DRB

Default Source of Colby Cheese around Sacramento, CA

As long as we're on milk/dairy products, I was wondering if any of you knew
if any stores that carried Colby cheese (brick style or in the deli) in or
around Sacramento. Between Sac and Vacaville, or Woodland preferably. I
wouldn't mind going to the city itself. I need it for a casserole, for
which cheddar does not work flavor wise as a substitute. I have been unable
to find it in the town I'm in, despite looking at 4 grocery stores. It's a
big frustrating, as I thought colby was a standard as far as cheese. Plenty
of colby jack, but no plain colby.

DRB > wrote:
> As long as we're on milk/dairy products, I was wondering if any of you knew
> if any stores that carried Colby cheese (brick style or in the deli) in or
> around Sacramento. Between Sac and Vacaville, or Woodland preferably. I
> wouldn't mind going to the city itself. I need it for a casserole, for
> which cheddar does not work flavor wise as a substitute. I have been unable
> to find it in the town I'm in, despite looking at 4 grocery stores. It's a
> big frustrating, as I thought colby was a standard as far as cheese. Plenty
> of colby jack, but no plain colby.

Really? Are you sure your local supermarket doesn't stock Colby? Here in NJ,
I would be hard pressed to find a supermarket that didn't have Colby. If
you can't find it, just substitute mild cheddar in your recipe and it should
work out quite well.

Karen O'Mara

"DRB" > wrote in message .com>...
> As long as we're on milk/dairy products, I was wondering if any of you knew
> if any stores that carried Colby cheese (brick style or in the deli) in or
> around Sacramento. Between Sac and Vacaville, or Woodland preferably. I
> wouldn't mind going to the city itself. I need it for a casserole, for
> which cheddar does not work flavor wise as a substitute. I have been unable
> to find it in the town I'm in, despite looking at 4 grocery stores. It's a
> big frustrating, as I thought colby was a standard as far as cheese. Plenty
> of colby jack, but no plain colby.

Corti Bros. will have any cheese under the sun...

Karen
DRB

> wrote in message ...
> DRB > wrote:
> Really? Are you sure your local supermarket doesn't stock Colby? Here in

NJ,
> I would be hard pressed to find a supermarket that didn't have Colby. If
> you can't find it, just substitute mild cheddar in your recipe and it

should
> work out quite well.

I am really sure they don't stock it... I'm totally baffled. Even the
grocery store in my tiny hometown in Kentucky carries colby!

DRB

Christine Dabney

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:59:35 GMT, "DRB" > wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>> DRB > wrote:
>> Really? Are you sure your local supermarket doesn't stock Colby? Here in

>NJ,
>> I would be hard pressed to find a supermarket that didn't have Colby. If
>> you can't find it, just substitute mild cheddar in your recipe and it

>should
>> work out quite well.
>>

>I am really sure they don't stock it... I'm totally baffled. Even the
>grocery store in my tiny hometown in Kentucky carries colby!
>
>DRB

I am in Sacramento for the week. I just saw some yesterday at one of
the Mexican markets. Try those. And I am sure I have seen it at
other markets this week.

Christine

sf

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:26:59 GMT, "DRB" >
wrote:

> As long as we're on milk/dairy products, I was wondering if any of you knew
> if any stores that carried Colby cheese (brick style or in the deli) in or
> around Sacramento. Between Sac and Vacaville, or Woodland preferably. I
> wouldn't mind going to the city itself. I need it for a casserole, for
> which cheddar does not work flavor wise as a substitute. I have been unable
> to find it in the town I'm in, despite looking at 4 grocery stores. It's a
> big frustrating, as I thought colby was a standard as far as cheese. Plenty
> of colby jack, but no plain colby.

Safeway should carry it.

DRB

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:26:59 GMT, "DRB" >
> wrote:
>
> > As long as we're on milk/dairy products, I was wondering if any of you

knew
> > if any stores that carried Colby cheese (brick style or in the deli) in

or
> > around Sacramento. Between Sac and Vacaville, or Woodland preferably.

> > wouldn't mind going to the city itself. I need it for a casserole, for
> > which cheddar does not work flavor wise as a substitute. I have been

unable
> > to find it in the town I'm in, despite looking at 4 grocery stores.

It's a
> > big frustrating, as I thought colby was a standard as far as cheese.

Plenty
> > of colby jack, but no plain colby.
> >

> Safeway should carry it.

But they don't... I've checked both of them in town, multiple times....

sf

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 04:30:05 GMT, "DRB" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:26:59 GMT, "DRB" >
> > wrote:

> > > of colby jack, but no plain colby.
> > >

> > Safeway should carry it.
> >

> But they don't... I've checked both of them in town, multiple times....

Sacramento has more than two Safeways! Are you looking for
Wisconsin Colby or will California do for you?
DRB

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 04:30:05 GMT, "DRB" >
> wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message

> > > Safeway should carry it.
> > >

> > But they don't... I've checked both of them in town, multiple times....
> >

> Sacramento has more than two Safeways! Are you looking for
> Wisconsin Colby or will California do for you?

I'm not actually in Sac itself. I'm in Davis. Davis only has two Safeways.

sf

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 06:34:53 GMT, "DRB" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 04:30:05 GMT, "DRB" >
> > wrote:

> > > But they don't... I've checked both of them in town, multiple times....
> > >

> > Sacramento has more than two Safeways! Are you looking for
> > Wisconsin Colby or will California do for you?

> I'm not actually in Sac itself. I'm in Davis. Davis only has two Safeways.

My niece works in Sacramento and lives in Vaccaville (10
minutes South of Davis by freeway). I'll ask her to look
around for you when she's out shopping.

In the mean time, have you ever tried the "sharp" cheddar
brick in that red packaging? It's actually quite mild and
soft, so it will be a decent substitute until you find a
brick of Colby.

Have you tried searching at Sam's Club, CostCo and all the
other stores like them in your area? Heck, try Smart &
Final, you never know - they might carry it!

DRB

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 06:34:53 GMT, "DRB" >
> wrote:
> My niece works in Sacramento and lives in Vaccaville (10
> minutes South of Davis by freeway). I'll ask her to look
> around for you when she's out shopping.

Thanks

> In the mean time, have you ever tried the "sharp" cheddar
> brick in that red packaging? It's actually quite mild and
> soft, so it will be a decent substitute until you find a
> brick of Colby.

I have tried the cheddar in the recipie, and it didn't taste the same as the
same recipie made with colby (which I had when Mom made it when I was back
home for a few weeks during the summer.

> Have you tried searching at Sam's Club, CostCo and all the
> other stores like them in your area? Heck, try Smart &
> Final, you never know - they might carry it!

I don't have memberships to Sam's or Costco, so I haven't looked. I might
try Smart and Final though.

sf

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:50:48 GMT, "DRB" >
wrote:

> I don't have memberships to Sam's or Costco, so I haven't looked. I might
> try Smart and Final though.

I don't remember the name, but there is a Sam's Club clone
in Vacaville (near the mall area) that doesn't require
membership.