Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super Bowl

I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
company for several days around the Super Bowl.

Nuts!

Any suggestions?

I do have pretzels and Chex mix in stock and plenty of beer.

I just have a brain freeze.

Chili?
Chili Dogs
Peel N eat shrimp?
Order In?

What are you doing?

Thanks

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
>I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>
> Nuts!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I do have pretzels and Chex mix in stock and plenty of beer.
>
> I just have a brain freeze.
>
> Chili?
> Chili Dogs
> Peel N eat shrimp?
> Order In?
>

> What are you doing?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dimitri

We don't do anything because daughter and I don't watch football. Husband
does but he may or may not be home.

I have made espinaca con queso for parties though. Always goes over well.
Serve with chips and vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2014 11:01 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
> company for several days around the Super Bowl.

> Any suggestions?

I like to serve hot hors d'oeuvres/appetizer type things. When we have
guests in for a big game it's also fun to ask everyone to bring their
own favorite hors d'oeuvres or appetizer things.

When our son was in high school the orchestra sold Super Bowl Subs for
their biggest annual fund raiser. 6" sub, chips, a soda and cookie.
Super Bowl really hasn't been the same since those years. It's amazing
how much we looked forward to Super Bowl Subs on Super Bowl Sunday. (-:

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:01:49 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>company for several days around the Super Bowl.

Thanks for reminding to add a new filter for 'super bowl'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:01:49 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>>company for several days around the Super Bowl.

> Thanks for reminding to add a new filter for 'super bowl'

Somebody should post a recipe for Velveeta. We should be able to make it at
home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 23:33:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:01:49 -0800, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>>>company for several days around the Super Bowl.

>> Thanks for reminding to add a new filter for 'super bowl'

>Somebody should post a recipe for Velveeta. We should be able to make it at
>home.

There are some recipes out the
http://www.amywilla.com/2011/12/make-your-own-velveeta/
http://www.grouprecipes.com/75953/ho...ta-cheese.html
http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...-copycat-87384

Not many ingredient required by the looks of it: gelatin, cheddar
cheese and powdered milk.

I was going to ask if Velveeta is similar to Philadelphia cheese
spread, but looking at the pics it doesn't appear to be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 23:33:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Thanks for reminding to add a new filter for 'super bowl'

>>Somebody should post a recipe for Velveeta. We should be able to make it
>>at
>>home.

> There are some recipes out the
> http://www.amywilla.com/2011/12/make-your-own-velveeta/
> http://www.grouprecipes.com/75953/ho...ta-cheese.html
> http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...-copycat-87384
>
> Not many ingredient required by the looks of it: gelatin, cheddar
> cheese and powdered milk.
>
> I was going to ask if Velveeta is similar to Philadelphia cheese
> spread, but looking at the pics it doesn't appear to be.

It's not but IMO, cream cheese tastes better for dips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message

>>Somebody should post a recipe for Velveeta. We should be able to make it
>>at
>>home.

> Take some cheddar cheese.
> Mill it VERY fine, while slowly adding cream.
>
> It will be LIKE Velveeta, but better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > I was going to ask if Velveeta is similar to Philadelphia cheese
> > spread, but looking at the pics it doesn't appear to be.

Velveeta is basically soft mild cheddar cheese.

> It's not but IMO, cream cheese tastes better for dips.

I like sour cream to make dips but I've never tried cream cheese.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 12:01 AM, Dimitri wrote:
> I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
> company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>
> Nuts!
>
> Any suggestions?

Sure. Put on a good movie and make some snacks. A long movie would be
good and then that football thing will be over and you can catch the 11
o'clock news

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-08, Dimitri > wrote:

> What are you doing?

Listening to A-B repeat of America's A Horse With No Name. Poking
wooden toothpicks into my eyeballs. Lighting my beard on fire.
Anything to avoid watching the stuporbowl.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>
>Nuts!

