Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default word repetitions that name food

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On 31 Dec 2013 00:16:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 26 Dec 2013 03:13:12p, sf told us...

>>> Not food related, but over the past year I've noticed that when you ask
>>> someone how they are, many reply "good, good". I don't know where that
>>> came from and find it rather strange.

>> In California, it's "I'm fine". Good is in response to questions
>> about you want more of whatever it is, a drink or food. If you don't
>> want any more, you say: I'm good. I've always assumed it's short for
>> "good to go", but who knows for sure?
>>

> Not related but the first time someone said "My bad!" to me, I had to
> question what their native language was. They were actually a native
> American but just out of high school. He just laughed and said it was
> kidspeak.

Ahh so that is where it came from. I've never heard it anywhere but here!
I thought they were saying they were bad!
So, kidspeak eh???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On 31 Dec 2013 00:16:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> In California, it's "I'm fine". Good is in response to questions
>>> about you want more of whatever it is, a drink or food. If you don't
>>> want any more, you say: I'm good. I've always assumed it's short for
>>> "good to go", but who knows for sure?
>>>

>> Not related but the first time someone said "My bad!" to me, I had to
>> question what their native language was. They were actually a native
>> American but just out of high school. He just laughed and said it was
>> kidspeak.

> Ahh so that is where it came from. I've never heard it anywhere but here!
> I thought they were saying they were bad!
> So, kidspeak eh???

Apparently. And teens are now shortening words. "Tote" for totally.
"Jelly" for jealous. Stuff like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Not related but the first time someone said "My bad!" to me, I had to
>>> question what their native language was. They were actually a native
>>> American but just out of high school. He just laughed and said it was
>>> kidspeak.

>> Ahh so that is where it came from. I've never heard it anywhere but
>> here! I thought they were saying they were bad!
>> So, kidspeak eh???

> Apparently. And teens are now shortening words. "Tote" for totally.
> "Jelly" for jealous. Stuff like that.

I guess we will get it here soon enough

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 21:32:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Not related but the first time someone said "My bad!" to me, I had to
> question what their native language was. They were actually a native
> American but just out of high school. He just laughed and said it was
> kidspeak.

Some athlete used to say it and they picked it up.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:25:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >

> > Apparently. And teens are now shortening words. "Tote" for totally.
> > "Jelly" for jealous. Stuff like that.

> I guess we will get it here soon enough

Australians do that - but they tone it down here because we don't
understand them when they're into full on Ozzie speak. The only one I
can think of off the top of my head is "chook" for chicken - but I see
that Rachael Ray adopted her term, "sammie", from Australian slang.
http://alldownunder.com/australian-slang/

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2013 10:51 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:20:19 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> We have double doubles down here too and you're right, it's refers to
>>> two different ingredients.
>>>

>> Kindly explain what double-double means. I'm not familiar.
>>

> A double double is two burgers with a slice of cheese on each of
> them.: double burger, double cheese (stacked: burger-cheese,
> burger-cheese).

Got it, thanks!

> Think: In N Out... which hasn't made it back to the East Coast yet
> (and I hope it never does because you know the negative effect going
> National will do to a product).

Lack of consistency, for sure!

> You have no idea how good Bruce Aidells Andouille sausage was like
> before it went National (I think it was bought out, but that doesn't
> excuse how they changed Andouille). I can't even recognize it now.

I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't bought andouille for a while. Next
time I'm at Publix I'll check to see what brands they carry.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:25:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > Apparently. And teens are now shortening words. "Tote" for totally.
>> > "Jelly" for jealous. Stuff like that.

>> I guess we will get it here soon enough

> Australians do that - but they tone it down here because we don't
> understand them when they're into full on Ozzie speak. The only one I
> can think of off the top of my head is "chook" for chicken - but I see
> that Rachael Ray adopted her term, "sammie", from Australian slang.
> http://alldownunder.com/australian-slang/

Oh we talk about chooks too and we have sarnies instad of sammies

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2013 7:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>

>> Not related but the first time someone said "My bad!" to me, I had to
>> question what their native language was. They were actually a native
>> American but just out of high school. He just laughed and said it was
>> kidspeak.

> Ahh so that is where it came from. I've never heard it anywhere but
> here! I thought they were saying they were bad!
> So, kidspeak eh???

Yes. It's a way of saying "my mistake".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/31/2013 7:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> Not related but the first time someone said "My bad!" to me, I had to
>>> question what their native language was. They were actually a native
>>> American but just out of high school. He just laughed and said it was
>>> kidspeak.

>> Ahh so that is where it came from. I've never heard it anywhere but
>> here! I thought they were saying they were bad!
>> So, kidspeak eh???
>>

> Yes. It's a way of saying "my mistake".

