Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.

A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
actually "took".

This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
replaced.

I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can.
I'm not sure I'll be able to find one.

The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to
Publix.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
> actually "took".
>
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master
> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally
> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into
> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>
> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two
> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to
> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be
> able to find one.
>
> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading
> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least
> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>
> Jill

what, no helpful male neighbor? Changing a breaker is child's play.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:32:09 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>> actually "took".
>>
>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master
>> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
>> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally
>> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into
>> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
>> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>
>> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>> replaced.
>>
>> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two
>> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to
>> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
>> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
>> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
>> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be
>> able to find one.
>>
>> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading
>> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least
>> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>>
>> Jill

>what, no helpful male neighbor? Changing a breaker is child's play.

I suspect this breaker may be a GFCI breaker. (If it is, it will have
a test button).

You may be able to get it to work again by unplugging everything that
is on that breaker (the stuff that is currently dead) and trying to
reset it.

BTW it is good you have a warranty. GFCI breakers are expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 21:02:42 -0500, Metspitzer >
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:32:09 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:
>

>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>> actually "took".
>>>
>>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master
>>> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
>>> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally
>>> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into
>>> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
>>> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>>
>>> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>>> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>>> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>>> replaced.
>>>
>>> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>>> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two
>>> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to
>>> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
>>> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
>>> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
>>> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be
>>> able to find one.
>>>
>>> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>>> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading
>>> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least
>>> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>>>
>>> Jill

>>what, no helpful male neighbor? Changing a breaker is child's play.
>>

>I suspect this breaker may be a GFCI breaker. (If it is, it will have
>a test button).
>
>You may be able to get it to work again by unplugging everything that
>is on that breaker (the stuff that is currently dead) and trying to
>reset it.
>
>BTW it is good you have a warranty. GFCI breakers are expensive.

The freezer might be the problem. You can also test this by using a
drop cord and plugging it into a working outlet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 9:07 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

>> You may be able to get it to work again by unplugging everything that
>> is on that breaker (the stuff that is currently dead) and trying to
>> reset it.
>>
>> BTW it is good you have a warranty. GFCI breakers are expensive.

> The freezer might be the problem. You can also test this by using a
> drop cord and plugging it into a working outlet.

Freezer and refrigerators should never be on a GFCI breaker.

They cost from $25 to $75, much less than the premium on a home
warranty. Home warranties are a waste of money. The company is in
business to make a profit. Put that money in the bank and you can
afford any repair needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Metspitzer" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:32:09 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>> actually "took".
>>>
>>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>> master
>>> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
>>> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I
>>> finally
>>> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food
>>> into
>>> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
>>> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>>
>>> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>>> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>>> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>>> replaced.
>>>
>>> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>>> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
>>> two
>>> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand
>>> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
>>> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
>>> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
>>> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll
>>> be
>>> able to find one.
>>>
>>> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>>> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
>>> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at
>>> least
>>> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>>>
>>> Jill

>>what, no helpful male neighbor? Changing a breaker is child's play.
>>

> I suspect this breaker may be a GFCI breaker. (If it is, it will have
> a test button).

I wouldn't

> You may be able to get it to work again by unplugging everything that
> is on that breaker (the stuff that is currently dead) and trying to
> reset it.

that would be a worthwhile thing to try regardless.

> BTW it is good you have a warranty. GFCI breakers are expensive.

The service charge is the killer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.

> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

Get a heavy duty extension cord and plug the freezer into a different
circuit. Freezers don't take all that much power so most receptacle
will do as long as it is on another breaker..

Garage circuits are often on GFCI breakers or receptacles. Freezers
should not be plugged unto them because the cause the problem you are
seeing.

Don't renew that home warranty either. You may have peace of mind, but
they are costly and rare that a homeowner comes out ahead. Put that
money in the bank and come out way ahead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 3:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
> actually "took".
>
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

It might be that you're not supposed to be running a freezer in the
garage. OTOH, the first thing you should do is to replace the breaker -
they're surprisingly cheap. Getting a guy to do it for you might be
costly though.

> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
> two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
> stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
> out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
> working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
> can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm
> not sure I'll be able to find one.
>
> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
> at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to
> Publix.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
> actually "took".
>
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.
>
> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
> two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
> stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
> out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
> working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
> can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm
> not sure I'll be able to find one.
>
> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
> at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to
> Publix.
>
> Jill

I hate having electrical problems. I have an outside outlet plus some
motion sensor lights that aren't working and of course my brother says
don't call an electrician, that he'll come fix it. Well, a month later,
no fix. lol I won't bug him about it even though he offered. I'm just
going to call an electrician. Some of the motion sensor light light up
my driveway when I come home so I hate coming home to a dark driveway.
It will be fixed very soon one way or the other, but likely the way that
will cost me.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 9:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Don't renew that home warranty either. You may have peace of mind, but
> they are costly and rare that a homeowner comes out ahead. Put that
> money in the bank and come out way ahead.

AGREE! I had one that refused to service/replace the compressor on my
AC because I couldn't produce maintenance records. I had just bought
the house a year earlier. what a waste of money they were.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 10:29 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 3:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>> actually "took".
>>
>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

> It might be that you're not supposed to be running a freezer in the
> garage.

Thing is, my parents ran a much larger freezer from the time they built
the house. It was never a problem.

OTOH, the first thing you should do is to replace the breaker -
> they're surprisingly cheap. Getting a guy to do it for you might be
> costly though.

That's what I need, the switch replaced. I think. The electrical panel
is original to the 1987 house. Something was bound to go wrong at some
point.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 9:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.

>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

> Get a heavy duty extension cord and plug the freezer into a different
> circuit. Freezers don't take all that much power so most receptacle
> will do as long as it is on another breaker.

The problem with that is I'd have to leave the kitchen door ajar and
plug it in in the kitchen. (That breaker controls all the outlets in the
garage.) Leaving that door ajar is not really an ideal situation.
There are a lot of creepy-crawly things looking to come inside as the
temperature drops. No thanks!

I'll be taking some things over to stash in the neighbors' freezer tomorrow.

> Garage circuits are often on GFCI breakers or receptacles. Freezers
> should not be plugged unto them because the cause the problem you are
> seeing.

I have no idea what a GFCI receptacle is. As I said, my parents had a
large freezer plugged into this same outlet for many years. No
problems, unless you count a 23 year old freezer finally giving up the
ghost.

> Don't renew that home warranty either. You may have peace of mind, but
> they are costly and rare that a homeowner comes out ahead. Put that
> money in the bank and come out way ahead.

I don't pay much. My neighbor has the same type of warranty. Her house
has two water heaters. They replaced both when they died, just a meager
service charge/deductible.

They've sent plumbers to clear toilet problems that wound up being due
to clogs in the outflow valve. Under the foundation but of course there
is a place it cuts into the sewer line. Really, $75 for the service
call isn't all that much money. Nor is the about $500 a year I pay for
the home warranty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
> actually "took".
>
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

I am confused. Was the breaker hard to flip or did it keep tripping
when you flipped it? Breakers are easily replaced. If it is constantly
tripping it you might be overloading the circuit, or there could be as
wiring problem that is shorting it out causing it to trip.

> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
> two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
> stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
> out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
> working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
> can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm
> not sure I'll be able to find one.
>
> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
> at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to
> Publix.

How about running an extension cord to the freezer from a different
circuit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 5:33 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 10:29 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 11/26/2013 3:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>> actually "took".
>>>
>>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>>> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>>> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>>> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

>> It might be that you're not supposed to be running a freezer in the
>> garage.

> Thing is, my parents ran a much larger freezer from the time they built
> the house. It was never a problem.
>
> OTOH, the first thing you should do is to replace the breaker -
>> they're surprisingly cheap. Getting a guy to do it for you might be
>> costly though.
>>

> That's what I need, the switch replaced. I think. The electrical panel
> is original to the 1987 house. Something was bound to go wrong at some
> point.

I've had to replace the breakers in the places we lived several times.
They cost five bucks or so but I guess that's why they tend to break a
lot - they're built kind of cheaply.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 9:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Don't renew that home warranty either. You may have peace of mind, but
> they are costly and rare that a homeowner comes out ahead. Put that
> money in the bank and come out way ahead.

