Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread etc

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> i just downloaded a book called:
>
> The Cornbread Bible
> A recipe Storybook
>
> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>
> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>
> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>
> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising
cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
cornmeal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> i just downloaded a book called:
>>
>> The Cornbread Bible
>> A recipe Storybook
>>
>> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>>
>> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>>
>> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>>
>> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
> plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup
> self-rising
> cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for
> self-rising
> cornmeal.

Thanks very much

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > i just downloaded a book called:
> >
> > The Cornbread Bible
> > A recipe Storybook
> >
> > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
> >
> > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
> >
> > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
> >
> > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
> plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising
> cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
> cornmeal.

Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
"smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

>> On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>> > i just downloaded a book called:
>> >
>> > The Cornbread Bible
>> > A recipe Storybook
>> >
>> > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>> >
>> > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>> >
>> > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>> >
>> > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>> > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to
>> > use?

>> I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
>> plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup
>> self-rising
>> cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for
>> self-rising
>> cornmeal.
>>

> Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have only
looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:33:46 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
> >
> >> I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
> >> cornmeal.
> >>

> > Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> > grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> > reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> > that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> > "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

> I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have only
> looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

I downloaded it because you mentioned it, but I've been "otherwise
occupied" today to now and haven't gotten any further.

BTW: The price for that Kindle book was " right", so I put it on my
cloud version of Kindle! Thank you for mentioning it. I am not good
about perusing the Kindle "deals" that come in daily.

Hope you still have that cornbread recipe I gave you, because it's
really delicious. I also have a cake recipe that calls for a
combination of cornmeal and flour, but I've ended up making something
else the last two times I thought I'd make it - so I can't vouch for
it yet.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:33:46 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
>> > grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
>> > reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
>> > that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
>> > "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

>> I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have
>> only
>> looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

> I downloaded it because you mentioned it, but I've been "otherwise
> occupied" today to now and haven't gotten any further.
>
> BTW: The price for that Kindle book was " right", so I put it on my
> cloud version of Kindle! Thank you for mentioning it. I am not good
> about perusing the Kindle "deals" that come in daily.
>
> Hope you still have that cornbread recipe I gave you, because it's
> really delicious. I also have a cake recipe that calls for a
> combination of cornmeal and flour, but I've ended up making something
> else the last two times I thought I'd make it - so I can't vouch for
> it yet.

I have all the recipes I was given. Ahh I just realise I saved them without
names If you have yours handy again please be so kind as to post it again
because I am not sure which one was yours

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:46:40 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I have all the recipes I was given. Ahh I just realise I saved them without
> names If you have yours handy again please be so kind as to post it again
> because I am not sure which one was yours

It's the Buttermilk Cornbread.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:46:40 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> I have all the recipes I was given. Ahh I just realise I saved them
>> without
>> names If you have yours handy again please be so kind as to post it
>> again
>> because I am not sure which one was yours

> It's the Buttermilk Cornbread.

Great, thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

> > On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> >
> > > i just downloaded a book called:
> > >
> > > The Cornbread Bible
> > > A recipe Storybook
> > >
> > > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
> > >
> > > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
> > >
> > > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
> > >
> > > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to
> > > use?

> > I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1
> > cup
> > plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup
> > self-rising
> > cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for
> > self-rising
> > cornmeal.
> >

> Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

I believe it is a "southern" thing, or at least regional. We have it here
in STL in some supermarkets, pretty much the same ones that have hock and
shanks and similar items. Though my grandmother never used it, preferring
coarse ground from the feed mill, self-rising cornmeal is what was sold in
my grandparents general store in 1950s Kentucky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:03:52 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
> >
> > > I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
> > > cornmeal.
> > >

> > Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> > grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> > reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> > that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> > "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

> I believe it is a "southern" thing, or at least regional. We have it here
> in STL in some supermarkets, pretty much the same ones that have hock and
> shanks and similar items. Though my grandmother never used it, preferring
> coarse ground from the feed mill, self-rising cornmeal is what was sold in
> my grandparents general store in 1950s Kentucky.

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated! STL (St. Louis) is
centrally located and seems to reflect a little bit of everywhere.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:20:08 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> > On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> > > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the

Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference and _always_ self-rising.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is
> available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference and
> _always_ self-rising.

I only know about the self raising stuff because of that book I mentioned.
I don't know what kind is in the supermarket so I will need to wait and see.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2014 5:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
>> Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is
>> available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference
>> and _always_ self-rising.

> I only know about the self raising stuff because of that book I
> mentioned. I don't know what kind is in the supermarket so I will need
> to wait and see.

That Quaker brand most likely won't be self-rising. I never use
self-rising cornmeal (or self-rising flour). There may be a recipe for
cornbread on the cannister of the Quaker brand, just another referance
for you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2014 5:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is
>>> available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference
>>> and _always_ self-rising.

>> I only know about the self raising stuff because of that book I
>> mentioned. I don't know what kind is in the supermarket so I will need
>> to wait and see.
>>

> That Quaker brand most likely won't be self-rising. I never use
> self-rising cornmeal (or self-rising flour). There may be a recipe for
> cornbread on the cannister of the Quaker brand, just another referance for
> you.

Good thinking Batwoman
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cornbread Pie Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 10-01-2007 10:13 PM
Cornbread Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 5 30-12-2006 07:14 AM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 07:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 06:01 PM
Cornbread - I wonder why? jmcquown General Cooking 74 29-08-2005 05:16 PM