It always sounds as though the sentence is not finished. My bad .... what?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2013 10:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Ahh so that is where it came from. I've never heard it anywhere but
>>> here! I thought they were saying they were bad!
>>> So, kidspeak eh???
>>>

>> Yes. It's a way of saying "my mistake".

> It always sounds as though the sentence is not finished. My bad .... what?

I know! My bad... dog? ... hairdo? It sounds pretty silly.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:08:54 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/30/2013 10:51 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > you know the negative effect going
> > National will do to a product).
> >

> Lack of consistency, for sure!

The components are always cheapened and any flavor the original
product had disappears, IMO.

> > You have no idea how good Bruce Aidells Andouille sausage was like
> > before it went National (I think it was bought out, but that doesn't
> > excuse how they changed Andouille). I can't even recognize it now.
> >

> I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't bought andouille for a while. Next
> time I'm at Publix I'll check to see what brands they carry.

At least you stand a better chance than I do of finding a good
andouille in the butcher case than I do... for no other reason than
pure proximity. We have a much beloved (by the folks in a local ng)
butcher shop on the peninsula that I never made visited before their
big fire, move and rebuild... they make their own sausages, but I was
disappointed by their andouille too. If I'd liked it, I would have
had a reason to return - but I didn't, so I haven't.

It turns out that the local Italian deli has a decent looking
andouille in their case with all the other sausages, so I bought it -
but it's still sitting in my freezer untried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/31/2013 10:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Yes. It's a way of saying "my mistake".

>> It always sounds as though the sentence is not finished. My bad ....
>> what?

> I know! My bad... dog? ... hairdo? It sounds pretty silly.

Exactly .. LOL
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-31 05:00:44 +0000, sf said:

> On 31 Dec 2013 00:16:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu 26 Dec 2013 03:13:12p, sf told us...
>>

>>> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend
>>> to use a foreign word along with the English word for something
>>> when trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A
>>> famous one is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a
>>> blogger call plain white/button mushrooms from the grocery store
>>> Champignon Mushrooms. Can you think of any other examples? I'm
>>> blanking, but I know there are more.
>>>

>> Not food related, but over the past year I've noticed that when you ask
>> someone how they are, many reply "good, good". I don't know where that
>> came from and find it rather strange.

> In California, it's "I'm fine". Good is in response to questions
> about you want more of whatever it is, a drink or food. If you don't
> want any more, you say: I'm good. I've always assumed it's short for
> "good to go", but who knows for sure?

I always though it was a subject- and verb-truncated sentece: "[I'm
doing] good."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:25:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > Apparently. And teens are now shortening words. "Tote" for totally.
>> > "Jelly" for jealous. Stuff like that.

>> I guess we will get it here soon enough

> Australians do that - but they tone it down here because we don't
> understand them when they're into full on Ozzie speak. The only one I
> can think of off the top of my head is "chook" for chicken - but I see
> that Rachael Ray adopted her term, "sammie", from Australian slang.
> http://alldownunder.com/australian-slang/

The ones that got me were bickie (biscuit), Chrimbo (Christmas) and prezzies
(presents).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:47:39 -0600, barbie gee >
wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Hench wrote:
>
> > On 12/26/2013 5:13 PM, sf wrote:
> >>
> >> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> >> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> >> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> >> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> >> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> >> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> >> are more.
> >>

> > Double-Double is famous in Canada but it's not actually repetitive....
> >

> someone else noted already "au jus sauce" or "au jus gravy".
>
> We were at TGI Friday's a few weeks ago, and their menu revealed these
> redundant gems:
>
> Spinach Florentine Flatbread
> White Cheddar Spicy Beef Queso
> Grilled Salmon with Langostino Lobster

Thank you! That's exactly what I was talking about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 10:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Yes. It's a way of saying "my mistake".

>> It always sounds as though the sentence is not finished. My bad ....
>> what?

> I know! My bad... dog? ... hairdo? It sounds pretty silly.
>
> Jill

Yup. You have really bad hair - or what is left of it.

<(<(<(<(<(<( FOOD IMPORTANCE ABOUT HEALTH <(<(<(<( visit---clickblue word on top my web site----- silo Diabetic 0 26-12-2008 07:36 AM
ok, word problem :) Tater Winemaking 15 01-04-2007 11:11 AM
OT Word Fun Michael Odom General Cooking 37 20-02-2005 08:42 AM
English<>Spanish food word translator Rolly Mexican Cooking 0 15-08-2004 08:48 PM
The "A" word Jim Lane Mexican Cooking 26 14-04-2004 07:56 AM