They can't be accused of providing good service. It sounds like the
furnace repair service my brother had contracted with. The guy didn't
want to come out on a Sunday night but my brother insisted. When he
finally came he could not fix it.... replace the fan belt because he
didn't have the part. Not much of an emergency repair service if they
don't even carry a supply of belts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 10:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>> actually "took".
>>
>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

> I am confused. Was the breaker hard to flip or did it keep tripping
> when you flipped it? Breakers are easily replaced.

When this happened a couple of months ago I reset every breaker in the
box. Literally. This one sounds like it's snapping to but it didn't
until I reset it several times. This time it won't set at all. It goes
right back to 'tripped'.

> tripping it you might be overloading the circuit, or there could be as
> wiring problem that is shorting it out causing it to trip.

It could be a wiring issue but hopefully just the breaker for that
circuit. I haven't plugged anything extra into that circuit since I've
lived here.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 6:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 10:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>> actually "took".
>>>
>>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>>> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>>> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>>> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

>> I am confused. Was the breaker hard to flip or did it keep tripping
>> when you flipped it? Breakers are easily replaced.

> When this happened a couple of months ago I reset every breaker in the
> box. Literally. This one sounds like it's snapping to but it didn't
> until I reset it several times. This time it won't set at all. It goes
> right back to 'tripped'.

Maybe you could duct tape it on to the on position. I've had this
happen. It means that the breaker in the box is broken.

>> tripping it you might be overloading the circuit, or there could be as
>> wiring problem that is shorting it out causing it to trip.

> It could be a wiring issue but hopefully just the breaker for that
> circuit. I haven't plugged anything extra into that circuit since I've
> lived here.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 11:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 6:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I am confused. Was the breaker hard to flip or did it keep tripping
>>> when you flipped it? Breakers are easily replaced.

>> When this happened a couple of months ago I reset every breaker in the
>> box. Literally. This one sounds like it's snapping to but it didn't
>> until I reset it several times. This time it won't set at all. It goes
>> right back to 'tripped'.

> Maybe you could duct tape it on to the on position. I've had this
> happen. It means that the breaker in the box is broken.

Yes, I already said I'm pretty sure the breaker is broken. I plan to
have it repaired. I'm not going to try to jury-rig it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>> actually "took".
>>
>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master
>> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
>> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally
>> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into
>> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
>> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>
>> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>> replaced.
>>
>> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two
>> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to
>> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
>> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
>> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
>> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be
>> able to find one.
>>
>> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading
>> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least
>> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>>
>> Jill

> what, no helpful male neighbor? Changing a breaker is child's play.

because everyone knows ... if you have a penis you can change a breaker

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 11:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> When this happened a couple of months ago I reset every breaker in the
>>> box. Literally. This one sounds like it's snapping to but it didn't
>>> until I reset it several times. This time it won't set at all. It goes
>>> right back to 'tripped'.

>> Maybe you could duct tape it on to the on position. I've had this
>> happen. It means that the breaker in the box is broken.
>>

> Yes, I already said I'm pretty sure the breaker is broken. I plan to
> have it repaired. I'm not going to try to jury-rig it.
>
> Jill

I can't tell what you see and feel. I would first unplug freezer, and try
to reset it.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> There's been a freezer in the garage since 1987 with no problems. Well,
> not until that first freezer finally conked out a couple of years ago.
> I really doubt the freezer is the issue.

You *do* know how to properly reset a tripped breaker, don't you? Not
to assume you don't know but some people don't. I'm just starting with
the basics, just in case.

As others said though, unplug everything then try to reset the
breaker. If that works, then one at a time, slowly, plug things back
in again.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:
>Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
>A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>actually "took".
>
>This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

Do you have an outdoor receptacle? I can understand why you
wouldn't want to leave the door from the garage to the house
open (several reasons, actually), but you can close the
garage door on a big, beefy extension cord without harming it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:56:27 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Get a heavy duty extension cord and plug the freezer into a different
> circuit. Freezers don't take all that much power so most receptacle
> will do as long as it is on another breaker..
>
> Garage circuits are often on GFCI breakers or receptacles. Freezers
> should not be plugged unto them because the cause the problem you are
> seeing.
>
> Don't renew that home warranty either. You may have peace of mind, but
> they are costly and rare that a homeowner comes out ahead. Put that
> money in the bank and come out way ahead.

