't before 12 or so.
>>
>> Mary

> Thank you. You don't want to put sharp chefs knives in the hands of young
> children. There are people (whom I've killfiled multiple times but keep
> coming back) who think I'm being too authoritative on this subject. But I
> know from experience you don't hand a knife to a baby or anyone age of
> say,
> 3-9 and say "cut this up for me". What, are they too lazy to cut their
> own
> vegetables? I don't care if the kid is interested. Interested means
> instruction, not hand a child a sharp knife and say "have at it!"
>
> Jill

How many 3 to 9 year olds have you had?

The best way to learn is hands on. If they don't have a knife in their hand
it's pretty hard to learn. You show them first how to and then you hand
them a knife. But you give them one appropriate for their hand size.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> MareCat wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> You can start teaching them basic knife usage at 3, with butter
>>> knives. I would wait on the sharp knives at least until 6 or so.
>>> -L.

>> My 4-year-old learned to use a small spreader knife to spread cream
>> cheese on her bagel when she was 2. She really loves helping out in
>> the kitchen, but I think it will be a long while before she or either
>> of the twins are using sharp knives. Just me being overly cautious.
>>
>> I don't remember when I first started using sharp knives, but I know
>> it wasn't before 12 or so.
>>
>> Mary

> Thank you. You don't want to put sharp chefs knives in the hands of young
> children. There are people (whom I've killfiled multiple times but keep
> coming back) who think I'm being too authoritative on this subject. But I
> know from experience you don't hand a knife to a baby or anyone age of
> say,
> 3-9 and say "cut this up for me". What, are they too lazy to cut their
> own
> vegetables? I don't care if the kid is interested. Interested means
> instruction, not hand a child a sharp knife and say "have at it!"

Of course, you'd have them learn first--by watching you for awhile, then by
practicing with a small knife under lots of supervision--not just hand them
a sharp knife and have them start cutting.

I can't say right now when my kids will be old enough to start wielding a
sharp knife in the kitchen, but I'm guessing it will be at least a few years
before my oldest daughter does so. I'll just have to see how it goes. Every
kid is different. It all depends on when a child shows the readiness skills.
(I think the reason I didn't use knives before 12 was that I never got the
opportunity to practice before then.)

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote:
> >> >
> >> Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven
> >> is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say
> >> 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then,
> >> teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?
> >

> This is just one of the things I cannot stand about Jill. The ease
> with which she expounds upon things which she knows nothing
> at all about--in an authoritative tone, no less.

Oh please guys! Jill is good people, and this is, after all, a
discussion forum and she was just expressing an opinion just like
everyone else! :-(

As for mine, I don't think that age has anything to do with it. It
depends on the maturity of the kid. I know that mom started teaching me
to cook when I was only 4 and I have no recollection of when I first
started using knives.

Seems like I always did. ;-)

I also fired my first BB gun at age 4 and graduated to a .22 at age 6...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ms P" > wrote:

> When the youngest was about 14 his favorite afterschool snack was a pan of
> fried potatoes. He would fill the 14 inch cast iron skillet with sliced
> potatoes and eat the whole pan full himself. Then he would eat supper too,
> and sometimes another snack after supper. Talk about a bottomless pit!
>
> Ms P

At least spuds are cheap food. :-)
I've heard that teenage boys are like that.
My sister has 2 boys so it'll be fun watching them grow to that stage.
Right now my nephews are only 3 and 5...... (almost)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:33:20 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
>> Oh please guys! Jill is good people, and this is, after all, a
>> discussion forum and she was just expressing an opinion just like
>> everyone else! :-(

> She pulls this shit all the time. It gets really tiring.
>
> And I wouldn't call it an opinion.

AND there is NOTHING "good people" about Jill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 6:51 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> BOB wrote:

> >> Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven
> >> is hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say
> >> 13-14 for chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then,
> >> teach them they will sometimes cut themselves.

> >> Jill

> > And you are the expert on when kids can be taught *anything*?

> > BOB
> > was prepping food (with a knife) at the age of 5, helping my Mom

> Oh F-U Bob! Did I say I was an expert?! I didn't say that at all. But I
> wasn't allowed to handle the sharp chefs knives until I was a teen. My mom
> wouldn't even let me around the kitchen until I was 7 or 8 except to wash
> dishes. And when I was 9 we got a (woo hoo!) portable dishwasher and I was
> allowed to load and unload it. The kitchen was not the domain of children
> weilding knives. And I was replying to Dave Bugg, so shut yer pie-hole.
>
> Jill

Hey Jill,

Its an open forum, its public. This is not your private
conversation. You want privacy - start a private group.

