Posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

Default Discount Source for Well Aged Hard Cheese?

Can someone recommend a good discount source for hard cheeses aged about
three years? I want cheeses with most of the sugar and enzymes gone, which
aging surely does.

I'm not looking for the best cheese money can buy. A decent cheese in the
top 20% is fine, and price matters. A tiny handful of hard cheese aged 18
months at a local Safeway costs nearly $10, and I'm guessing there must be
wholesalers selling online that can do much better than that, probably
better quality as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W" > wrote in message
> Can someone recommend a good discount source for hard cheeses aged about
> three years? I want cheeses with most of the sugar and enzymes gone,
> which
> aging surely does.
>
> I'm not looking for the best cheese money can buy. A decent cheese in
> the
> top 20% is fine, and price matters. A tiny handful of hard cheese aged
> 18
> months at a local Safeway costs nearly $10, and I'm guessing there must be
> wholesalers selling online that can do much better than that, probably
> better quality as well.

Do you have a Costco near you? If not, they do sell come cheeses online but
I think currently they only have assortments which likely would have things
you don't want. You might also try Smart and Final/Cash and Carry or
whatever restaurant supply you have nearby. You will have to buy a lot at
once though. I have not looked for such cheeses at those places and have
only bought cheddar but they may well have it.

You won't save money by buying cheese online in most cases because you'll
pay a lot for shipping which will likely include some sort of cold pack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 21:07:13 -0800, W wrote:
>
>> Can someone recommend a good discount source for hard cheeses aged about
>> three years?

> You mustuve bumped your head.

We have some purported newcomers to the diabetes NG saying/asked what I
think are odd things and I think this is one of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W" wrote:

>Can someone recommend a good discount source for hard cheeses aged about
>three years?

Find a homeless guy who hasn't bathed for three years (should be easy)
and for a cheap bottle of muscatel he'd let you slurp the crusty curds
from under his foreskin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/13 12:07 AM, W wrote:
> Can someone recommend a good discount source for hard cheeses aged about
> three years? I want cheeses with most of the sugar and enzymes gone, which
> aging surely does.
>
> I'm not looking for the best cheese money can buy. A decent cheese in the
> top 20% is fine, and price matters....

"Top 20% " is subjective, and thus meaningless. Ditto "best cheese money
can buy." IMO, there is no "decent" cheese in the top 20% -- they're all
exceptional. That's *why* they're the top 20%.

The only cheeses I know of that are aged for three years and readily
available are fine cheddars (especially Canadian) and aged Goudas
(overjarige). Among reputable and reliable producers and distributors,
neither is ever discounted.

Assuming you're in the US, for reference, you might check the offerings
from Artisanal and Murray's in New York. They may be the finest cheese
shops in the country. Compare their offerings to your best local source.
But if price matters, you won't be buying from them.

If you want real sticker shock, you could also check out Barthelemy,
Alleosse, Dubois, and Androuet in Paris. 8

-- Larry

Source for Aged Sumatra Green Coffee Beans? Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 23 11-02-2014 06:36 PM
Cutting Hard Cheese W General Cooking 36 26-12-2013 06:53 PM
Aged Goat Milk Cheese - like a blue cheese Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 0 29-08-2013 10:11 PM
What to do with leftover aged gouda cheese htn963[_2_] General Cooking 28 18-01-2009 06:48 PM
Source of Colby Cheese around Sacramento, CA DRB General Cooking 11 11-10-2003 08:11 PM