Excellent advice except for one point. As
stated, when running, freezers do not need a
high amperage. However, when the compressor
first switches on it does have a high amperage
spike. I can easily imagine this overloading a
GFCI circuit.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
> actually "took".
>
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master
> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally
> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into
> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>
> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two
> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to
> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be
> able to find one.
>
> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading
> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least
> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>
> Jill

Simple just get an extension cord for the freezer till you get the breaker
fixed.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-27, tert in seattle > wrote:
> Pico Rico wrote:

>> what, no helpful male neighbor? Changing a breaker is child's play.

> because everyone knows ... if you have a penis you can change a breaker

Seems to me, a helpful link might be more useful than insults:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...er/install.htm

I bet even Home Depot has some flyer or such on how to change a
breaker. BTW, I used to work with a very nice lady electrician. She
certainly knew more about electrical than I, and I've done my share.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-27, tert in seattle > wrote:
>> Pico Rico wrote:

>>> what, no helpful male neighbor? Changing a breaker is child's play.

>> because everyone knows ... if you have a penis you can change a breaker

> Seems to me, a helpful link might be more useful than insults:
>
> http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...er/install.htm
>
> I bet even Home Depot has some flyer or such on how to change a
> breaker. BTW, I used to work with a very nice lady electrician. She
> certainly knew more about electrical than I, and I've done my share.
>
> nb

did you feel a spark?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:23:24 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
>A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>actually "took".

snip

>Jill

This is silly simple, but just checking. Have you added any
electrical device (new or moved) to any of the area served by this
particular circuit? One item could cause the breaker to trip if all
items were on at the same time. It could be an odd circumstance when
all are on and that is why it trips infrequently.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 08:30:32 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:23:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>>A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>actually "took".

>snip
>>
>>Jill

>This is silly simple, but just checking. Have you added any
>electrical device (new or moved) to any of the area served by this
>particular circuit? One item could cause the breaker to trip if all
>items were on at the same time. It could be an odd circumstance when
>all are on and that is why it trips infrequently.
>Janet US

The trouble has shown up most likely because it is raining. If the
breaker is a GFCI, damp weather will cause them to trip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is....

The Virginia townhouse we just moved out of had this same odd
arrangement -- the garage outlets were on the same circuit as the master
bathroom, up on the third floor. When something kicked the garage
refrigerator off, the first thing to do was to check the GFCI outlet in
the upstairs bathroom.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2013 9:13 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is....

> The Virginia townhouse we just moved out of had this same odd
> arrangement -- the garage outlets were on the same circuit as the master
> bathroom, up on the third floor. When something kicked the garage
> refrigerator off, the first thing to do was to check the GFCI outlet in
> the upstairs bathroom.
>
> -- Larry

A frig should never be on a gfi circuit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2013 8:26 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

>>> because everyone knows ... if you have a penis you can change a breaker

>> Seems to me, a helpful link might be more useful than insults:
>>
>> http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...er/install.htm
>>
>> I bet even Home Depot has some flyer or such on how to change a
>> breaker. BTW, I used to work with a very nice lady electrician. She
>> certainly knew more about electrical than I, and I've done my share.
>>
>> nb

> did you feel a spark?

Common ground?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 09:15:43 -0700, "Pearl F. Buck"
> wrote:

>On 11/27/2013 9:13 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is....

>> The Virginia townhouse we just moved out of had this same odd
>> arrangement -- the garage outlets were on the same circuit as the master
>> bathroom, up on the third floor. When something kicked the garage
>> refrigerator off, the first thing to do was to check the GFCI outlet in
>> the upstairs bathroom.
>>
>> -- Larry
>>

>A frig should never be on a gfi circuit.

Like you say, it shouldn't be. I don't know how a home warranty
works, but it would be worth a try to get a separate outlet installed
for the freezer.