Sorry to hear you have led such a sheltered life.

If you feel the need to supervise a 13 or 14 your old kid chopping up
an apple in a kitchen, you are raising kids who will not fare very
well in the world. When will they be allowed to use the microwave?
Draw HOT water from the tap? Use the can opener? Did you know a
spoon can kill? Do you supervise them in the tub and shower? - can
drown there you know. Scissors, are they allowed to use scissors
without supervision?

You were treated as if you were an idiot as a kid, that doesn't make
it RIGHT.

You mention kill filing people: go ahead. The truth hurts, so you try
to bury it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 02:12:04 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Dave Bugg wrote:
>> RT wrote:
>>> Guessing 13?

>> Please, don't top-post.
>>
>> Age isn't the issue. Hand-eye coordination, fine muscle control, and
>> the ability to focus on the task at hand are the markers to look for.
>> These can occur within the elementary school years, or later. For one
>> of my boys, it was 9. For another it was 14.
>>
>> When the time comes, pick a knife that is the appropriate size to
>> match the child. Knives that I use were much, much too much for the
>> 9 year old. The idea is to give a tool that is suitable to developing
>> and building confidence in the child.
>>

>Pretty much the same, IMHO with teaching them a stove is hot, an oven is
>hot. But they can't always reach the knife... so yeah, I'd say 13-14 for
>chopping up vegetables (always SUPERVISED). Even then, teach them they will
>sometimes cut themselves.
>
>Jill

Wonder why the mothers did not want their children to be in the
kitchen? It occurs to me than many of them did not want to relinquish
control of the one place in the house that was their domain. Within
reason, because she still had to make sure that she made things that
Daddy liked.

I was in the kitchen as early as I can remember. I cannot say that I
was cooking that early, but by the 5th grade I was helping with
supper. My mother was divorced and worked full time. I remember
making waffles when I was probably in the 4th grade. Also made a
fruit salad to go with them. And no, mother was not at home.

Any thoughts?
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:33:20 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Oh please guys! Jill is good people, and this is, after all, a
> > discussion forum and she was just expressing an opinion just like
> > everyone else! :-(

> She pulls this shit all the time. It gets really tiring.
>
> And I wouldn't call it an opinion.
>
> -sw

She is still good people... :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:33:20 -0500, Omelet wrote:
> >
> >> Oh please guys! Jill is good people, and this is, after all, a
> >> discussion forum and she was just expressing an opinion just like
> >> everyone else! :-(

> > She pulls this shit all the time. It gets really tiring.
> >
> > And I wouldn't call it an opinion.
> >

> AND there is NOTHING "good people" about Jill.

Why?

I guess we are even then.
You have no use for Jill, and I have no use for Barry...

I like Jill but as a friend, not a lover.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> MareCat wrote:
>>> "-L." > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> My 4-year-old learned to use a small spreader knife to spread cream
>>> cheese on her bagel when she was 2. She really loves helping out in
>>> the kitchen, but I think it will be a long while before she or
>>> either of the twins are using sharp knives. Just me being overly
>>> cautious.
>>>
>>> I don't remember when I first started using sharp knives, but I know
>>> it wasn't before 12 or so.
>>>
>>> Mary

>> Thank you. You don't want to put sharp chefs knives in the hands of
>> young children. There are people (whom I've killfiled multiple
>> times but keep coming back) who think I'm being too authoritative on
>> this subject. But I know from experience you don't hand a knife to
>> a baby or anyone age of say,
>> 3-9 and say "cut this up for me". What, are they too lazy to cut
>> their own
>> vegetables? I don't care if the kid is interested. Interested means
>> instruction, not hand a child a sharp knife and say "have at it!"

> Of course, you'd have them learn first--by watching you for awhile,
> then by practicing with a small knife under lots of supervision--not
> just hand them a sharp knife and have them start cutting.
>
> I can't say right now when my kids will be old enough to start
> wielding a sharp knife in the kitchen, but I'm guessing it will be at
> least a few years before my oldest daughter does so. I'll just have
> to see how it goes. Every kid is different. It all depends on when a
> child shows the readiness skills. (I think the reason I didn't use
> knives before 12 was that I never got the opportunity to practice
> before then.)
>
> Mary

I was making rice on a hot stove in Thailand at age 9 and I knew not to
touch the burners. I wasn't allowed to fool around with knives. I was
never "taught" to use knives, it was just something I started doing when I
was around 14 or 15, slicing hot off the grill and set on a cutting board
marinated flank steak. Sliced very thinly against the grain. YUM!

