Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pierogies

I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies on a whim. Does anyone have
a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies on a whim. Does anyone have
> a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!

Definitely heat them up first.

G.

Seriously though....great for a snack or great for a meal. Your side
additions depends on your tastes. Use your imagination@

G. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:35:07 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 11:26:50 -0500, Tara wrote:
>

> > I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies

> Super bland. I don't buy those any more.
>

> > on a whim. Does anyone have

> > a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!

> Sautée with butter and lots of onions with FGBP. I like to get mine
>
> browned and crispy-chewy (you have to move the onions out of the way
>
> and let them touch the bottom of the pan for that).

Same way my mother made 'em. She made 'em from scratch tho - using Farmer's Cheese with a very little finely chopped onion for the filling. Fried em in real butter in the large cast iron pan. I could prob. rustle up her dough recipe somewhere if I tried.

Had to go to "the little Polish store" tho just for that cheese as it wasn't readily avail in the markets back then. Octogenarian proprietress barely spoke English and had snow white hair and the smoothest skin.

Mom tried those frozen things many years later and pronounced them a fraud..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 11:26:50 -0500, Tara wrote:
>
> > I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies

> Super bland. I don't buy those any more.
>
> > on a whim. Does anyone have
> > a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!

> Sautée with butter and lots of onions with FGBP. I like to get mine
> browned and crispy-chewy (you have to move the onions out of the way
> and let them touch the bottom of the pan for that).
>
> -sw

^ This. Preferably topped with a dab of sour cream as well, and I
recommend Mexican style sour cream as it is more flavorful than the
regular stuff which seems to have lost most of it's flavor probably due
to the 5gal/day breeds of cows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:26:50 AM UTC-6, Tara wrote:
> I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies on a whim. Does anyone have
>
> a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!
>

> Tara

Put them into a pot of boiling water...they will go to the bottom.
Stir gently until they all float...don't boil too long or they will
get tough. Use slotted spoon, remove to plate...butter with real
butter NOT !@#$% margarine. Swirl into a bit of sour cream...delicious.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
>I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies on a whim. Does anyone have
> a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!

I like them boiled then served with brown butter and onions. Husband
prefers his fried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Today was the first time I tasted, much less cooked, pierogies. I
caramelized lots of onion in butter, pushed the onions to the side, and
browned the pierogies well on both sides. We ate them with pork
tenderloin and gravy, with some fruit on the side. I am hooked! I can
see pierogies as an easy freezer meal.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote:
> I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies on a whim. Does anyone have
> a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!
>
> Tara

Butter, fried, after boiling. Onions.

I just thought about how tasty my grandmothers, and mothers, lekvar
pierogies were, in addition to potato stuffed ones. That's been years ago.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2013 5:52 PM, Tara wrote:

> Today was the first time I tasted, much less cooked, pierogies. I
> caramelized lots of onion in butter, pushed the onions to the side, and
> browned the pierogies well on both sides. We ate them with pork
> tenderloin and gravy, with some fruit on the side. I am hooked! I can
> see pierogies as an easy freezer meal.
>
> Tara

I have some homemade pierogies in the freezer and a pork tenderloin in
the fridge. I have some fresh spinach and fresh greenbeans to use up so
I'm thinking this is going to be my Sunday dinner. I have plenty of
onions so I'm going to try the onions in butter method to fry up the
pierogies.

--
CAPSLOCK€“Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-28 17:42:59 +0000, Roy said:

> Put them into a pot of boiling water...they will go to the bottom.
> Stir gently until they all float...don't boil too long or they will
> get tough. Use slotted spoon, remove to plate...butter with real
> butter NOT !@#$% margarine. Swirl into a bit of sour cream...delicious.

Precisely the way we do them. It's important for me, though not the
wife, to have some fresh-ground pepper on them. That's the way my mom
always did them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-28 16:26:50 +0000, Tara said:

> I bought a box of Mrs. T's frozen pierogies on a whim. Does anyone have
> a favorite way to serve pierogies? Thanks in advance!

We have a place nearby, Moscow Deli, run by three Russian ladies who
always have a lot of "bin food" for take out or dine in at either of
their two two-top tables. They make their own everything and peirogies
are one. So they have two or three kinds frozen in the cooler.
Ogodamighty they are good.

How 'bout that. They mush have gained a son-in-law because now they
have a web site:

http://www.moscowdeli.com

With almost nothing on it but their lunch pick-up menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:46:50 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

> I have some homemade pierogies in the freezer and a pork tenderloin in
> the fridge. I have some fresh spinach and fresh greenbeans to use up so
> I'm thinking this is going to be my Sunday dinner. I have plenty of
> onions so I'm going to try the onions in butter method to fry up the
> pierogies.

Please report back! I'd love to hear how you used the spinach and green
beans.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 01:32:30 +0000, gregz wrote:

> I just thought about how tasty my grandmothers, and mothers, lekvar
> pierogies were, in addition to potato stuffed ones. That's been years
> ago.

I had to look up lekvar. It looks like it could refer to prune or
apricot filling. Both sound delicious. Which did you have? Did you
have some sour cream on the side?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 01:32:30 +0000, gregz wrote:
>
>> I just thought about how tasty my grandmothers, and mothers, lekvar
>> pierogies were, in addition to potato stuffed ones. That's been years
>> ago.

> I had to look up lekvar. It looks like it could refer to prune or
> apricot filling. Both sound delicious. Which did you have? Did you
> have some sour cream on the side?
>
> Tara

Prune. Nothing else except the potato filled ones. I don't know how it
would fare with me know. I can think of many things to put on the inside.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

World's largest pierogy -- this is fun.

http://autos.ca.msn.com/specials/roa...llery.aspx?cp-
documentid=25006899&page=4

Tara

improv pierogies Somebody General Cooking 12 03-01-2013 11:52 PM
Pierogies! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 2 04-04-2012 10:20 PM
Western Style Pierogies Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 13-03-2006 08:03 AM