I think new codes even require the freezer on a GFCI (in the garage),
but it shouldn't be so overloaded that it trips. The freezer should
be on a separate circuit, even if that separate circuit is a GFCI.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2013 11:56 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

>> A frig should never be on a gfi circuit.

> Like you say, it shouldn't be. I don't know how a home warranty
> works, but it would be worth a try to get a separate outlet installed
> for the freezer.

Home warranty works like this. You pay the warranty company money. If
something breaks, they spend as little as possible to get things working
again and keep the rest of the money. Put that $500 a year into a
saving account and you can handle just about anything needed around the
house.

In today's money I've been a homeowner for 48 years. Paying for a
warranty would have been $24,000 over that time. Over the years I've
replaced most every appliance we have and the heater in my present
house. I'm about $10,000 ahead and I have the top of the line
appliances I want, not some cheap crap or overhaul by a warranty
company. Stuff wears out and then you replace it.

GFCI outlets are required in garages as well as bathrooms and outdoors.
It would be against code to run a circuit out there that is not GFCI.
Even if you want to, it is not a warranty situation at all and they
would pay nothing. That is between you and the electrician.

> I think new codes even require the freezer on a GFCI (in the garage),
> but it shouldn't be so overloaded that it trips. The freezer should
> be on a separate circuit, even if that separate circuit is a GFCI.

Seems that is the case
http://www.esgroundingsolutions.com/...a-refrigerator

—¾In a Dwelling Unit (house or apartment) refrigerators located inside
the kitchen do NOT have to have a GFCI. See 210.8(A)(6), Exhibit
210.13, 210.52(B)(1), 210.52(B)(2), 210.52(B)(3), and Exhibit 210.28.
If the circuit feeding the refrigerator outlet is branched to any other
outlet, it must be a 20-A circuit. If the circuit feeding the
refrigerator outlet is a dedicated individual circuit, than it can be
either 15-A or 20-A.
—¾In a garage or an unfinished basement of a Dwelling unit, the
refrigerator must have a GFCI circuit. In fact ALL outlets must be GFCI
in garages and unfinished basements. See 210.8(A)(2) and Exhibit 210.10.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-27 12:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Home warranty works like this. You pay the warranty company money. If
> something breaks, they spend as little as possible to get things working
> again and keep the rest of the money. Put that $500 a year into a
> saving account and you can handle just about anything needed around the
> house.

In Jill's case it seems that she pays the premiums and when there is a
problem they do nothing. FWIW, last year I had a problem with the 220
line to my kitchen range. I called an electrician who a friend had
recommended. He was working on a a job nearby and came by when he was
done there. He found the and fixed the problem, checked for other issues
charged me only $60 cash. A plumber charges $95 just to show up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:51:24 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/27/2013 11:56 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
>
>>> A frig should never be on a gfi circuit.

>> Like you say, it shouldn't be. I don't know how a home warranty
>> works, but it would be worth a try to get a separate outlet installed
>> for the freezer.

>Home warranty works like this. You pay the warranty company money. If
>something breaks, they spend as little as possible to get things working
>again and keep the rest of the money. Put that $500 a year into a
>saving account and you can handle just about anything needed around the
>house.
>
>In today's money I've been a homeowner for 48 years. Paying for a
>warranty would have been $24,000 over that time. Over the years I've
>replaced most every appliance we have and the heater in my present
>house. I'm about $10,000 ahead and I have the top of the line
>appliances I want, not some cheap crap or overhaul by a warranty
>company. Stuff wears out and then you replace it.
>
>GFCI outlets are required in garages as well as bathrooms and outdoors.
> It would be against code to run a circuit out there that is not GFCI.
> Even if you want to, it is not a warranty situation at all and they
>would pay nothing. That is between you and the electrician.
>

>> I think new codes even require the freezer on a GFCI (in the garage),
>> but it shouldn't be so overloaded that it trips. The freezer should
>> be on a separate circuit, even if that separate circuit is a GFCI.
>>