Next thing I knew I was deboning raw chicken breasts. That was to save
money, because already boned chicken breasts cost more (and still do). Just
sort of happened. I am not sure kids need to be "taught" to use knives.
Certainly not a three year old.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 10:02�pm, "RT" > wrote:
> I have a 3 *and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. *Both see me
> using a Chefs knife. *What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
> skills?

Dexterity is primarilly dependant on innate ability. With some folks
fine muscle control will become apparent at a very early age, long
before they can walk or even crawl. Some toddlers have no problen
handling knives that are appropriately sized for their hands, many
three year olds can be quite proficinet with a paring knife. A parent
should be able to determine with a fair degree of accuracy the level
of proficiency by which their child can handle tools by the time a
child is five. If you need to ask then your nine year old will never
be proficient with a knife, by five years old any child truely
interested in kitchen work and is so innately gifted will have already
demonstrated a proficient level of dexterity with all kitchen tools
including cutlery. But most people will never be very proficient
with using hand tools... some are very good but most TV celebrity
chefs can barely handle a knife... Julia was one of the klutziest.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:
> Hey Jill,
>
> Its an open forum, its public. This is not your private
> conversation. You want privacy - start a private group.

I've been here much longer than you have, wench. I know what RFC is about,
the newpie poster doesn't.

> Sorry to hear you have led such a sheltered life.
>
> You were treated as if you were an idiot as a kid, that doesn't make
> it RIGHT.
>
> You mention kill filing people: go ahead. The truth hurts, so you try
> to bury it.

You're an idiot if you think a 3 year old should be handed a chefs knife.
Or maybe you've raised a passel of serial killers who go out and dismember
animals and you ignore it. I dunno. <shrugs>

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

Joe Cilinceon

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

As a father of 4 kids (1 girl) and grand father of 17, I hate to say it but
once I agree with Sheldon on this one. Each child is different, period.
Putting an age on it is relative at all, age has nothing to do with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 12:39?pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 08:03:00 -0400, BOB wrote:
> > BOB
> > was prepping food (with a knife) at the age of 5, helping my Mom

> I was making complete dinners when I was 10-11.

I don't think Snap, Crackle, Pop for brekkie, P n' J for lunch, and
Swanson TV Dinners count. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:

> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon
>

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> Dexterity is primarilly dependant on innate ability. With some folks
> fine muscle control will become apparent at a very early age, long
> before they can walk or even crawl. Some toddlers have no problen
> handling knives that are appropriately sized for their hands, many
> three year olds can be quite proficinet with a paring knife. A parent
> should be able to determine with a fair degree of accuracy the level
> of proficiency by which their child can handle tools by the time a
> child is five. If you need to ask then your nine year old will never
> be proficient with a knife, by five years old any child truely
> interested in kitchen work and is so innately gifted will have already
> demonstrated a proficient level of dexterity with all kitchen tools
> including cutlery. But most people will never be very proficient
> with using hand tools... some are very good but most TV celebrity
> chefs can barely handle a knife... Julia was one of the klutziest.
>
> Sheldon
>

> As a father of 4 kids (1 girl) and grand father of 17, I hate to say it but
> once I agree with Sheldon on this one. Each child is different, period.
> Putting an age on it is relative at all, age has nothing to do with it.

I believe I said much the same thing...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 7, 10:02?pm, "RT" > wrote:
> I have a 3 and 9 year old that are interested in cooking. Both see me
> using a Chefs knife. What would the appropriate age be to teach knife
> skills?

Dexterity is primarilly dependant on innate ability.

Damn, Sheldon, did you blow out your dentures on that line?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote
> She is still good people... :-)
> --

No offense, Om, but your standards must be really low
or else you have not been reading Jill for long.

She does little, if anything, for anyone but Jill, she is
mean-spirited, petty, resentful and has a sense of
entitlement that won't quit. The one time she bought a
bum a hamburger she broadcast the deed like that
made her Mother Teresa. And she didn't even buy
him a soda to go with it. Good people my ass.

