Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacon and water

Some of the commercial large packing house bacon has lots of water in it.
How do they get away with that? When I purchase bacon, I now go to the small packers at the local farmers market. I've never had bacon from there that had any significant amount of water come out during the cooking process. It's leaner than most store bought bacon, and some people would like it more fatty. I don't have a problem with it being leaner. It usually sells for around $4.49 - $5.00 per pound. Not exactly sale prices, but acceptable. Sometimes it's available for $3.99.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-10 5:47 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> Some of the commercial large packing house bacon has lots of water in
> it. How do they get away with that? When I purchase bacon, I now go
> to the small packers at the local farmers market. I've never had
> bacon from there that had any significant amount of water come out
> during the cooking process. It's leaner than most store bought
> bacon, and some people would like it more fatty. I don't have a
> problem with it being leaner. It usually sells for around $4.49 -
> $5.00 per pound. Not exactly sale prices, but acceptable. Sometimes
> it's available for $3.99.

I get my bacon from the local Dutch butcher. He smokes his own. There
are no liquids and artificial flavours injected. When I fry his bacon
there is slight shrinkage as the fat is rendered. It is not like the
supermarket bacon that shrinks as the injected water evaporates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:47:28 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>Some of the commercial large packing house bacon has lots of water in it.
>How do they get away with that? When I purchase bacon, I now go to the small packers at the local farmers market. I've never had bacon from there that had any significant amount of water come out during the cooking process. It's leaner than most store bought bacon, and some people would like it more fatty. I don't have a problem with it being leaner. It usually sells for around $4.49 - $5.00 per pound. Not exactly sale prices, but acceptable. Sometimes it's available for $3.99.

Water is cheap and heavy. 8lbs a gallon, 69 lbs a cu-ft! When you are
selling per lb, adding water jacks up your profits a LOT!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-10 5:47 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> Some of the commercial large packing house bacon has lots of water in
>> it. How do they get away with that? When I purchase bacon, I now go
>> to the small packers at the local farmers market. I've never had
>> bacon from there that had any significant amount of water come out
>> during the cooking process. It's leaner than most store bought
>> bacon, and some people would like it more fatty. I don't have a
>> problem with it being leaner. It usually sells for around $4.49 -
>> $5.00 per pound. Not exactly sale prices, but acceptable. Sometimes
>> it's available for $3.99.
>>

> I get my bacon from the local Dutch butcher. He smokes his own. There are
> no liquids and artificial flavours injected. When I fry his bacon there
> is slight shrinkage as the fat is rendered. It is not like the supermarket
> bacon that shrinks as the injected water evaporates.

I make my own and get such results. Family and friends love it, and no
longer enjoy store bought bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
A Moose in Love > wrote:

> Some of the commercial large packing house bacon has lots of water in it.
> How do they get away with that? When I purchase bacon, I now go to the small
> packers at the local farmers market. I've never had bacon from there that
> had any significant amount of water come out during the cooking process.
> It's leaner than most store bought bacon, and some people would like it more
> fatty. I don't have a problem with it being leaner. It usually sells for
> around $4.49 - $5.00 per pound. Not exactly sale prices, but acceptable.
> Sometimes it's available for $3.99.

I sometimes dry cure and smoke the fatty end of a Boston butt off the
pork shoulder. No added water, plenty of lean and still enough fat, and
I get to choose the smoking wood. You can do the curing in your fridge
in a ziploc bag and there is no added water. Some times the butt is as
low as $1.99 a pound.

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> Some of the commercial large packing house bacon has lots of water in
> it.
>
>> I get my bacon from the local Dutch butcher.

He plugs his peepee in the 'dyke'! hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 5:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> What time of day do you start drinking, Shelly?

You wanting to hoist early, alky?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 5:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'll stick to Wrights brand