>Seems that is the case
>http://www.esgroundingsolutions.com/...a-refrigerator
>
>?In a Dwelling Unit (house or apartment) refrigerators located inside
>the kitchen do NOT have to have a GFCI. See 210.8(A)(6), Exhibit
>210.13, 210.52(B)(1), 210.52(B)(2), 210.52(B)(3), and Exhibit 210.28.
>If the circuit feeding the refrigerator outlet is branched to any other
>outlet, it must be a 20-A circuit. If the circuit feeding the
>refrigerator outlet is a dedicated individual circuit, than it can be
>either 15-A or 20-A.
>?In a garage or an unfinished basement of a Dwelling unit, the
>refrigerator must have a GFCI circuit. In fact ALL outlets must be GFCI
>in garages and unfinished basements. See 210.8(A)(2) and Exhibit 210.10.

This would be a good time to put the freezer on a separate outlet. It
could save some trouble down the road.

Using a hair dryer at the same time as the freezer cycles on could
easily cause a trip. Of course, if she was drying her hair when the
breaker tripped, she would be aware of it.

If she could convince the electrician when he comes out that the
freezer should be on a separate circuit, she may get it done for free.
(I know this is a low probability)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2013 8:10 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

> This would be a good time to put the freezer on a separate outlet. It
> could save some trouble down the road.

She had no problems for years using the lines so a new line would
probably not be appealing because of the costs. At least, that's my
position if it was my money paying for it. It's better to simply solve
the problem which seems easy enough.

Checking out the breaker is simple. If the breaker toggle will not latch
onto the on position, the breaker is broken. If it stays on for a while,
even a few seconds, there could be a short in the circuit. In that case,
you would start unpluging stuff.

> Using a hair dryer at the same time as the freezer cycles on could
> easily cause a trip. Of course, if she was drying her hair when the
> breaker tripped, she would be aware of it.
>
> If she could convince the electrician when he comes out that the
> freezer should be on a separate circuit, she may get it done for free.
> (I know this is a low probability)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
> actually "took".
>
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master
> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally
> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into
> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>
> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two
> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to
> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be
> able to find one.
>
> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading
> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least
> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.

Go get a extension cord. Plug the fridge into a working outlet.

Voila, problem over.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2013 12:48 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>> actually "took".
>>
>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master
>> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
>> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally
>> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into
>> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
>> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>
>> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>> replaced.
>>
>> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two
>> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to
>> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
>> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
>> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
>> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be
>> able to find one.
>>
>> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading
>> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least
>> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>>

> Go get a extension cord. Plug the fridge into a working outlet.
>
> Voila, problem over.

You should _never_ use an extension cord on a fridge, never...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pearl F. Buck" > wrote in message
> On 11/27/2013 12:48 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>> actually "took".
>>>
>>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>> master
>>> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
>>> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I
>>> finally
>>> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food
>>> into
>>> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
>>> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>>
>>> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>>> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>>> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>>> replaced.
>>>
>>> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>>> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
>>> two
>>> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand
>>> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
>>> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
>>> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
>>> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll
>>> be
>>> able to find one.
>>>
>>> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>>> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
>>> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at
>>> least
>>> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>>>

>> Go get a extension cord. Plug the fridge into a working outlet.
>>
>> Voila, problem over.

> You should _never_ use an extension cord on a fridge, never...

yes, NEVER, even as a temporary measure to prevent loss of a fridge or
freezer full of food. Yes, NEVER! (rolling eyes).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pearl F. Buck" > wrote in message
> On 11/27/2013 12:48 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>> actually "took".
>>>
>>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>> master
>>> bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in
>>> the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I
>>> finally
>>> got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food
>>> into
>>> the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some
>>> things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>>
>>> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>>> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>>> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>>> replaced.
>>>
>>> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>>> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
>>> two
>>> days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand
>>> lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here
>>> tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on
>>> Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it
>>> tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll
>>> be
>>> able to find one.
>>>
>>> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>>> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
>>> a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at
>>> least
>>> I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix.
>>>

>> Go get a extension cord. Plug the fridge into a working outlet.
>>
>> Voila, problem over.

> You should _never_ use an extension cord on a fridge, never...

They just how would you use a generator during a power outage without an
extension cord?

Robert