I'd have already informed them that this isn't a hotel/restaurant...
I'd have given them the phone number for the nearest Sheraton Motor
Lodge. I don't watch footbull anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dimitri > wrote:
>I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>
>Nuts!
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>I do have pretzels and Chex mix in stock and plenty of beer.
>
>I just have a brain freeze.
>
>Chili?
>Chili Dogs
>Peel N eat shrimp?
>Order In?
>

>What are you doing?

When is it? [quick google] Oh, Sunday, 2 Feb.

Not exactly sure what I'm doing. Laundry, housework,
maybe some sort of dinner. The usual.

We don't do sports, although if we surf through some curling,
we'll stop and watch. We also like lumberjack olympics,
and some of those absurd sports where big guys try to lift
a bus, and whatnot.

Note to self: check for Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Other Guy > wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:01:49 -0800, "Dimitri" >
>wrote:
>
>>I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>>company for several days around the Super Bowl.

>Well, NO nachos, obviously, as NO Velveeta!

Make your nachos with cheddar.

Personally, I use Kraft pepperjack for nachos.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2014 11:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Any suggestions?

> Foods that they would like.
>
> -sw

Dwarf in tagine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
> company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>
> Nuts!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I do have pretzels and Chex mix in stock and plenty of beer.
>
> I just have a brain freeze.
>
> Chili?
> Chili Dogs
> Peel N eat shrimp?
> Order In?
>

> What are you doing?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dimitri

A super bowl of Gulasch (the real thing) with rolls ?

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 12:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The Other Guy > wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:01:49 -0800, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>>> company for several days around the Super Bowl.

>> Well, NO nachos, obviously, as NO Velveeta!

> Make your nachos with cheddar.
>
> Personally, I use Kraft pepperjack for nachos.

I have seen those 'velveeta' nachos at ball games or at the
movies, but I didn't think that's what people usually used
at home. I use cheddar, myself. Doesn't make for a gooey
mess like the plastic cheese.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 11:28 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-01-08, Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> What are you doing?

> Listening to A-B repeat of America's A Horse With No Name. Poking
> wooden toothpicks into my eyeballs. Lighting my beard on fire.
> Anything to avoid watching the stuporbowl.

Get yourself ready to watch the Winter Olympics from Sochi. The Olympic
motto is "Higher, Faster, Stronger". There is no mention of "Daintyer"
as in points for form in ice dancing or gymmastics in the Summer Games.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We usually have a crowd of guests for a potluck. Our contributions are
the traditional items: chili and chicken wings (Buffalo and Miami
variants). This year, there's a good chance that our home team Seahawks
coud be in the dance. So we might need to put out a bowl of Skittles,
for good luck. Fot those not following NFL trivia, Skittles is the
secret fuel for Seattle's running back Marshawn Lynch.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-08, James Silverton > wrote:

> Get yourself ready to watch the Winter Olympics from Sochi.

I'd love to. Is anyone broadcasting them in their entirety? I know
the major networks will not. Haven't in 20 yrs. If there's no brand
name sponsorship, we'll never see it. Stuff like cross country
skiing, skeleton, two man women's bobsled, etc. I was shocked to see
biathlon, last time. First time in ages. Will it be internet
streaming from anyone. I'd actually pay $$$.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-08 7:01 PM, notbob wrote:

> I'd love to. Is anyone broadcasting them in their entirety? I know
> the major networks will not. Haven't in 20 yrs. If there's no brand
> name sponsorship, we'll never see it. Stuff like cross country
> skiing, skeleton, two man women's bobsled, etc. I was shocked to see
> biathlon, last time. First time in ages. Will it be internet
> streaming from anyone. I'd actually pay $$$.

