Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Delicious Mom's Boiled Custard

On 2014-02-02 8:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> I don't use flour in the custard I make...

> I'll use cornstarch or cornflour or whatever the heck it's called for
> custard. As far as the recipe goes, it's a recipe alright - a recipe
> for disaster. It's got 2X the amount of sugar and who the heck adds
> beaten egg whites to a custard and then boils it? The sad fact is
> that many of the recipes on the internet are fake.

I fold beaten egg whites into simmering tapioca. It gives it a lighter
texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2014 5:13 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I fold beaten egg whites into simmering tapioca. It gives it a lighter
> texture.

I used to do that too. I did not add egg whites to a boiling mixture
though. I would remove the pudding from the heat and then beat and add
the egg whites. These days, I just stir the pudding while cooking with a
whisk to give it a lighter texture. It's a lot easier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2014 8:13 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-02-02 8:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> I'll use cornstarch or cornflour or whatever the heck it's called for
>> custard. As far as the recipe goes, it's a recipe alright - a recipe
>> for disaster. It's got 2X the amount of sugar and who the heck adds
>> beaten egg whites to a custard and then boils it? The sad fact is
>> that many of the recipes on the internet are fake.
>>

> I fold beaten egg whites into simmering tapioca. It gives it a lighter
> texture.

I used to do that, too, but after the pudding had been removed from the
heat. My family liked tapioca with either a tsp of instant coffee
stirred in while it was cooking, or a small can of drained crushed
pineapple. I haven't made it in a long time since it's now just the two
of us and we seldom eat dessert.

gloria p