Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default word repetitions that name food

Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
are more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tuna fish

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> are more.

Sweet and sour aubergine, for eggplant.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:54:57 PM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to

> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when

> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one

> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain

> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.

> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there

> > are more.

> Sweet and sour aubergine, for eggplant.

Italian spaghetti.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:13:12 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
>
> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
>
> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
>
> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
>
> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
>
> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
>
> are more.
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Not food related, but why do so many preachers love that redundancy "widow woman"?

PIN number gets me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> are more.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

duck ala orange
steak au poivre
potatoes cauliflower broccoli whatever au gratin
beef bourgignone
turkey escalope
chicken dijon
crab st. jacques
crab louis
seafood gumbo (it's acadian)
coffee diablo
steak flambe
....others, of course, please pardon my misspellings

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
>> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
>> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
>> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
>> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
>> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
>> are more.
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> duck ala orange
> steak au poivre
> potatoes cauliflower broccoli whatever au gratin
> beef bourgignone
> turkey escalope
> chicken dijon
> crab st. jacques
> crab louis
> seafood gumbo (it's acadian)
> coffee diablo
> steak flambe
> ...others, of course, please pardon my misspellings
>
> pavane

The one that baffles me is peeled/unpeeled. A banana peeled? easy enough.
An apple unpeeled. Got that. But. Sometimes a recipe will call for shrimp
unpeeled. Do they mean peel the shrimp and make them unpeeled. Or leave
them alone and leave the shell on? ( NOT peeled) Just in case in you
imagine you know ... you have to know the cook. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:v3apb9lovjjaumgqhulm7dm7cmkg6rdqkr@
4ax.com:

> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> are more.

panini sandwich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2013 9:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> PIN number gets me too.

And ATM machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/26/2013 9:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> PIN number gets me too.
>>

> And ATM machine.

I always call that a cash machine and everyone but family members gives me a
blank stare when I do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John J" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:17:17 -0500, "pavane" > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
>>> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
>>> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
>>> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
>>> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
>>> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
>>> are more.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>>duck ala orange

> An orange is not a duck etc.

All of those other things escaped me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 3.30...
> sf > wrote in news:v3apb9lovjjaumgqhulm7dm7cmkg6rdqkr@
> 4ax.com:
>

>> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
>> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
>> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
>> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
>> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
>> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
>> are more.
>>

> panini sandwich

yes Just the one too

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/26/2013 9:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> PIN number gets me too.
>>

> And ATM machine.

lol yes!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:17:17 PM UTC-5, pavane wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to

> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when

> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one

> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain

> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.

> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there

> > are more.

> > --

> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> duck ala orange
>
> steak au poivre
>
> potatoes cauliflower broccoli whatever au gratin
>
> beef bourgignone
>
> turkey escalope
>
> chicken dijon
>
> crab st. jacques
>
> crab louis
>
> seafood gumbo (it's acadian)
>
> coffee diablo
>
> steak flambe

Huh? Somehow, I don't see the redundancy. Please elaborate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:58:18 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Not food related, but why do so many preachers love that redundancy "widow woman"?

Do they call men widows too?

> PIN number gets me too.

I think that harkens from the days when most people were unfamiliar
with PINs, so the gentle reminder was to say "number" rather than
explain what it is for the millionth time. I don't hear that
redundancy anymore, so maybe the people who live in your area are at
the other end of the learning curve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 07:25:17 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 12/26/2013 9:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > PIN number gets me too.
> >

> And ATM machine.

Again, said by people who have no idea what ATM stands for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:17:17 -0500, "pavane" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> > are more.
> >

> duck ala orange
> steak au poivre
> potatoes cauliflower broccoli whatever au gratin
> beef bourgignone
> turkey escalope
> chicken dijon
> crab st. jacques
> crab louis
> seafood gumbo (it's acadian)
> coffee diablo
> steak flambe
> ...others, of course, please pardon my misspellings

Thanks, but I don't see a repeated word in anything listed above. My
point is that people are saying "mushroom mushrooms" when they say
champignon mushrooms and "shrimp shrimp" when they say shrimp scampi.