Watching the last summer Olympics was a total waste of time. CBC was
carrying it here and what they ran was pretty much restricted to events
that Canadians were doing at the time. About 80% of air time seemed to
be devoted to commentators and their idiotic comments and interviews
with mainly Canadian athletes. Meanwhile, there are probably at least a
dozen events going on at any given time that would have been infinitely
more interesting than the comments and interviews. I spent some time
watching the American coverage and it was pretty much the same thing
expect it was American commentators and coverage of events the American
teams were in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2014 11:01 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
> company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>
> Nuts!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I do have pretzels and Chex mix in stock and plenty of beer.
>
> I just have a brain freeze.
>
> Chili?
> Chili Dogs
> Peel N eat shrimp?
> Order In?
>

> What are you doing?

Watching the game. Maybe make my special "Super Bowl Chili"

Just read their is a shortage of Velveeta. That can ruin some Super
Bowl parties. The only time I use Velveeta and jarred salsa is for
Super Bowl to make that wonderful dip.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:01:49 -0800, Dimitri wrote:
>
>> I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>> company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>>
>> Nuts!
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> Foods that they would like.
>
> -sw

Aye there's the rub.

She is in Weight watchers and will eat little or no snacks.
He had a severe concussion and has lost his senses of smell and taste.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 9:38 PM, Dimitri wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:01:49 -0800, Dimitri wrote:
>>
>>> I just double checked the date for the Super Bowl and discovered we have
>>> company for several days around the Super Bowl.
>>>
>>> Nuts!
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>> Foods that they would like.
>>
>> -sw

> Aye there's the rub.
>
> She is in Weight watchers and will eat little or no snacks.
> He had a severe concussion and has lost his senses of smell and taste.

Easy...... soda water and rice cakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 6:01 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-01-08, James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> Get yourself ready to watch the Winter Olympics from Sochi.

> I'd love to. Is anyone broadcasting them in their entirety? I know
> the major networks will not. Haven't in 20 yrs. If there's no brand
> name sponsorship, we'll never see it. Stuff like cross country
> skiing, skeleton, two man women's bobsled, etc. I was shocked to see
> biathlon, last time. First time in ages. Will it be internet
> streaming from anyone. I'd actually pay $$$.
>
> nb

I recently added Universal Sports to our DirecTV package so I can see
the Olympics. They're an NBC owned station so will be showing more
events than I expect to see on the regular NBC station(s).

NBC has broadcast the Olympics in the US for far too many years and I
think their coverage totally sucks. Way back when ABC's Wide World of
Sports covered the Olympics they did it in a way to cover as many sports
as possible. They also included human interest stories about athletes
we may never have heard of or seen and then covered their efforts in
their event. Who remember the ski jumper from Scandinavia (don't
remember the country) who was expected to come in dead last, but was out
there giving it his best? Made for a great story and made watching
their coverage heads and shoulders above anyone else's before or since.

What is "two man women's bobsled?" (-:

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 18:38:25 -0800, Dimitri wrote:

>>> Foods that they would like.

>> Aye there's the rub.
>>
>> She is in Weight watchers and will eat little or no snacks.
>> He had a severe concussion and has lost his senses of smell and taste.

> See? There's always a catch! These are kinda important factors for
> providing you useful suggestions :-)
>
> I have a friend with no smell and he is not picky about what he eats.
> If I had no taste or smell I have no idea what I'd like, if anything.
> The texture of a crispy fried chicken wing would be good, but without
> any taste I'm not sure texture would even matter.

We had some distant relative stop by once for a few days. He couldn't smell
or taste. He asked for hot sauce and we had none. He said that he liked
the burning sensation it left on his tongue. So until he could go get some,
he used an insane amount of black pepper. He said it did the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 9:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Just read their is a shortage of Velveeta. That can ruin some Super
> Bowl parties. The only time I use Velveeta and jarred salsa is for
> Super Bowl to make that wonderful dip.

I have to wonder if there really is a shortage. Or is this just good
viral marketing? They may have been overstocked and now it is depleted
and the $$$ are rolling in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-09, Dimitri > wrote:

> She is in Weight watchers and will eat little or no snacks.
> He had a severe concussion and has lost his senses of smell and taste.

