Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: older Super Tuscan for the Super Bowl

Betsy and Dave went to a piano recital by an old friend in city
yesterday, I was in charge of Superbowl dinner. I did Buffalo wings,
blue cheese and celery, sausage and lentil soup, pimenton cauliflower,
and guacamole. Leftover Riesling with the wings.

For Superbowl main wine, I thought about a Petit Cheval (hey, a little
horse is a colt, and it is a SAINT Emilion), but ended up going with a
SuperTuscan for the Superbowl. I didn't have especially high
expectations for the 1983 Avignonesi "Grifi." I believe this is equal
parts Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon, the Sangiovese is showing
more in this bottle. Ripe cherry fruit, forest floor, mushrooms,
leather. Betsy and Dave are both surprised when I tell them it's 27
years old. Solid fruit, holds well over length of game, maybe not very
long. But interesting and not particularly fragile, which is good
because I accidently have 2 more. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

Super Bowl Dimitri General Cooking 59 12-01-2014 04:33 AM
Super Bowl graham General Cooking 12 05-02-2013 09:55 PM
Super Bowl BBQ? tutall Barbecue 1 06-02-2011 05:00 AM
Super Bowl? Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 28 20-01-2008 05:55 PM