Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default Delicious Mom's Boiled Custard

On 2/3/2014 8:13 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-02-02 8:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> I'll use cornstarch or cornflour or whatever the heck it's called for
>> custard. As far as the recipe goes, it's a recipe alright - a recipe
>> for disaster. It's got 2X the amount of sugar and who the heck adds
>> beaten egg whites to a custard and then boils it? The sad fact is
>> that many of the recipes on the internet are fake.
>>

> I fold beaten egg whites into simmering tapioca. It gives it a lighter
> texture.

I used to do that, too, but after the pudding had been removed from the
heat. My family liked tapioca with either a tsp of instant coffee
stirred in while it was cooking, or a small can of drained crushed
pineapple. I haven't made it in a long time since it's now just the two
of us and we seldom eat dessert.

gloria p