Cardboard chips with library paste dip.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-09, Dave Smith > wrote:
> ..... and rice cakes.

I think I'd prefer the carboard chips.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 1/8/2014 9:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>

> > Just read their is a shortage of Velveeta. That can ruin some Super
> > Bowl parties. The only time I use Velveeta and jarred salsa is for
> > Super Bowl to make that wonderful dip.
> >

> I have to wonder if there really is a shortage.

I went to the grocery store this morning and looked. There's plenty of
Velvetta there. I also have a pack of the sliced version in my fridge
from two weeks ago.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-09, DreadfulBitch > wrote:

> Way back when ABC's Wide World of Sports covered the Olympics they
> did it in a way to cover as many sports as possible.

Yep. I saw my first coverage of Squaw Valley in '60.

> Who remember the ski jumper from Scandinavia (don't remember the
> country) who was expected to come in dead last, but was out there
> giving it his best?

I don't recall that particular guy, but how can we forget the guy that
made "agony of defeat" a household phrase, what with WWS milking it
fer 20 yrs.

> What is "two man women's bobsled?"

Mixed pairs? Hell, I don't know, but it's on the list of events.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2014-01-09, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > ..... and rice cakes.

> I think I'd prefer the carboard chips.
>
> nb

LOL! Rice cakes are like eating styrofoam disks. A little peanut
butter on them helps but they are pretty much worthless food to me.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:21:15 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

> Who remember the ski jumper from Scandinavia (don't
> remember the country) who was expected to come in dead last, but was out
> there giving it his best? Made for a great story and made watching
> their coverage heads and shoulders above anyone else's before or since.

I remember Eddie the Eagle, but he was British.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%...gle%22_Edwards

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-09 11:14 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:21:15 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> > wrote:
>
>> Who remember the ski jumper from Scandinavia (don't
>> remember the country) who was expected to come in dead last, but was out
>> there giving it his best? Made for a great story and made watching
>> their coverage heads and shoulders above anyone else's before or since.

> I remember Eddie the Eagle, but he was British.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%...gle%22_Edwards

Interesting that he somehow gained international celebrity by being a
loser. It highlighted one of the problems with some Olympic events.
People like Eddie were able to compete because he had no competition at
home. All he had to do was to be brave enough to go down that run and go
airborne.

There has been a controversy over women's ski jumping. Women ski
jumpers have been pushing for years to be allowed to compete. They even
took it to court for the Vancouver, arguing that it violated the Charter
of Rights and Freedoms because it was discriminatory. The IOC's
argument against a women's event is that there just aren't enough women
ski jumpers to make it a true competition. If you only have a couple
women in each of a couple countries all they have to do to make it to
the Olympics is to show up, and then the odds are that they will win a
medal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2014 11:46 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> There has been a controversy over women's ski jumping. Women ski
> jumpers have been pushing for years to be allowed to compete. They even
> took it to court for the Vancouver, arguing that it violated the Charter
> of Rights and Freedoms because it was discriminatory. The IOC's
> argument against a women's event is that there just aren't enough women
> ski jumpers to make it a true competition. If you only have a couple
> women in each of a couple countries all they have to do to make it to
> the Olympics is to show up, and then the odds are that they will win a
> medal.

I just saw a picture from 1967 where a woman dared to run in the
Boston marathon and one of the organizer was attacking her as she
was running. I don't know if he was trying to tear off her number
or what. Imagine that, women weren't allowed to run in marathons.
Women not allowed to run, therefore there weren't female marathoners.

I bet there will be a lot more women ski jumping if they have a chance
to go to the Olympics.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 11:56 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Frankly, I don't care what you're having. And I don't know what I'm
> having yet - so don't tell and don't ask.
>
> -sw

Hey Sqwerty, knock off the attention-whoring.