I'm debating whether or not "pizza pie" is redundant or not and think
it all depends on which definition of pizza is used. Is it a pie or
is it a flat bread?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:23:15 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Sometimes a recipe will call for shrimp
> unpeeled. Do they mean peel the shrimp and make them unpeeled. Or leave
> them alone and leave the shell on? ( NOT peeled) Just in case in you
> imagine you know ... you have to know the cook. Polly

It means leave the shell on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 02:30:47 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

> sf > wrote in news:v3apb9lovjjaumgqhulm7dm7cmkg6rdqkr@
> 4ax.com:
>

> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> > are more.
> >

> panini sandwich

Thanks! I haven't heard that one in a long time either. I guess we
do it to Italian food more often. You've got me thinking now...
didn't we used to say "ravioli noodles"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 17:54:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> > are more.
> >

> Sweet and sour aubergine, for eggplant.

They never say Eggplant Augergine or maybe Zucchini Courgettes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 27, 2013 10:10:00 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:58:18 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
>

> > Not food related, but why do so many preachers love that redundancy "widow woman"?

> Do they call men widows too?

As far as I know, there is no parable dealing with widowers. : ))

> > PIN number gets me too.

> I think that harkens from the days when most people were unfamiliar
>
> with PINs, so the gentle reminder was to say "number" rather than
>
> explain what it is for the millionth time. I don't hear that
>
> redundancy anymore, so maybe the people who live in your area are at
>
> the other end of the learning curve.

"What's a bank account?" Sad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 07:25:17 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 12/26/2013 9:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> > PIN number gets me too.
>> >

>> And ATM machine.

> Again, said by people who have no idea what ATM stands for.

Really? There are people who don't know what ATM stands for? Well, maybe
people who don't use them. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:23:15 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>> Sometimes a recipe will call for shrimp
>> unpeeled. Do they mean peel the shrimp and make them unpeeled. Or leave
>> them alone and leave the shell on? ( NOT peeled) Just in case in you
>> imagine you know ... you have to know the cook. Polly

> It means leave the shell on.

It means leave the shell on to me too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 17:54:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
>> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
>> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
>> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
>> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
>> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
>> > are more.
>> >

>> Sweet and sour aubergine, for eggplant.
>>

> They never say Eggplant Augergine or maybe Zucchini Courgettes?

Yes, they do.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:37:28 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 07:25:17 -0500, S Viemeister
> > > wrote:

> >> And ATM machine.

> > Again, said by people who have no idea what ATM stands for.

> Really? There are people who don't know what ATM stands for? Well, maybe
> people who don't use them. LOL

If they don't use them, why should they.

You can't be *that* young. I heard ATM *machine* as much as I heard
PIN *number* back when they first came out because people weren't
genius's who automatically remembered everything the first time it was
heard. Kalmia works with people who barely have two nickels to rub
together. You can do the math and figure out if they would use an ATM
or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:37:28 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 07:25:17 -0500, S Viemeister

>> > Again, said by people who have no idea what ATM stands for.

>> Really? There are people who don't know what ATM stands for? Well, maybe
>> people who don't use them. LOL

> If they don't use them, why should they.
>>

> You can't be *that* young. I heard ATM *machine* as much as I heard
> PIN *number* back when they first came out because people weren't
> genius's who automatically remembered everything the first time it was
> heard. Kalmia works with people who barely have two nickels to rub
> together. You can do the math and figure out if they would use an ATM
> or not.

Actually, there are a lot of things that I don't use like Twitter, Facebook,
etc., but I still know what the term Tweet means...and I'm sure that even
people who don't have "two nickels to rub together" still know what an ATM
is, or are you saying that if they don't have "two nickels to rub together,"
they're somehow mentally unaware? BTW, a whole lot of people who know what
ATM means, still say ATM machine. So what?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:42:48 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 17:54:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> >> Sweet and sour aubergine, for eggplant.
> >>

> > They never say Eggplant Augergine or maybe Zucchini Courgettes?

> Yes, they do.

Ouch!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:42:48 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > They never say Eggplant Augergine or maybe Zucchini Courgettes?

>> Yes, they do.
>>

> Ouch!

People will use whatever they have grown up with or is used around them.
Don't mean they are stupid, they just say what is easily understood.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-26 22:13:12 +0000, sf said:

> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> are more.

The "soup du jour of the day" has always been my favorite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-27 17:37:28 +0000, Cheri said:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 07:25:17 -0500, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> And ATM machine.

>> Again, said by people who have no idea what ATM stands for.