Moreover, she has earned this rancor by constantly
exposing enormous and enormously unattractive parts
of her personal life in anecdotes and here, despite frequent
admonitions that if she doesn't like negative comments on
her horrible behavior she should not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 4:08 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> MareCat wrote:
> egroups.com...

> >> Thank you. You don't want to put sharp chefs knives in the hands of
> >> young children. There are people (whom I've killfiled multiple
> >> times but keep coming back) who think I'm being too authoritative on
> >> this subject. But I know from experience you don't hand a knife to
> >> a baby or anyone age of say,
> >> 3-9 and say "cut this up for me". What, are they too lazy to cut
> >> their own
> >> vegetables? I don't care if the kid is interested. Interested means
> >> instruction, not hand a child a sharp knife and say "have at it!"

> > Of course, you'd have them learn first--by watching you for awhile,
> > then by practicing with a small knife under lots of supervision--not
> > just hand them a sharp knife and have them start cutting.

> > I can't say right now when my kids will be old enough to start
> > wielding a sharp knife in the kitchen, but I'm guessing it will be at
> > least a few years before my oldest daughter does so. I'll just have
> > to see how it goes. Every kid is different. It all depends on when a
> > child shows the readiness skills. (I think the reason I didn't use
> > knives before 12 was that I never got the opportunity to practice
> > before then.)

> > Mary

> I was making rice on a hot stove in Thailand at age 9 and I knew not to
> touch the burners. I wasn't allowed to fool around with knives. I was
> never "taught" to use knives, it was just something I started doing when I
> was around 14 or 15, slicing hot off the grill and set on a cutting board
> marinated flank steak. Sliced very thinly against the grain. YUM!
>
> Next thing I knew I was deboning raw chicken breasts. That was to save
> money, because already boned chicken breasts cost more (and still do). Just
> sort of happened. I am not sure kids need to be "taught" to use knives.
> Certainly not a three year old.
>
> Jill

If you're going to use a knie properly , that is the way a
professional cook does, then you do need some training. A good demo on
general safe handling also does not go amiss. Just to use a knife as
most people do does not really take much if any training. Of course I
tend to get the shakes watching them with knives.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
> > She is still good people... :-)
> > --

> No offense, Om, but your standards must be really low
> or else you have not been reading Jill for long.

Standards? See below. I don't generally set "standards" on what I expect
or see in people unless they are serious scumbags or ass hole/losers
(like the Lone Weasel!) If someone is stupid/boring or deliberately
mean/vicious and overly critical (like Jay or Goomba), I'll just
killfile them.

If you don't like Jill, why do you read her? Is attacking her really
worth your valuable time??? I think that the good stuff she contributes
far outweighs any of her faults. :-)

Besides, she has good reason to be a bitch sometimes.

> She does little, if anything, for anyone but Jill, she is
> mean-spirited, petty, resentful and has a sense of
> entitlement that won't quit. The one time she bought a
> bum a hamburger she broadcast the deed like that
> made her Mother Teresa. And she didn't even buy
> him a soda to go with it. Good people my ass.
>
> Moreover, she has earned this rancor by constantly
> exposing enormous and enormously unattractive parts
> of her personal life in anecdotes and here, despite frequent
> admonitions that if she doesn't like negative comments on
> her horrible behavior she should not.

None of us are purrfect dear. :-)

I guess I just see the good in Jill, just like I see the good in Sheldon.

Hell, I'm not perfect either!

Sure she has her issues.... but I've been posting here now for (iirc)
about 6 or 7 years. She was there for me when my mom died, when it
really counted.

Everybody has problems. I've learned over time not to post too many of
mine on usenet, but I had to learn it the hard way too. It's one MAJOR
reason I changed ID's. I'm still guilty of it at times (like mentioning
my upcoming mammogram...)

Most of my social life is lived on usenet, so maybe that makes me
overlook the negative aspects of many (not all) of the people I interact
with. <shrugs> I dunno.

She has a good heart and soul. That's all that matters to me. I don't
seek nor expect perfection in any fellow human.

As for bragging about good deeds, I'm guilty of that too! Read some of
my posts on tx.guns. I bragged all over the place about returning to
it's owner a rather valuable item I found left behind at the shooting
range one morning, but mainly because I thought it was a fun story, and
I wanted input from others there on where I stood legally.

Cheers babe! ;-)

BTW, no offense taken.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion.
Free speech is protected by the first amendment!

Let us pray that usenet is never, EVER censored!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.