> Really? There are people who don't know what ATM stands for? Well,
> maybe people who don't use them. LOL

I'm not sure why they would, at this point some people have never
addressed a teller personally or only once or twice in their whole
life. I remember back when you would *know* 3 of them at the same bank.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-27 15:19:56 +0000, sf said:

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:17:17 -0500, "pavane" > wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
>>> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
>>> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
>>> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
>>> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
>>> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
>>> are more.
>>>

>> duck ala orange
>> steak au poivre
>> potatoes cauliflower broccoli whatever au gratin
>> beef bourgignone
>> turkey escalope
>> chicken dijon
>> crab st. jacques
>> crab louis
>> seafood gumbo (it's acadian)
>> coffee diablo
>> steak flambe
>> ...others, of course, please pardon my misspellings
>>

> Thanks, but I don't see a repeated word in anything listed above.

I think the phrase "a foreign word along with the English word for
something when
trying to transform the ordinary into something special" was all that
was addressed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122710111620202-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-12-26 22:13:12 +0000, sf said:
>
>> Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
>> use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
>> trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
>> is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
>> white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
>> Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
>> are more.

> The "soup du jour of the day" has always been my favorite.

lol I've never come across that one

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:56:11 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:37:28 -0800, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> >> Really? There are people who don't know what ATM stands for? Well, maybe
> >> people who don't use them. LOL

> > If they don't use them, why should they.
> >>

> > You can't be *that* young. I heard ATM *machine* as much as I heard
> > PIN *number* back when they first came out because people weren't
> > genius's who automatically remembered everything the first time it was
> > heard. Kalmia works with people who barely have two nickels to rub
> > together. You can do the math and figure out if they would use an ATM
> > or not.

> Actually, there are a lot of things that I don't use like Twitter, Facebook,
> etc., but I still know what the term Tweet means...and I'm sure that even
> people who don't have "two nickels to rub together" still know what an ATM
> is, or are you saying that if they don't have "two nickels to rub together,"
> they're somehow mentally unaware? BTW, a whole lot of people who know what
> ATM means, still say ATM machine. So what?

You're the one making an issue out of it, not me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:11:16 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2013-12-26 22:13:12 +0000, sf said:
>
> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to
> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when
> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one
> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain
> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.
> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there
> > are more.

> The "soup du jour of the day" has always been my favorite.

LOL This is the first time I've heard that one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:17:17 PM UTC-5, pavane wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Since almost all Americans have come from somewhere else, we tend to

>> > use a foreign word along with the English word for something when

>> > trying to transform the ordinary into something special. A famous one

>> > is a recipe we call Shrimp scampi and I just read a blogger call plain

>> > white/button mushrooms from the grocery store Champignon Mushrooms.

>> > Can you think of any other examples? I'm blanking, but I know there

>> > are more.

>> > --

>> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>> duck ala orange
>>
>> steak au poivre
>>
>> potatoes cauliflower broccoli whatever au gratin
>>
>> beef bourgignone
>>
>> turkey escalope
>>
>> chicken dijon
>>
>> crab st. jacques
>>
>> crab louis
>>
>> seafood gumbo (it's acadian)
>>
>> coffee diablo
>>
>> steak flambe
>>

> Huh? Somehow, I don't see the redundancy. Please elaborate.

I believe that I may have been on a different page.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:39:56 -0500, "pavane" > wrote:

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> >
> > Huh? Somehow, I don't see the redundancy. Please elaborate.

> I believe that I may have been on a different page.

LOL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/13 7:25 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/26/2013 9:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> PIN number gets me too.
>>

> And ATM machine.

My favorite from TV is "MLB baseball."

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:15:42 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2013-12-27 15:19:56 +0000, sf said:

> >> duck ala orange
> >> steak au poivre
> >> potatoes cauliflower broccoli whatever au gratin
> >> beef bourgignone
> >> turkey escalope
> >> chicken dijon
> >> crab st. jacques
> >> crab louis
> >> seafood gumbo (it's acadian)
> >> coffee diablo
> >> steak flambe
> >> ...others, of course, please pardon my misspellings
> >>

> > Thanks, but I don't see a repeated word in anything listed above.

> I think the phrase "a foreign word along with the English word for
> something when
> trying to transform the ordinary into something special" was all that
> was addressed.

OIC.

<(<(<(<(<(<( FOOD IMPORTANCE ABOUT HEALTH <(<(<(<( visit---clickblue word on top my web site----- silo Diabetic 0 26-12-2008 07:36 AM
ok, word problem :) Tater Winemaking 15 01-04-2007 11:11 AM
OT Word Fun Michael Odom General Cooking 37 20-02-2005 08:42 AM
English<>Spanish food word translator Rolly Mexican Cooking 0 15-08-2004 08:48 PM
The "A" word Jim Lane Mexican Cooking 26 14-04-2004 07:56 AM